ADVERTISEMENT

I saw a smoking hot woman in church this morning

Originally posted by NPRLover:
God is not only omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent, He's also an ophthalmologist. Nice.

He must be in a spiritual sense. Because, make no mistake, Jesus Christ did command for others to take part in the disciplining of other Christians.

Originally posted by XLargeHawk:

God is not only omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent, He's also an ophthalmologist. Nice.

He must be in a spiritual sense. Because, make no mistake, Jesus Christ did command for others to take part in the disciplining of other Christians.

You guys really tend to gravitate toward that aspect of the religion, don't you?

You guys really tend to gravitate toward that aspect of the religion, don't you?

I don't think so. It is just so against the culture to do so, it is therefore immediately noticed and pounced on by others.

Originally posted by HAWKSTAT:
What is the cut-off for kicking someone out and who decided the cut-off. Do you vote them our Survivor style? I don't remember reading in the Bible to kick someone out of your church if he goes home after church and pulls one off thinking about someone he saw there.

Lusting after another man's wife is a sin. Have you not read the teachings of Christ?

As far as kicking them out, is it not plain?

First Corinthians 5:11-16 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked man from among you.”

I see XLarge beat me to the quote. I was wondering how long it would take him to pull that one out.

He does have a valid point, in that the Bible provides a mechanism for discipline within the church. Even though, if you look at the context of St. Paul's quote, you would conclude that this expulsion from the church would be a very rare event.

However, the 1 Cor quote also illustrates what is wrong with modern Christianity. As a member of the church, my pastor or others can "call me to the carpet". But what about this part: "What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church?" Clearly, the church and its members should NOT judge those outside of the church -- but we clearly do. Many Christians waste an awful lot of time finding fault in others, and pointing out the sinful actions of non-believers.

But the reality is that it's none of our business. Once someone joins the Christian church, then the church can exercise spiritual discipline over that person. But it definitely should not attempt to judge anyone outside of its membership.

Originally posted by Hawk-A-Loogey:
He does have a valid point, in that the Bible provides a mechanism for discipline within the church. Even though, if you look at the context of St. Paul's quote, you would conclude that this expulsion from the church would be a very rare event.

It's only as rare as it is rare that someone participates in those things without stopping when the church confronts.

So can you tell me what is going on here? Did this whole scenario ever happen? Or were you trying to teach us all something? Your actions don't seem characteristic of what you have revealed to know.

I will have to try and remember this "Loogey."

Because you are judging him even though you are sinful yourself. Are you saying you are without sin?
You are also misinterpreting the Bible verse you keep referring to.

XLarge and his Jesus posse are merely Christian warriors defending the Word against the heathen onslaught.

They kick ass in His name.

You seem to be an antagonist. Do you have any comment on this Loog guy's actions?

Loogey's confession is good for his soul; and I, unlike some here, am concerned for his soul.

It seems that you could benefit from some of Kirk Cameron's evangelical videos. It could soften your approach.

You
know, XLarge, saying other Christians shouldn't be allowed in church
doesn't make you any bigger in God's eyes. God has enough people
distorting his message in a fundamentalist fervor. You don't need to be
one of them.
This post was edited on 4/24 3:42 PM by NPRLoverif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

churchsign3.jpg

I believe he's called her 'sugardaddy'. Or in Dallas they'd say 'shugadaddeh.

Remember: All that glitters is not gold....or something like that.
This post was edited on 4/25 9:04 PM by hwkibabeif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

NPRLOVER,

I was thinking about this some more. You have vigorously condemned and critiqued my behavior for vigorously condemning and critiquing Loog's behavior. I find that ironic and probably hypocritical.

Originally posted by nolookpass:
linc..why you keep bumping this? Hit close to home?

Lincoln is still convinced that Loog beating it to a woman he saw at church, is the same as him screaming profanities at a high schooler, in a fast food drive through, in front of his kids.

Originally posted by Hawk4Life94:

Lincoln is still convinced that Loog beating it to a woman he saw at church, is the same as him screaming profanities at a high schooler, in a fast food drive through, in front of his kids.

Strange, isn't it, the way lincoln rationalizes this? Maybe lincoln is confused and thinks that loogey did the act in front of his kids while at a fast food drive-thru window? Of course, to lincoln that would probably be acceptable.

Originally posted by Hawk4Life94:

Strange, isn't it, the way lincoln rationalizes this? Maybe lincoln is confused and thinks that loogey did the act in front of his kids while at a fast food drive-thru window? Of course, to lincoln that would probably be acceptable.

But then....yesterday Lincoln hinted that it wasn't even true...in pure TAI style.

This topic and its replies remind me of a MacB's Act 5, Scene 5 from The Bard: Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

This topic and its replies remind me of MacB's Act 5, Scene 5 from The Bard: Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

You know, XLarge, saying other Christians shouldn't be allowed in church doesn't make you any bigger in God's eyes. God has enough people distorting his message in a fundamentalist fervor. You don't need to be one of them.

I admit I don't know everything there is about Christianity. It just seems to me that Loog is not really trying. He admits he shouldn't do such, but chooses to enthusiastically do it anyway. I'm pretty sure Christ Himself taught that those who act like such should be shunned. Am I wrong to follow Jesus on this one?

Wow, I thought Christ taught specifically the opposite. That we need to have patience and reach out to all of mankind.

I think maybe NPR is right on this one...

Originally posted by hawkifann:

You know, XLarge, saying other Christians shouldn't be allowed in church doesn't make you any bigger in God's eyes. God has enough people distorting his message in a fundamentalist fervor. You don't need to be one of them.

I admit I don't know everything there is about Christianity. It just seems to me that Loog is not really trying. He admits he shouldn't do such, but chooses to enthusiastically do it anyway. I'm pretty sure Christ Himself taught that those who act like such should be shunned. Am I wrong to follow Jesus on this one?

Wow, I thought Christ taught specifically the opposite. That we need to have patience and reach out to all of mankind.

I think maybe NPR is right on this one...

"Thought" is probably the key word in your statement. Many just haven't taken the time to read all of Christ's teachings. The majority of them are very judgmental.

Matthew 18:15-17
Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

Originally posted by kinnick79:
This topic and its replies remind me of MacB's Act 5, Scene 5 from The Bard: Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
/images/smilies/smokin.gif

Wasn't MacB/Shakespeare implying that the idiot was God in those lines?

Originally posted by the Howler:

Hmm, could be. Or maybe that we are the idiots?

Originally posted by the Howler:

Hmm, could be. Or maybe that we are the idiots?

I guess it depends if your philosophy is existential or spiritual.

[/QUOTE]

"Thought" is probably the key word in your statement. Many just haven't taken the time to read all of Christ's teachings. The majority of them are very judgmental.

Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.
[/B][/QUOTE]

So did you skip steps 1, 2 & 3 and go straight to step #4?
And how did loog tresspass against thee?
That passage isn't judgemental. It is forgiving & patient. Christ says to give the guy 3 chances before you condemn him.

Originally posted by WB03:

That passage isn't judgemental. It is forgiving & patient. Christ says to give the guy 3 chances before you condemn him.[/B]

Precisely.

That passage isn't judgemental. It is forgiving & patient. Christ says to give the guy 3 chances before you condemn him.

Precisely.[/B]

Guys, guys, you're losing sight here of what's really important: that the majority of Christ's teaching were very judgmental.

I haven't skipped to step #4. I haven't condemned him to Hell, I've condemned his actions. Plus, I'm not in Loog's church and that's the context. I'm just on a message and I think something as audacious as Loog's attitude and boldness in this demanded such. It reminds me of how Peter talked to the magician.

Acts 8:18-22
- And when Simon saw that through laying on of the apostles’ hands the Holy Ghost was given, he offered them money, Saying,
- Give me also this power, that on whomsoever I lay hands, he may receive the Holy Ghost.
- But Peter said unto him, Thy money perish with thee, because thou hast thought that the gift of God may be purchased with money.
- Thou hast neither part nor lot in this matter: for thy heart is not right in the sight of God.
- Repent therefore of this thy wickedness, and pray God, if perhaps the thought of thine heart may be forgiven thee. - (KJV)

And the passages of Christ are very judgmental and they're forgiving at the same moment. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Guys, guys, you're losing sight here of what's really important: that the majority of Christ's teaching were very judgmental.
Despite the sarcasm, strangely enough, I would agree.

You are indeed confirming my original observation. You're nothing more than a talented antagonist on this board.

Precisely.
You are not very consistent. Look at the big picture of what is going on in this thread.

I'm not quite sure what you mean.

I'm not saying that what Loogey did is what Jesus would have done in the same situation, but I was mostly objecting to the train of thought that he should be banished from the church. I think your end of the discussion has focused on some quick and heavy-handed punishments when the real message is more about forgiveness and patience.

Despite the sarcasm, strangely enough, I would agree.

You are indeed confirming my original observation. You're nothing more than a talented antagonist on this board.

While you may not be a retread of some former poster your content certainly is.

Where are your "precise" judgments on what Loog is doing is totally wrong?

I'm not saying that what Loogey did is what Jesus would have done in the same situation, but I was mostly objecting to the train of thought that he should be banished from the church.
According to Christ's teachings he should be banished by other church members if he doesn't repent.

I think your end of the discussion has focused on some quick and heavy-handed punishments when the real message is more about forgiveness and patience.
I think you've got my message and His message screwed up.

While you may not be a retread of some former poster your content certainly is.
The observation I made seemed obvious. Wouldn't you agree? Isn't that what you're trying to do? Correct me if I'm wrong. It looks like other posters of the past have thought similarly.

Where are your "precise" judgments on what Loog is doing is totally wrong?

I'm not saying that what Loogey did is what Jesus would have done in the same situation, but I was mostly objecting to the train of thought that he should be banished from the church.
According to Christ's teachings he should be banished by other church members if he doesn't repent.

I think your end of the discussion has focused on some quick and heavy-handed punishments when the real message is more about forgiveness and patience.
I think you've got my message and His message screwed up.

'Precisely' meant that another poster summed up what I was trying to say better than I did.

Precise judgments on Loog? Mostly, I don't think it's my place to judge him, mostly because his actions fell into that slightly gray area outside clear sin. I don't believe masturbation is a sin, so there's one thing out. One might argue the 'covet thy neighbor's wife' angle, but I didn't see Loog trying to make any moves for her or express any desire to cheat on his wife. I don't believe it's a sin to have some mental fantasies here and there. It makes it seem more overt that he saw her in church and did his business immediately afterward makes it seem extra 'dirty', but how is this any different than if he had seen a gorgeous woman in a bikini at the beach and then thought about it later?

I guess I just don't see much here that's worthy of banishment from the church. Then again, I'm probably just not as holy as some.

Precise judgments on Loog? Mostly, I don't think it's my place to judge him, mostly because his actions fell into that slightly gray area outside clear sin. I don't believe masturbation is a sin, so there's one thing out. One might argue the 'covet thy neighbor's wife' angle, but . . .
No, isn't it obvious and blatant sin according to the teachings of Jesus Christ. Didn't Christ even take the 10 commandments further?

Matthew 5:27-28
- Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
- But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

I guess I just don't see much here that's worthy of banishment from the church. Then again, I'm probably just not as holy as some.
Who is better qualified to judge what Christ wants banished in his church but Christ himself? Those who refuse to repent/quit are those that he wants banished.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT