ADVERTISEMENT

INFLATION: Who Do You Blame?

Check all you think are most to blame

• Total voters
I’ve seen a few blame Covid, do we all believe Covid was just something that happened on its own or was it possible one of the options listed was behind Covid?
I never believed Covid was as bad as what the media and politicians wanted you to believe while it was going on and continue to believe that today.
Therefor I don’t believe Covid just happened, someone or something was behind it in some sort of way so they could profit off the shortage of supplies or high prices of everything as a result of people staying home and sheltering.
It really blows my mind how people can think COVID was not "as bad" as the media or politicians wanted you to believe. It was a BFD domestically and globally. We lost almost 100K people in Florida alone. I mean, no it was not the end of the world like The Stand, but it killed a lot of people and made a lot of people sick, unproductive.

Since most of the world has experienced inflation (most much worse than the US) I'd would guess it's because of COVID.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Many of the choices overlap, so pick all you want to get the mix you think best reflects the major actors in our current inflation problems.

Feel free to mention other specific bad actors or bad policies in your comments.
Already responded what I think it is, but looking at the votes, this board is full of partisan idiots on both sides. That’s right, I said BOTH SIDES.

Corporate profiteering as that’s already well established but a few additional factors as well:

Russian invasion of Ukraine
OPEC limiting oil production
World economy is still slowly emerging from the pandemic and its effects.

Things will get better assuming we are steadfast and firm and hold our ground on Russia’s criminal actions. If there’s one thing that economic stability cannot tolerate is the uncertainties that wars create. If Russia prevails we’ll pay dearly for it for many, many years.

It started when everything was shut down for far too long. Then (IMO) Trump started handing out money in stimulus checks to buy a few votes. Then when Biden got in office, he spent the first month signing executive order after executive order undoing everything, including shutting off future development of future crude oil refineries (which the companies had taken out huge loans for), which caused anything make with crude oil chemicals (which the list is huge) to skyrocket in pricing. Lastly the Green New Deal threw gas on the whole mess.

• Corporate profiteering
Corporations in the United States made profits totaling 3.3 trillion U.S. dollars in the third quarter of 2023.

So repubs, either Biden is a Big Corporate dem or the policies of the Tump admin opened the doors for corps to **** consumers in the ass.
In Q4 2019 corporate profits were 2.5 trillion.

4 years later the Fed's balance sheet is 100% bigger and corporate profits are... 25% larger in nominal terms.

'Good news' is that the Fed has been trying to run down that balance sheet, so we won't see corporate profits double in nominal terms in the next few years.

Reactions: hwk23
I blame economics. When demand exceed supply you get inflation.

The Fed raises interest rates to "cool" the demand side, but it seems to me that is also cools the supply side. It's more difficult to expand the supply side with high interest rates.

Covid started this mess. Demand for goods recovered more quickly that the supply - the global supply chain was overwhelmed. I don't know if that has been corrected or if it's still overwhelmed.

There's not a lot the government can do, no matter who is in charge.
Is this Econ 101, or Econ 102? Asking for OP and his mom who got a taste of my inflation.

It started when everything was shut down for far too long. Then (IMO) Trump started handing out money in stimulus checks to buy a few votes. Then when Biden got in office, he spent the first month signing executive order after executive order undoing everything, including shutting off future development of future crude oil refineries (which the companies had taken out huge loans for), which caused anything make with crude oil chemicals (which the list is huge) to skyrocket in pricing. Lastly the Green New Deal threw gas on the whole mess.
You are correct.
Remember Biden came out and said he was going after big oil. He said he was going to make things miserable for them. Well the users of crude had not priced their usage out for the next year or so. They anticipated a stable to lower crude prices for the next year.

Biden blew this up. The users had to go out and get some costs covered in a damn hurry.
The only problem was the producers of crude knew it also and there was nobody to buy from. So up go prices.

Biden is not a businessman in any sort.

Edit: Somebody in his administration should have stopped Biden from giving that speech.

Why don’t you hear about it. This banned SNL short explains why

Last edited:
In Q4 2019 corporate profits were 2.5 trillion.

4 years later the Fed's balance sheet is 100% bigger and corporate profits are... 25% larger in nominal terms.

'Good news' is that the Fed has been trying to run down that balance sheet, so we won't see corporate profits double in nominal terms in the next few years.

Why do you bother? These numpties have received their marching orders and are sticking to them. There is no explaining it.

It really blows my mind how people can think COVID was not "as bad" as the media or politicians wanted you to believe. It was a BFD domestically and globally. We lost almost 100K people in Florida alone. I mean, no it was not the end of the world like The Stand, but it killed a lot of people and made a lot of people sick, unproductive.
I personally believe those numbers are a bit skewed but that’s my opinion and I may be wrong.
What do you believe about the other part of my question about Covid. Do you think someone or something was behind Covid or was it just something that came up out of nowhere.

8mjuds.jpg

Honestly this is a situation where I don't really blame anybody and I mean that seriously. We gave out tons of money during COVID. There was bipartisan support for it and there was always going to be reckoning for that choice. The US is doing better than the rest of the world dealing with it which is kind of all you can ask.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT