ADVERTISEMENT

Grade Rankings for 2016-18

I have read we are in on Happel, but anyone know about the others?

Is Isley a target to have depth on the roster? I am not sure if that Bradley kid has been around and Klap has to be the backup this year, but then who?

I would assume from an Iowa stand point that both Gremmel and Isley are attractive opitions for Iowa to recruit, but I don't know either side's interest.
The only two 2016 guys I know Iowa are connected to in state are Happel and Rathbun

2017 guys with possible Iowa interest:
#2 Spencer Lee
#5 Brady Berge
#10 Austin Gomez
#18 Justin Mejia - COMMIT
#24 Jason Renteria - COMMIT

Reactions: Huck and Knight563
2017 guys with possible Iowa interest:
#2 Spencer Lee
#5 Brady Berge
#10 Austin Gomez
#18 Justin Mejia - COMMIT
#24 Jason Renteria - COMMIT
I remember Gomez did an interview before Agon V and Iowa was NOT on his list of school interests. Michigan, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State were the ones he mentioned.

So if you're TnT, how do you handle the 125-133 situation in 2018? The situation being that Gilman and Clark graduate in 2017, but Mejia, Renteria, and (my lips to God's ears) Lee come in as true freshmen that fall, so there's no one to cover the weights without 2 guys burning redshirts. The only other options are to start Paul Glynn at 125 and get Happel to cut to 133 for a year ("Hey, Happel, we really want you--just one minor thing"); or bring in at least 1 national-caliber transfer with exactly 1 year of eligibility left (hmmm, yeah); or land Suriano to cover one of the weights and deal with the subsequent logjam as the cost of war. Anyone care to share their secret strategy?

So if you're TnT, how do you handle the 125-133 situation in 2018? The situation being that Gilman and Clark graduate in 2017, but Mejia, Renteria, and (my lips to God's ears) Lee come in as true freshmen that fall, so there's no one to cover the weights without 2 guys burning redshirts. The only other options are to start Paul Glynn at 125 and get Happel to cut to 133 for a year ("Hey, Happel, we really want you--just one minor thing"); or bring in at least 1 national-caliber transfer with exactly 1 year of eligibility left (hmmm, yeah); or land Suriano to cover one of the weights and deal with the subsequent logjam as the cost of war. Anyone care to share their secret strategy?
To much talent in one room is never a bad thing.

I would have to think that TnT will go after the best recruit they can get and let the chips fall where they may. If they can get Suriano they will get him and if they lose someone the next year, they will just do it. If they lose Suriano then they will try even harder the next year for Lee or whomever.

I do not think they would say, "No lets not go after a top 5 recruit so and so because we may get someone better next year." If they get the first one and he seems to be panning out in the room, then they will decide if they want the other one or another weight.

The Hawk land is definitely the place to be if you are a lightweight.

I would have to think that TnT will go after the best recruit they can get and let the chips fall where they may. If they can get Suriano they will get him and if they lose someone the next year, they will just do it. If they lose Suriano then they will try even harder the next year for Lee or whomever.

I do not think they would say, "No lets not go after a top 5 recruit so and so because we may get someone better next year." If they get the first one and he seems to be panning out in the room, then they will decide if they want the other one or another weight.

The Hawk land is definitely the place to be if you are a lightweight.

This. You go after Suriano - no brainer - he's #2 recruit. Same with Lee - no brainer. I also like the Yates kid.. a lot. Not going to get all 3(probably). It's too bad Mejia and JRent are a year behind.. but that's the way it is. They'll just have to come in and compete.

You never know how big kids get or when they hit growth spurts. Remember these kids (Lee, Mejia and Renteria) are just finishing their high school sophomore years. Zahid Valencia was 132lbs at that time and he's going to be wrestling 184/197 in college. Extreme example but its hard to predict where guys will be. Suriano appears to be steadily growing and is pretty well muscled up. I definitely can't imagine him at 125 in college past his redshirt year. I could see him at 133 or 141 no prob. Both Mejia and JRent look to be growing. If you look at them now vs the beginning of the season, there's a noticeable difference. Lee is the guy who I could see as a 4X 125lber. He looked small next to Fix and didn't seem affected by cutting down to 110.5. Hence he murdered Danny Vega twice. I would love Iowa to continue to be a lightweight stud factory. A world medal from Ramos and Metcalf would certainly help that!

Reactions: TarpHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT