ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Recruiting Notes

Nice Write-up. You could probably add Brady Berge as a potential recruit in the 2017 section. Still seems to have a lot of interest in Iowa even though his brother is no longer here.

I don't see anything about Cole Erickson? Also, Steven Holloway is apparently narrowed down to 3 possibilities, with Iowa being one of them.

Originally posted by KUIU:
I don't see anything about Cole Erickson? Also, Steven Holloway is apparently narrowed down to 3 possibilities, with Iowa being one of them.
Thanks, I had notes on him, not sure if it was an accidental delete or if I didn't copy and paste properly. I got him added in there.

I thought about adding a note on Holloway, but I was hoping we would have more on him soon.

I'm inclined to say that while I'd love it if Iowa would land Lee, I'd be happy as long as he doesn't go to PSU.

I like Rudy Yates a lot for 2016, I think his style, attitude and geographical proximity make him a great fit!

This post was edited on 4/20 10:07 AM by MVPFAN

I follow Iowa wrestling a little, but my question is how is it that Iowa is without doubt a perennial top 3 team every year but only have the 15th ranked recruiting class?

Erickson was up big at state, maybe he was going for a TF? Anyway, up big and then he got tossed to his back and was pinned.

Originally posted by HawkTalk3:
Erickson was up big at state, maybe he was going for a TF? Anyway, up big and then he got tossed to his back and was pinned.
Thanks, I thought it was something along those lines. It happens, still think he's a good prospect.

Yep, he was going for his last takedown for the tech and got tossed. That stuff happens and he wrestled back with a mission

I love are chances with 2 out of 3 of these kids at least.

Lee
Suriano
Yates

And we have a decent shot at these two.
Hall
Berge

Based off what Hiwille? Not being a smarta$$ just wondering. That sure would be awesome. Also I know Hall gave his top 5 in the past and Iowa wasn't included. I wonder if anyone in the media circles asked him if he's updated his top 5.

Originally posted by andegre:
I was reading one of the two TOM forums over lunch and saw that Hall named 4 of his 5 official visits, and Iowa and PSU were both NOT on that list...

Posted from Rivals Mobile
That could be because he's already visisted/is familiar with both schools enough that he didn't want to waste an official visit on them but is still considering them.

Originally posted by HIWILLE:

Lee
Suriano
Yates

Hall
Berge
Throw in Holloway this year and I would be very pleased with 3 of these five as long as at least 1 of the 3 comes from the second 2 listed.

I think he needed 1 point for the TF.

Hall plans to officially visit Minnesota and he knows probably the most about that program and campus so I would not hold onto that theory too tight. Thing can change though. He still has room for one more maybe he will still choose to use it.

From everything that I can see, Berge still likes those Hawks. His HS teammate Keaton Schorr won his first title this season as a sophomore and I think he is also fond of the Hawks. I was really impressed with him at state.

This post was edited on 4/20 2:47 PM by grappler6

Reactions: praguehawk
It's also worth noting that Hall did visit for the Iowa and Virginia dual so it's not like it's zero interest for the Hawks.

It's also worth noting that Hall did visit for the Iowa and Virginia dual so it's not like it's zero interest for the Hawks.
Easier to drive to Iowa than Virginia if he wanted a face to face with Jordan Leen.

Well seeing our backup 174lber beat up their starter couldn't have helped Jordan Leen's cause.

Originally posted by Squarehat:
Jordan Leen??
I think Papa Bear was trying to be funny. Jordan Lean helps out at Virginia so I guess he was suggesting that Mark Hall was coming to Iowa City to check out what Virginia had to offer. A real knee slapper it was I know.

Originally posted by MVPFAN:

Lee
Suriano
Yates
Hall
Berge
Throw in Holloway this year and I would be very pleased with 3 of these five as long as at least 1 of the 3 comes from the second 2 listed.
Though I would love to have Holloway he in no way factors into my desire for any of these other guys. He's a nice pickup who might develop but I don't see him as a stud recruit.

Oilchecker, Mark Hall has been a few times to Stillwater working out during the summer. He knows all about OSU and still we are on his short list. His dad listed 4 schools (Minnesota, Ohio State, Oklahoma State and Wisconsin). He still has one more official visit left. Where he is going who knows, may the best team win the Mark Hall sweepstake!

I didn't mean to insulate he had no interest in Iowa. I just disagreed with the idea of why he hadn't scheduled an official at Iowa. Like I said he still has one left to use and it could end up being Iowa.

My personal opinion is that Metcalf is our main shot with Hall. If Metcalf has his selling skills up to par we might have a shot...

Gophers might have the cash among the big teams. I don't think PSU, tOSU, OSU do based on their rosters. A team like Wisconsin or Nebraska could be a player but if Mark Hall came to Iowa, he would be an instant fan favorite among the Hawk fan base which is considerable. Imagine the challenge of being the best Hawk wrestler to ever step onto the mat.

Originally posted by SPOONER:

Originally posted by MVPFAN:

Lee
Suriano
Yates
Hall
Berge
Though I would love to have Holloway he in no way factors into my desire for any of these other guys. He's a nice pickup who might develop but I don't see him as a stud recruit.
He may not be thought of in the same light as the top 10 overall guys Wille listed but he is a very good wrestler and at a weight of need. He just went toe to toe with #2 at 195, #8 overall Steveson. Steveson beat #1 195, #5 overall Benick at Fargo last year. He has a lot of upside and is a stud as well. I could be wrong but I feel he has a great shot to make an impact.

Originally posted by GetNAfterIt:
Coach Slay has strong ties with both Brands brothers and Zadick. I'd personally be shocked if he didn't chose Iowa.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
This is true. Word is he enjoyed his visit and it also don't hurt that his Dad loves Iowa. Like WEH8ST8HAWK said I also think it's down to Minn or Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT