ADVERTISEMENT

Gambling and Games

Can we leave Ronnie Harmon out of this? While there is suspicion, nothing has been proven that he "threw" the game.

Want to reference a thrown game with Iowa involvement? Let's use 1994 Iowa/Northwestern.

Anyways, yes. I believe the games are on the up and up.

• Love
Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
I think everything is legit. If players weren't being payed then I would have my suspicions about players. Anyone that can influence a game is probably paid pretty well so it would take a very sizable amount of money to risk getting caught. Most refs have other professional jobs 8-5. Many probably have a savings and families. Would they really risk throwing a game for a few grand to lose everything and sit in prison? Also remember that refs work in teams. Same with the athletes. Would they really risk their entire career? The amount of money it would take would have to be too sizable to not have some sort of trail given how digital things are. Look how easily the Iowa guys got caught.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
I think things are on the up and up, but I don't think it would be hard to affect an outcome. Just think of how many games are within one score of a spread or total. It wouldn't be hard to trip, slow down and get tackled or have a penalty called to either prevent or nullify a score.

128 FBS football teams
133 FCS football teams

Approx. 22,000 scholarship players

351 NCAA MBB teams
348 NCAA WBB teams

Approx 9,400 scholarship players

With a pool of more than 31,000 players in the 2 major sports, the potential for gambling related corruption is high IMO.

Of course, only a small slice of that pool would be in position of compromise or potential targets for a take, say maybe a few hundred impact players. That’s still substantial.

Reactions: GOHOX69
With the advent of legalized gambling, do you think games are fair and square? On the up and up? Those who are of a certain age remember the 1986 Rose Bowl. More chicanery going on?
Maybe, who knows. I think in today's world, you probably have to worry more about referees than athletes themselves. That said, illegal books are still a thing.

Maybe we shouldn’t have legalized gambling. Maybe it corrupts everything, and taxes the poor.

Just a thought.
Cat is out of the bag. Prohibition doesn’t work, a never-ending lesson. It does not work.

Set clear lines and guidelines then swing a hammer on the cheats. Disappointed but not shedding a tear for Shannon or any of the others. They knowingly risked their eligibility and got caught.

Can we leave Ronnie Harmon out of this? While there is suspicion, nothing has been proven that he "threw" the game.

Want to reference a thrown game with Iowa involvement? Let's use 1994 Iowa/Northwestern.

I’ve spoken with a former Iowa player who was on that team and he had no doubt that Harmon threw the game. I’d say it’s highly likely that he did.

Waaaaay too much money for these short-term minded people not to bet.

I guarantee that the players and officials are in on it in certain circumstances.

I've seen way many suspicious situations that have no explanation other than there were other influences.

Waaaaay too much money for these short-term minded people not to bet.

I guarantee that the players and officials are in on it in certain circumstances.

I've seen way many suspicious situations that have no explanation other than there were other influences.
I definitely think refs are compromised. Not all of them of course, but I bet it’s a bigger issue than the general sports fan thinks.

All I know is My Iowa over 7.5 Season wins bet cashed Yesterday and it was the single largest wager Ihave ever laid in My life . Great job Hawks!!!
I went big on it as well! Was not feeling great after Minnesota and as the injuries piled up, but the resiliency of Kirk and this entire team cannot be questioned.

Reactions: GOHOX69
The legalization of gambling certainly raises questions about the fairness of games. While regulations aim to ensure fairness, concerns about integrity persist, especially given historical incidents like the 1986 Rose Bowl. It's essential for authorities to enforce strict oversight to maintain public trust. But if you're into some legal money-making ways, you might want to check out olx88 login. Just remember to approach online gaming with caution and responsibility.

Last edited:
The legalization of gambling certainly raises questions about the fairness of games. While regulations aim to ensure fairness, concerns about integrity persist, especially given historical incidents like the 1986 Rose Bowl.
Like non legalization ever stopped anyone from gambling..... pleeeease.

Ajff GIF by Atlanta Jewish Film Festival

H

If I remember right, he fumbled FOUR times in one HALF. He threw the game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT