ADVERTISEMENT

Great comment by Uthoff

Hans81

HR Legend
Gold Member
Aug 13, 2004
When asked what he thought of the changing of the guard at Wisconsin, Uthoff said something like - I really don't care what those guys do. I loved it as I also couldn't give a rat's ass what the frickin Badgers do! Hopefully, after Bo leaves their program goes into a decline similar to how their program used to be.

And you expected him to say something else? Sorry, but Ryan leaving Wisconsin is NOT a good thing no matter how much you hate Ryan and / or the Badgers. Playing against top notch competition and measuring your program accordingly is NOT a bad thing.

When asked what he thought of the changing of the guard at Wisconsin, Uthoff said something like - I really don't care what those guys do. I loved it as I also couldn't give a rat's ass what the frickin Badgers do! Hopefully, after Bo leaves their program goes into a decline similar to how their program used to be.
You mean like going to the final four. Some decline! Yes, Bo did very well, but Wisconsin was almost always the pesky rival, except when they tried to hire away from what they did well.

Reactions: Edenprairiehawk
Sorry, but Ryan leaving Wisconsin is NOT a good thing no matter how much you hate Ryan and / or the Badgers. Playing against top notch competition and measuring your program accordingly is NOT a bad thing.

I won't miss him. His departure is not a good thing if you are a Badger fan I suppose.

Iowa will not be starved for top notch competition in the B10 -especially this season where there will be at least six or seven Top20 quality teams, and a few of those better competition than Wisconsin this year.

Reactions: yiana
Wisconsin was not always a rival. Yes, they have been for twenty years. Before that they stunk. I'd sooner Iowa take their spot, one we used to enjoy quite frankly.

Wisconsin was not always a rival. Yes, they have been for twenty years. Before that they stunk. I'd sooner Iowa take their spot, one we used to enjoy quite frankly.

Personally, I am glad to see the Grinch leave. No reason to think Wisky will immediately become awful, but it will be hard to match what Ryan has done.

Really, he should have said, "Ever since that day I snuck away while Coach Ryan was out of town, they have achieved unparalleled success in the program's history, become a top-5 program nationally, and almost won a national title (2 really), so it's too bad I left I guess."

Why don't you go back to your own board?

Why don't you offer some intelligent and/or playful banter, Dan? Address the comment? Simple concept really. I live down the road from UI, so I engage Iowa fans daily (my entire family really). So, I coach and teach Iowa fans; thus, I engage in their debates. I understand the concept of addressing something beyond your immediate purview is difficult, but give it a try once or twice. You'll be ok.

Why? Because I don't consider your description of Uthoff sneaking out of town to be playful banter.

And you expected him to say something else? Sorry, but Ryan leaving Wisconsin is NOT a good thing no matter how much you hate Ryan and / or the Badgers. Playing against top notch competition and measuring your program accordingly is NOT a bad thing.
Why? Because I don't consider your description of Uthoff sneaking out of town to be playful banter.

Reality is he turned his back on a program he originally committed to. Put whatever spin u want on it.

Really, he should have said, "Ever since that day I snuck away while Coach Ryan was out of town, they have achieved unparalleled success in the program's history, become a top-5 program nationally, and almost won a national title (2 really), so it's too bad I left I guess."
Well, JU could have said, "you know, if Ryan could have been a little more flexible with how he wanted to use me, respecting my real talents as opposed to forcing me to try to force fit into his system, perhaps I could have helped him take that extra step to the championship. Instead I'm helping my home state program supplant WI when Bo leaves."

Reality is he turned his back on a program he originally committed to. Put whatever spin u want on it.

That's called a transfer. And frankly using a term like "turning his back" is the spin going on. I don't know who you think you are fooling with your fake "HawkeyeDude#1" moniker but the fake stuff just to slam Hawkeyes gets old.

Personally, I am glad to see the Grinch leave. No reason to think Wisky will immediately become awful, but it will be hard to match what Ryan has done.
I agree. It will be nigh impossible to duplicate Ryan's success.

It's not playful banter; it's documented fact. Sorry. The premise of this thread was that Uthoff somehow made a statement against Ryan/Wisconsin. The reality is that he has nothing to hang his hat on since he left, and in fact, it could be argued that WI has thrived since he left (if someone wanted to argue as such).

Uh, you argued as such. In your first comment. It's right there. Like...RIGHT there.

And the "nothing to hang his hat on" remark is stupid. He has plenty to be proud of.

Since obviously JU is a much better judge of his real talents than Bo Ryan is, and Bo clearly has a difficult time identifying and maximizing talent.
Well Bo wanted him to bulk him up to play center. I sure don't feel like that was the best thing for Jared.

Uthoff's exact words:

Interviewer: "Did you hear the news about Wisconsin? What was your reaction?

Uthoff, "I really don't care. I could care less what those guys do.

Interviewer: "What about Greg Garr, Bo Ryan's come out and said he should be the next coach?"

Uthoff, "No comment. Not trying to be rude.

Alright, Red87, what's the problem with that?!?!?!? So you and our fake Hawkeye Dude have a problem with Uthoff transferring? It happens all the time. Do you remember Iowa letting Ben Brust out of HIS commitment? Do recall McCaffery tossing a fit when Brust went to Wisconsin? No, because there WAS NO FIT, not like Bo tossed when Uthoff transferred.

No wonder Uthoff didn't want to meet with the jerk. It would have just been a butt ache. Uthoff broke no rules and left!

Uthoff should have no comment relative to Wisconsin. It was a poor dig at a headline by the interviewer. No big deal. Well-played by JU. I was pointing out the ridiculousness of the original poster trying to make a big deal out of it. Relative to Wisconsin, Uthoff isn't a big deal at all. He's had some moderate success on mediocre Iowa teams; the program he left has turned into one of the best in the nation. Not much he can really say.

As for the transfer, transfer away. Just be man enough to meet with your coach and explain why versus trying to sneak away. Again, very simple concept. As for Brust, not even in the same ballpark. Brust committed to a coach who was fired, and never even set foot on campus. He was never a Hawk. Uthoff had worked out with, been invested in monetarily and with man-hours, and been a part of the Badger program for over a year up until the day/morning he snuck away. JU didn't meet because he was scared. Again, I don't think Ryan and company regret it on their end at all.

I call bull on several fronts. Read this link: http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/basketball/2014/1/5/5276726/iowa-wisconsin-basketball-rivalry

As to calling Uthoff scared or portraying his decision to not meet with Ryan in any such light....again, bull! Uthoff was not required to meet with Ryan, and he chose not to, that's his business.

And finally, I have no interest in friendly "banter" with Badger fans after the overwhelming complaints about Woodbury and the "intentional" eye poke. Many Wisconsin fans showed horrible sportsmanship to fall in line with that idiot Dakich. In fact, if one actually LOOKS at the so called eye pokes, the first against Hayes as an obvious accident. Even Dakich said so until he decided to change his mind. The second? Look at it in real time and in complete frame:

1) Woody did playfully muss Dekker's hair. He then brought his hand down and the hand and face made contact, slightly.
2) While that was going on, IF you don't have a doctored, zoomed in slow motion video, you can see Gasser extending an elbow while setting a pick, which is just as much a foul as anything Woody did.

Why does this bother me? Because to this day if you read other message boards you can find reference to Woody as a dirty player. And YOU idiots at Wisconsin and your crybaby attitude were a big part of the cause!

"Snuck away". Was Uthoff in prison that he had to sneak away? I don't think so...he had the right to leave anytime he wanted.

Red87, you are so funny. One minute you want playful banter, the next you don't. It just depends on if that "banter" is directed at an Iowa player or your boys. Please, just give it up. If you want to post on an opposing team's site, be prepared to be respectful and even to read something you might not like.

I call bull on several fronts. Read this link: http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/basketball/2014/1/5/5276726/iowa-wisconsin-basketball-rivalry

As to calling Uthoff scared or portraying his decision to not meet with Ryan in any such light....again, bull! Uthoff was not required to meet with Ryan, and he chose not to, that's his business.

And finally, I have no interest in friendly "banter" with Badger fans after the overwhelming complaints about Woodbury and the "intentional" eye poke. Many Wisconsin fans showed horrible sportsmanship to fall in line with that idiot Dakich. In fact, if one actually LOOKS at the so called eye pokes, the first against Hayes as an obvious accident. Even Dakich said so until he decided to change his mind. The second? Look at it in real time and in complete frame:

1) Woody did playfully muss Dekker's hair. He then brought his hand down and the hand and face made contact, slightly.
2) While that was going on, IF you don't have a doctored, zoomed in slow motion video, you can see Gasser extending an elbow while setting a pick, which is just as much a foul as anything Woody did.

Why does this bother me? Because to this day if you read other message boards you can find reference to Woody as a dirty player. And YOU idiots at Wisconsin and your crybaby attitude were a big part of the cause!

"Snuck away". Was Uthoff in prison that he had to sneak away? I don't think so...he had the right to leave anytime he wanted.

Red87, you are so funny. One minute you want playful banter, the next you don't. It just depends on if that "banter" is directed at an Iowa player or your boys. Please, just give it up. If you want to post on an opposing team's site, be prepared to be respectful and even to read something you might not like.

Nice job here Dan....it's a dang Hawk board for Red's sake and thrown in Hawk dude too. It's like a locker room for those who have been in one and shame on any Hawk fan for not defending the home turf... a locker room with as Black & Gold color glasses as you better find here....no need to apologize either.

Like I belong on a Badger board....think about that and you won't find me there either cause I am not going to like what I read...."they really don't care. They could care less what Iowa guys do."

Reactions: DanL53
Hey little red - I'm the original poster in this thread and I was NOT trying to "make a big deal" out of Uthoff's comment. Quite the contrary, it was a perfect response by Uthoff to simply ignore what goes on in Badgerland. What you and most Wisconsin fans seem to ignore in the Uthoff transfer is that he was coming back home - why wouldn't he want to play in front of hometown fans. I don't know how old you are, but to pretend that Wisconsin basketball is some perenial power is ridiculous. I recall before Bo, Wisconsin was an also ran type program and hopefully they fall back to that now.

Uthoff should have no comment relative to Wisconsin. It was a poor dig at a headline by the interviewer. No big deal. Well-played by JU. I was pointing out the ridiculousness of the original poster trying to make a big deal out of it. Relative to Wisconsin, Uthoff isn't a big deal at all. He's had some moderate success on mediocre Iowa teams; the program he left has turned into one of the best in the nation. Not much he can really say.

As for the transfer, transfer away. Just be man enough to meet with your coach and explain why versus trying to sneak away. Again, very simple concept. As for Brust, not even in the same ballpark. Brust committed to a coach who was fired, and never even set foot on campus. He was never a Hawk. Uthoff had worked out with, been invested in monetarily and with man-hours, and been a part of the Badger program for over a year up until the day/morning he snuck away. JU didn't meet because he was scared. Again, I don't think Ryan and company regret it on their end at all.
You act like Uthoff leaving was the reason for success. He could have easily put them over the top to win a championship instead of giving Dukan minutes. Bo wasn't flexible enough and it cost him a piece that could of made a difference in their title run.

Since obviously JU is a much better judge of his real talents than Bo Ryan is, and Bo clearly has a difficult time identifying and maximizing talent.
Bo forces talent to fit into his system, much like Bobby Knight did. Most of the time he's right. Sometimes obviously not. If he had recognized that JU was not a 4-5, that could have been the little extra that made the diff a couple of years later vs Duke. But he didn't. You live by the sword and die by it.

Reactions: IronFist1776

It won't last, bro. Not trying to take away from your great seasons, but let's not act like you're going to be a perennial power going forward.

Why don't you offer some intelligent and/or playful banter, Dan? Address the comment? Simple concept really. I live down the road from UI, so I engage Iowa fans daily (my entire family really). So, I coach and teach Iowa fans; thus, I engage in their debates. I understand the concept of addressing something beyond your immediate purview is difficult, but give it a try once or twice. You'll be ok.
Truth is that Madison is a tough place to live. Lived there for about a year and I called it the people's republic of Madison. Never met an entire city of phonies and posers until I moved there. And I have lived in Birmingham, new Orleans, Des Moines and several other small cities. Beautiful landscape, horrible human beings!

Reactions: GaHawk1972

We are flattered that despite Wisky and Bo's unprecedented success you all are still butthurt over Utoff leaving to be a Hawk! What does that say about you.

Maybe we do not reach those same heights but I have loved having Jared in this program.

That's called a transfer. And frankly using a term like "turning his back" is the spin going on. I don't know who you think you are fooling with your fake "HawkeyeDude#1" moniker but the fake stuff just to slam Hawkeyes gets old.

hawkeyedude#1 is kind of a Hawkeye fan. He is one of White's family members or friends. His original screen name on here was ohiodude#1 and he joined this site a few days after White committed to play for Fran.

Fact is White and Uthoff don't like each other at all, so he chooses to rip Uthoff every chance he gets and hates when people talk up Uthoff.

White was a good player at Iowa, but in the biggest game of his career, a 2nd round game in the NCAA Tourney...he played like a pussy and just wanted to get his points. As one of the coaches said this spring, "How someone plays 38 minutes in the biggest game of his life and gets just one rebound is beyond me."

hawkeyedude#1 is kind of a Hawkeye fan. He is one of White's family members or friends. His original screen name on here was ohiodude#1 and he joined this site a few days after White committed to play for Fran.

Fact is White and Uthoff don't like each other at all, so he chooses to rip Uthoff every chance he gets and hates when people talk up Uthoff.

White was a good player at Iowa, but in the biggest game of his career, a 2nd round game in the NCAA Tourney...he played like a pussy and just wanted to get his points. As one of the coaches said this spring, "How someone plays 38 minutes in the biggest game of his life and gets just one rebound is beyond me."

You've posted that before. I'm not sure where you get your information, so I'm not going to question it, or completely believe it. But I will say that the poster in question bashes quite a few Hawkeyes. For example, he loves smacking Woodbury around and just recently made a bash Woody comment out of Gabe getting a summer league contract in the NBA.

It seems like a situation similar to your favorite nemesis, KillBunnyRex the poster who never dies. Relation or friend to White, or not, the Dude struggles with understanding college basketball, and often gets upset with posters who don't agree with his opinions.

Nice job here Dan....it's a dang Hawk board for Red's sake and thrown in Hawk dude too. It's like a locker room for those who have been in one and shame on any Hawk fan for not defending the home turf... a locker room with as Black & Gold color glasses as you better find here....no need to apologize either.

Like I belong on a Badger board....think about that and you won't find me there either cause I am not going to like what I read...."they really don't care. They could care less what Iowa guys do."

Thanks Edu. There's the point right there.

th

Regarding Legend's post, that explains a lot about Hawkeye/Ohiodude...

White was a great player for Iowa. He really came on the last half of the B1G season after the NW/first half of the Rutgers games. IA fans owe him our gratitude for helping make our program relevant again.

That being said, Uthoff is the superior talent. JU will have a huge senior season. His game translates very well to the NBA game. I'd be surprised if JU doesn't play in the NBA for many years.

I don't think White will stick in the NBA but am rooting for him.

Let's be clear. Uthoff requested to meet with Ryan. After 2 weeks of being ignored Uthoff got fed up, talked to an assistant and then departed. Let's not spin this into something remotely close to Uthoff was afraid. If anything it was Ryan who was "afraid". Which is of course ridiculous.

LOL. Legend. I gotta admit. It's morons like you that make this site so enjoyable and keep me on the edge of my seat as to what incredible "inside info" you will come up with next to share with all of us. I'm just in awe of you. Seriously. hahahahahahahaha. I very much appreciate the "inside" compliment of being a family member / etc simply because I might be from ohio? LOL. It's jackasses like you that kids like White are glad to see in their rear view mirrors as they move on in life.

hawkeyedude is a pinhead and hardly an Iowa fan. Good to see Legend smoke him out. His contribution here is mainly deriding and insulting Iowa players and coaches.

HawkeyeDude#1, I have to say that you've found a way to bring together some posters who tend to quibble. Brought together at least for this moment, for one common goal.

Why did they not get along? Was it strictly basketball related? I really hope AW wasn't jealous of him

Truth is that Madison is a tough place to live. Lived there for about a year and I called it the people's republic of Madison. Never met an entire city of phonies and posers until I moved there. And I have lived in Birmingham, new Orleans, Des Moines and several other small cities. Beautiful landscape, horrible human beings!
I think the word you're looking for is Liberals, but you probably already knew that and was trying to be kind......................

But you'll find them in every college town in America. Sadly.

Reactions: MontiHawk
I really don't like it when a guy like Legend throws out a comment like he has a couple of times about White and Uthoff and then leaves us all dangling in the wind. Legend if you are trying to be cool, sorry you didn't accomplish it. I always view those "inside" guys that don't give the rest of the story as a word that rhymes with cool...if you know what I mean.

Waiting for the go kill yourself reply in 3,2,1....

Uthoff and White are decent friends, but not besties. Inside info.

I really don't like it when a guy like Legend throws out a comment like he has a couple of times about White and Uthoff and then leaves us all dangling in the wind. Legend if you are trying to be cool, sorry you didn't accomplish it. I always view those "inside" guys that don't give the rest of the story as a word that rhymes with cool...if you know what I mean.

Waiting for the go kill yourself reply in 3,2,1....

Drew hawk-
Well said. If you've been on this site any length of time at all, u realize "legend" is one of those guys (?) who acts like a bully and claims to be a know it all. Reality is he probably gets off thinking people view him as such. Many times he's gotten off calling posters "retards", telling them to die, etc etc. Pure class. Why he's not been ban is beyond me.

Reactions: hooper56
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT