ADVERTISEMENT

If Iowa loses to Illinois State?

We might see a new record for time spent doing this:
1409098363000-Kirk-Ferentz-Notes.jpg

Or this....
4425131883_91660d2c1b.jpg

Uh, but we arn't a MAC school.
the post i responded to said they are an fcs team. i pointed out that some top fcs teams are better than mac teams and iowa has lost a couple games to mac teams in the last couple years

the post i responded to said they are an fcs team. i pointed out that some top fcs teams are better than mac teams and iowa has lost a couple games to mac teams in the last couple years

Football ain't your thing. Nothing to apologise for.

It really shows the state of the football program when you even have to discuss or worry about losing to FCS Illinois State of a really bad Iowa State program...before Kurt that wouldn't have even been a discussion

Reactions: Todd Adamson
It really shows the state of the football program when you even have to discuss or worry about losing to FCS Illinois State of a really bad Iowa State program...before Kurt that wouldn't have even been a discussion

No, it shows the state of some of the fans. I would guess that a poll on this would result in a resounding "win" over Illinois State.

But I do agree that it is sad.

Clearly you've forgot about Iowa football history of the 60s and 70s. Even Hayden's last year or 2 was pretty poor.

Clearly you've forgot about Iowa football history of the 60s and 70s. Even Hayden's last year or 2 was pretty poor.

Ahh, never seems to fail the old 60's and 70's argument. Thing is, I know when we lose to Illinois State or Iowa State (and we will lose one of the two) people will start saying "I remember in the 60's and 70's.....

Guess what, it's 2015 and Iowa has had too much success in the 2000's and under Fry for people to continue pulling that card. It'd be different if we had the history of Wake Forest or Vanderbilt, but we've built ourselves a nice little program since the 1980's. The 60's and 70's bullcrap makes me want to vomit, especially when you look at our facilities and how much we pay our coach.

Ahh, never seems to fail the old 60's and 70's argument. Thing is, I know when we lose to Illinois State or Iowa State (and we will lose one of the two) people will start saying "I remember in the 60's and 70's.....

Guess what, it's 2015 and Iowa has had too much success in the 2000's and under Fry for people to continue pulling that card. It'd be different if we had the history of Wake Forest or Vanderbilt, but we've built ourselves a nice little program since the 1980's. The 60's and 70's bullcrap makes me want to vomit, especially when you look at our facilities and how much we pay our coach.

What if Iowa wins both the Illinois State and isu games? Will you be back here to correct yourself?

There is not a single game on any schedule that cannot be won/lost. For anyone to state "we will lose one of the two" at this juncture is nothing more than conjecture/opinion. Nothing else.

Reactions: And1Hawk
so in other words, no matter what happens you won't be happy.
No, I didn't say that either. You are supposed to love your children. So since you're supposed to do it it can't make you happy? Shut up

I'll be here and admit I was wrong. However, I think Iowa will be 1-1 to start. I'd say it's probably a 75% chance.

Why hedge your prognostication now? You seemed so sure of yourself in the earlier post... now it is maybe 3:1 odds in your most recent estimation. What has occurred in the last few hours to change your opinion? How many more times will you state something different so as to be able to say you told me/them so?

If you would have read the comment I was responding to you'd understand why I brought up the 60s and 70s. He said before KF there would have never been a discussion of an Iowa team losing to a team like Illinois State. Just merely stating yes there would have been a discussion before KF. Basically post evy pre hayden days.

...before Kurt that wouldn't have even been a discussion

As I stated yes before Kirk aka Kurt to this poster there has been this discussion.

I know when we lose to Illinois State or Iowa State (and we will lose one of the two)

That you are so sure the Hawkeyes will lose to Illinois State or Iowa State almost guarantees that they will win both. Your track record is not exactly stellar. Predictions are not your strong suit.

Also, I look forward to your forthcoming dire and behemothic pre-game pronouncements on three or four selective occasions during the course of the season, such as:

"Iowa vs. _______ is the biggest game for the Iowa football program since the 2010 Orange Bowl"; or

"Iowa vs. _______ has become the single most important game In Kirk Ferentz' coaching career"; or

"This weeks contest will determine the future of the Iowa football for the next 4 years, maybe more."; or

"Iowa vs. _______ is a turning point for Iowa: win and remain in contention for a division title, lose and never again compete for a B10 title."

... or some variation of an approaching doomsday. I love the drama!

nu...you just cannot convince some people ever on this board. There is a segment of this board that absolutely despises Ferentz. Always have, always will.

Illinois State will be breaking in a reasonably new O-line, but should have a great FCS QB/RB and defense. But, they are FCS, which means they logically shouldn't have the overall depth an Iowa would have. I would suspect it's going to be a game similar to Iowa and UNI last year...but if I had to say anything about Iowa, their defense might be better on the back end than the line so I would suspect their offense vs Iowa's defense as far as changes is a wash.

To me, it's how Iowa will do defensively that decides the game. ISU will get points against Iowa, and Iowa will get points against ISU. Like the UNI game, it'll be whether ISU is capable of breaking big TD plays against Iowa as to whether the game will truly be close. If they do get those plays, and Iowa doesn't...sure, Iowa could get beat.

I just have a hard time seeing Iowa not breaking 30...it's whether they'll need to is the question.

I see 38-24 Iowa...

In 25 years we'll be saying "Some of you have forgotten how bad the teens and early twenties were"...

And someone could reasonably guess the exact opposite.

And that is what we're talking about ultimately. We can make reasonable, objective analysis and use that to back up our predictions. But in the end...the supporters as well as the doomsayers...are effectively guessing. The parting of these is the doomsayers use the exact same "data" that the supporters use...and in many cases see the exact opposite things. Both sides accuse the other of brain spasms, and the board devolves into what we see today.

And that's why they play the games. I just wish posters here would not jump to absolutes until the entire season is over is all.

Reactions: nu2u
Do any of you really think that Illinois State is better than Indiana was when he was their QB?

And if you don't, do you think Iowa is that much worse?

Iowa should never lose to a lower division school, at least maybe once every 50-60 years. We should rarely lose to the clown show in Ames. Ferentz's inability to consistently defeat, much less dominate, Iowa State is a very significant deficiency. Its been a long time since Ferentz had a really good season. Losing to either Iowa State, which I expect on the road, or Ill St will cause another massive hit to attendance.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Iowa should never lose to a lower division school, at least maybe once every 50-60 years. We should rarely lose to the clown show in Ames. Ferentz's inability to consistently defeat, much less dominate, Iowa State is a very significant deficiency. Its been a long time since Ferentz had a really good season. Losing to either Iowa State, which I expect on the road, or Ill St will cause another massive hit to attendance.

If Iowa instead beats both Illinois State and Iowa State what then will that prove to you?

Um...it was a response to this:

So it is certainly relevant to bring up the 70's. It would have definitely been a viable concern in the 70's. BTW - anyone know who "Kurt" is?

I agree with the deficiency, iris troubling, but 5 years ago was a really good season. Although in this ADD culture maybe that is a long time.

Why are you guys tormenting yourselves with this very unlikely possibility? Iowa has never lost to an FCS team.

I realize this, but FCS programs have improved a TON since the old days of 66-0 over UNI. Ill state has a Big Ten caliber QB who is mobile and can cause havoc on a defense. Im not saying that Iowa will lose, but this game will be very close.

A lot of questions marks on this Iowa team and Ill state is coming off of a FCS runner-up season. They are a solid team and I am sure loaded up with FBS transfers as well. So who knows.

Ill say it will be a 10-14pt win for the hawks. But it will not be a blowout.

I realize this, but FCS programs have improved a TON since the old days of 66-0 over UNI. Ill state has a Big Ten caliber QB who is mobile and can cause havoc on a defense. Im not saying that Iowa will lose, but this game will be very close.

A lot of questions marks on this Iowa team and Ill state is coming off of a FCS runner-up season. They are a solid team and I am sure loaded up with FBS transfers as well. So who knows.

Ill say it will be a 10-14pt win for the hawks. But it will not be a blowout.

Very well. But a 10-14 point Iowa win is still not the same as a loss....which is what many are predicting and a few even longing for.

Very well. But a 10-14 point Iowa win is still not the same as a loss....which is what many are predicting and a few even longing for.

Who is longing for a loss? I'm hoping we either go 5-7 or 9-3, sick of this 7-6 crap. Kirk needs to piss or get off the pot.

OK, someone has to do it so I'll step up.

Who is Kurt?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT