ADVERTISEMENT

Hoiberg's tournament record

Let this sink in, that uab loss is the last game he coached at ISU. If I was a cyclone fan I would be pretty upset .

Fred is getting out of town ahead of the sanctions. He has to cheat since he can't coach worth a crud.
I don't agree with the can't coach part but I have heard this sentiment expressed by a number of people who think Fred's recruiting tactics will come back to bite the school. It does make you wonder.

Fred is getting out of town ahead of the sanctions. He has to cheat since he can't coach worth a crud.

I dont think he cheated. He exploited the rules the NCAA set forth and made them look like the dicks they are. He ran Iowa State like an NBA franchise signing free agents, all within the rules. He was there to win basketball games as fast as he could.

I don't agree with the can't coach part but I have heard this sentiment expressed by a number of people who think Fred's recruiting tactics will come back to bite the school. It does make you wonder.
Have you heard anything specific about violations or unethical actions? That's not a rhetorical question. I have not heard anything along those lines, and I wonder if the attitude you cite is simply rooted in the fact that he brought in a lot of transfers, several of whom had worn out their welcome at their original school.

Reactions: Myvue
Have you heard anything specific about violations or unethical actions? That's not a rhetorical question. I have not heard anything along those lines, and I wonder if the attitude you cite is simply rooted in the fact that he brought in a lot of transfers, several of whom had worn out their welcome at their original school.
No, just chatter from people wondering how he was able to lure all these players. I think the assumption was that there must be some funny business going on. I did hear some talk about tampering with players and selling them on the idea of transferring to ISU. If that happened that would be a violation. but I have no direct knowledge of that happening....simply rumors.

No, just chatter from people wondering how he was able to lure all these players. I think the assumption was that there must be some funny business going on. I did hear some talk about tampering with players and selling them on the idea of transferring to ISU. If that happened that would be a violation. but I have no direct knowledge of that happening....simply rumors.
Uh.............you must not read this board. The conventional wisdom here is that he got those players because nobody else wanted them.

I don't care which scenario you adopt, but you can't have it both ways.

Of course, some of those people are the same ones who think the Iowa coaches were surprised to hear about Uthoff's desire to transfer from Wisconsin and that Iowa may be a possible landing spot for him.

I dont think he cheated. He exploited the rules the NCAA set forth and made them look like the dicks they are. He ran Iowa State like an NBA franchise signing free agents, all within the rules. He was there to win basketball games as fast as he could.

I sincerely hope all ISU coaches try to win as fast as possible.

Good luck to them stopping their "top target " diallo and buddy heild
Being back. They're going to need some

If Fran was able to have the same success at Iowa that Fred was able to produce at ISU then most of the Iowa fans posting in this thread would be ecstatic. In addition, Iowa fans remember once upon a time when the head football coach for the Hawkeyes was a highly sought after by the NFL, of course that was when he was producing something more than mediocre teams. As far as I know no one is making a run at Fran to coach an NBA team. Fran is 1-4 against a supposed average, cheating coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: FG86 and Myvue
He is a good coach. So is fran . Fred took a program that was not doing well and decided to take transfers juco guys and run his team the way pretty similarly te way nba teams are run . Fran took a worse program and has not taken any shortcuts and has improved every year. When evaluating a coach you Always want to see improvement. Think about this mcdermott went to creighton and has had success there. Is lick even coaching now?

Good luck to them stopping their "top target " diallo and buddy heild
Being back. They're going to need some

Iowa State certainly will have the talent next season to not be to scared of Kansas or Oklahoma and Buddy Hield. In the last two Big 12 tournaments ISU is 2-0 against Kansas and 1-0 against Heild and Oklahoma. Iowa State is 3-1 against Kansas dating back to their win over Kansas in the 2013-2014 Big 12 tournament. Like many of Iowa's wins and losses both teams can beat the best of teams and lose to the teams they should not be losing, too.

Iowa State is 3-2 in the last two seasons with Heild playing for Oklahoma. Oklahoma lost both games to Iowa State when Heild scored the most points (26 and 30) of the five games. Iowa State under Fred was not afraid of Buddy Heild nor Kansas. Hopefully that will carry over into next season as the talent is there and hopefully the coaching will be as well.

Didn't realize he had such little success in the tourney. You'd think he's been to a few Final Fours and won 2 or 3 games the other years by the way the ISU fans talk about him.

After all most coaches are judged by what they do in the tourney, fair or not. Averaging 1 win each time you get in the dance makes you a God in Ames. It gets you ran out of town in Iowa City.
Hitting the herb again are you Rocky? You have to consistently get to the dance to worry about winning games. ISU does that and wins alot of games and championships along the way.

Hitting the herb again are you Rocky? You have to consistently get to the dance to worry about winning games. ISU does that and wins alot of games and championships along the way.
Lol, ClownSigh! ISU won 0 conference championships under Hoiberg. I prefer spelling it out, ZERO. Some people like to say 0-5. My daughter says Hoiberg was the not winner every single year he was in Ames!

Let me guess, you must live in Texas?! Lol, nice life!

As I've always said, Texas is Colorado's ghetto!

Lol, ClownSigh! ISU won 0 conference championships under Hoiberg. I prefer spelling it out, ZERO. Some people like to say 0-5. My daughter says Hoiberg was the not winner every single year he was in Ames!

Let me guess, you must live in Texas?! Lol, nice life!

As I've always said, Texas is Colorado's ghetto!
How many conference championships did Iowa win in the last five years?

How many conference championships did Iowa win in the last forty five years?

Man oh man I don't drink so must have been half asleep when I posted the above question.

I did mean to ask, how many conference tournament championships did Iowa win in the last five years. I have no idea how that forty got in there either.

How many conference championships did Iowa win in the last forty five years?

Man oh man I don't drink so must have been half asleep when I posted the above question.

I did mean to ask, how many conference tournament championships did Iowa win in the last five years. I have no idea how that forty got in there either.

Oh conference TOURNAMENT championships were confused with regular season championships. Stop, you're giving me flashbacks I don't need. I was trying to avoid insulting FH by comparing him to SA's conference tournament prowess and stellar track record with the #3 seed, and you have to go on doing this.

Actually, the answer to the question is zero for Iowa, 2 for ISU.

Now....WTF does this have to do with anything happening today?
What was the question? Iowa does most definitely have two conference regular season championships in the last 45 seasons. I can send you a pic of the banners if you want

What was the question? Iowa does most definitely have two conference regular season championships in the last 45 seasons. I can send you a pic of the banners if you want
The last men's basketball championship Iowa won was in 1970. It has shared titles since then. Iowa State won titles outright in 2000 and 2001.

So the question changes to outright? Got it. The conference lists them as winning it in those shared years. Or may it is similar to the 'true' champion your conference came up with in football. Or maybe we can change it to how many final fours ever... If that darn official hadn't blown that call maybe you would have one

So the question changes to outright? Got it. The conference lists them as winning it in those shared years. Or may it is similar to the 'true' champion your conference came up with in football. Or maybe we can change it to how many final fours ever... If that darn official hadn't blown that call maybe you would have one
Nothing changed.

Today, the Directors Cup says Iowa has a better baskeball team than isu. Must ignore though as Pollad screams how unfair it is, isu had to play mighty UAB.

If the Directors Cup is saying Iowa had a better basketball team than ISU this year it is truly flawed. The only criteria they could be using would be to throw out the entire season and that Iowa was best because of the one game Iowa won in the NCAA tournament to zero for ISU. Rubbish. How many weeks was Iowa even ranked this year? The answer is one. ISU has been ranked in the top 25 in the nation for almost two years without falling out.

I think the state of Iowa fans should support both teams unless they are playing each other. I read the ISU board some and don't see them bashing Iowa all the time. Finally read one tiny criticism yesterday while Iowa fans on this board talk as much about Iowa State as they do about their own team.

Reactions: MTHawkeyes43
If the Directors Cup is saying Iowa had a better basketball team than ISU this year it is truly flawed. The only criteria they could be using would be to throw out the entire season and that Iowa was best because of the one game Iowa won in the NCAA tournament to zero for ISU. Rubbish. How many weeks was Iowa even ranked this year? The answer is one. ISU has been ranked in the top 25 in the nation for almost two years without falling out.

I think the state of Iowa fans should support both teams unless they are playing each other. I read the ISU board some and don't see them bashing Iowa all the time. Finally read one tiny criticism yesterday while Iowa fans on this board talk as much about Iowa State as they do about their own team.

Cyclone fanatic does nothing but bash Iowa. They go on and on and on about how great isu is and the Directors Cup proves it. Well at least they tout the Directors Cup when isu is exceeding their typical performance. Funny how when Iowa is doing better the Directors Cup is to be ignored.

Only a clown troll could write this and be serious.

Fred went 3-3 in the tourney. Going .500 is a pretty good result.

But Fred is gone. Good luck with the new guy.

So a division is now a conference? They probably should name them the same thing so people don't get confused. What? They aren't the same? Now we are talking two separate sports? Better slow it down for me a little.

So a division is now a conference? They probably should name them the same thing so people don't get confused. What? They aren't the same? Now we are talking two separate sports? Better slow it down for me a little.
No, but the ruling here in the past was that ISU never won a division title. In fact, when a Cyclone fan pointed out that there was a trophy, he/she was roundly ridiculed. I'm OK with whatever we decide, but it has to be consistent.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT