ADVERTISEMENT

"He's such a big weapon for us."

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Brady Ellingson????

Yes, Brady Ellingson.

Ellingson is averaging 36 minutes & 14 points per game in conference play. He’s a versatile perimeter defender who can switch onto either guard.

Most importantly, though, is this number: 54 percent. As in, Ellingson is shooting 54 percent (47-for-87) from 3-point territory during conference play.

He leads the Valley in 3-point shooting and 3-point field goals made.

Link to story: https://t.co/gTHYDYVHHC

Related tweet:

Last edited:
It’s the right level of b-ball for him. No doubt about it.
He's at the level that he should have been at all along.
It's too bad for both him and the Iowa program that it didn't get sorted out sooner as this was pretty evident at least a year earlier, if not sooner than that.
From the article (too bad the only time Brady was an elite shooter for the Hawks was during practice):

One of his most impressive performances came Jan. 20 against Missouri State, when Ellingson sunk 7 of 8 long-range shots and scored a career-high 25 points in a 74-63 win over Missouri State.

"One of the best I've ever seen," D.J. Wilkins said of his sharpshooting teammate that night.

After Drake’s win over Bradley on Tuesday, Tremell Murphy was asked why Ellingson is so valuable on the floor.

He smiled and said two words: "elite shooter."

Last edited:
Good for him and good for drake! Glad he is able to play more.

Too bad he got pulled from the ISU game, he was well on his way to leading them to the win! :(

I am thrilled for Brady. Great kid. Needed minutes to develop and just could not earn them. I think him playing big minutes for Drake helped him to settle down and demonstrate the shooting he is capable of. Could not be happier for him.

I think a starting role is what makes all the difference. Remember the OSU game he started when Jok was out, he went off and helped Iowa win that game. Brady could always. play, I just felt he never got into groove coming off the bench.

Brady Ellingson????

Yes, Brady Ellingson.

Ellingson is averaging 36 minutes & 14 points per game in conference play. He’s a versatile perimeter defender who can switch onto either guard.

Most importantly, though, is this number: 54 percent. As in, Ellingson is shooting 54 percent (47-for-87) from 3-point territory during conference play.

He leads the Valley in 3-point shooting and 3-point field goals made.

Link to story: https://t.co/gTHYDYVHHC

Related tweet:

Think he would have those stats against B1G Ten defenders?

Ryan Kriener and Baer would probably tear up the Valley too.

Reactions: And1Hawk
The Valley is a shell of itself without Creighton and WSU. It’s a really bad league right now. UNI is in 4th at 8-7, 13-15 overall. Drake with their original starting PG and Brady’s elite shooting lost to Colorado 100-71 early this year. Yikes.

Having said that good for Brady and he’s in a league he can compete with athletically and actually get his shot off.

From the article (too bad the only time Brady was an elite shooter for the Hawks was during practice):

One of his most impressive performances came Jan. 20 against Missouri State, when Ellingson sunk 7 of 8 long-range shots and scored a career-high 25 points in a 74-63 win over Missouri State.

"One of the best I've ever seen," D.J. Wilkins said of his sharpshooting teammate that night.

After Drake’s win over Bradley on Tuesday, Tremell Murphy was asked why Ellingson is so valuable on the floor.

44% career three point shooter

Didn't he red=shirt his first year? The article says he was at Iowa three years (IIRC) If he did red-shirt this is his 5th year on a team, and probably partly why he was able to grad transfer. Though it's possible otherwise, esp. summer school.

Didn't he red=shirt his first year? The article says he was at Iowa three years (IIRC) If he did red-shirt this is his 5th year on a team, and probably partly why he was able to grad transfer. Though it's possible otherwise, esp. summer school.
Yes/No, had a foot injury his freshman year after 7 games, must have gotten a medical redshirt. He played 3 seasons after that

I’m happy for Brady but he is where he belongs this year and would not be contributing much this year. Daily has had is struggles shooting the ball this year in his limited play but Brady would in no way be more valuable off the bench. Fran basically rotates JoBo, Moss, and Connor for the guard minutes. Dailey is capable of giving some spot duty at the 2 AND at times the 3. He has had a couple games in B1G play were although he didn’t score a single point he was tremendous on defense (something Brady could not contribute). The only time Brady could really be used is late in game as a good FT shooter and I prefer to have the MUCH better ball handle Connor M (who’s not bad from the line either). It’s extremely difficult for “shooters” to come in in very limited minutes and contribute. That’s why Brady has excelled this year at Drake, not only playing against weaker athletes but getting enough court time to get into flow. Easier for a guy like Dailey to come in for 3-5 minutes and his role is to play good D than a guy who is a shooter to come in and knock down shots. It’s interest to look at last year when Dailey played more minutes and no surprise he shot the ball better. Brady is NOT a better option than Dailey on THIS team so just be happy for the success Brady is having and stop the naive “wish he could take Dailey’s minutes” talk.

The Valley is a shell of itself without Creighton and WSU. It’s a really bad league right now. UNI is in 4th at 8-7, 13-15 overall. Drake with their original starting PG and Brady’s elite shooting lost to Colorado 100-71 early this year. Yikes.

Having said that good for Brady and he’s in a league he can compete with athletically and actually get his shot off.

Just a year where there's a lot of balance between the team in the Valley.
Creighton?? How would they help? They are barely .500 this season.

LOL. Don’t expect to get a lot of “likes” on that silly post.

Lol at paying attention to "likes". What are you, a teenage girl? I remember you from the other thread, I thought you said you were done? Hey your boy Dailey actually managed to throw in a couple buckets the other night! Only to turn it over a possession later. Good for him though...baby steps.

I’m happy for Brady but he is where he belongs this year and would not be contributing much this year. Daily has had is struggles shooting the ball this year in his limited play but Brady would in no way be more valuable off the bench. Fran basically rotates JoBo, Moss, and Connor for the guard minutes. Dailey is capable of giving some spot duty at the 2 AND at times the 3. He has had a couple games in B1G play were although he didn’t score a single point he was tremendous on defense (something Brady could not contribute). The only time Brady could really be used is late in game as a good FT shooter and I prefer to have the MUCH better ball handle Connor M (who’s not bad from the line either). It’s extremely difficult for “shooters” to come in in very limited minutes and contribute. That’s why Brady has excelled this year at Drake, not only playing against weaker athletes but getting enough court time to get into flow. Easier for a guy like Dailey to come in for 3-5 minutes and his role is to play good D than a guy who is a shooter to come in and knock down shots. It’s interest to look at last year when Dailey played more minutes and no surprise he shot the ball better. Brady is NOT a better option than Dailey on THIS team so just be happy for the success Brady is having and stop the naive “wish he could take Dailey’s minutes” talk.

I'm starting to think you are just one of those guys that is biased for the guys that stay with the program vs. those that leave. Maybe you're just not a good eye for talent, idk. Using Dailey's defense as a reason he should be on the floor is laughable. The guy is not a great defender. Maybe better than Ellingson, but that's not saying much. Dailey doesn't give you anything when he's on the floor, at least Ellingson will knock down the open three.

Lol at paying attention to "likes". What are you, a teenage girl? I remember you from the other thread, I thought you said you were done? Hey your boy Dailey actually managed to throw in a couple buckets the other night! Only to turn it over a possession later. Good for him though...baby steps.

“My boy” Dailey? Heck I think he also belongs playing in the MVC. Just saying Ellingson is not “missed” as you believe. Just saying your lack of “likes” on how much Brady would add to this team will not get many agreeing with you.

I'm starting to think you are just one of those guys that is biased for the guys that stay with the program vs. those that leave. Maybe you're just not a good eye for talent, idk. Using Dailey's defense as a reason he should be on the floor is laughable. The guy is not a great defender. Maybe better than Ellingson, but that's not saying much. Dailey doesn't give you anything when he's on the floor, at least Ellingson will knock down the open three.

LOL. It was good for Brady and Ahmed to leave. If Dailey leaves after this season certainly won’t lose any sleep over it. Ahmed AND Brady made the right moves, wish them well but This team does not miss them. I wish Ahmed had stayed at Iowa with FB. Sorry this set you of so much.

Last edited:
“My boy” Dailey? Heck I think he also belongs playing in the MVC. Just saying Ellingson is not “missed” as you believe. Just saying your lack of “likes” on how much Brady would add to this team will not get many agreeing with you.

Never said he's "missed". All I'm saying is if Fran insists on going 9 deep, I'd rather it be Ellingson getting those minutes over Dailey. The way the roster is right now though, I'd rather Fran just go 8 deep with Connor, Kreiner, Baer coming off the bench.

Never said he's "missed". All I'm saying is if Fran insists on going 9 deep, I'd rather it be Ellingson getting those minutes over Dailey. The way the roster is right now though, I'd rather Fran just go 8 deep with Connor, Kreiner, Baer coming off the bench.

There are NO minutes available for Ellingson to be effective. Dailey got most his B1G playing time with 17 mins at Northwestern and 14 mins at Penn State. Why? Cook was out and Baer had to play backup at 4 while Dailey gave back up mins at 3. Obviously Brady could not back up at 3. Fran’s normal rotation is to bring Connor in at point slide Jordan to 2 to rest Moss. Ideally rotating this way is best but he does bring Dailey in for spot mins at the 2. JoBo at pg and Brady at shooting is just a terrible combination at both ends of the court. 2 guards with neither a real threat to dribble drive. JoBo is actually an improvement in the zone on defense than what Brady was. Hey look, on some teams Brady could have a roll. Not this one. Dailey (while not exactly indispensable) is more valuable than Brady would be (unless you can convince me he could have given some minutes at 3 when the team needed it)

If you are seriously comparing competition in the BigEast which is a legit power 5/6 league with two recent national titles to the competition in the MVC you are embarrassing yourself. Creighton would likely be unbeaten in the MVC right now. The MVC is ‘balanced’ in a bad way.

Creighton is 55 in Kenpom. They are in a much tougher conference (Big East). For comparison, Drake is 133 in Kenpom and is currently leading the MVC. Loyola-Chicago is 126 and is the highest rated MVC team in Kenpom.

There are NO minutes available for Ellingson to be effective. Dailey got most his B1G playing time with 17 mins at Northwestern and 14 mins at Penn State. Why? Cook was out and Baer had to play backup at 4 while Dailey gave back up mins at 3. Obviously Brady could not back up at 3. Fran’s normal rotation is to bring Connor in at point slide Jordan to 2 to rest Moss. Ideally rotating this way is best but he does bring Dailey in for spot mins at the 2. JoBo at pg and Brady at shooting is just a terrible combination at both ends of the court. 2 guards with neither a real threat to dribble drive. JoBo is actually an improvement in the zone on defense than what Brady was. Hey look, on some teams Brady could have a roll. Not this one. Dailey (while not exactly indispensable) is more valuable than Brady would be (unless you can convince me he could have given some minutes at 3 when the team needed it)

You are too caught up with the traditional 1/2/3/4/5 positions. It's all about matchups.

You don't think this team could use one more shooter? We basically just have Bohannon, Moss, and Weiskamp. Baer's shot has surprised this year but not sure he can be counted on. With the skilled bigs we have inside, I'd like another shooter coming off the bench to space the floor for them to work.

Congrats to Brady for finding his niche.

Iowa has too many MVC players - Dailey, Kriener, Nunge, and you could say Conner Mac since he doesn’t have an outside shot or looking for it. Very frustrating.

You are too caught up with the traditional 1/2/3/4/5 positions. It's all about matchups.

You don't think this team could use one more shooter? We basically just have Bohannon, Moss, and Weiskamp. Baer's shot has surprised this year but not sure he can be counted on. With the skilled bigs we have inside, I'd like another shooter coming off the bench to space the floor for them to work.

Who the hell does BE “matchup” with . L O L. He CAN’T space the floor. Funny you say I am too caught up in positions 1,2,3,4,5. To play positionless basketball you need athletes capable of being versatile ESPECIALLY at the defensive end. This description is about as far fro BE as you can get!

Why do you find Baer’s 3 point shooting a surprise? Shot 40% as frosh. Soph year made 84 3 pointers shooting 38%. Last year he never seemed to find his game after being injured and only hit 30%. This year seems more back to his normal 3 point shooting than a “surprise”. Id still rather main 3 guard rotation Moss, Bohannon, McCaffery. If in a game down the stretch where you can do a offense/defense rotation our best guard defense is McCaffery/Dailey on D and bring Bohannon in on offense for Dailey. There is absolutely ZERO combination with Brady that is best offensively or defensively. In spot duty he showed both an inability to get a shot off but worse yet to even WANT to shoot the ball.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT