ADVERTISEMENT

GOAT on US Olympic Roster

I would look at it as a positive - one less thing for her to wonder and worry about. Opponents can have all of the bulletin board material they want. They still have to perform and more often than not talent wins over emotion.

Note that there will be a conflict for Caitlin if Iowa advances to the Final Four.

I hope she is not able to attend camp. ;)

April 3-5: 14 athletes, including 9 Olympians, have been invited to the USA Basketball Women's National Team Training Camp in Cleveland.

April 5: Final Four
April 7: National Championship game
April 15: WNBA Draft

GJxP6rZXMAAiDB0

GJxSEh6WoAEsoTO

Last edited:

Hopefully she is playing for Iowa still and can’t do the final four training camp :)

Caitlin could be named to either the 5 on 5 team or the 3 on 3 team.

From ESPN:

No dates have been announced for when the women's U.S. Olympic 5-on-5 and 3x3 teams will be named for the Paris Games, which are July 26 to August 11. Clark could be named to either team, but there is a lot of U.S. veteran depth at guard. The Americans are going for their eighth consecutive 5-on-5 gold medal, and they won the inaugural 3x3 Olympic tournament at the Tokyo Games in 2021.

In all, nine former Olympians will be taking part in the Cleveland camp, including five-time gold medalist Diana Taurasi of the Phoenix Mercury. The other past Olympians are Ariel Atkins (Washington Mystics); Chelsea Gray, A'ja Wilson, Kelsey Plum and Jackie Young (Las Vegas Aces); Brittney Griner (Mercury); Jewell Loyd (Seattle Storm); and Breanna Stewart (New York Liberty).

The past two WNBA No. 1 draft picks, Aliyah Boston (Fever) and Rhyne Howard (Atlanta Dream), are also among those invited to the camp.

Reactions: Torg
9 out of the 14 are guards. Anyone know how many of the 9 are point guards?

9 out of the 14 are guards. Anyone know how many of the 9 are point guards?
Chelsea Gray is a pure PG. Ionescu is a CG. Taurasi, Plum, and Loyd mostly play the 2 but could definitely play the 1 if needed. Young played the 1 in college but has mostly played the 3 professionally.

Alyssa Thomas, Napheesa Collier, and Kahleah Copper are three other players who have been on Team USA before but were not invited to this camp because they are playing overseas currently. They are all forwards.

Last edited:
Chelsea Gray is a pure PG. Ionescu is a CG. Taurasi, Plum, and Loyd mostly play the 2 but could definitely play the 1 if needed. Young played the 1 in college but has mostly played the 3 professionally.

Alyssa Thomas, Napheesa Collier, and Kahleah Copper are three other players who have been on Team USA before but were not invited to this camp because they are playing overseas currently. They are all forwards.
Thanks

Interesting catigorization by you.

Gray is a CG, but actually more of a two, if anything.

Ionescu can be a CG, and plays alongside a true PG in NY. But Ionescu is more a PG than a two.

Agree on Taurasi and Lloyd.

Plum can be a CG, but is actually more of a PG.

Young is certainly a 3 or 2.

And Copper is a 2 to me. But certainly more a 3 than a 1.

CC has versatility too. Overall, it's a group of very versatile guards

If you watch Vegas and think Plum is the 1 and Gray is the 2 then I don't know what to tell you.

Ionescu has played alongside another PG both professionally and in college.

I did not say Copper was a 1. She's played the 3 more than the 2 in her career.

Last edited:
Reactions: letsgosports
If you watch Vegas and think Plum is the 1 and Gray is the 2 then I don't know what to tell you.

Ionescu has played alongside another PG both professionally and in college.

I did not say Copper was a 1. She's played the 3 more than the 2 in her career.
Vegas did switch roles in a lot of spots for Plum and Gray last season. But that was more about how they played together as a group. In a vacuum, Plum is more of a true PG. And even in their often reversed roles last season, if it was late in the game or clock, between the two players, the ball was going to Gray for the purpose of scoring.

Ionescu in a vacuum, also more of a PG, imo.

As for Copper, that was my description of her as a player. I can read what you wrote. Really, it depends if she's playing in a traditional lineup or a three guard lineup, how you define her position.

Regardless, the roster has enough flexibility to slide players over to the two if they are trying to get CC minutes at the PG

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT