ADVERTISEMENT

Ferentz Tailbacks

ozziesimmons22

Team MVP
Gold Member
May 7, 2015
Was interested in reading which back during the Ferentz era people thought was the best. Only criteria is that the player be recruited by Ferentz.

My vote: Jermelle Lewis

Oh, and let's just take into account what we saw on the field.

Shonn Greene was tough to pass up.

Last edited:
Shonn Greene. If he had a second year, he'd surpass Lewis on everyone's book, I think.
Not in any order-
Greene
Russell
Young
Coker
Lewis,injuries hindered him. Could have been the best,maybe not...Prolly the highest rated rb he has signed? Maybe between Garmon and Lewis for that "honor"?

I have to wonder if Lewis would've had any kind of success in the NFL like Ladell Betts and Shonn Greene had, if he hadn't torn his ACL.

Greene was probably the most NFL-ready RB Iowa has had in the last quarter of a century, and even he hasn't exactly lit the pros on fire, though unfortunately a lot of the success you have in the pros comes down to landing in the right place and the right time and for guys like Greene and Robert Gallery, it wasn't exactly the best situation they could've ended up in (with the roller coaster Jets and faltering Raiders).

Though it is worth noting that Greene hasn't been wholly unsuccessful, as he set a Jets playoff record (his rookie season I think) and is often used as a secondary back. He's just never going to be a feature back.

I still think about Aaron Grieving.

He actually helped the team by quitting, as he was seeing way too much PT.

Just another personnel blunder from Captain Dumbass.

The list of quality tailbacks is actually pretty damn pathetic from a 16 year HC that likes to think of himself as a running coach. I'd take Adam Robinson over just about everyone listed here other than Greene and Russell.

Reactions: NI hawk
From the article about Grieving giving up football during the season...

Grieving, hampered by ankle and hip injuries this year told Coach Ferentz of his decision.

KF-"Aaron has battled significant injury problems since the spring and at this time he feels he needs a break from football."

Injuries kept him out of spring and fall practice and for parts of the beginning of the season. He had 39 carries for 120 yards before he made his decision to leave the team.

Anyone know who had more speed, Lewis or Greene?

Just watched the Iowa-MSU 2010 highlights, and, for one game at least, Adam Robinson was dang good. Of course they are only showing the good stuff.

Anyone know who had more speed, Lewis or Greene?

Just watched the Iowa-MSU 2010 highlights, and, for one game at least, Adam Robinson was dang good. Of course they are only showing the good stuff.
Here is some info on Lewis from his high school days(before the knee injury)-6th best rb in the nation. Superprep 1st team All American,All state first team as a jr and sr. Connecticut Gatorade player of the year award winner. Best time of 4.3 in the 40. New England indoor state champ in the 55 and 100 meter dash. I'll go with Lewis before the injury(s).

Reactions: ozziesimmons22
He is, to me. But there will be others that look at career numbers, and not individual players.

Nobody with a half a brain would put Shonn Greene behind anyone on a list of Ferentz-era RBs.

Even heat_dog and soybean wouldn't be that stupid.

Of all the guys listed, everyone is forgetting the lone three-year starter at tailback under Ferentz. I mean, a guy starting for three years that the position must inevitably be a big 10 all time great. Step forward mr...

Mark Weismann! Lol

Greene, betts, Russell, Lewis, young in that order think top 5 backs in KF era. Robinson, Coker, wegher potential but all flamed out due to various reason some more unfortunate than others, ie Coker.

Betts is like gatens or cole from bball great player who played on some bad teams.

On-the-field performance aside, Aaron Greving has to head the list of RB's whose name has been misspelled the most.

Ladell Betts was a great back, but I think he was recruited by Fry, could be wrong.

Lewis didn't play a ton, but I feel what he showed when he did, could put him at the top of the list.

I also think Ferentz has had a considerable amount of good, to great tailbacks. Unfortunately, too many got hurt or left. And at Iowa, that hurts badly. If his teams could have played the ones, with some deserving twos giving relief(I'm referring to all positions, now)every year, I think his record would be significantly better. However, that's a reality of football. Teams with good depth have a great advantage. See OSU winning a national title with a third string quarterback.

Last edited:
Nobody with a half a brain would put Shonn Greene behind anyone on a list of Ferentz-era RBs.

Even heat_dog and soybean wouldn't be that stupid.

No, Shonn Greene was the best RB of the Ferentz era so far and it isn't even close.

Reactions: NI hawk
This thread absolutely proves that people want the "could be/coulda been" far more than they actually want production.

sam_and_paki.jpg

This thread absolutely proves that people want the "could be/coulda been" far more than they actually want production.
That goes for the high expectation/Ferentz - hater crowd too....

They aren't complaining about a lack of actual production without complaining about the could've been and should've done this and that's first.

Juuuuuust sayin. #victoryismine

Wegher definitely had the potential while at Iowa, to be at the top of the list. 1. Greene 2. Lewis 3. Russell

List is correct, but I don't think Wegher bumps anyone but Russell on a talent level. Greene and Lewis were unreal...Russell benefited from a NFL caliber zone blocking scheme that fit his style perfectly. I think Wegher had potential for the 3 spot...but as good as he was, I didn't see talent ahead of Greene and Lewis.

Of all the guys listed, everyone is forgetting the lone three-year starter at tailback under Ferentz. I mean, a guy starting for three years that the position must inevitably be a big 10 all time great. Step forward mr...

Mark Weismann! Lol

Let's hope the new "running game coordinator" can prevent something like this from EVER happening again...

Virtually impossible to get through any thread without people taking pot shots at KF. Sad when every thread gets high jacked.

Greene
Lewis (closer than people think)
Russell
Young
Sims
Hampton
Wegher
Coker

I really love reading ANYTHING about Hawkeye football, and I will therefore never stop reading these postings from other fans. I've been doing this for about twelve years, but don't even have a hundred posts. Honestly, it's hard to set yourself up for the beatings we take here when we are considered to be drinkers of the Kool-Aid.

It was a joy to read my felloe fans' ideas about the great backs of the Ferentz era.

But I sometimes wonder what has happened to us when some of us can't even celebrate the 'best' we have produced without denigrating one of the 'best' contributors we ever produced. Extra heartbeat; playing out of position without the requisite speed to do so, but doing whatever the team needed; one of the best touchdown machines we ever produced; a great blocker and a fine fullback; a kid who gave and gave and rarely asked in return; a man who built himself into someone who could take a Big Ten pounding and keep coming back for more; a good citizen; a guy who just might make it as a fullback in the pros, and will live an honorable life. Mark Weisman is not a punch-line.

I know! I know! I'm the same guy who wrote in support of Jake Rudock, (suggesting Davey O'Brien potential for him this year) without ever denigrating CJ - in whom I also have great confidence and for whom I also have great hopes - and we have a songwriting connection ;-)

If you go back far enough, you will discover that I do, indeed, have a prejudice here - for my Father was a major college head football coach a half century ago, and I remember what it was like to listen to the vitriol poured out on his head for simply doing the very best he could, giving his heart and his blood, always; trying to live as a coach with a conscience. He was my hero, and when Hayden Fry came to Iowa, I found a lot in common in those two men whom I admired. In decidedly different ways, I have a similar respect for the Captain. Do I disagree with him from time to time? Sure. Do I wish we had won a few more recently? Of course. But I also felt that way about Hayden and about my Dad. So don't count me in the Ferentz haters column either. I still believe.

Okay. Pile on.

Easily the most underrated back in the Ferentz era, and a victim of the all too familiar Ferentz playing his favorites pattern...is Damian Sims. The guy literally averaged TEN yards per carry as a sophomore (30 carries for 300 yards), but always played second team and never got many carries or got into a groove (like CJ Bethard last year) in his career. He ran a legit 4.4 40, and ended up averaging 5 1/2 yrds per carry for his career. He played behind Albert Young for 3 years, who averaged 4 1/2 yrds per carry.

We will never know what could have been with Sims.

As for Weisman, he is not a punch line...the fact that a guy with a 5.0 40 yrd dash was the starting RB at a Big 10 school for 3 years is a reflection on the COACH (both his personnel decisions and his inability to recruit), not Mark. Mark tried hard...but at any other D1 school he's not a starting TB for 3 yrs.

Lol at the "he averaged 10 ypc ", guy, man how dumb could a coaching staff be! Oh brother.

I really love reading ANYTHING about Hawkeye football, and I will therefore never stop reading these postings from other fans. I've been doing this for about twelve years, but don't even have a hundred posts. Honestly, it's hard to set yourself up for the beatings we take here when we are considered to be drinkers of the Kool-Aid.

It was a joy to read my felloe fans' ideas about the great backs of the Ferentz era.

But I sometimes wonder what has happened to us when some of us can't even celebrate the 'best' we have produced without denigrating one of the 'best' contributors we ever produced. Extra heartbeat; playing out of position without the requisite speed to do so, but doing whatever the team needed; one of the best touchdown machines we ever produced; a great blocker and a fine fullback; a kid who gave and gave and rarely asked in return; a man who built himself into someone who could take a Big Ten pounding and keep coming back for more; a good citizen; a guy who just might make it as a fullback in the pros, and will live an honorable life. Mark Weisman is not a punch-line.

I know! I know! I'm the same guy who wrote in support of Jake Rudock, (suggesting Davey O'Brien potential for him this year) without ever denigrating CJ - in whom I also have great confidence and for whom I also have great hopes - and we have a songwriting connection ;-)

If you go back far enough, you will discover that I do, indeed, have a prejudice here - for my Father was a major college head football coach a half century ago, and I remember what it was like to listen to the vitriol poured out on his head for simply doing the very best he could, giving his heart and his blood, always; trying to live as a coach with a conscience. He was my hero, and when Hayden Fry came to Iowa, I found a lot in common in those two men whom I admired. In decidedly different ways, I have a similar respect for the Captain. Do I disagree with him from time to time? Sure. Do I wish we had won a few more recently? Of course. But I also felt that way about Hayden and about my Dad. So don't count me in the Ferentz haters column either. I still believe.

Okay. Pile on.

Meh, you're just gross

Okay. Pile on.

Nobody is saying that Weisman didn't have the heart of a lion, he was simply put in an impossible situation by our shitty coaching staff.

You might love cheering on under-appreciated walk-ons to 7-5 records, but most of us do not.

Our coaches proved with Jake and Mark that it doesn't matter how good you are they will continue to trot out lesser players that they like. They are paid to win games. The good coaches play their best players. The coaches with lifetime contracts play whoever they like the most. Add Willies to the long list of good talents that sat behind lesser players.

He's in the Top 5 about any way that you figure it.

No way.

Greene is in a class by himself and Lewis was probably the most physically talented before his knee injuries.

After that there's atleast 5 more guys that I would take over Wegher.

Russel, Young, Sims, Coker, Hampton, Robinson off the top of my head.

Easily the most underrated back in the Ferentz era, and a victim of the all too familiar Ferentz playing his favorites pattern...is Damian Sims. The guy literally averaged TEN yards per carry as a sophomore (30 carries for 300 yards), but always played second team and never got many carries or got into a groove (like CJ Bethard last year) in his career. He ran a legit 4.4 40, and ended up averaging 5 1/2 yrds per carry for his career. He played behind Albert Young for 3 years, who averaged 4 1/2 yrds per carry.

We will never know what could have been with Sims.

As for Weisman, he is not a punch line...the fact that a guy with a 5.0 40 yrd dash was the starting RB at a Big 10 school for 3 years is a reflection on the COACH (both his personnel decisions and his inability to recruit), not Mark. Mark tried hard...but at any other D1 school he's not a starting TB for 3 yrs.

Young was a slightly better back than Sims IMO. It's very simillar to Shaw and Banks.

One guy was a home run hitter and one guy got the tough yards.

What put Young over the top IMO was his pass catching vs Sims tendency to fumble .

Sims probably should have got a few more carries but Greene was third string a couple of those years and was getting some carries too.

As for Weisman he actually ran a faster 40 than that, think around 4.7 but it was his latteral agility or lack there of that really made him better suited to be a full back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT