ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa facing Marquette in non-con game

I'd like to see us play them home and home on a long term basis. Cheap travel, close to Iowa, good program most years. Be a nice game most of the time.
This year we're a veteran team and they're a young team just off a 13-19 season. Next year we'll have the young team. It would be nice if they could come to IC then.

Reactions: IronFist1776
Our OOC schedule is going to be a challenge. The tournament field we are playing in is stacked, we play @ ISU, and Marquette in Milwaukee. Do we know who we play in the ACC challenge?

my guess in ACC/B1G matchups:

Wisky vs Virginia
Maryland vs Duke
MSU vs UNC
Purdue vs Notre Dame
Iowa vs Miami or NC St.
OSU vs Louisville

What preseason tournament are we in?

Orlando Classic @ Disney World
Alabama Crimson Tide (SEC)
Dayton Flyers (A 10)
Iowa Hawkeyes (Big Ten)
Monmouth Hawks (MAAC)
Notre Dame Fighting Irish (ACC)
USC Trojans (Pac-12)
Wichita State Shockers (MVC)
Xavier Musketeers (Big East)

Wichita has a good deal of their core coming back, and Notre Dame loses their top 2 but returns everyone else. Xavier holds on to just about everyone and is also in many of the way-too-early top 25s out there. NBC put Marquette in theirs and everyone also is projecting Miami and NC State to be even better with their core coming back and obviously we already know ISU will very likely be top 10. Don't sleep on USC either...obviously the wins haven't been there yet for Enfield but they've been very very young, and now they'll mix the experience with a truckload of young 4-star recruits. Should again be a very strong non-conference schedule

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The Big Ten and BIG EAST conferences jointly announced Wednesday the pairings for the inaugural Gavitt Games, which will tip off on eight campus sites the first weekend of the college basketball season, Nov. 17-20.

The University of Iowa is scheduled to play Marquette Thursday, Nov. 19, at the BMO Harris Bradley Center in Milwaukee. The contest will be televised nationally on Fox Sports 1. The Golden Eagles posted a 13-19 overall record and tied for ninth in league play with a 4-14 record under first-year head coach Steve Wojciechowski. Marquette returns four letterwinners, including second-leading scorer Duane Wilson (11.9 ppg), and will welcome five freshmen to its squad.

“I think this event will be special,” said UI head coach Fran McCaffery. “It’s such a great idea to generate this kind of interest in early November to start the season. Playing on the road against an improved Marquette team from a year ago will be an early test for our basketball team.”

The Hawkeyes return four starters from last year’s squad that finished 22-12 overall and tied for third place in the Big Ten with a 12-6 conference record. Iowa returns second-leading scorer and rebounder Jarrod Uthoff (12.4 ppg and 6.4 rpg) and Mike Gesell, who led the team in assists (4.0 apg). The Black and Gold will also add six newcomers to its fall roster.

This will be the first meeting between the two schools since 1982 and the 18th overall meeting.

“Our family is excited about the Big Ten and BIG EAST launching this new series, which honors the memory of Dave Gavitt and his passion for college basketball,” said Dan Gavitt, NCAA Vice President of Men’s Basketball Championships. “He would be most pleased that the student-athletes, coaches and supporters of these historic college basketball programs can look forward to annual competition at the highest level to help open the college season with a bang. We are thankful to the two great conferences for recognizing the Gavitt legacy with the intra-conference games featuring new and old rivalries and intriguing match-ups.”

The annual series will feature renewed battles between local foes and attractive intersectional matchups. Eight teams in the inaugural event advanced to the NCAA Tournament and won at least 20 games last season.

Tip times will be released at a later date. Below are the 2015 Gavitt Games match-ups.

Tuesday, Nov. 17

Georgetown at Maryland (BTN or an ESPN Network)
DePaul at Penn State (BTN or an ESPN Network)
Nebraska at Villanova (FS1)

Wednesday, Nov. 18

Illinois at Providence (FS1)

Thursday, Nov. 19

Creighton at Indiana (BTN or an ESPN Network)
Iowa at Marquette (FS1)
Rutgers at St. John’s (FS1)

Friday, Nov. 20

Xavier at Michigan (BTN or an ESPN Network)

Coach remarked at the BB Banquet that if you thought last years non con schedule was tough, wait until you see this year's. Man we will find out by mid December just what kind of team we will have. Those freshman better get it done early in practice or they are not going to get minutes.

Coach remarked at the BB Banquet that if you thought last years non con schedule was tough, wait until you see this year's. Man we will find out by mid December just what kind of team we will have. Those freshman better get it done early in practice or they are not going to get minutes.
This year we'll likely have 4 seniors, 2 juniors, and a sophomore as our top 7, at least to start the year. If there's a best season to have a tougher non-con schedule, it would be this one. We'll have a chance to beat some teams that might have more talent because we'll have more experience.

What did Nebraska do to the 'powers that be' to draw 'Nova? And if we have to play on FS1 can we request Gus Johnson calls the game?

What did Nebraska do to the 'powers that be' to draw 'Nova? And if we have to play on FS1 can we request Gus Johnson calls the game?
The likely four or five best teams, maybe even six, from the Big East but no Mich State or Ohio State from the BT. Hate to sound like a conspiracy nut but their absence plus the inclusion of Nebbie, Rutgers, Penn State, Illinois & Indiana under Creanning doomed to disappoint again seems like the intention is to make the conference matchups seem to have more parity than is probably going to exist. The games that are likely to be of mosi interest are Iowa v Marquette, Maryland v Georgetown.

The BT-ACC games look better, but that may be inherent in a series between the two strongest hoops conferences for most of the past fifty seasons (BT having more down years slightly---or maybe not)

Reactions: Ronman
The likely four or five best teams, maybe even six, from the Big East but no Mich State or Ohio State from the BT. Hate to sound like a conspiracy nut but their absence plus the inclusion of Nebbie, Rutgers, Penn State, Illinois & Indiana under Creanning doomed to disappoint again seems like the intention is to make the conference matchups seem to have more parity than is probably going to exist. The games that are likely to be of mosi interest are Iowa v Marquette, Maryland v Georgetown.

The BT-ACC games look better, but that may be inherent in a series between the two strongest hoops conferences for most of the past fifty seasons (BT having more down years slightly---or maybe not)

The Big East was by far the most overrated conference last year. Still, I like the addition to Iowa's schedule.

Talking on FB with Milwaukee BBall friend....he says Iowa cannot win inside the borders of Wisconsin. Ha, said I....yet to be seen. So now, passing along that taunt to burn the embers of Hawkeye loyalty. Nothing to pique interest like smack talk 8 months out. Of course he also played at Marquette HS as did his kids.

Also reaffirmed that he thinks Hawk fans will absolutely love Ellingson's shot. Hawks pounce on Eagles or whatever politically correct name Marquette uses these days.

The difference between playing Wisconsin at the Kohl Center and Marquette at the Bradley Center is as different as Madison and Milwaukee are compared to one another. Milwaukee, outside of immediate downtown, is pretty much a dump.

The difference between playing Wisconsin at the Kohl Center and Marquette at the Bradley Center is as different as Madison and Milwaukee are compared to one another. Milwaukee, outside of immediate downtown, is pretty much a dump.
As you might guess, I do not agree with Jeep's superficial assessment of the Milwaukee Metro area. I don't get back for as many long weekends as I would like. Do your research and enjoy.

As you might guess, I do not agree with Jeep's superficial assessment of the Milwaukee Metro area. I don't get back for as many long weekends as I would like. Do your research and enjoy.

Agreed. Milwaukee has a lot to offer, not the least of which is some of the best craft beer bars in the country. I also like the lakefront there better than Chicago (not that that will be a draw in November).

Great town for a sports weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT