ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg's tournament record

ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

HR Heisman
Apr 17, 2002
Didn't realize he had such little success in the tourney. You'd think he's been to a few Final Fours and won 2 or 3 games the other years by the way the ISU fans talk about him.

After all most coaches are judged by what they do in the tourney, fair or not. Averaging 1 win each time you get in the dance makes you a God in Ames. It gets you ran out of town in Iowa City.

Didn't realize he had such little success in the tourney. You'd think he's been to a few Final Fours and won 2 or 3 games the other years by the way the ISU fans talk about him.

After all most coaches are judged by what they do in the tourney, fair or not. Averaging 1 win each time you get in the dance makes you a God in Ames. It gets you ran out of town in Iowa City.
Hell, last year he lost in the first round for the first time, and he's so ashamed he's leaving town!

Prior to that, he had lost twice in the second round and once in the third. Perhaps more relevant, all three of those losses were on basically the opponent's home court, and two of them were to the eventual national champion. ISU led UConn in the final minutes at New York, lost to Ohio State on a last-second shot at Dayton, and led Kentucky in the second half before falling at Louisville.

Reactions: bosoxfn28 and Myvue
Hell, last year he lost in the first round for the first time, and he's so ashamed he's leaving town!

Prior to that, he had lost twice in the second round and once in the third. Perhaps more relevant, all three of those losses were on basically the opponent's home court, and two of them were to the eventual national champion. ISU led UConn in the final minutes at New York, lost to Ohio State on a last-second shot at Dayton, and led Kentucky in the second half before falling at Louisville.

ISU has done well in NCAA tournament under Fred. Last year was the only bad loss.(Really bad) ISU did not lead UConn in the final minutes in New York. ISU was a bad draw and a bad call from 3 straight sweet 16's.

ISU has done well in NCAA tournament under Fred. Last year was the only bad loss.(Really bad) ISU did not lead UConn in the final minutes in New York. ISU was a bad draw and a bad call from 3 straight sweet 16's.

ISU led once in the game against UCONN. They took a 3-2 lead with 18:49 left to go in the first half and held that lead until 18:15 remained in the half.

ISU led once in the game against UCONN. They took a 3-2 lead with 18:49 left to go in the first half and held that lead until 18:15 remained in the half.

34 seconds of glory.

I am far from an ISU backer but Fred, all around, seems like the real deal. Big loss for ISU if he leaves.

34 seconds of glory.

I am far from an ISU backer but Fred, all around, seems like the real deal. Big loss for ISU if he leaves.

Im a big fan of Fred but I think TJ could be one of the top HC's in college basketball in a few years.

And yet they all sent Iowa State home. Who cares? Thats the NCAA tournament

I stand corrected. I thought it was a very close game right down to the wire.

Im a big fan of Fred but I think TJ could be one of the top HC's in college basketball in a few years.
Based on what? Honest question as I don't know much about this TJ guy's background. Only thing I have heard is he is the guy who convinced Fred to use the transfer strategy of getting good players. What is his coaching experience?

Based on what? Honest question as I don't know much about this TJ guy's background. Only thing I have heard is he is the guy who convinced Fred to use the transfer strategy of getting good players. What is his coaching experience?
I'm not aware that TJ was credited with the transfer strategy. I'm pretty sure Fred and Jamie said that's what Fred told Jamie when he was interviewed for the job in the first place.

I know very little about him except that he had a reputation as an excellent recruiter, especially with Wisconsin kids. He brought in several good players when he was on McDermott's staff. Ejim, Brackins, Naz Long, and some others with good credentials who ended up transferring. When Fred was hired, he said that a top priority was convincing TJ to remain at ISU and join his staff.

He is married to former ISU basketball star Allison Lacey. When he went to Washington, among the reasons cited were that she was playing pro ball in Seattle and it was easier for her to connect with her family in Australia than it was living in Iowa.

Reactions: Myvue
If it was Hoiberg's strategy to go the transfer route then he is a pretty brilliant guy. I would not have believed he could do that and keep all those guys out of trouble and avoid disharmony on the team (as they had this past year). I didn't like it but you would have to say it worked out for ISU.

The Hoiberg obsession on this board continues. I know it's a big deal that he's taking the Bulls job (probably) but now we're trying to paint him as a bad tournament coach? You guys are grasping at straws. The guy has done a fabulous job in Ames no matter how you want to slice it. As a hawk fan I'm glad he's leaving. Whoever ISU hires has their work cut out for them.

Reactions: clickhere 01
As a bulls/hawk fan, this couldn't have worked out better for me. I like Fred, hell of a coach and I dislike ISU. Perfect!

The Hoiberg obsession on this board continues. I know it's a big deal that he's taking the Bulls job (probably) but now we're trying to paint him as a bad tournament coach? You guys are grasping at straws. The guy has done a fabulous job in Ames no matter how you want to slice it. As a hawk fan I'm glad he's leaving. Whoever ISU hires has their work cut out for them.
Agreed, plus it was hard not to like him.

Iowa state. They have the talent next year for a special season, I don't see either team putting that much talent on the floor at the same time at any other point in the next 5 years.
Seriously? You already know how good all of Iowas incoming recruits are going to be?

hoiberg hit big on two rated high school guys, Morris and niang. otherwise his rated recruits have been bad. hes developed naz as four year player but who else?

Seriously? You already know how good all of Iowas incoming recruits are going to be?

I don't. ISU could have two preseason all Americans and at least 3 preseason all conference players who are all upperclassmen. I don't think that's ever happened at ISU before, let me know if it's happened at Iowa.

I don't. ISU could have two preseason all Americans and at least 3 preseason all conference players who are all upperclassmen. I don't think that's ever happened at ISU before, let me know if it's happened at Iowa.
He said five years, clearly things look good for isu next year, but after that? Iowa pulled in a large class this year, will it be good, I don't know, but we at least know what type of guys are coming in. Assuming Morris goes pro, you're left with Thomas, the Greek, cook, burton, and racevic. It's just pretty bare right now, and I think that was his point.

We are certainly talking a lot about Fred now that the season is over and there is not much else going on. (basketball related) Once the PTL rolls around I doubt you will see much chatter about the cyclone coach (whomever that may be)

He is married to former ISU basketball star Allison Lacey. When he went to Washington, among the reasons cited were that she was playing pro ball in Seattle and it was easier for her to connect with her family in Australia than it was living in Iowa.

Allison was NOT playing for the Seattle Storm when TJ took the job at Washington in 2013. At the time she was the head women's coach at Marshalltown CC. She played one season in the WNBA...2010.

hoiberg hit big on two rated high school guys, Morris and niang. otherwise his rated recruits have been bad. hes developed naz as four year player but who else?

Not sure Niang was highly rated (3star?), but he could have been. Monte Morris (from Mich) actually wanted to accept Mich's offer, but he waited too long to accept. ISU got lucky with him - he's very good. Fred really has not developed many players from high school. Ejim may have been a McDermott recruit. Fred liked the jucos and free agents, and it worked for the most part, if that is what people want for representatives of their school. Transfer Univ. Fred never did scholarship one single Iowa kid to my knowledge.

Fred's job is not to reward Iowa kids w/scholarships. Or Fran's either. Fred ultimately is paid to win games or he gets fired. Fran as well. Some of you guys act like the Iowa State players were running around raping and pillaging and Fred was lucky to keep everything under control. Everybody doesn't do things the same. I don't get why some of you can't understand why Fred had so much success. He runs a great system, has an NBA background and Hilton is a great place to play in.

Reactions: Myvue
Fred's job is not to reward Iowa kids w/scholarships. Or Fran's either. Fred ultimately is paid to win games or he gets fired. Fran as well. Some of you guys act like the Iowa State players were running around raping and pillaging and Fred was lucky to keep everything under control. Everybody doesn't do things the same. I don't get why some of you can't understand why Fred had so much success. He runs a great system, has an NBA background and Hilton is a great place to play in.

Just to clarify, speaking only for myself, I think Hoiberg was VERY lucky not to have more problems like BBQ, or BYOB or whatever his initials were. And yes, I fully realize that every program, including Iowa, can give a kid a second chance now and then. My point is that Hoiberg seemed willing to give a lot of kids a second chance. Great, it worked out for him. For our purposes I just wanted to clarify that I'm not ACTING like anything, I really do think Hoiberg was lucky.

Most of the other stuff I have no disagreement with, other than a personal observation that I've always enjoyed watching freshmen, especially those from Iowa, entering a program and developing over four years. It may not be Coaching requirement to keep a job, like winning. But for me as a fan, it makes rooting for my team more fun. (Oh, and, to recruits from other states...I have no problem appreciating you either, discerning eye to pick Iowa.

Allison was NOT playing for the Seattle Storm when TJ took the job at Washington in 2013. At the time she was the head women's coach at Marshalltown CC. She played one season in the WNBA...2010.
Wow, I'm screwing the pooch in this thread, big-time. I was wrong about leading UConn in the final minute -- Cyclones never got closer than 4 at the end -- and I was misinformed about Allison's pro career. I was just repeating what I'd heard/read at the time TJ went to Washington.

Wow, I'm screwing the pooch in this thread, big-time. I was wrong about leading UConn in the final minute -- Cyclones never got closer than 4 at the end -- and I was misinformed about Allison's pro career. I was just repeating what I'd heard/read at the time TJ went to Washington.
It's ok. You are probably understandably upset this evening.

Last time iowa state was hyped they did not do well. Maybe that trend continues. Either way kansas will win the big twelve regular season title and oklahoma with buddy heild back is better than ISU. They were not good away from home (4-5) on road. Excited to see diallo manhandle ISU on the glass!

I believe this is what is known as a "moment of lucidity."

You are incorrect more routinely than any other poster on this site. Today is just another day that ends in "y" for you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT