ADVERTISEMENT

Gabe @ Portsmouth

Curt Furence

HR MVP
Sep 30, 2014
Sorry if already posted, but didnt see it.

Gabe had a solid first game at Portsmouth. 16 and 9 in 35 minutes.

Tuttle 0-6 and Rice 2-8
dead.r191677.gif

I know this has been mentioned before, but Gabe could have really used a red shirt season his 1st year. Given the situation at the time, though, Fran needed at big man -ready or not. As long as he keeps playing, I think Olaseni will be the type of player who will look noticeably improved every successive year for the near future. I believe Gabe will have a decent pro career if he stays healthy.

Gabe will get invited to tryout for teams, whether he is a second round pick or not. I think he still has a lot of upside, but will need to add strength to be able to stick with an NBA team as a PF. My guess is that he spends time in Europe, and will have opportunities down the road in the NBA if he gets stronger and continues to improve.

Gabe will certainly be able to play in a decent European league. Those leagues often restrict the number of Americans to one or two on a team. Gabe is British, which should be an advantage for him in some of those leagues.

Originally posted by Drew003:
Gabe will certainly be able to play in a decent European league. Those leagues often restrict the number of Americans to one or two on a team. Gabe is British, which should be an advantage for him in some of those leagues.
Exactly, that's why I think a lot of commentators felt he would be a Euro player all along. Even if he did manage to make an NBA roster, he is limited enough in the post and defensively to only be a fringe bench player at best in the NBA.

Agree a red shirt would have been very beneficial for gabe. The guy is a freak athlete so he definitely has that going for him and if he could gain more of an offensive game he might have a shot in the nba. I guess he probably needs to improve on defense too some, but he already has something you can't teach which is being 6'10" and athletic as all get out. Go luck gabe.

Originally posted by Ronman:
Gabe's team beat a team with Rayvonte Rice and Seth Tuttle. I believe a couple of Clones are also in this invitational (Hogue and BDJ).
Am I hallucinating or does that box score show Gabe with a three point attempt?

It was great to have him as a Hawk.
I wish him a long career in Europe. Hopefully a good showing here will get them interested.

Originally posted by Kurt Warner:
Agree a red shirt would have been very beneficial for gabe. The guy is a freak athlete so he definitely has that going for him and if he could gain more of an offensive game he might have a shot in the nba. I guess he probably needs to improve on defense too some, but he already has something you can't teach which is being 6'10" and athletic as all get out. Go luck gabe.
The reason why I believe he will demonstrably improve in the coming few years is because Gabe only committed to playing basketball at age 15 or so (whereas US players start organized basketball much earlier). In addition, big players tend to physically mature later. The development and refinement of key skills tends to lag behind as well. Olaseni still has a lot of room to grow in his development IMO. There is still a lot of hurry in his offense.

Originally posted by Inhawk:

Originally posted by Ronman:
Gabe's team beat a team with Rayvonte Rice and Seth Tuttle. I believe a couple of Clones are also in this invitational (Hogue and BDJ).
Am I hallucinating or does that box score show Gabe with a three point attempt?
Yeah. Just think of the meltdown here if he'd actually hit it...

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:

Exactly, that's why I think a lot of commentators felt he would be a Euro player all along. Even if he did manage to make an NBA roster, he is limited enough in the post and defensively to only be a fringe bench player at best in the NBA.
Just curious, but enlighten us with which NBA team you are a GM with?

Originally posted by hawkeyedude#1:

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:

Just curious, but enlighten us with which NBA team you are a GM with?
I didn't realize that was a prerequisite for posting an opinion on this site. Have you heard any GM's say Olaseni is a guy that can crack into an NBA rotation?

I like your snarky response, vincbrookins, but it turns out you are completely wrong. A quick internet search reveals that it is a NBA prospect camp in Massachusetts. Thanks for the info, though.

Originally posted by wondergrape:
I like your snarky response, vincbrookins, but it turns out you are completely wrong. A quick internet search reveals that it is a NBA prospect camp in Massachusetts. Thanks for the info, though.
notsureifserious.jpeg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth,_Iowa

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrpbf (Possibly Ghost town or just unincorporated)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_Square (Pictured)

Now a one block square city park called Portsmouth Square, located in Chinatown, San Francisco, picture is from 1851. Go find that gold!

Gabe struggled offensively in his second game, going 1-7 from the field and turning the ball over three times in 32 minutes. On the positive end of things, he still had five blocks and eight rebounds.

Box score link can be found here.

Each team only played three games on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

Gabe had a monster game on the boards in his third game on the Mike Duman Auto Sales team with only 3 points but he snagged 15 rebounds.

Seth Tuttle struggled the most of any player I was familiar with going 0-6, 0-3 and 0-4 and didn't score a point in his three games. He only had 14 rebounds in his three games as well whereas Gabe averaged over 10 a game. That will really hurt Tuttle's NBA chances.

At this link you can check out the box scores at any of the 12 games or watch a full replay of any of the games.

https://www.portsmouthinvitational.com/schedule-results.html

Originally posted by Myvue:

Gabe had a monster game on the boards in his third game on the Mike Duman Auto Sales team with only 3 points but he snagged 15 rebounds.

Seth Tuttle struggled the most of any player I was familiar with going 0-6, 0-3 and 0-4 and didn't score a point in his three games. He only had 14 rebounds in his three games as well whereas Gabe averaged over 10 a game. That will really hurt Tuttle's NBA chances.

At this link you can check out the box scores at any of the 12 games or watch a full replay of any of the games.

You are making the assumption that Portsmouth is that big of a deal. Kids go to Portsmouth for more than one reason. The way Tuttle played might hurt him, then again it might not. You have no clue what his agent is telling him nor what NBA people are saying. Tuttle has 4 years of D1 college ball under his belt. 3 pickup games is not gonna make or break him.

Originally posted by Myvue:

Don't want to start a fight with UNI fans, but I don't really see Tuttle as an NBA player. Great college player, who can definitely make some money playing overseas, but is he big enough to play the 4 or athletic/quick enough to play the 3 in the NBA?

Most of the guys at Portsmouth aren't going to be high draft picks, so it is definitely important for guys like Tuttle and Olaseni to be considered for an invitation to an NBA camp. Tuttle certainly didn't help himself.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Gabe will make some money- probably in Europe because of his defense and rebounding.

Tuttle- doubt it

And yes- gabe and UI would have benefitted from another year at Iowa

Originally posted by 91hawki:
Gabe will make some money- probably in Europe because of his defense and rebounding.

Tuttle- doubt it

Agree about Gabe.Tuttle is plenty good enough to make some decent money in Europe also.

Originally posted by clickhere 01:

Tuttle- doubt it

Agree about Gabe.Tuttle is plenty good enough to make some decent money in Europe also.
The problem with Tuttle is that he would need to be at least a couple of inches taller and 20 lbs heavier to play that same role as a player in the NBA that he did at UNI. He might yet make the adjustment as he is talented. But Europe may be in his future whether or not he does. From what I've heard about him, it had better be a small town in Europe.

Tuttle- doubt it

You could make that argument for just about every player that has suited up at the D1 level. Gabe is 23 years old...time for him to graduate and start earning a living. While in theory it would be great to have him at Iowa another year, I have no issue with the staff not redshirting him and I suspect he feels its time to move on with his life. If he were younger when he arrived at Iowa I could understand the desire to redshirt, but all things considered it worked out well the way it did.

NBA scouts are already commenting that Gabe is old at 23 for a player coming out, you need to remember he had an extra year at prep school. A redshirt year would not have helped his pro prospects.

I am sure others questioned this, but with the way Olaseni played at the camp......doesn't it make you wonder why Coach Fran didn't give him more minutes the past year or two???

Originally posted by mtdew_fever:
I am sure others questioned this, but with the way Olaseni played at the camp......doesn't it make you wonder why Coach Fran didn't give him more minutes the past year or two???
Nope. The style of play in these camps allow for a lot of up and down action with flowing offense and minimal defense. Olaseni has always excelled in those types of games, but in the B10 the opportunity for that type of action is slim to none.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT