ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Davis: Did GD destroy Mack Brown and soon Kirk?

Herkmeister

HR Legend
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2006
Forgive me if this has been addressed. Kirk clinging to GD just seems to have the same feel as the end to Mac Brown's career. Does anyone else have similar thoughts?

GD was Brown's OC from '85 to '87, and '96 to 2010. If he destroyed Brown, he built him up to a national title first.

This is ridiculous. I'm no fan of Greg Davis, but Kirk has handicapped Greg just like he handicapped O'Keefe. Kirk runs this ship, not GD.

Additionally, Kirk is not going to be destroyed, even if he is fired or leaves, he has left a very good legacy.

Reactions: MadDogC
KF is the one who wanted to keep his zone scheme running game and meld it with GD's passing game. Which has resulted in a disjointed monster that doesn't seem to work.

Reactions: bajaka
I really do wonder what we are trying to BE on offense. GD said from Day 1 we need faster receivers. I think with the last class or
two are slowly addressing it but even then, I still don't know what type of offense we are supposed to be... Except that we are a no-huddle team.

Is it Davis? Is it Kirk? Is it the receivers? Is it the QB? Kirk must be somewhat satisfied because he hasn't pulled the plug on the GD experiment.... As a fan, and after watching countless other exciting offenses with quick receivers and fun offenses to watch... I don't know where we got in that picture.

I really do wonder what we are trying to BE on offense. GD said from Day 1 we need faster receivers. I think with the last class or
two are slowly addressing it but even then, I still don't know what type of offense we are supposed to be... Except that we are a no-huddle team.

Is it Davis? Is it Kirk? Is it the receivers? Is it the QB? Kirk must be somewhat satisfied because he hasn't pulled the plug on the GD experiment.... As a fan, and after watching countless other exciting offenses with quick receivers and fun offenses to watch... I don't know where we got in that picture.
I have something to ask the Kirk bashers on this board? If Kirk is such a bad coach how did he take Iowa from the depth of despair to the highest four year finishes the program has ever had? I know I'm going to hear he didn't ever go to the Rose Bowl but that's because the bowl set up is different now. He had two years that he could have went but we were hosen to go elsewhere. He is also the only coach in Iowa history to complete a Big Ten season undefeated.

Iowa is trying to have a zone blocking scheme which focuses on running inside and outside zone, while complimenting it by throwing shorter passes to quick receivers in space. The combination of these two and the no-huddle will theoretically allow Iowa to run a lot of plays, control the clock, and play close to the vest.

But it certainly hasn't worked out that way.

I have something to ask the Kirk bashers on this board? If Kirk is such a bad coach how did he take Iowa from the depth of despair to the highest four year finishes the program has ever had? I know I'm going to hear he didn't ever go to the Rose Bowl but that's because the bowl set up is different now. He had two years that he could have went but we were hosen to go elsewhere. He is also the only coach in Iowa history to complete a Big Ten season undefeated.
Different staff then compared to recently. Draw your own conclusions.

Reactions: B1G

I know most readers weren't even born yet, but the best coach Iowa ever had and by a mile was Forest Evashevski. From 1956 to 1960,in 4of the 5 years in the AP he finished number 3 1956, 6 in 1957, 2 in 1958, and 3 in 1960. He retired at 43, if he had coached through 1980,he would have been Sabans age and a much different Iowa legacy. Hayden finished 10th twice. Kirk finished
8th, 2002, 2003, and 2004, and 7th in 2009. The big 10 was tops in Evys years. Woody Hayes said he was the greatest offensive mind he ever played and he won 2Rose Bowls by 16 and 26 !!

Do you know how much the game and recruiting has changed in the last 10-15 years? Video has changed recruiting and has allowed almost every high school player to be on Hudl and get their film seen by college coaches. Their aren't too many Bob Sanders out their anymore.

The zone scheme was almost brand new to the COLLEGE game when Kirk brought it to Iowa. That's why Iowas 2 best offensive seasons were almost 15 years ago.

Evolve or Die and that's what's going to eventually happen to KF at Iowa and would have happened already at most top programs.

Reactions: MadDogC
Their aren't too many Bob Sanders out their anymore

I see this 'diamond in the rough' comment about Bob Sanders all the time. It is true he had only a couple of MAC offers but to think he was some kind of over achiever that we developed once he got to Iowa is mistaken. Do some research on Bob. Among many things he was first team all state, 4 year letter winner, ran a 4.35 40, had 7 sacks in the state title game, played in the Big33 (Ohio-PA) all star game and rushed for 900 yds & 17 TDs as a senior.

He was about 4-5 inches in height from being a 5 star. He was known.

I see this 'diamond in the rough' comment about Bob Sanders all the time. It is true he had only a couple of MAC offers but to think he was some kind of over achiever that we developed once he got to Iowa is mistaken. Do some research on Bob. Among many things he was first team all state, 4 year letter winner, ran a 4.35 40, had 7 sacks in the state title game, played in the Big33 (Ohio-PA) all star game and rushed for 900 yds & 17 TDs as a senior.

His offer list was Iowa and MAC schools. There are lots of great high school players who aren't considered big time recruits. Sanders would be absolutely torn apart on this board if he committed to Iowa today, simply due to his offer list.

Iowa could have ran the single wing in 2002 with that level of talent and been just as successful. Wishbone, veer...whatever 50 year old system you want to trot out there, it would have been just as successful.

It all boils down to quality players. Ether you have a lot of them, or you don't. Going to one of the read option type things that are popular now will take you only so far if you don't have the horses to run it on a high level.

Reactions: And1Hawk
This is ridiculous. I'm no fan of Greg Davis, but Kirk has handicapped Greg just like he handicapped O'Keefe. Kirk runs this ship, not GD.

Additionally, Kirk is not going to be destroyed, even if he is fired or leaves, he has left a very good legacy.
Agree with everything except his legacy is slowly deteriorating.

It all comes down to talented players. Iowa doesn't have enough of them. That's all ya really need to know. Talent will make a coach look good or look bad. Yeah, some coach's are better than others, but none of them got to where they are by chance. Give GD good players and you'll see a good O.

Cause the game changed very fast after those great seasons and Kirk did not. I'm not a Kirk basher I see that he has been desperately trying to right the ship going on 5 seasons now but I like his moves even though I wish he did them all in 2 seasons instead. but its ok there was a new football complex to build that took priority (SC).

It all comes down to talented players. Iowa doesn't have enough of them. That's all ya really need to know. Talent will make a coach look good or look bad. Yeah, some coach's are better than others, but none of them got to where they are by chance. Give GD good players and you'll see a good O.

We have a winner

Depths? The 90's were considered the depths of Iowa football?

I have seen a good coach make poor talent good. You cannot overcome poor coaching with great talent...Texas is one example and there are many more!

Reactions: Herkmeister
Depths? The 90's were considered the depths of Iowa football?

Despair is really laughable, the 97 team was one of the most talented teams HF had that just could not close games(7-5). He had one bad year "98" before retiring? He was undefeated without playing OSU?!? Come on, HF did not have the luxury of not playing the best teams in the league when he coached. The landscape of college football was much different in the 80's, what Hayden did at Iowa was amazing! I also know that the 97 class was the last one HF promised he would still be there for, it would of eventually killed his recruiting. There was also a mass exodus when HF retired, so the cupboard was bare because a lot of the players did not want to stay...it happens! Norm parker is the reason KF still has a job and his loss is the reason KF will end up unemployed. KF had a few good years and because of his schedule maybe got more accolades than he deserves...he never won a championship outright, they both were co-champions. Just look at the defensive stats over the years, that is why he won....despite the pathetic offenses he ran most of the years. You think Brad Banks would have followed Kyle Mccann under HF or KO would have to have a pissing match to start Stanzi over JC? IF KF would take off the head set and let even these coaches coach, they would be much better! He is the weakest leak...that is just the facts!

Despair is really laughable, the 97 team was one of the most talented teams HF had that just could not close games(7-5). He had one bad year "98" before retiring? He was undefeated without playing OSU?!? Come on, HF did not have the luxury of not playing the best teams in the league when he coached. The landscape of college football was much different in the 80's, what Hayden did at Iowa was amazing! I also know that the 97 class was the last one HF promised he would still be there for, it would of eventually killed his recruiting. There was also a mass exodus when HF retired, so the cupboard was bare because a lot of the players did not want to stay...it happens! Norm parker is the reason KF still has a job and his loss is the reason KF will end up unemployed. KF had a few good years and because of his schedule maybe got more accolades than he deserves...he never won a championship outright, they both were co-champions. Just look at the defensive stats over the years, that is why he won....despite the pathetic offenses he ran most of the years. You think Brad Banks would have followed Kyle Mccann under HF or KO would have to have a pissing match to start Stanzi over JC? IF KF would take off the head set and let even these coaches coach, they would be much better! He is the weakest leak...that is just the facts!
KF will coach through 2020 then will retire at the age of 65. Is retirement considered 'unemployed'?

Bob Sanders was not known by anyone. Moore begged KF to take a chance on him. Today that wouldn't have happened. You people are nuts if you don't agree that the amount of film hasn't changed recruiting. Just think how hard it was to take a basic video of your children 15 years ago and post it to the internet. It's a fact that there are a lot less "unknown" players today than there was 15 years ago.....and that goes for all sports.

Bob Sanders was not known by anyone. Moore begged KF to take a chance on him. Today that wouldn't have happened. You people are nuts if you don't agree that the amount of film hasn't changed recruiting. Just think how hard it was to take a basic video of your children 15 years ago and post it to the internet. It's a fact that there are a lot less "unknown" players today than there was 15 years ago.....and that goes for all sports.

I guess you can read this article to see if he was not known by anyone or if he was known but his measureables (height) limited his opportunities.

http://www.stack.com/2009/02/01/bob-sanders-recruiting-experience/

Bob disagrees with you, he claims he ran a 4.6.

Agree with he took the Hawks out of the depths - then as the game evolved KF didn't and we are where we are due to that. He has shown an inability to change in game scheme's and over the years as a whole. He was forced to make changes a few years ago only due to the unfortunate death of Norm and then O'Keefe finally setting sail.

Bob disagrees with you, he claims he ran a 4.6.

Agree as I thought he had 4.35 speed coming in. Does not discount the fact that he was seen and known... Just not sought after at the power 5 level due to measurables and perception of how that would translate to that level.

If you traveled to KC to see Bob and Benny Sapp play in their first game as gunners on the punt coverage teams it sure did not look like he lacked for speed. He came down and hit Allen who was attempting to break the returns record at that time from KSU knocking him out of the game and I think for an extended period of that season. It was wow from day 1 when he hit the field.

Agree with he took the Hawks out of the depths - then as the game evolved KF didn't and we are where we are due to that. He has shown an inability to change in game scheme's and over the years as a whole. He was forced to make changes a few years ago only due to the unfortunate death of Norm and then O'Keefe finally setting sail.

Kirk couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper sack....the only thing deep on him is his wallet! Running a .500 football program with top 15 pay, top five at one point. I will give him props, he is making coin for producing very little as of late.

Reactions: Herkmeister
I have seen a good coach make poor talent good. You cannot overcome poor coaching with great talent...Texas is one example and there are many more!

There are always exceptions, sure. Maybe you are overestimating the great talent. Or maybe the coach just wasn't a good fit. Think Rich Rod at UM. It aint about the X's and O's, it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's. Always has been, always will be.

There are always exceptions, sure. Maybe you are overestimating the great talent. Or maybe the coach just wasn't a good fit. Think Rich Rod at UM. It aint about the X's and O's, it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's. Always has been, always will be.

Well, I think a new DC with some success could have changed the outcome there. The defense is what killed it for him. That was a coaching problem...

Well, I think a new DC with some success could have changed the outcome there. The defense is what killed it for him. That was a coaching problem...
He had a decent DC- Current Syracuse HC-Scott S. He didn't know him when he hired him and Scott S. was not familiar with Rich Rod's 4-2-5 defense. Rich Rod fired him and replaced him with Greg Robinson. I don't know which was the more perplexing hire- Ferentz hiring GD or Rodriguez hiring Robinson.

He had a decent DC- Current Syracuse HC-Scott S. He didn't know him when he hired him and Scott S. was not familiar with Rich Rod's 4-2-5 defense. Rich Rod fired him and replaced him with Greg Robinson. I don't know which was the more perplexing hire- Ferentz hiring GD or Rodriguez hiring Robinson.

Ok, I remember the offense being somewhat effective? Robinson had a rough time. I don't get the GD hire either. There are many young, Hungry coaches out there that could breathe some life into the offense....that might be what KF was afraid of?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT