ADVERTISEMENT

"He's a good football player"

I know Kirk has to defend his player, but come on. Stanley has NOT had a good season.

"Good football teams find a way to bounce back"

Uh, Kirk, your QB pretty much pissed away a great opportunity to be in the driver seat to win the west. The defense certainly did their part to win the game..........

"I thought he had a good week last week.....he's played pretty well all season. Obviously, today wasn't his best day"

You think? Really?

And, thus, another year that Iowa throws away a chance to win something of meaning......Oh, but, they will probably win next week. And, Nate will look like the second coming.

There is a reason that Iowa is consistently inconsistent and will probably always be.........Frustrating!!

What you are jumping KF's shit for now is exactly what makes him a solid football coach. Everything is handled behind closed doors.

He has only been at Iowa 20 years so you may not have picked up on that yet.

I would actually strongly agree that we are "consistently inconsistent." We're about the most consistent team in the world. Somewhere bewteen #15 and #35 every year with a few sprinkle years of being in BCS/New Years Six bowls. Inconsistent would be like a Nebraska or Texas, where you have no clue where they'll be year in and year out.

Stanley is feast or famine. Feasts on bad defenses, can't do anything against a good D. And yes, Ohio St last year was a BAD defense.

He's just too weak mentally to be a good qb. Seems like he can't shake off a bad pass or drive. Up against a crappy D, with no pass rush and receivers wide open, he looks great. Starts to face a little adversity or gets knocked in the mouth, and it just seems like it screws with his confidence.
Then hopefully we can use the Jedi Mind Trick to make him Heisman caliber every game.

It's pretty glaring when Brian greise comments that he is missing receivers on middle school throws. This kid has the worst accuracy of any QB since Jake C. He is devoid of having any touch or much pocket presence either. I wish Manzel would practice better.
I didn't hear Greise say that but I have been thinking the same for years.He throws behind his receivers a lot he also misses backs out of the backfield by yards he just doesn't possess much touch.
I don't see this guy as a pro prospect, yes he has a big arm but it end there ..Great kid,great family but not a great QB..

It's pretty glaring when Brian greise comments that he is missing receivers on middle school throws. This kid has the worst accuracy of any QB since Jake C. He is devoid of having any touch or much pocket presence either. I wish Manzel would practice better.
LOL exactly! KF only lets ppl play who practice hard - whether or not they are decent, or absolutely have no business playing fb. It's been this way for 19 years.

Those calling Stanley "inconsistent" are being really nice. His performance against Penn St was simply the worst QB performance I've seen since the Jefferson Bates/Corby Smith days. Iowa did not need a QB rock-star to win that game; they needed a game manager who could hit wide-open receivers and not make stupid mistakes.

However, I can't blame the loss on Stanley, because as someone mentioned above, it's the coaching staff's job to recognize when their QB doesn't have it. The fact that we were still in position to win that game was amazing, and a tribute to our defense. Leave it to our coaches to screw that up big-time. Everyone I was watching the game with was shouting "call a timeout!" I seriously think that we have the only coaching staff in the country that doesn't call a timeout from the sideline in that situation (2:30 to play, 2 TO left, 1st and goal ready to take the lead, the QB and offense obviously confused big-time as a hostile crowd is shouting).The Ferentz boys have absolutely no defense for that one.
I agree 100%

I didn't hear Greise say that but I have been thinking the same for years.He throws behind his receivers a lot he also misses backs out of the backfield by yards he just doesn't possess much touch.
I don't see this guy as a pro prospect, yes he has a big arm but it end there ..Great kid,great family but not a great QB..

This. At some point you are who you are. He is an inaccurate QB with a big arm and bad footwork and tends to get mentally rattled. Every once in a while he will put it together for a big game but that is the exception not the rule. He seems to lack any awareness when it comes to when he should scramble as well.

Would a series here and there really do that much to Stanley's confidence???

Great point. After all, what does it do to a kid's confidence when he misses 31 throws, including 2 crushing INTs, and essentially loses a winnable game all by himself? I don't see that as a big boost to the ego.

If a kid strikes out four times and you pinch-hit for him, does that crush the kid's ego or say his career is over? No, it does say he's having a bad game and somebody else should get a chance.

You know what is scary....a few games ago when he (Stanley) threw a deep ball and it was almost as if he threw it straight up and it disappeared off the TV.....I told my buddies that I haven't seen an angle like that sense the Jake C. deep ball.

While Stanley did not play well today, his audible would have ended up with a walk in TD by Toren Young if Fant had just executed his route. QB did the right thing, but since Fant was left standing in place, his defender was able to read QB and get the INT. If you are gonna lay blame on Stanley for that, than you should stop trying to evaluate Football. Blame coaches...sure. Should have called TO. Blame Fant...sure, as he needs to be aware of game situation. But on that play, Stanley has Iowa in the endzone and likely up 31-30.
It appears the QB nor the Sideline had a clue. There was absolutely no reason for that play to unfold the way it did. Fant deserves no blame. Plain and simple a TO should have been called and it wasn’t.

Reactions: brewhawk23
What you are jumping KF's shit for now is exactly what makes him a solid football coach. Everything is handled behind closed doors.

He has only been at Iowa 20 years so you may not have picked up on that yet.

Fair enough.......However, Nate has not had a good season.....just no comment it or something. I would like to see Kirk actually win a game that matters. There is no way they should have lost that game the other day........

Sure, we all know what Kirk really wants to do, right?

My God, we lost a football game. What you gonna do if your wife gives you an STD? :D:D:p:p:p:p

Peace out Dbleagle, there are worse things in life. :rolleyes:

And I've experienced most of them. :(

We all have different expectations when it comes to a football program........your expectations are evidently not that high. That's good for Kirk..........It is ok to be frustrated about a game and write those frustrations on a board like this. Does it affect my life in the slightest? Nope. However, this is where I go when I am frustrated with my favorite football team. Next time, just don't read what I write.......... :)

I’m more upset with the 4th and 1 throw when we had Hockenson Wide open!! The throw at the 3 was frustrating but that was cause everyone wasn’t on the same page.

All Stanley has to do is lob that pass up to Hockenson and let him stand there and catch it. There was no one w/in 10yds of him.

Damn this game will haunt Stanley, but like any good coach will say “don’t let them beat you twice” flush it and move on.

Reactions: David1979
We all have different expectations when it comes to a football program........your expectations are evidently not that high. That's good for Kirk..........It is ok to be frustrated about a game and write those frustrations on a board like this. Does it affect my life in the slightest? Nope. However, this is where I go when I am frustrated with my favorite football team. Next time, just don't read what I write.......... :)

I was screaming at Nate Stanley like a mofo during the game. I just settled down quicker than you.

But my anger was off the charts Saturday. It’s why I don’t own guns. :p

From what I've seen of Manzel, Stanley is still the best QB on the team. I have to go with the coaches on this one. Look, Stanley had, hopefully, the worst game of his career Saturday. Hopefully he learns from it and comes back better than he was before the game. If this game gives him the mental fortitude to be a champion, then it will have been worth it. He will be back next year.

Reactions: blackandgoldPT
Fair enough.......However, Nate has not had a good season.....just no comment it or something. I would like to see Kirk actually win a game that matters. There is no way they should have lost that game the other day........

Wish he'd win a game that matters....hmmmm....can't help you there.

You are right that if Iowa gets average QB play they win that game going away on Saturday. That is why this Saturday is huge for Iowa and more specifically, Stanley. If he struggles I think there is a change....if for nothing more than a few series.

Stanley is feast or famine. Feasts on bad defenses, can't do anything against a good D. And yes, Ohio St last year was a BAD defense.

He's just too weak mentally to be a good qb. Seems like he can't shake off a bad pass or drive. Up against a crappy D, with no pass rush and receivers wide open, he looks great. Starts to face a little adversity or gets knocked in the mouth, and it just seems like it screws with his confidence.

What a clown.

From what I've seen of Manzel, Stanley is still the best QB on the team. I have to go with the coaches on this one. Look, Stanley had, hopefully, the worst game of his career Saturday. Hopefully he learns from it and comes back better than he was before the game. If this game gives him the mental fortitude to be a champion, then it will have been worth it. He will be back next year.

They always interview former coach Don Patterson on the allhawkeyes podcast monday mornings. He is regularly at practice and made it very clear this week Stanley is our best option. Peyton is a solid backup QB but he is the backup QB for a reason.

Some perspective -

Nate Stanley is - 137/244 56.1% , 1,764 yards (7.23 yards per att) 16 TD's, 8 INT.

In 2009 (Junior year) Ricky Stanzi was 221/345 56.3% 2,417 yards, (7.01 yards per att)17 TD's, 15 INT. BTW, I believe he had 6 pick sixes.

Stanzi is regarded as being one of the best in Iowa history (usually Top 5 or better). Stanley is wildly inconsistent, a mental midget with no pocket presence and no touch, and is being compared to Jake C.

"Now it's up to you, but you might consider cuttin' the kid a little slack."

thompson-redoctober-slide.jpg

Reactions: cecilB
Some perspective -

Nate Stanley is - 137/244 56.1% , 1,764 yards (7.23 yards per att) 16 TD's, 8 INT.

In 2009 (Junior year) Ricky Stanzi was 221/345 56.3% 2,417 yards, (7.01 yards per att)17 TD's, 15 INT. BTW, I believe he had 6 pick sixes.

Stanzi is regarded as being one of the best in Iowa history (usually Top 5 or better). Stanley is wildly inconsistent, a mental midget with no pocket presence and no touch, and is being compared to Jake C.

"Now it's up to you, but you might consider cuttin' the kid a little slack."

thompson-redoctober-slide.jpg

I wonder how many of the Stanzi pick 6 games we lost. Seems like we had them right where we wanted them whenever he threw one of those.

And make no mistake DJK and McNutt were the best WR combo Iowa has ever had. Stanzi had those dudes catching balls.

I wonder how many of the Stanzi pick 6 games we lost. Seems like we had them right where we wanted them whenever he threw one of those.

And make no mistake DJK and McNutt were the best WR combo Iowa has ever had. Stanzi had those dudes catching balls.

Actually, I don't think the Hawks lost any of them. They were 11-2. First loss was the infamous fumble, broken ankle in the end-zone against NW. Second loss was OSU and he did not play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT