ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball @ Purdue

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa defeats Purdue 9-1 in game one from West Lafayette.

Tyler Peyton threw eight innings allowing one run, seven hits, and had seven K's. He also had two walks. He was also 3-5 hitting on the day.
Jared Mandel threw one inning and had two K's.

Roscetti was 3-4 with 3 RBIs
Day was 3-4 with 2 RBIs
Goodman was 2-4 with an RBI
Eric Toole was 2-5 with 2 RBIs

Iowa faces Purdue again on Saturday @ 1pm

Iowa defeats Purdue 10-5 today to claim the series. They go for the sweep on Sunday. They really need a sweep if all possible because we go to Maryland next weekend and they might be the best team in the B1G. Currently, Iowa is in sole possession of 1st place in the B1G. Today was a big win as it didn't feel/seem like Iowa played their best baseball.

Blake Hickman went seven innings for Iowa allowing five hits and four runs. He also had four strikeouts and two walks. He gets credited with the W according to the scoring I've seen.

Luke Vandermaten went two innings allowing three hits and one run, his first earned run of the season.

Iowa was down the majority of the game until they scored eight runs in the 8th innings to jump out in front 10-4. It was a 4-2 ball game until that point. Five of the runs in the 8th were with 2 outs, so that is huge to be able to do that.

Eric Toole was 2-4
Jake Mangler was 2-5 with 3 RBIs
Joel Booker was 2-5 with 1 RBI
Nick Roscetti was 1-4 with 2 RBIs
Tyler Peyton was 1-5 with 2 RBIs

Dan Potempa, Nick Day, and Kris Goodman each had a hit as well.

Iowa is 20-7 and 5-0 in the B1G, they go for the sweep on Sunday! Lets get it done Hawkeyes!

Iowa sweeps Purdue by winning 4-1 today in West Lafayette.

Calvin Mathews gets the W as he went six innings and allowed five hits and one run. He had five K's and one walk.
Connor Grant threw 1 1/3 innings giving up two walks and had two strikeouts.
Nick Hibbing threw 1 2/3 innings and got credited for the save. He gave up one hit and had one K.

Eric Toole was 2-4 with an RBI
Tyler Peyton was 2-4 with 2 RBIs
Nick Roscetti was 2-3 with an RBI
Daniel Moriel was 2-4
Austin Guzzo was 1-4

Iowa is 21-7 overall and 6-0 in the B1G. They have UW-Milwaukee on Wednesday in a midweek game before traveling to face Maryland next week. Maryland will be extremely tough, they just swept Nebraska. I think Maryland could be the best team in the B1G when they are hitting and pitching like they are capable of. It would be a major statement to win that road series, I am hopeful Iowa can avoid being swept.

First 6-0 B1G start in school history.

Next weekend will show what we're made of though.

Will be interesting to watch the Maryland v. Iowa series. Iowa is the hottest team in the league, and Maryland was preseason No. 1 pick

Originally posted by ichawk24:
BAU.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
This guy gets it.
smokin.r191677.gif

Btw, I take it Maryland came back to beat Nebraska in one of those games (today's maybe?...)

I just thought I saw them down 5-0 at one point, but seeing as how they swept the Huskers that meant they came all the way back and won. Now to avoid being captain obvious, my point is there seems to be a lot of games with teams blowing big leads in the later innings of games this year. Is this more common than I think, or is this just a random mix of coincidence and poor execution down the stretch by the teams blowing these 5 or greater-run leads???.............

I suppose 5-0 in the 4th or 5th inning is nothing if you don't have the pitching to sustain that lead.......

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyInTheCloset:
Btw, I take it Maryland came back to beat Nebraska in one of those games (today's maybe?...)

I just thought I saw them down 5-0 at one point, but seeing as how they swept the Huskers that meant they came all the way back and won. Now to avoid being captain obvious, my point is there seems to be a lot of games with teams blowing big leads in the later innings of games this year. Is this more common than I think, or is this just a random mix of coincidence and poor execution down the stretch by the teams blowing these 5 or greater-run leads???.............

I suppose 5-0 in the 4th or 5th inning is nothing if you don't have the pitching to sustain that lead.......
Nebraska was up 5-0 in game #3 and blew it. Actually committed a throwing error in the 9th to allow Maryland to score the winning run (6-5). Maryland blew up the Huskers in first two games, which was disappointing because the pitching has been outstanding this year headed into that series.

It's a bit of the nature of college baseball. Don't have access to data/studies, but coming back from a 5 run deficit in college is much more common than MLB. Defense isn't as good (they aren't pros, yet). Bullpens are not as deep in college.
Maryland will be big challenge this weekend. Most talented team in league in terms of great arms and position players who will get drafted
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT