ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Football: 1980s, HC from 1998 to now

cidsports

HR King
The magic of 1981, and our first year offensive line coach and a first Rose Bowl season for me as a Hawkeye fan.

Hayden Fry's hiring of Kirk Ferentz lead to a tradition of offensive linemen and excellence.

The biggest challenge for Iowa year in and year out is depth. It is a concern again in 2015.

I am excited for 2015 for C.J. Beathard as the #1 QB. Can he succeed?

Can Iowa’s 17th season season under KF bring a rebound like Hayden Fry's 17th season, after three down seasons Fry experienced?

1995 wasn't a great season, but the 8-4 season ended extremely high note with a big Sun Bowl win over Washington?

Sedrick Shaw was Iowa's RB in 1995. Iowa will like start 2015 again by committee at RB. The excitement for me is the departure of two seniors from last year and the opportunity for new leaders at RB.

Iowa needs to find a way to use the run and pass more effectively in 2015.

This will be the fourth season under OC Greg Davis. A make or break season. Brian Ferentz will get more say in the run game. Will it pay dividends? We shall see in 2015.

The fullbacks need to stay healthy, but bring experience. Again, depth is always a concern in Iowa City, Madison and like B1G programs.

The tight end position is missing one of two seniors who need to step up in leadership.

Michigan has been hit hard over multiple seasons and senior leadership has not been up to standards in Ann Arbor. Iowa has a large senior class in 2015. How will they play out their final season, Iowa and Michigan are similar in the importance of senior leadership.

Hayden Fry mirrored Michigan more than Ohio State. Programs, like Northwestern and others, took from Iowa, after Fry and Iowa took down the B1G 2 in 1981. Fry had three more outstanding years in 1985, and 1990-1991.

Kirk Ferentz has had four outstanding seasons too. 2002-2004 and 2009. The 2008 season was much like the 1995 season Fry enjoyed.

The play of the Iowa offensive and defensive lines are critical of success for either Fry or Ferentz. Ferentz was a key coach in the 1980s under Fry. He had a great crew.

Ferentz revamped his staff over the past four years. The recruiting staff has now been put in place. The 2015 and 2016 seasons are critical for Kirk Ferentz.

Wisconsin stole Iowa's mojo in 2010 at Kinnick. Iowa pulled out a nice win at Michigan State in 2012. Beat a Michigan team in 2011 that went to a BCS bowl. Beat Nebraska in Lincoln in 2013 for the first time in most Hawkeye fans lifetime.

But, the list has been lean. The division play, since 2011, when it was installed has not been good for Iowa. Lately, Iowa is playing .500 ball.

2015 starts in the trenches, especially vs. Run on defense. Iowa has not been consistent vs. run, since Norm Parker departed. There has been good individual development, but overall the unit has been inconsistent.

Iowa has lacked consistent LB play, with the exception of 2013, since the solid Orange Bowl win in 2009. This has to be reversed, as they remain young. 2016 should be better, but two seniors need to lead this young group in 2015.

The secondary has been inconsistent to over the transition from Norm Parker to Phil Parker. This is Phil Parker's 17th season at Iowa and fourth season as DC. The impact in 2015 will be very important.

Where has the consistent special teams play gone for Kirk Ferentz?

I like the Iowa coaching staff for the most part. Yes, I have supported the hiring of Kirk Ferentz over Bobby Stoops, since Day 1. However, the Greg Davis hiring hasn't paid dividends.

C.J. Beathard arrived four years ago, with QB coach and OC Greg Davis. How will they gel in 2015?

How broad of personnel packages will Davis wire up in 2015?

Will Davis improve and chart touches for key playmakers, something he seems to not emphasize at Iowa?

Will Davis and Brian Ferentz get on the same page?

Will the mix of youth and experience blend into a B1G Division run for the Hawkeyes?

Most important game is not at Iowa State, but at Wisconsin. Like in 2002, winning in the Big Ten trumps the OOC. Iowa needs to open strong in B1G.

A 5-0 start would be icing on the cake. 4-1 start with wins at ISU and at Wisconsin are extremely important for Iowa's mojo.

1. Win the Division is the #1 goal.
2. Winning a solid/great bowl game and winning the B1G cannot be realized without playing well in the division and winning it.
3. Have fun again, it has been a while, since Iowa Football has been fun.

Since we walked out of the haze, that 2010 season at Kinnick, after a disappointing one point loss to Wisconsin ... the mojo has been lacking. I gave up my season tickets, after that season.

The noise has taken away from Hawkeye Football. Night games are finally returning to Kinnick. Pass me a beer.

Kirk Ferentz needs our support. His coaching staff need our support. Most importantly, the 2015 Hawkeye Football team need our support in 2015.

We have some stories that will hopefully develop in 2015 and put Iowa back on the B1G map.

IOWA isn't #1 or a top flight team right now. Over the years, Iowa isn't.

It is Ohio State.

Michigan State is #2, so why should anyone be surprised over recent recruiting news.

Where's Waldo? Michigan and Penn State are not there yet. They have big names at head coach. But, what have they done yet? They may be 3-4 in the division?

I will take Kirk Ferentz over the two new head coaches at Nebraska and Wisconsin. Ferentz beat Wisconsin's new head coach head to head last year. Ferentz has done well taking teams into Madison. He has Iowa's only win at Nebraska in the modern era.

Maryland and Minnesota have some excitement after last year. They also lost parts, but one can't underestimate their head coaches?

Iowa doesn't play Rutgers. Didn't they beat Michigan and shouldn't they have got another one vs. Penn State. I don't expect them to be very good.

IOWA beat Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois and Purdue. .500 football in the B1G.

Winning three in a row over Northwestern will be an important start to rebuilding in 2015 the Iowa mojo.

2015 is B1G. On Iowa

Best wishes to the Hawkeyes in 2015 ...

peace

I don't see Iowa starting out 5-0 to start the season.

Will Iowa be better than last season?

I think this team has the chance to be Iowa's worst since KF's 1st season. It still may get to 5-6 wins with that easy schedule. Hope I am wrong, but don't see any real reason to expect 8+ wins.

I think this team has the chance to be Iowa's worst since KF's 1st season. It still may get to 5-6 wins with that easy schedule. Hope I am wrong, but don't see any real reason to expect 8+ wins.

The worst team since his first season was his second season.

I am sure it is well known, but I do not know this, so was Bill Snyder offered or at least seriously considered for the Iowa job after 1998?

I know everyone used to talk about Bob Stoops and what went down, but I think Bill Snyder, Norm Parker, and the Hayden Fry created recruiting pipelines that seem to be long gone would have lead to huge success for Iowa.

I am sure it is well known, but I do not know this, so was Bill Snyder offered or at least seriously considered for the Iowa job after 1998?

I know everyone used to talk about Bob Stoops and what went down, but I think Bill Snyder, Norm Parker, and the Hayden Fry created recruiting pipelines that seem to be long gone would have lead to huge success for Iowa.
Well maybe, but by 1998 you were not going to pry Bill out of Kansas St. He'd found a home.

The worst team since his first season was his second season.

Maybe. Remember, that team won at Penn St and knocked #12 Northwestern out of the Rose Bowl. By the end of the year that team was pretty solid despite their record. I'm guessing that Iowa team that took the field at the end of 2000 could have beaten the 2012 Iowa squad that lost their last 6 games of the year.

ADVERTISEMENT