ADVERTISEMENT

Gaetz gets 11th-hour primary challenger amid McCarthy feud

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) has drawn a last-minute primary challenger as tensions remain high between him and former House speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.)
Aaron Dimmock filed to challenge Gaetz on Friday — the last day to do so in Florida — according to records from the Florida Department of State. No other fellow Republicans filed against Gaetz in his deep-red Panhandle district.

Dimmock is a retired Navy officer who serves as director for leadership programs at the University of West Florida’s Aylstock, Witkin, Kreis & Overholtz Center for Leadership, according to the Pensacola News Journal.
Gaetz has long feuded with McCarthy and led the successful effort to oust him from the speakership last year. Allies of McCarthy have been working to recruit challengers to Gaetz and the seven other Republicans who joined Democrats to boot McCarthy from his post.
Dimmock did not immediately respond to a request for comment on his candidacy.
In a fundraising email, Gaetz bashed Dimmock as McCarthy’s “handpicked RINO candidate.” While the Florida primary is not until Aug. 20, Gaetz has already aired TV ads touting his warm relationship with former president Donald Trump.

Just junk the whole GOP party already
Democrats: “The GOP needs to rid itself of Trump and his lackeys.”

*Anti-Trump candidate challenges Trump lackey in congressional primary*

Democrats:

200w.gif

Reactions: abby97

Democrats:

200w.gif

Is Dimmock anti-Trump? If so, I welcome him with open arms into the possibility of serving the country in this capacity. Doesn’t mean I’d vote for him, well I can’t vote for him, but anything we can do to end the scourge of Trumpism the better.

Is Dimmock anti-Trump? If so, I welcome him with open arms into the possibility of serving the country in this capacity. Doesn’t mean I’d vote for him, well I can’t vote for him, but anything we can do to end the scourge of Trumpism the better.
I live in the District, but can't vote for him in the primary. The person winning the primary will win the general election. Dimmick isn't very well known in the community, but Pensacola is a Navy town, and Dimmick is a Navy guy, so that should help.

Reactions: cigaretteman

Democrats:

200w.gif
Us Dems didn’t create Trump or Gaetz, you did, TJ. Gaetz will cruise to re-election. That isn’t on us Dems.

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
Us Dems didn’t create Trump or Gaetz, you did, TJ. Gaetz will cruise to re-election. That isn’t on us Dems.
But you gave us Biden, Harris, Omar, AOC, Cori Bush, Talib, Etc...............

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT