ADVERTISEMENT

How many schools have a

It doesn't appear to be many. A quick check shows South Carolina, Kansas, Boise State and Florida State in addition to Iowa. I've heard in passing that one or two more have joined the ranks but I don't remember who they are.

Social media policy for players like Iowa does(no twitter)?

Iowa is probably in the minority. If that policy is in place to keep out team infighting, I have no problem with it. If it's in place because the coaches don't want any criticism, then I do have a problem with it. Social media can help recruiting, but I assume it can also hurt. Tough call on this one.

Reactions: mcljd
Given Kirk's putrid recruiting results it's pure genius to take away an item teenagers enjoy as a daily and integral part of their lives thus giving them even more reason (as if they needed anymore) to stay away from Capt. Special Ed.

I think fOSU should join that list thanks to Mr. Cardale Jones. He is not a smart one.

Honestly I think it is a good thing. Remember McCabe? Things that are said on message boards is one thing but when people are going straight to players and telling them they are terrible I think that's going too far.

People on here are cruel. I would prefer the players focusing on playing the game

Agree, I think it is good.

However, kids disagree and the recruiting might reflect that.

Everyone thinks they are entitled to float every idiotic idea that pops into their brain out there for the entire world to see.

Sort of like what we do here, actually.

Agree, I think it is good.

However, kids disagree and the recruiting might reflect that.

Everyone thinks they are entitled to float every idiotic idea that pops into their brain out there for the entire world to see.

Sort of like what we do here, actually.

FREE SPEECH FREE SPEECH I'm hosting a draw Mohammad contest tomorrow. Who wants to come. Bring your gun. You can call me son. No I'm not done. Get ready to be stunned, when I deliver this pun:

Did you hear about the guy whose whole left side was cut off? He's all right now.

Another one?

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. It's impossible to put down.

You want more fun?

It's not that the man did not know how to juggle, he just didn't have the balls to do it.

Are you jealous cuz I deliver laughs by the ton?

Have you ever tried to eat a clock? It's very time consuming.

You think I'm losing, I think I won!

It's a great thing they are off Twitter. The trolls are out in full force these days. It's only to protect the players from undo comments from idiots. I've snooped on programs that allow it. After a tough Saturday loss these people go nuts on these kids. These so called fans are anonymous and can be real cruel to coaches and players. They do still allow instagram, texting, and facebook. I snoop on the Iowa players and always see some good stuff on their accounts occasionally their are some idiots, but for the most part are pretty protected.

I don't know if it has an impact but it seems to be how people know players are leaving, if it is one of the first things they do when deciding to leave it is either striking back at the program or something they miss. I would rather allow it and monitor it rather then ban it, I know the first thing I want to do is what my parents said I couldn't do, but I am a rebel.

Twitter can be a cesspool. I think if I was a player I wouldn't mind if I was banned. And isn't Twitter the only thing they are banned from? There's Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Vine etc. etc. etc. It's not exactly a hardship to be without it.

Then you are totally out of touch with the importance of social media to you people. It absolutely has an effect on recruiting in a negative way.

Bingo. No social media, no new jerseys, all PC talk, no mistakes, no fun. If I'm 18, IA seems like a decent program but not for new and fresh ideas.

Not having twitter is just another example of how KF cannot adapt. How do you not allow social media to a kid in 2015? All kids use now is social media. It's a main form of communication. Meyer credits his recruiting because of players on social media.

I understand why top recruits won't come to IA. Much better places right now. The funny thing is KF knows this but refuses to change.

Sad how every aspect of IA football is outdated. Including Barta.

Sure, Chrissy. Please post proof that a Twitter ban has impacted recruiting.

That is like asking someone to post proof that having a better RB than Mark Weisman would have effected wins and losses or building a new football complex has a positive impact on recruiting. There is no way to post hard evidence. I wouldn't ask you to post proof that a twitter ban doesn't effect recruiting. I'm smarter than that.

What I can tell you like stated above when players leave the program they quickly run to twitter. When players get offers they immediately post it on Twitter. I have a teenager and spend time around teenagers so I understand; no matter how disappointingly, that social media is very important to them. Working in Human Resources I can tell you that social media and mobile is the most important thing in getting the attention of young talent.

Iowa is basically telling 18 year old people that they are not mature enough to handle Twitter. That simply is not a message that they will be receptive. The idea of creating the brand of "not sexy", "we're just little Iowa", no special jerseys, No twitter; is not a successful concept that attracts recruits. The best evidence I can give you is recruiting results.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pepperman
To often people think everything about Twitter is evil. Yes you hear about the bad things and the trolls going crazy when team/player doesn't play well. But it's not all bad. Twitter is a huge format that people of HS and college age use. Fran doesn't have the ban and I haven't heard of a problem.

That is like asking someone to post proof that having a better RB than Mark Weisman would have effected wins and losses or building a new football complex has a positive impact on recruiting. There is no way to post hard evidence. I wouldn't ask you to post proof that a twitter ban doesn't effect recruiting. I'm smarter than that.

What I can tell you like stated above when players leave the program they quickly run to twitter. When players get offers they immediately post it on Twitter. I have a teenager and spend time around teenagers so I understand; no matter how disappointingly, that social media is very important to them. Working in Human Resources I can tell you that social media and mobile is the most important thing in getting the attention of young talent.

Iowa is basically telling 18 year old people that they are not mature enough to handle Twitter. That simply is not a message that they will be receptive. The idea of creating the brand of "not sexy", "we're just little Iowa", no special jerseys, No twitter; is not a successful concept that attracts recruits. The best evidence I can give you is recruiting results.

Exactly. So why keep this BS narrative going? This goes along with the stupidity of "Kirk doesn't care" or "Kirk isn't trying", etc. There are plenty of tangible things happening/not happening with the program that affects recruiting: Lack of big W's lately, GD's shitty offense, etc. I have a teenager as well and understand that social media is important but there isn't a "ban" on all social media.

To often people think everything about Twitter is evil. Yes you hear about the bad things and the trolls going crazy when team/player doesn't play well. But it's not all bad. Twitter is a huge format that people of HS and college age use. Fran doesn't have the ban and I haven't heard of a problem.

For the record, Fran did for a time last year.

In the most Ferentzian coaching move by Fran McCaffery we’ve seen so far in his short tenure at Iowa, members of his team are not allowed to have Twitter accounts for the remainder of the season.

McCaffery said he told all his players to deactivate their Twitter accounts during his teleconference on Monday, a day before Iowa travels to Minneapolis to take on a reeling Minnesota squad. The ban is a response to all the negative attacks senior forward Zach McCabe received on the social-media site following his missing a 3-point shot that would have tied Iowa with Wisconsin with 17 seconds remained in an eventual 79-74 loss on Feb. 22.

Iowa players will be able to resume tweeting once the season over, which is merciful compared with Iowa football head coach Kirk Ferentz, who does not allow members of his squad to have any connection to Twitter as Hawkeyes. Ferentz has had the Twitter ban on his squad since 2010, when estranged wide receiver Derrell Johnson-Koulianos decided to exercise his First Amendment rights in a manner that Ferentz didn’t find becoming of his football players.

McCabe responded to negative criticism with his own expletive-filled outburst on Twitter. He deleted the Tweet nine minutes after posting, but the damage was done. It appears for now that players are still able to have presences on Instagram, Facebook, and Google Plus.

Nationally ranked Kansas, Duke, Arizona, and Iowa State all have players and/or coaches with active Twitter accounts.

Iowa now joins Minnesota as the only teams in the Big Ten where its players are on Twitter probation. Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino banned Twitter just last week for his players.

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2014/02/25/Sports/36783.html

For the record, Fran did for a time last year.

In the most Ferentzian coaching move by Fran McCaffery we’ve seen so far in his short tenure at Iowa, members of his team are not allowed to have Twitter accounts for the remainder of the season.

McCaffery said he told all his players to deactivate their Twitter accounts during his teleconference on Monday, a day before Iowa travels to Minneapolis to take on a reeling Minnesota squad. The ban is a response to all the negative attacks senior forward Zach McCabe received on the social-media site following his missing a 3-point shot that would have tied Iowa with Wisconsin with 17 seconds remained in an eventual 79-74 loss on Feb. 22.

Iowa players will be able to resume tweeting once the season over, which is merciful compared with Iowa football head coach Kirk Ferentz, who does not allow members of his squad to have any connection to Twitter as Hawkeyes. Ferentz has had the Twitter ban on his squad since 2010, when estranged wide receiver Derrell Johnson-Koulianos decided to exercise his First Amendment rights in a manner that Ferentz didn’t find becoming of his football players.

McCabe responded to negative criticism with his own expletive-filled outburst on Twitter. He deleted the Tweet nine minutes after posting, but the damage was done. It appears for now that players are still able to have presences on Instagram, Facebook, and Google Plus.

Nationally ranked Kansas, Duke, Arizona, and Iowa State all have players and/or coaches with active Twitter accounts.

Iowa now joins Minnesota as the only teams in the Big Ten where its players are on Twitter probation. Minnesota head coach Richard Pitino banned Twitter just last week for his players.

http://www.dailyiowan.com/2014/02/25/Sports/36783.html

Maybe Iowa should ban Facebook next. And Myspace. And Tumblr. And Reddit. And Snapchat. And mass emails. And Tinder. Just to be safe, let's keep all smartphones in Mr. Ferentz's desk when a recruit signs a LOI and they can get it back when they graduate. Or transfer.

The "hard evidence" is that most national programs do not have a ban, and the few that do are not doing well, at least in college basketball according to your article.

Maybe Iowa should ban Facebook next. And Myspace. And Tumblr. And Reddit. And Snapchat. And mass emails. And Tinder. Just to be safe, let's keep all smartphones in Mr. Ferentz's desk when a recruit signs a LOI and they can get it back when they graduate. Or transfer.

The "hard evidence" is that most national programs do not have a ban, and the few that do are not doing well, at least in college basketball according to your article.

LOL. Dreaming of what KF hasn't banned but might. That's too funny. A Twitter ban is the least important problem right now. I really don't care either way but there is absolutely zero evidence that the ban has cost any recruits. One look at a video of the Iowa offense is all that's needed to shun most skill position guys.

I see some of the same people who are against flashy uniforms are for banning twitter. I will say it again. It doesn't matter what you or I are for . It is about the 17 year olds we are trying to impress. And when we already have a reputation of playing a boring style we should help ourselves all we can.

Reactions: Legend12
I see some of the same people who are against flashy uniforms are for banning twitter. I will say it again. It doesn't matter what you or I are for . It is about the 17 year olds we are trying to impress. And when we already have a reputation of playing a boring style we should help ourselves all we can.

The Iowa program is the rich 30 y/o who gets a lot of dates with gorgeous, younger women but ultimately never gets second dates because he's boring and not attractive.

Seriously, what would attract a talented player to come to Iowa? The B1G vs MAC is about the only thing KF brings to the table. That and being a "good guy" leaves the program with a bunch of good kids who are decent at football. We're doing 7-5 the right way! SO PROUD KIRK!!!

This really should change. Maybe keep the ban for freshman but after that they should be allowed to use it. If they do something stupid then punish them. It is just such an outdated policy.

I always thought this was a good idea I read some writer propose last year.

Have every player on twitter give their info to Chigozie Ejiasi Director of Player Development. He and other lower level staff monitor them and if someone gets out of line pull them from tweeting. Other programs do something similar. Don't know how big of a deal it is for some but it does matter to a certain degree no matter how big or small it is to some recruits.

I agree with what Fran said about twitter though. He's not worried for most part what his players tweet. He stated it is disgusting some of the comments people send to his players. And by reading some people on these boards its not surprising to imagine some of the crap they must get, especially after a loss or bad game.

ADVERTISEMENT