ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz Defender... Until Now!

KinnickCrawler

Scout Team
Dec 3, 2011
So, I've been pretty adamant about defending Kirk Ferentz until this morning when I watched a game recap from TheHawkeyeHistorian (link here). When was the last time we've seen Ferentz legitimately fired up like that? It's hard not to feel like he's lost his spark.

Interview is at 2:38.

Last edited:
Up 22 with under 3:00 to play and he kicks a field goal!
Today I'm guessing he'd have the QB take a knee.

It's the same thing that happened with hayden fry, sometimes you can be in one place too long and you lose your enthusiasm and fire. Kinda like I have in my job. :(

Last edited:
This is what causes you to stop defending KF? I actually disagree with you because I remember him going off the past couple years.

Not buying this. He almost got flagged a couple times last year alone. I think it was the Wisconsin game, but I could be wrong, where it looked like he was going to take down a ref.

Other reasons why it is bogus: (a) unless you attend every Iowa game and make it your purpose to watch Ferentz exclusively, you most certainly have missed other instances where KF exhibited similar behavior; (b) unless you are a player, staff member, or otherwise allowed into the locker room, you have absolutely no idea how Ferentz interacts with his team before, during halftime, or after a game; and (c) you do not have to perform Paul Rhodes type sideline hysterics to effectively communicate your passion to the team -which is, after all, your most important audience.

Of all the reasons to dislike Ferentz, this is by far the weakest.

Not buying this. He almost got flagged a couple times last year alone. I think it was the Wisconsin game, but I could be wrong, where it looked like he was going to take down a ref.

Other reasons why it is bogus: (a) unless you attend every Iowa game and make it your purpose to watch Ferentz exclusively, you most certainly have missed other instances where KF exhibited similar behavior; (b) unless you are a player, staff member, or otherwise allowed into the locker room, you have absolutely no idea how Ferentz interacts with his team before, during halftime, or after a game; and (c) you do not have to perform Paul Rhodes type sideline hysterics to effectively communicate your passion to the team -which is, after all, your most important audience.

Of all the reasons to dislike Ferentz, this is by far the weakest.
Amen. There's things i don't like about KF but how fired up he is on the sideline is the dumbest thing to complain about.

Reactions: And1Hawk
It's the same thing that happened with hayden fry, sometimes you can be in one place too long and you lose your enthusiasm and fire. Kinda like I have in my job. :(
So your underlings have grown tired of you and/or you have people on message boards ripping you for not having the same passion and fire for your job as you used to and are calling for your resignation?

Nice, man, niiice...

To be a great coach today you have to...

Love to recruit...24/7...

Be flexible and creative in your schemes...

Relate to younger players, especially minorities...

Well...I guess that is all I have to say about that...

Reactions: icu81222
So your underlings have grown tired of you and/or you have people on message boards ripping you for not having the same passion and fire for your job as you used to and are calling for your resignation?

Nice, man, niiice...

Umm...im self employed, so no, no one is effected by anything I do. So nice try man, niiice

Reactions: icu81222
So, I've been pretty adamant about defending Kirk Ferentz until this morning when I watched a game recap from TheHawkeyeHistorian (link here). When was the last time we've seen Ferentz legitimately fired up like that? It's hard not to feel like he's lost his spark.

What's a Kinnick crawler?

One of the most adamant times that I've seen Kirk was the Husker game this yr. Was across the field in the stands when saw him start yelling at the ref, threw his head phones on the ground, and was held back from the ref by some of his assistant coaches. He got a 15 yd. penalty. Had to ask the Hawk fan next to me if that was Ferentz because I couldn't remember ever seeing him that angry.

I'd much rather have Ferentz's demeanor on the sideline then Bo, former coach of Ne. or Brian Kelly, coach of ND. I think it gives the players stability and sense that Kirk knows what he's doing without wearing his emotions on his" sleeve".

gay_dance.gif

Reactions: naturalmwa
Demeanor on the sidelines, is much like play calling, and time management. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
Yell and scream 24/7 and win-you have great passion
Yell and scream while losing-you're out of control

Remain calm and win-you don't get to high or to low. Control the situation
Remain calm and lose-You don't have enough emotion

OMG, THIS is your gripe??

And you never noticed his sideline demeanor before in the last 17 years.

Wasted bandwidth.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT