ADVERTISEMENT

Fran Twitter rumor: Arkansas

Most fans will never put Fron on the same level as KF but if he makes the sweet 16 I will. If he makes the elite 8 certainly, a final 4 and he has surpassed him.

I disagree. Kirk delivers predictable and sometimes stellar performance on the field every year and he is flooding the NFL with Iowa coaches talent at a level with blue chip schools. Fran has a roster full of Jake Christensen’s. Kirk has delivered a perfect regular season. Fran can’t keep ANY of his teams from taking a late February dump in their pants.

Fran is mediocrity with a bark.

Reaves was going to be the starter until he got hurt. Once he was hurt, BJ had the starting job and never let go of it.

Under Raveling? BJ started 3 games. The three Banks did not start.

That may have happened under Davis.

Under Raveling? BJ started 3 games. The three Banks did not start.

That may have happened under Davis.
This is correct. Reaves was listed as starter in Davis first year until he got hurt. FWIW, B.J was set to transfer until meeting with Davis. IIRC he was looking at directional schools as he didn't believe, after first year under Raveling, that he could play at Big 10 level.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
Fran seems extremely likable, very engaging off the court, articulate, etc. Beyond that, he stopped the steady stream of transfers that plagued us under Alford and especially Lickliter, which speaks to his likability from the players.

Certainly a flip switches when he is on the sidelines and his likability drops like a rock if you happen to be a ref or opposing fan, but generally speaking, Fran's likability is far from the top of my complaints or concerns.

Yeah, from everything you hear about him off the court from the media that covers him (both locally and nationally), along with regular people that have run into him or talk to him and know him somewhat personally, they all talk about how likeable he is. And almost all his players have raved about him - both current and former - and the reason that players leave is almost all because of playing time (even Trey Dickerson said some great things about him being there for him after he left).

I don't know the guy but have seen him at a few Junior Hawk things as well as him just being a fan at Hawkeye baseball games and he has always been very nice to my kids in passing and in watching him interact with other fans and people that approach him, he has always been very engaging and polite.

It's just how he is perceived and talked about while on the court that gives him a bad reputation.

Yeah, from everything you hear about him off the court from the media that covers him (both locally and nationally), along with regular people that have run into him or talk to him and know him somewhat personally, they all talk about how likeable he is. And almost all his players have raved about him - both current and former - and the reason that players leave is almost all because of playing time (even Trey Dickerson said some great things about him being there for him after he left).

I don't know the guy but have seen him at a few Junior Hawk things as well as him just being a fan at Hawkeye baseball games and he has always been very nice to my kids in passing and in watching him interact with other fans and people that approach him, he has always been very engaging and polite.

It's just how he is perceived and talked about while on the court that gives him a bad reputation.
Other coaches really seem to like him as well.

Off court, Fran is an outstanding coach. He truly cares about his players, chooses high character kids, and watches out for them. On court, Fran has some weaknesses, especially on the defensive end and getting them to play with toughness. Adding the right assistant could make a big difference.

Off court, Fran is an outstanding coach. He truly cares about his players, chooses high character kids, and watches out for them. On court, Fran has some weaknesses, especially on the defensive end and getting them to play with toughness. Adding the right assistant could make a big difference.

Oh yeah, I definitely agree. I am middle of the road on him right now. I wouldn't be pissed if he were to leave but I don't necessarily want him gone either (because of what looks to be in the pipeline for next year and potentially beyond AND because I have yet to see anyone give a VIABLE answer to what they think Iowa can/will do to hit a home run to replace him with much better).

This was more the person above who said Fran was unlikable.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Lots of Fran comparisons to Davis, Rav, even Alford. Fine.

I choose to compare Fran to the "next guy". When Fran is gone, the lineup of contenders is not likely to blow anyone's doors off. Wish there were some former Hawk out there doing great things as a HC, but I'm not aware of any.

Anyway, Fran is here for a while - let's hope he can put it together for some special seasons!

I support Coach Fran 100% and hope he does not leave. I believe he is the right coach to lead Iowa to a BIG regular season title and a Final Four. If he falls short of those goals it won't be for lack of effort, hard work or passion.
No, it will be for lack of being a good coach and being a terrible recruiter.

I disagree. Kirk delivers predictable and sometimes stellar performance on the field every year and he is flooding the NFL with Iowa coaches talent at a level with blue chip schools. Fran has a roster full of Jake Christensen’s. Kirk has delivered a perfect regular season. Fran can’t keep ANY of his teams from taking a late February dump in their pants.

Fran is mediocrity with a bark.

NBA vs. NFL is apples to oranges.

Putting players in the NFL is a lot different than the NBA. NFL has 7 rounds, and 250 players are selected. There are about 130 D-1 college football programs.

NBA has 2 rounds, and 60 players are selected. Lots of overseas players are chosen in the NBA draft, but mostly college players are chosen in the NFL draft. There are 351 D-1 college basketball programs.

You can enter a college football program as a developmental player, spend four years in a S&C program and honing your technique, and come out the other end an NFL quality player. It's a lot harder to do that as a basketball player. Youth and raw talent are way more important to NBA teams.

Hard to get drafted in the NBA. And even if you do, it’s hard to stay on a team.

Lots of Fran comparisons to Davis, Rav, even Alford. Fine.

I choose to compare Fran to the "next guy". When Fran is gone, the lineup of contenders is not likely to blow anyone's doors off. Wish there were some former Hawk out there doing great things as a HC, but I'm not aware of any.

Anyway, Fran is here for a while - let's hope he can put it together for some special seasons!

The sad truth is there is a woeful shortage of up and coming star coaches. There are basically as one expert described it, two or three quality choices and then it’s just a bunch of guys about the same level. Now, is a terrible time to be making a change. I mean look, Nebraska broke the bank for a very flawed (recruiting effort, health, defensive philosophy) coach with just ok history of success. I mean Hoiberg has less success than Alford but he’s being touted as a wonderful hire by some.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Maybe Barta has encouraged Fran and his temper to look at other opportunities???? A mutual parting of the ways.. Gary May have realized this is the best outcome for both Fran and the athletic department??? Maybe??? One could hope????
Barta hiring another coach is not the best for the department.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
And there you have it.

Still not convinced. They know we’re on to their grand conspiracy.

On a more serious note, sorry to hear about the loss of Mr Forbes’ father. Looking at this from the angle of those in the know, they have to sit back and laugh at our hysteria sometimes. Checking flight patterns, twitter rumors, etc. I wonder if we’ll believe Fran now when he said he hasn’t spoken to Arkansas.

Sound like it’s going to be Musselman.

Who was the poster earlier that was saying Musselman has a shady past & will never get out of Nevada?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT