ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball 2015 Thoughts

Mar 14, 2003
Where to begin? Well let me say as someone who has closely followed Iowa Baseball for quite a while now, this season was a breath of fresh air. I never would've guess we'd be a 41-18 team and 2-2 in regionals. I am the guy who hopes for 30 wins or a few more and a B1G tournament birth. I am really proud as a fan the way this team battled each and every game, they never gave up or gave in. This was a fun season that I wanted to last just a little bit longer, but all good things must come to an end. It sucks we couldn't seem to get the big hit against Missouri State, but it is what it is. I am hopeful the guys coming back next year can feed off of this momentum and at the same time remember the losing seasons and stay humble. This 2015 team was REALLY close to being a CWS quality team, closer than many of us realize.

We lose Nick Day, Jake Mangler, Eric Toole, Kris Goodman, Dan Potempa, Sean Moore, Nick Hibbing, Andrew Hedrick, Dan Potempa, and Brandon Shulista. Losing these guys is huge, going to have to replace some play makers especially defensively.

We also have juniors that we could lose to the draft in Blake Hickman, Tyler Peyton, and Joel Booker.

However, with as much as we lose I really believe we have a strong nucleus coming back in 2016 if you look at Calvin Mathews, Ryan Erickson, Taylor Kaufman (RS Jr, does he plan to come back), Nick Roscetti, Luke Vandermaten, Jimmy Frankos, Daniel Aaron Moriel, Erick Schenck-Joblinske, and others.

I personally think that Hickman is gone. Tyler Peyton potentially, if he comes back then that would be huge as well as Joel Booker. Offensively Booker struggled, defensively he is a good as it gets IMO.

I am excited to see guys like Grant Klenovich, Austin Guzzo, Nick Gallagher, and others who played sparingly, redshirted, or are newcomers contribute next year. I really believe the future is bright with Heller and our current rosters/incoming kids. It will be interesting to see what Juniors are back next season.

Go Hawks!

I also go back to this moment when Heller was hired and his talk about Iowa and being hired and it was one of those moments where you thought there is something different about Coach Heller and the way he sees Iowa, compared to a lot of our athletic hires.

Reactions: spiderland
do you think the coaching staff will be back. or will one of them look for a bigger job. never know in sports.

Where to begin? Well let me say as someone who has closely followed Iowa Baseball for quite a while now, this season was a breath of fresh air. I never would've guess we'd be a 41-18 team and 2-2 in regionals. I am the guy who hopes for 30 wins or a few more and a B1G tournament birth. I am really proud as a fan the way this team battled each and every game, they never gave up or gave in. This was a fun season that I wanted to last just a little bit longer, but all good things must come to an end. It sucks we couldn't seem to get the big hit against Missouri State, but it is what it is. I am hopeful the guys coming back next year can feed off of this momentum and at the same time remember the losing seasons and stay humble. This 2015 team was REALLY close to being a CWS quality team, closer than many of us realize.

We lose Nick Day, Jake Mangler, Eric Toole, Kris Goodman, Dan Potempa, Sean Moore, Nick Hibbing, Andrew Hedrick, Dan Potempa, and Brandon Shulista. Losing these guys is huge, going to have to replace some play makers especially defensively.

We also have juniors that we could lose to the draft in Blake Hickman, Tyler Peyton, and Joel Booker.

However, with as much as we lose I really believe we have a strong nucleus coming back in 2016 if you look at Calvin Mathews, Ryan Erickson, Taylor Kaufman (RS Jr, does he plan to come back), Nick Roscetti, Luke Vandermaten, Jimmy Frankos, Daniel Aaron Moriel, Erick Schenck-Joblinske, and others.

I personally think that Hickman is gone. Tyler Peyton potentially, if he comes back then that would be huge as well as Joel Booker. Offensively Booker struggled, defensively he is a good as it gets IMO.

I am excited to see guys like Grant Klenovich, Austin Guzzo, Nick Gallagher, and others who played sparingly, redshirted, or are newcomers contribute next year. I really believe the future is bright with Heller and our current rosters/incoming kids. It will be interesting to see what Juniors are back next season.

Go Hawks!
Ol' Doodle agrees with almost everything you said......although losing Dan Potempa twice is really gonna be tough to overcome.
:)

I also go back to this moment when Heller was hired and his talk about Iowa and being hired and it was one of those moments where you thought there is something different about Coach Heller and the way he sees Iowa, compared to a lot of our athletic hires.

Thanks for sharing this. The program's in great hands. Maybe they will make it here to Omaha one of these years.

I will also add that what I like about Heller is we've improved every single year (granted only two years). I do think we'll take a step back next year W/L wise, but I think we will see a group of guys, some we know and some we do not, continue to go out and battle.

The biggest thing with Jack Dahm it seemed was that for every step we took forward, we then took two or three back. I am talking a 31-23 year followed by winning 16-20 games for two-three years, etc...

how long will jeff clement stick around the program. I whould think he whould want to be a paid assistant.

This was a very exciting team to follow this year. I can honesty say, that the last two years were the most that we had paid attention to Iowa baseball in a long time. The previous regime kind of forced us to ignore the program. I like what Heller is doing with this program. It all starts with recruiting and it seems that he has closed the Iowa borders, keeping the best players in Iowa.....in the State. We know a kid that has already signed to be a part of the team in the fall. Excited to see how he will add to the program.

Go Hawks!

Hickman: probably.
Peyton: maybe (he'd be better served by playing another year)
Booker: not a chance.

do you think the coaching staff will be back. or will one of them look for a bigger job. never know in sports.

Yes, they will be back.

No, there hasn't been any discussion about them going to a (supposedly) "bigger" program. Iowa has been Heller's dream job for most of his career.

Reactions: Cougar63
Don't look for Coach Clement to return next season. He came to Iowa to finish his degree (courtesy of the Mariners and something more players should take advantage of) and get a some college coaching experience in the process. He has other options both in and out of baseball that will bring in a paycheck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT