ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg gone!

word on the radio in Phx is that they will make a strong run at Jeff Hornacek.....will be able to give him more money and more stability than the NBA. I have NO knowledge that there is any traction to the rumor, but it is being talked about here.

Not quite as popular as the Mayor, but not far behind.....and perhaps a better coach. Would be a huge recovery hire if they could pull it off.

Can he recruit? Has he ever recruited before?

Can he recruit? Has he ever recruited before?
Great question, or would he even want to? I know a guy who works in some capacity with the Suns, he knows him a bit and said that he isn't real sentimental about his ISU days. Doesn't make it a point to watch any games, doesn't talk about it, etc.... so it seems it would have to be mostly about money and security for him to do it.....and less about love for the town and the school like the Mayor has.

If Fred is gonna go, it will be now. Some talent to work with, and he might not even have to move his family out of Ames. I don't mind ISU having success when they aren't playing the Hawks....and I really like FH, hope it turns out well for him either way.

Reactions: D-Hawk
He is either posturing to get a hefty raise at ISU or he is leaving for Bulls.

I'm convinced he is leaving. It is just a matter of Chicago working out the best way to pawn off Thibs and get something for him. And I'll go a step further and introduce you to Interim Head Coach T. J. Otzelberger.

th
How about that, they even look alike! Like...Clones!

Reactions: MTHawkeyes43
Hoiberg leaving ISU might just be a top 10 moment for me as a Hawkeye fan.

Bad news, once he fails as an NBA coach, he will be right back at ISU in a few years.

Can't wait for ISU to take the hit though. Like i said, top 10 moment.

Its an interesting situation for sure. Even if Hoiberg does come back to Iowa State, how long will he be there? 1 more year, 2 more? I have a hard time believing Hoiberg will lock into a long term deal with Iowa State and I also have a hard time believing donors will pony up big $$$ to keep him for just 1 or 2 more years.

Its an interesting situation for sure. Even if Hoiberg does come back to Iowa State, how long will he be there? 1 more year, 2 more? I have a hard time believing Hoiberg will lock into a long term deal with Iowa State and I also have a hard time believing donors will pony up big $$$ to keep him for just 1 or 2 more years.

Yeah! And I have a hard time believing that any coach that intended to stay would willingly sabotage his own recruiting efforts by remaining quiet for weeks. He's gone. It is now becoming the best move for Iowa State anyway...if Hoiberg did stay, as mentioned, everyone knows it's temporary!

Reactions: Pepperman
I think Hoiberg can use the heart surgery to dampen the effects of his silence the past few weeks. It won't come off entirely sincere, but could easily be used without people completely rolling their eyes.

Having said that, I think it's just a matter of time. My friend saw him in San Francisco last year at a restaurant. Same time Golden State was looking for a coach... If not this year, next year. He doesn't want to babysit players. The success of Brad Stevens probably helps this decision be a little easier.

isu always returns to normalcy. When they think they are turning the corner and being decent the coach leaves or is fired. It doesn't matter if it is Football, MBB or Wrestling the outcome is the same.

Since the early 1970's it has been rinse and repeat for isu. No evidence exists that isu's MBB program today is any different.

Of course Farmer and other clown fans will tell us what we must ignore and exactly how it really is. That is what is so entertaining.

you don't need to worry about whether or not Fred can coach defense in the NBA... I've never seen an NBA team play one solid possession of defense

you don't need to worry about whether or not Fred can coach defense in the NBA... I've never seen an NBA team play one solid possession of defense

It's always easy to tell whether someone watches the NBA based on comments like these. Just because defenders aren't allowed to mug ball-handlers and cutters doesn't mean they aren't playing defense. Ignorance is bliss....

Reactions: clickhere 01
Yeah! And I have a hard time believing that any coach that intended to stay would willingly sabotage his own recruiting efforts by remaining quiet for weeks. He's gone. It is now becoming the best move for Iowa State anyway...if Hoiberg did stay, as mentioned, everyone knows it's temporary!
Yes if he had any notion of saying he would have released a statement. Got to be impacting ISU on the recruiting trail.

Did he comment about Golden State last year?

Fred knows that once he speaks about rumors regarding "team X" he will have to comment every time his name is mentioned about a job, open or not. So he would have had to comment on: Golden State, Chicago, New Orleans, Minnesota, and Oklahoma City, to name a few. It just doesn't make sense to do so.

And if he did come out and say, "I'm not interested in the Chicago Bulls job" and then someday change his mind, people on here would be calling him a liar and saying he lacks integrity.

Did he comment about Golden State last year?

Fred knows that once he speaks about rumors regarding "team X" he will have to comment every time his name is mentioned about a job, open or not. So he would have had to comment on: Golden State, Chicago, New Orleans, Minnesota, and Oklahoma City, to name a few. It just doesn't make sense to do so.

And if he did come out and say, "I'm not interested in the Chicago Bulls job" and then someday change his mind, people on here would be calling him a liar and saying he lacks integrity.

Yes if he had any notion of saying he would have released a statement. Got to be impacting ISU on the recruiting trail.
I agree it has to be hurting recruiting. And if I had to bet, I'd bet he's going to the NBA.

However, in each of the two previous years he was interviewed semi-formally about jobs in the NBA, and he made no public statement about that, either at the time or later.

There's never been any question in the minds of most ISU fans that Fred wants to coach in the NBA. He's said so, for one thing, which is a pretty good clue. His contract has a $2 million buyout if he goes to another college job, but only $500K if he goes to the NBA, which is chump change.

Most of us thought he would stay until he won a league championship and/or his kids were out of school. That seemed logical for any number of reasons. It still does, for that matter. And you can argue his health situation in several ways. (1) It isn't relevant, which is his position; (2) it's a reminder that his time might be limited and thus an incentive to go to the NBA if a good opportunity is presented; (3) it's a reminder that his time might be limited and thus an incentive to stay at ISU where he can spend more time with his family; (4) it isn't an idea situation for the additional stress that would come with an NBA job.

But yeah, it has to be hurting recruiting, and it should.

This is my theory about Fred's silence thus far. I'm betting his doctor has not released him. Like when Fred was weighing his options whether to retire or continue to play in the NBA he gave great weight to his doctor's expert opinion of his risks in playing. He might be doing the same this time and I don't think a doctor would give his odds for high stress until Fred is released which should be soon.

This is my theory about Fred's silence thus far. I'm betting his doctor has not released him. Like when Fred was weighing his options whether to retire or continue to play in the NBA he gave great weight to his doctor's expert opinion of his risks in playing. He might be doing the same this time and I don't think a doctor would give his odds for high stress until Fred is released which should be soon.
I think it's possible Fred's health has a bigger role in this than most of us observers realize. I just reviewed a Register story from before the surgery, and it reminded me of how serious the situation is.....for instance, that the doctors wanted to do it last December, and that a doctor examined Fred's heart functions before every home game. It's within the bounds of reason to think he might be on the fence about his coaching duties this year either at Ames or in the NBA. In other words, he may be leaving the door open to taking a year off, or to having a reduced role this season.

Here's the story, for those who missed it or who wish to be reminded: http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...oiberg-will-have-open-heart-surgery/25513599/

I'm just not sure why the guy gave up a great gig in the NBA to circle the wagons and be a coach in the NBA. He could have done that earlier. The ISU move made a bit more sense because of his love for ISU. Maybe he is just sick and tired of babysitting college athletes like someone said. Of course, he doesn't have to take every iffy player out there to try and win. Look at Iowa.

I'm just not sure why the guy gave up a great gig in the NBA to circle the wagons and be a coach in the NBA. He could have done that earlier. The ISU move made a bit more sense because of his love for ISU. Maybe he is just sick and tired of babysitting college athletes like someone said. Of course, he doesn't have to take every iffy player out there to try and win. Look at Iowa.

No way he goes to the NBA. It may be his dream, but the way it stands, the travel and stress would kill him by Christmas.

Hell, it wouldn't surprise me if he's forced to quit coaching all together at some point.

Reactions: Gink
Boy randy Peterson going way way out on a limb by predicting we will know something about Hoyburger within 10 days. I suspect Pullard knows if Hoyburger is leaving and already is lining up his replacement. As was pointed out in the article, Pullard does not waste time when he loses a coach.

But baby sitting for Millionaire teenagers with contracts worth more than he is making can't be good for the heart either.
If you think NBA coaches baby sit players, then you are naive. There are many folks on staff that are there to protect the club's investment in talent. It would be a reason for him to go.

I agree it has to be hurting recruiting. And if I had to bet, I'd bet he's going to the NBA.

However, in each of the two previous years he was interviewed semi-formally about jobs in the NBA, and he made no public statement about that, either at the time or later.

There's never been any question in the minds of most ISU fans that Fred wants to coach in the NBA. He's said so, for one thing, which is a pretty good clue. His contract has a $2 million buyout if he goes to another college job, but only $500K if he goes to the NBA, which is chump change.

Most of us thought he would stay until he won a league championship and/or his kids were out of school. That seemed logical for any number of reasons. It still does, for that matter. And you can argue his health situation in several ways. (1) It isn't relevant, which is his position; (2) it's a reminder that his time might be limited and thus an incentive to go to the NBA if a good opportunity is presented; (3) it's a reminder that his time might be limited and thus an incentive to stay at ISU where he can spend more time with his family; (4) it isn't an idea situation for the additional stress that would come with an NBA job.

But yeah, it has to be hurting recruiting, and it should.

Very well-reasoned post there. We need more of this on these boards and less of the "Farmer vs 100" posts.

Reactions: DanL53
Thibs just fired. Bulls management goes scorched earth on best coach in the NBA....Fred is in their sites now. Watch your back Freddy.

Thibs is a good coach but definitely not the best in the NBA. It's a personal opinion but I think Thibs played his best players too much, did utilize Gasol properly, and his offensive sets were mediocre. That said, he may be the best defensive coach in the NBA.

Agree.....Best defensive basketball in the world is played in the NBA

ftw.usatoday.com/.../college-basketball-better-than-nba-ncaa
USA Today
Feb 19, 2015 - There is no comparison between college basketball and the pros. ... No one cares if the Knicks beat the [whoever's the best team in the West], but ... Pro basketball features millionaires allergic to defense playing a game on a ...

Reactions: Psyclone
Thibs just fired. Bulls management goes scorched earth on best coach in the NBA....Fred is in their sites now. Watch your back Freddy.
I don't believe they would have done this had they not had their new guy (Fred) in the bag.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT