ADVERTISEMENT

If it’s a foul in the first minute, 35th minute or last minute, it’s still a foul.

Think about the logic of the Iowa haters. No one can disagree it was a foul. The outrage is not that it was a foul, but that it shouldn't have been called. Imagine the absurdity of being that outraged that a clear foul which took the primary defender out of the play, just shouldn't have been called. Being outraged that a foul that was a foul and had a major effect on the play, just shouldn't have been called.

I'm pretty sure espn and van pelt would have said that if the game was tied and Paige had gone up for a layup and an Iowa player would have taken her out while the ball was in her hands, and Iowa was called for the foul, that that shouldn't have been called at that point in the game. The old let the players decide. lol

We are all hypocrites when our team gets the call against it.
Please speak for yourself and allow the rest of us to do the same. Anyone would hate to lose that way . . . except for two things:

(1) UConn wasn't assured of getting a shot off, let alone making it
(2) As the video evidence makes clear, it was an egregious moving screen, so you would have only yourself to blame

Reactions: SB_SB and MplsHawk
I'm pretty sure espn and van pelt would have said that if the game was tied and Paige had gone up for a layup and an Iowa player would have taken her out while the ball was in her hands, and Iowa was called for the foul, that that shouldn't have been called at that point in the game. The old let the players decide. lol
The players did decide the game. A UConn player committed an egregious foul, and that was the game. Simple as that.

Check out the position of Edward's legs. She was moving, legs were far too wide to set a legal screen and also leaned into Gabby with her shoulder. Illegal screen all day long. Two seconds into the game or 5 seconds left.
This is why ESPN is only showing that one replay, basically from the waist up, and from an angle that minimizes how much Edwards is moving. Every other angle shows how obvious it is that it’s a foul.
ESPN is for watching actual games. That’s it. They are useless for everything else.

Reactions: sober_teacher
This is why ESPN is only showing that one replay, basically from the waist up, and from an angle that minimizes how much Edwards is moving. Every other angle shows how obvious it is that it’s a foul.
ESPN is for watching actual games. That’s it. They are useless for everything else.
What’s especially a shame here is that espn has done a decent job when covering women’s basketball for the most part.

I do think several of their on air talent are having difficulty leaving their UConn allegiances at the door with so many of them having played for Geno.

Please speak for yourself and allow the rest of us to do the same. Anyone would hate to lose that way . . . except for two things:

(1) UConn wasn't assured of getting a shot off, let alone making it
(2) As the video evidence makes clear, it was an egregious moving screen, so you would have only yourself to blame
I think you misread my comment. The call was correct and I'm happy about it. Of course, I recognize fans will always be more upset with bad/missed calls that go against their team than favor their team. Therefore, the possibility that Iowa fans may have argued the call if the roles were reversed doesn't mean the call was wrong. The call was right no matter how hypocritical some hypothetical Iowa fan would be.

To me, CC22 extended arm pushoff before making the 10 footer was far more of an obvious foul
I'll raise you the obvious near-tackle foul Aliyah Edwards committed on Gabbie at approx 1:19 min left in the game. Lots of stuff missed. Fortunately for Iowa they made the obviously correct call at the end on the moving screen.

This is comical. I see a couple fans arguing Gabbie should have received T for taunting for celebrating the call to the crowd because she was too close to the UCONN bench.

To all the UConn fans and ESPN talking heads that are saying the refs should swallow the whistle, imagine this:
Same situation, but instead of the larger player setting an illegal screen, it’s the smaller player setting a legal screen, and the larger player plows her over and then fouls the shooter in the act. Now two fouls have been committed by one player in the final few seconds, both of which denied the offense from getting a clean shot to win. Are we swallowing the whistle in that situation?
Point being this; by not calling the obvious foul, the refs are still deciding the game. Edwards made the decision to set the screen, even though she was out of position and couldn’t get there before Gabbie.

Okay, I’ll agree that’s the way it should go but it’s rarely the reality. I’ll just say I’m always on the side of letting the players decide the game. Not at all apples to apples but I felt the same way about the CDJ punt return. Premise is the same, let the players determine the game.
So, if a player tackles another player to end the game it is okay because you let the players decide the game.

Okay, I’ll agree that’s the way it should go but it’s rarely the reality. I’ll just say I’m always on the side of letting the players decide the game. Not at all apples to apples but I felt the same way about the CDJ punt return. Premise is the same, let the players determine the game.
You're ok with throwing out the rule book and just letting players foul because it's at the end of the game?

I can understand being picky about what fouls are called but this moving pick was over the top a foul. At no point was she ever not moving and her legs were spread apart as far as she could get. It was clearly a case where she went to set the pick and then realized she was out of position (probably because of the way Page allowed too much spaces) so she had to reposition herself and it was too late.

I'm all for allowing players to determine the game but if those players aren't playing by the rules, then it has to be called. In Football if a DB is all over a WR, they will call it even at the end of the game. Can you imagine auto racing if during the last lap the drivers could do what they wanted. Actually that would be fun.

Absolutely no way they can justify a foul on Gabby fighting through a screen that is that blatantly moving--body, legs and elbow. That is what they were saying.
I think in saying "go either way" he meant called a foul or not a foul, rather than a defensive foul on Gabby.

You're ok with throwing out the rule book and just letting players foul because it's at the end of the game?
I wouldn't go that far at all. I did ref high school (miniscule amount of small college ball) for 15 years and had many athletic directors remind my partner and I that our whistles interrupted the game so only do wo when absolutely necessary to keep the players safe and the game fair. I think their goal was likely not to have to be there too late if we shot a crapload of free throws.

So, if a player tackles another player to end the game it is okay because you let the players decide the game.
But only if it's inside the 2 minute mark of the end of the game that is close in score. If it's a blowout, hell just take the refs out of the game period.

Bluder just said in the press conference that Gabbie has been receiving hate because of the foul call.

Edwards must not have thought she got enough of Gabby, so she finished her with the extended knee.

I think in saying "go either way" he meant called a foul or not a foul, rather than a defensive foul on Gabby.

In the context he said it, that is not my impression. The "it was a tough call" covers the foul or no foul angle. The "especially because it could have gone either way" sounded like he thought the call could have gone against the offense or defense. I'm not in his head, so I guess I can't be sure what he meant.

A 34-4 team has been called for fewer fouls into 32 of 38 games. This is more evidence that everything is rigged for our benefit. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I don't know why this cracks me up. This guy wants to know why if a moving screen is a moving screen, none were called against Iowa. He then proceeds to self-own by sharing a video showing multiple instances of drastically better screen technique by Iowa.

The foul on CC when she didn’t touch the offensive player in the first minute should definitely not be called in last minute.
But clear and blatant fouls must be called or you get basketbrawl like WV game where they swallowed whistle so early it was full of cr@p.

I don't know why this cracks me up. This guy wants to know why if a moving screen is a moving screen, none were called against Iowa. He then proceeds to self-own by sharing a video showing multiple instances of drastically better screen technique by Iowa.

Yep, if you give posters like that enough time, they'll surely step in their own s--t.

Reactions: MplsHawk

The players did decide the game. Paige Bueckers ran 3 feet wide of her screener and forced the screener to set an illegal moving screen that got appropriately called a foul.

Paige and Aaliyah blew the play, blame them, not the official who got it right.

They had their opportunity to set a legal screen, they blew it, and they lost. Admit it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT