ADVERTISEMENT

Full Nike Skills Academy Roster

DanL53

HR Legend
Sep 12, 2013
CIh-f4lUAAAsiH4.jpg

I would call that a pretty high level of talent from around the country. And, among the high school players invited are Iowa recruits Moore and Simpson for sure, haven't checked any further.

CIh-f4lUAAAsiH4.jpg

I would call that a pretty high level of talent from around the country. And, among the high school players invited are Iowa recruits Moore and Simpson for sure, haven't checked any further.
The Nike event is almost over. I'm wondering how Uthoff, Moore, Simpson did in scrimmages?

The initial invitation announcement stated that the camp would be limited to 20 players ("top 20 college players" IIRC). The list shows 35.

The initial invitation announcement stated that the camp would be limited to 20 players ("top 20 college players" IIRC). The list shows 35.

I counted 27. The numbers go up to 35.

I counted 27. The numbers go up to 35.

haha -you're right. They skipped a few numbers in the sequence. in any event, a few more were added after the initial announcement. No big deal I guess.

That's good to see. I think a good performance here certainly gets him on the radar.

Good to see and about the first report I've seen on him from the event. There doesn't seem to be much info out there on what's going outside of a few tweets.

No way he doesn't get drafted. Once that metabolism slows down a notch at 25-26, he'll be a rock solid 230. He can do it all.

Reactions: Lilcainboy
Wasn't their talk of Uthoff nursing an injury the previous couple of weeks?

Anyway, that NBAdraft tweet seems to have answered the question.

The skies the limit for mr. Uthoff. If I were him I would really hit the weights eat like a pig and live in the gym. Think he's gonna be the next hawk in the pros and I think he'll get playing time.

Ute needs to be much, much stronger to play in the NBA. I watched some playoff games and those NBA boys are B-I-G, and strong. He would tossed around like a biplane in King Kong in the NBA. However, this All Star camp might just be the ticket to teaching him the just how tough he is going to need to be to play with guys that look kind of like LeBron or Megatron (know he's football but the same physique)

I must admit I have had my doubts about JU. I thought he disappeared sometimes and lost the ball on the dribble too much. He was much better last year and we are going to need some pretty big numbers from him for us to go dancing again. I like the point forward idea, if he can handle the dribbling aspect.

I must admit I have had my doubts about JU. I thought he disappeared sometimes and lost the ball on the dribble too much. He was much better last year and we are going to need some pretty big numbers from him for us to go dancing again. I like the point forward idea, if he can handle the dribbling aspect.

All true but the kid hadn't played competitively for what, three years? He should give us the best individual season to watch since Woolridge in '97.

Reactions: ozziesimmons22
I like the point forward idea, if he can handle the dribbling aspect.

Somebody actually put forward the idea that Uthoff could play the PG position? Wondering what you meant by point forward.

Last edited:
I think alot of people had doubts after how Uthoff played during the conference season two years ago. But that what's exciting about guys like Jok and Uhl, if those guys can make similar improvement, with our senior class and new pieces, we could be pretty good.

Somebody actually put forward the idea that Uthoff could play the PG position? Wondering what you meant by point forward.
Not PG, point forward. Think Niang sometimes at ISU or LeBron for the Cavs. Basically just starting the ball with a forward up top. He won't be guarded by a pg so it's not crazy to think he could handle it and it puts the ball in your best players hands to start the possession. Given Gessell has plenty of experience as a sg, it makes some sense to me. Not every possession, but a wrinkle to throw out there.

Not PG, point forward. Think Niang sometimes at ISU or LeBron for the Cavs. Basically just starting the ball with a forward up top. He won't be guarded by a pg so it's not crazy to think he could handle it and it puts the ball in your best players hands to start the possession. Given Gessell has plenty of experience as a sg, it makes some sense to me. Not every possession, but a wrinkle to throw out there.
Bad examples. Uthoff's strengths do not include his physicality. He makes space with his length, shooting, and threat to drive. As a point forward, he's perhaps more like Scotty Pippen, especially as defense is his calling card as well.

Bad examples. Uthoff's strengths do not include his physicality. He makes space with his length, shooting, and threat to drive. As a point forward, he's perhaps more like Scotty Pippen, especially as defense is his calling card as well.
Funny you should say that. From the NBA Encyclopedia:
"One of the most versatile and talented players, 6-7 Scottie Pippen orchestrated an offense like a point guard..." and
"The Blazers would make the post season in each of the next three seasons that Pippen was in a Portland uniform, but an assortment of injuries reduced the amount of time he spent on the court. Although, in his last season in Portland, he became the starting point guard and led the Blazers on a 21-5 streak."

Reactions: thesnake3h
Uthoff is NOT a point forward. His handles are weak at best. Let's not make the kid out to be someone he's not. He's a nice player, but let's leave it at that until he proves otherwise.

Got it. The first thing that came to mind was Uhl in that role not Uhtoff but I wouldn't mind seeing if Uthoff give it a go as a curveball to confuse the defense every once in while.

Uthoff is NOT a point forward. His handles are weak at best. Let's not make the kid out to be someone he's not. He's a nice player, but let's leave it at that until he proves otherwise.

I wouldn't say his handles are weak, although from what we've seen in the past they haven't been great. Uthoff will be the best player on the team next year and having a few possessions as the main facilitator is more of the idea that the best player should have the ball in his hands more often. Uthoff will be able to play the 2-4 positions, and if he continues to improve as he has the past two years, should be able to bring the ball up the court from time to time.

Fran has never really deviated from his game plan too much so I doubt Uthoff will be playing the point forward too often, if at all. I would just like to see him with the ball in his hands more frequently.

For me at least, the thing that makes a good point of any type is not strictly handles but the ability to get his or her team in the correct offense and to be able to make the right pass, and to not turn the ball over. Uthoff is fine with one or two dribbles and the pull-up jumper, and he is pretty decent in one-on-one situations, but I would agree that his weakness is when he is double-teamed - he does not handle double-teams very well. But that is something he could learn to do with more experience. I am hoping that we will see that this year.

Uthoff is really good. Not sure if he is a true "three" or a "four" but is a really good player. Sometimes positions get overblown. All of frans best players at iowa have been from six four to to six nine and it looks like that is the direction iowa continues to go in and that's te kind of player fran really likes.

Got it. The first thing that came to mind was Uhl in that role not Uhtoff but I wouldn't mind seeing if Uthoff give it a go as a curveball to confuse the defense every once in while.

Mike is so good at running the team that i don't think you will see it all that often (Sap is no slouch either), PG play will be a strength no need to tweak what isn't broken.

Just tossing out my opinion. If anyone is a Scottie Pippen type point forward (or could be) on the Iowa roster it is Uhl. Depending on how his passing progresses, but his speed and handles are already there.

As to Uthoff. His handles are better than most power forwards and average for a small forward. But that isn't his game. He should NOT be bringing the ball down the court but better he either get ahead of it to receive a pass or come up on the secondary break to bury a three. AND, he does have a quick first step past his guy if it is in a straight line. He can't cut and weave well but he can get to the basket in a hurry. The guy is alright, has far better skills in other areas. He's just not a point forward.

Reactions: unIowa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT