ADVERTISEMENT

Interview with Carter Happel

Good stuff! Carter is a good kid and an exceptional wrestler. Hope he ends up at Iowa in the black and gold!

Great kid who just keeps getting better. If Carter does not end up at Iowa then I hope he wrestles for coach Schwab at UNI. Do Not want to see him wrestle for Minny or Penn St.

We definitely need a 141lber NOW and I can't think of anyone better! Hope he joins the black and gold.

Great kid who just keeps getting better. If Carter does not end up at Iowa then I hope he wrestles for coach Schwab at UNI. Do Not want to see him wrestle for Minny or Penn St.
If $$$ isn't a major factor, I really think it's an Iowa/UNI battle here.

It would be a nice boost for Hawks to land the top instate talent along with what's already coming. Recent success by ex Hawks in freestyle can't hurt either. As I'm positive he has higher long term aspirations then NCAAs.

Maybe I'm reading into it, but I can't help but think there is an Iowa lean with Happel. The first school he listed was Iowa and he mentions Joey Slaton as a mentor. Also three of the four wrestlers he like to watch are Hawks (Tom and Terry and Ramos). If he comes to Iowa, it would be great competition between him and Turk for the 141 spot. The loser would only have to sit behind Sorensen for one year, before taking over the 149 spot. Happel's exciting and I would love to see him wrestle for the Hawkeyes.

As weak as the top-tier level talent has been for the last few years in the State, he is a must get, imo. It also becomes a "perception" thing where we need to keep the foot on the throat of ISU, and limit the success of Schwab following the Thomsen signing.

Carter's father Dean was a blue chipper of sorts that took a scholly at Edinboro back in the 80's, but came back home to Iowa after a couple years. I have no inside info, but my gut tells me Carter takes the best deal within a half day drive of Lisbon. Family and small town matter here. I will be surprised if he leaves the Midwest.

As weak as the top-tier level talent has been for the last few years in the State, he is a must get, imo. It also becomes a "perception" thing where we need to keep the foot on the throat of ISU, and limit the success of Schwab following the Thomsen signing.

I respectfully disagree. First of all, let me say that I have nothing against Happel at all and my comments are not specific to him, although he is the example at hand. For all I know, he may well be the best option at that weight range and if so, then I hope he comes to Iowa. However, my opinion is that Brands needs to recruit the very best recruits he can...wherever they may have grown up or gone to HS.

Sometimes I think we can be a little too biased in favor of the local prospect and then 5 years later people are griping up a storm when he doesn't "pan out" or become a 4x AA or 2x or 3x champ, etc. If it is a "jump ball" between one recruit v. another, then by all means, give the preference to the local kid. But I think we suffer from a delusion that we are going to bring kids into the Iowa room and then coach them up to the very highest level of success in D1 wrestling. While we can reach back into the past and identify some successful examples of this...I don't see where we should expect to win national team titles going forward with this approach.

All I am saying is that the "must get's" need to be the best wrestler we can get, regardless of his home town, family ties, etc. If that is Happel, beautiful, if it isn't, then I wish him the very best wherever he might end up.

I respectfully disagree. First of all, let me say that I have nothing against Happel at all and my comments are not specific to him, although he is the example at hand. For all I know, he may well be the best option at that weight range and if so, then I hope he comes to Iowa. However, my opinion is that Brands needs to recruit the very best recruits he can...wherever they may have grown up or gone to HS.

Sometimes I think we can be a little too biased in favor of the local prospect and then 5 years later people are griping up a storm when he doesn't "pan out" or become a 4x AA or 2x or 3x champ, etc. If it is a "jump ball" between one recruit v. another, then by all means, give the preference to the local kid. But I think we suffer from a delusion that we are going to bring kids into the Iowa room and then coach them up to the very highest level of success in D1 wrestling. While we can reach back into the past and identify some successful examples of this...I don't see where we should expect to win national team titles going forward with this approach.

All I am saying is that the "must get's" need to be the best wrestler we can get, regardless of his home town, family ties, etc. If that is Happel, beautiful, if it isn't, then I wish him the very best wherever he might end up.

Well said.. But I really want happel. If I had to chose to give money to Lee/hall/top talent or Happel. I would chose the top talent. I know happel is good but I don't know how good. Thoughts?? Am I far off?

Happel has had some very good national success which is a good sign. With the recent thinning of the weight range he projects I feel he is a pretty good guy to get. He has had a bit of trouble on bottom in a couple of his national matches so work to do there maybe but overall a very talented wrestler. He reminds me a bit of DSJ but smaller. He is #29 overall in his class as of now and should be top 5 for his weight next year. He could work up to being a top 20 overall recruit. He does not seem like a plodder with limited offense or a guy who uses moves that don't translate to college so that is good. I don't get the same vibe I did with Iowa kids that did not pan out so well. All those guys were kind of short but yet not real quick and they relied on power a lot in HS which is tough to continue with in college, they also lacked offensive variety. This kid has shown he can score from a number of attacks and is pretty tough on top as well. On any recruit we bring in if the question is can this kid find ways to score vs tough competition then I want the answer to be YES.

I also want Happel, I've seen him wrestle only twice and I have seen Turk 5 or 6 times.i think Turk is better from what I saw.If Happel comes in and takes the spot I say hip hip hoo ray

Happel has had some very good national success which is a good sign. With the recent thinning of the weight range he projects I feel he is a pretty good guy to get. He has had a bit of trouble on bottom in a couple of his national matches so work to do there maybe but overall a very talented wrestler. He reminds me a bit of DSJ but smaller. He is #29 overall in his class as of now and should be top 5 for his weight next year. He could work up to being a top 20 overall recruit. He does not seem like a plodder with limited offense or a guy who uses moves that don't translate to college so that is good. I don't get the same vibe I did with Iowa kids that did not pan out so well. All those guys were kind of short but yet not real quick and they relied on power a lot in HS which is tough to continue with in college, they also lacked offensive variety. This kid has shown he can score from a number of attacks and is pretty tough on top as well. On any recruit we bring in if the question is can this kid find ways to score vs tough competition then I want the answer to be YES.

Happel set a single season record for takedowns at Lisbon. A school with something like three four-time state champions (Light, S. Morningstar, Alger), and four three-time state champions (Light, R. Morningstar, D. Happel, and C. Happel, I feel like there is one more too..). A fact I think is worth noting.

Reactions: Jaybird319
If you go by rankings (IM)- Happel is the #1 138 JR and #2 overall non-SR. Also, the Lee is the top non-SR at 132, and Happel has already defeated him. So he's probably going to be ranked #1 or #2 after these SRs graduate.

How "big" is Happel anyway - anyone know, was he just wrestling 138 for the team, or could he make 132.. and be a possible 133 in college??

Happel set a single season record for takedowns at Lisbon. A school with something like three four-time state champions (Light, S. Morningstar, Alger), and four three-time state champions (Light, R. Morningstar, D. Happel, and C. Happel, I feel like there is one more too..). A fact I think is worth noting.

Not going to say the next 3 or 4 time AA. But Happel will b a top 5 talent next season. Especially, if he replicates his success from last summer. Anytime you have instate talent that is a top 20 they automatically become a "must get" period.

There's a plenty of number 1 ranked kids out of HS that never make a podium in March, let alone a NC.

Internet has made recruiting easier and harder at same time. Most coaches are aware of who is a top talent these days. If not take a 15-30 min and use google/YouTube. Hence more colleges recruiting your "local kid".

Nice food for thought on TD record.

If you go by rankings (IM)- Happel is the #1 138 JR and #2 overall non-SR. Also, the Lee is the top non-SR at 132, and Happel has already defeated him. So he's probably going to be ranked #1 or #2 after these SRs graduate.

How "big" is Happel anyway - anyone know, was he just wrestling 138 for the team, or could he make 132.. and be a possible 133 in college??

He wrestled 132 for a good part of the season, but then the cut got to be too much so he went to 138 and took his two pound allowance. I gotta think 133 is definitley out of the question.

He wrestled 132 for a good part of the season, but then the cut got to be too much so he went to 138 and took his two pound allowance. I gotta think 133 is definitley out of the question.

This is incorrect. Happel started the season at 138, but was going to finish the year at 32. He decided not to cut weight since he felt great at 38, and was dominating everyone. I think the Iowa room is the place for him since he has international aspirations. Roll with Metcalf, Mcdonough, and Ramos and you will reach your potential.

Doesn't Carter have some younger brothers coming up? Does anybody know how many? how old? how they project?

An important get in my humble opinion!!

Iowa supposedly had the top ranked recruiting class the year that Jeva/Evans/BT and Co. arrived. Yet, as we are reminded regularly by MTog and Amaloon, none of that class ever won an individual or team championship. In regards to young Mr. Happel... if he has the skills and drive that seem evident to me, he is a MUST get. I want that local top 25 kid regardless of what weight he wrestled in high school. And I'm talking National top 25 here, which I think he will be by next fall.

Iowa supposedly had the top ranked recruiting class the year that Jeva/Evans/BT and Co. arrived. Yet, as we are reminded regularly by MTog and Amaloon, none of that class ever won an individual or team championship. In regards to young Mr. Happel... if he has the skills and drive that seem evident to me, he is a MUST get. I want that local top 25 kid regardless of what weight he wrestled in high school. And I'm talking National top 25 here, which I think he will be by next fall.
MitchL, I'm starting to dislike you! I have never posted on that class, what they have done or didn't do on any board. Also grouping me with Amalone is almost fighting words in my book. I even went on the PSU board and defended Iowa when Amalone was running his mouth like he usually does. Rookie get your facts correct when you use my name

I suppose some of this may be dependent upon where Iowa plans on Kemerer landing weight wise. If Sorensen doesn't move up at any time (I presume he'll go to 157 at some point), that leaves Kemerer and Turk fighting it out at 141 I presume. Depth is a great thing, but it does come at a price. I have little doubt Iowa and most or all of it's fans would love to have Carter Happel, but it all has to fit into 9.9 scholarships at the end of the day.

I don't think you can let in-state kids like this get away if they want to come. He's proven on the national level as well. What's not to like? Just because some of Iowa's "best" haven't panned out lately as well as we would have liked, doesn't mean Carter Happel is the next one. Gilman, Clark and Sorensen are our best wrestlers at the moment, and they're Iowans. Find a way to make it happen.

Not a big thing but Alger was a 3 time champ for Lisbon.

Yup, I was trying to go from memory and I messed up my line of thinking. Right now Lisbon has 2 4xers (S. Moriningstar and Light) and six 3xers (Alger, Happel (x2), R. Morningstar, Light, and Lord)

He llooks like a 141/149 to me.
I suppose some of this may be dependent upon where Iowa plans on Kemerer landing weight wise. If Sorensen doesn't move up at any time (I presume he'll go to 157 at some point), that leaves Kemerer and Turk fighting it out at 141 I presume. Depth is a great thing, but it does come at a price. I have little doubt Iowa and most or all of it's fans would love to have Carter Happel, but it all has to fit into 9.9 scholarships at the end of the day.

I don't think you can let in-state kids like this get away if they want to come. He's proven on the national level as well. What's not to like? Just because some of Iowa's "best" haven't panned out lately as well as we would have liked, doesn't mean Carter Happel is the next one. Gilman, Clark and Sorensen are our best wrestlers at the moment, and they're Iowans. Find a way to make it happen.

I am not so sure about Sorensen going 157. I think the only way he moves up is if the cut is too hard. I see him being a smaller 157 no matter what if he did move up. His size and strength at 149 are a big part of his game there.

Turk wrestled (and is ranked) at 145, but wrestlestats and board discussion have him at 141. Is that wishful thinking because we need a 141-pounder, or is there more concrete indication that he'll be a 41-pounder in college?

I believe Turk was wrestling 138, then moved up to make room for another kid to go 138 to make the team better.

Turk wrestled (and is ranked) at 145, but wrestlestats and board discussion have him at 141. Is that wishful thinking because we need a 141-pounder, or is there more concrete indication that he'll be a 41-pounder in college?
I'm just going by where I found the committment info, I believe I found his on intermat.

I think it was PapaBear (who obviously has decent insight into Illinois High School wrestling) posted that Turk moved up to 145 to make room for Dylan Duncan. Turk looks like a 141 as does Happel. I don't see either one of them as an option at 133. Also everything that I've read indicates that Brandon is a career 149. He looks perfect for the weight. He looks strong, quick and not at all sucked up. Kemmerer's frame looks like he could hold 157 well. I like Turk/Happel at 141. Then Brandon at 149 and Kemmerer 157. Solid.

Reactions: andegre
I think it was PapaBear (who obviously has decent insight into Illinois High School wrestling) posted that Turk moved up to 145 to make room for Dylan Duncan. Turk looks like a 141 as does Happel. I don't see either one of them as an option at 133. Also everything that I've read indicates that Brandon is a career 149. He looks perfect for the weight. He looks strong, quick and not at all sucked up. Kemmerer's frame looks like he could hold 157 well. I like Turk/Happel at 141. Then Brandon at 149 and Kemmerer 157. Solid.

can you see 15,000 hawk fans ,probably 2 0r 3 hundred from your home town cheering your every move as you compete for the team you grew up cheering for. I am jealous.if you can be a national champion wrestling for iowa you become a hero for life. ask Royce alger if you don't believe me.

Reactions: HawkTalk3
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT