ADVERTISEMENT

How Can Clemson Be in Sweet 16?

No, 1/16 does not give me pause.

Keep in mind, the US population is 75% white, 13% black. Do you need any additional help understanding how unusual it is to have so many white players on the Iowa roster? Yes, the state’s demographics comes into play. But then we take a peek over to Ames…..
Yep, these are called outliers. That is statistics 101.

Last edited:
No. I conceded the point that having more black players might allow us to recruit the top black players (“play with at least some people who look like me”).
Well, that was the whole argument all along....................not that black players > white players.

I never conceded that “black players are better than white players”.
Although............who are you trying to sell this ^^^ argument to? 😆

Btw, Clemson may start 3 white guys..........but those are the only white guys that played for them in their Sweet 16 game.

Looks to me like they have your typical big, tall athletic white post player, a stretch 4 that can occasionally shoot 3s, and a stereotypical 3 and D guy who basically only looks to shoot 3s. (So, your classic Wisconsin lineup)

And?..............

But one team with three out of five starters white should give those of you that think “we need more black guys” pause, right?

Like maybe race is not the determining factor, but rather talent, for who is good?
I don't care if they are black or white as long as they are better athletes than what we currently have. Fran can't recruit for sh#t. He's lucked into everything and the high ranked guys were already Iowa homers.

They start 3 white guys.

I wonder if maybe race doesn’t indicate if a person is good at basketball.
Well, that's one team. They are an outlier. Go back over the last 20 years or and look at the makeup of Final Four teams and I imagine you'll see what I mean. Plus, we're not talking about "good at basketball". We're not talking about shooting and dribbling, and ability to play defense. The issue is the sheer quickness and athleticism, which in the vast majority of cases is off-the-charts in favor of the black players. It doesn't take a sheet of metrics or stats to know this. it takes a set of eyes and a TV.

Well, that's one team. They are an outlier. Go back over the last 20 years or and look at the makeup of Final Four teams and I imagine you'll see what I mean. Plus, we're not talking about "good at basketball". We're not talking about shooting and dribbling, and ability to play defense. The issue is the sheer quickness and athleticism, which in the vast majority of cases is off-the-charts in favor of the black players. It doesn't take a sheet of metrics or stats to know this. it takes a set of eyes and a TV.
It's hard to believe some still don't grasp that.

I would even argue that quickness and athleticism also enhances ones ability to play defense. I can't count the number of times I've seen what appeared to be an easy layup or dunk coming, end up denied by an athletic play by a defender that elevates and blocks the shot at the last second.. That's something I can't see very many on Iowa's roster being physically capable of. Not to mention that extra quickness making a defender harder to beat off the dribble to begin with.

It's not racism to recognize that the vast majority of high level basketball players are black. It's a recognition of fact. We can argue over root cause, but raw numbers don't lie.
Correct.

The racism is in saying “we need more black players” or “we suck because we are too white”.

Clemson coach is my new favorite Coach. He called out the BIG 12 before the tourney started for manipulating the NET with non-con. schedules. I wondered about that statement as it was pretty bold before he even played any games in the tourney. Clemson backed it up with a win over 3 seeded Baylor who had a NET ranking of 15.
Rather lengthy but check out some numbers:

Houston. NET rank of #1. 13-0 in non-league. Best non-con. win was Tex. A&M. Played a long list of nobodies. End up a 1 seed.

ISU. NET rank of #6. 11-2 non con. record. Best non league win, VCU or Iowa?. Losses to the Best two teams they played in Non League, Va, Tech (19-15) and Tex. A&M. Both on neutral courts. End up a two seed.

BYU: NET ranking of 12: 12-1 non con. Best win San Diego St. Loss was to NIT Utah. End up a six seed. Lost to 11 seed in first round.

Baylor: NET ranking of 15. Actually played a decent non-league schedule with wins over Aub. and Florida and losses to Michigan St. by 24 and Duke by 8. #3 seed n tourney. Lost to 6 seed Clemson.

Kansas: NET ranking of 19. Good wins over. Kentucky, Tenn. and UCONN. Loss to Marquette. Probably only valid NET ranking of all the Big 12 teams in the tourney. Injuries derailed.

Texax Tech: NET ranking of 28. 11-2 non league. Best win was over UNI. Losses to Villanova and Butler. Neither of those teams were NCAA tourney teams. 6 seed in tourney. Lost to 11 seed in NCAA tourney.

Texas:: NET rank of 30: 11-2 non league. Losses to UCONN by 10 and Marquette by 21. Best non league win was 17-16 LSU. 7 seed in tourney.

TCU: NET ranking of42: 13-2 non league. Best win. Hard to tell but probably 14-18, ASU. Losses to Clemson and Nevada. 9 seed on tourney.

Big 12 is 7-7 in tourney so far. 0-1 in NIT.
No Big 12 team has won a tourney game against a better seeded team.

6 Big 12 teams have lost to teams seeded worse.

The lowly Big 10 is 7-4 in the tourney with Purdue going today. BIG has 3 wins against teams seeded better.

NCAA better figure out a valid ranking system because the Clemson coach was dead on with his statement.

Houston better win today or the league humiliation will be complete.

Houston, we got a problem. Teams plays some nice defense. Reminds me of the West Virginia women's team. (bit of sarcasm)

The humiliation is complete.
Big 12 bows out with each of their 8 teams losing to a lower seed.
ACC is 11-2
Big East is 7-2. Only had 3 teams in the tourney and if UCONN beats Illinois will finish with more wins than Big12.
SEC is 7-6.
BIG 10 is 8-4
PAC 12 is 6-4
Big 12 finishes 7-8
6 power conferences.. Big 12 +#6.

I have been reading a lot of tourney stuff this morning. I am having trouble finding any columns or commentary on how badly the Big 12 underperformed. Seems when similar happens to the BIG 10, it is headlines on every site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Correct.

The racism is in saying “we need more black players” or “we suck because we are too white”.
I think it's more a reflection of percentages in context. When you have a team where 75-80% of the minutes go to white players within a sport where 75-80% of the elite players are black, that might reflect a dearth of talent. Adding more black players alone obviously doesn't improve things. Adding more talented players does, and given the realities of the sport, would most likely add more color as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT