ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa makes Hall's top 5

He has a lot of friends on the Minnesota team, it is also in the Midwest, is coming off a rather larger recruiting class. While it's not his childhood home, he has spent six years (a third of his life) there.

Ohio State, could still be considered the Midwest. He would have work out partners (Bo and Micah Jordan, Myles Martin), they'll have three years of Snyder when he gets there, lots and lots of young talent.

So I am curious ... for the most part Iowa fans don't seem too confident Hall will become a Hawkeye. Curious as to why you think that way? Hall said he wants to wrestle in the Big 10. And be in the Midwest. My understanding is he was not born in Minnesota but moved there.

I think Iowa has as good of shot as anyone. Does Hall have special ties to the Gophers, Buckeyes, Nittany Lions? For those who think he won't choose Iowa, why do you think that way?

He would be on a team with tons of talent, a historic program; a team that he likes because he said our wrestlers are always ready to go. Now I am not a wrestling insider like many on this board; I am just intrigued by Hall and I have yet to come across any clear-cut reason why he would not come to Iowa. Thoughts?

Different schools are known for having a history of success in developing athletes at the various weight classes. Iowa is known for consistently producing high caliber wrestlers at the lighter weights.

Nebraska, on the other hand, has a lot to offer someone like Hall as far as workout partners and a history of success at his weight.

The reason Iowa needs Hall so badly is the same reason many doubt he will choose Iowa. In all the years Brands has been a Head Coach he has recruited exactly 1 NCAA Finalist(Borschel. Perry was at Iowa before Brands took over) from 165-285.

Now that is not to say the Brands brothers haven't developed a considerable amount of wrestlers in that range. They have. They simply haven't been able to recruit the super blue chip wrestlers in that weight range. Getting Hall could be the stepping stone necessary to make the top recruits at those weights consider, and inevitably(hopefully), attend(ing) Iowa.

PSU, tOSU, Nebby, Minney and Iowa fans can all build cases as to why Hall should choose their team, but only one will be happy and I hope it is Iowa. Mark Hall has a chance to be the best of the best at Iowa" I am not saying, he would be, but I would bet money that he would be if he chose Iowa. There is no other place that has more wrestling fans show up and support their team than Carver. I also believe Iowa and HWC would be able to attract excellent workout partners for Mark Hall. I like Iowa's chances! I would be very disappointed, but not going to lose sleep if we don't get him. Go Hawks!

So I am curious ... for the most part Iowa fans don't seem too confident Hall will become a Hawkeye. Curious as to why you think that way? Hall said he wants to wrestle in the Big 10. And be in the Midwest. My understanding is he was not born in Minnesota but moved there.

I think Iowa has as good of shot as anyone. Does Hall have special ties to the Gophers, Buckeyes, Nittany Lions? For those who think he won't choose Iowa, why do you think that way?

He would be on a team with tons of talent, a historic program; a team that he likes because he said our wrestlers are always ready to go. Now I am not a wrestling insider like many on this board; I am just intrigued by Hall and I have yet to come across any clear-cut reason why he would not come to Iowa. Thoughts?

I'll tell you why, because when I ask Mark "what schools are in you top three?" Iowa wasn't. One month later, his dad gave me the same answer.

The reason Iowa needs Hall so badly is the same reason many doubt he will choose Iowa. In all the years Brands has been a Head Coach he has recruited exactly 1 NCAA Finalist(Borschel. Perry was at Iowa before Brands took over) from 165-285.

Now that is not to say the Brands brothers haven't developed a considerable amount of wrestlers in that range. They have. They simply haven't been able to recruit the super blue chip wrestlers in that weight range. Getting Hall could be the stepping stone necessary to make the top recruits at those weights consider, and inevitably(hopefully), attend(ing) Iowa.

Ummmmm.. Metcalf, Slaton, Marion, St. John, McDonough, Ramos.

Edit. Saw your second part of the sentence. St. John still fits that description though.

Now that is not to say the Brands brothers haven't developed a considerable amount of wrestlers in that range. They have. They simply haven't been able to recruit the super blue chip wrestlers in that weight range.

Evans? Pretty highly rated recruit between 165 and HWT.

So if Iowa was not in the top 3 when you gathered your info directly from Mark and Dad, what schools did he mention in the top 3?

I like our chances since Hall enjoys the world rooting for him like they do against Apple Valley and the Hawkeyes. He can go to Minn, Penn State, or OSU and the arena won't even know how he is doing. Or he can wrestle for Iowa and have every non Iowa fan in the arena cheering against him.
He can also wrestle in front of the largest fan base and best coach in the country. Iowa is the place to go if his comments ring true.

By this logic we should be a shoe-in to get Lee and Suriano. I'm stoked!

Evans? Pretty highly rated recruit between 165 and HWT.

I wasn't meaning it as a knock. They are known for their exceptional light weight coaching. As a result they draw better at the lower weights. This is simple common sense. Cael Sanderson draws much better at the upper weights for the same reason.

My point was simply that, getting Hall would do a TON to eliminate that stigma.

Also, including Evans, what is the percentage of Top 10 overall/Top 2 at each weight recruits Brands has brought in between 165-285?

I'll tell you why, because when I ask Mark "what schools are in you top three?" Iowa wasn't. One month later, his dad gave me the same answer.

You're aware that things change? You're aware just a week ago he said he has a top 5 that will get visits and that Iowa is firmly in that group?

I believe Iowa has the best chance to get Lee and/or Suriano. I am just not convinced they have to or will focus on them as hard as Hall. Hall is a game changer for them. They have proven they can make monsters at 125-141. As good as Lee/Suriano would be in an Iowa singlet the gap between them and whomever else Iowa would end up starting at their respective weights would be considerably less than it would be if Hall wasn't wrestling for Iowa.

Hall. He would be a magnet for other uppers. Love both Suriano and Happel but we don't need them. Last title we got from an upper was in 2010. Plus, he and Marinelli would be great in the room together.

Wayment...

I handicap it as follows: Ohio St 2:1, Minny 3:1, Iowa 4:1, Neb 4:1, PSU 6:1, Ok St 8:1, other 15:1. Has already said B1G and midwest. Ohio St has NCAA and recruiting momentum. Minny has home-field advantage. Iowa has tradition and fan base. Neb has Burroughs.

"I don't have any specifics quite yet, but it's for sure staying in the Midwest,"

Why does Willie S think that Pennsylvania is in the Midwest?

"I don't have any specifics quite yet, but it's for sure staying in the Midwest,"

Why does Willie S think that Pennsylvania is in the Midwest?
People say "pop" instead of "soda" starting approximately west of Harrisburg. That's a sure sign that the western 2/3rds of the state is in the Midwest:)

Reactions: Ryno95
I listened to the most recent FLO radio episode where they predicted where Hall, Lee, and Suriano would attend college. I found it surprising that they said Iowa was out of it with Hall and then they predicted that both Lee and Suriano would attend PSU. They acknowledged they don't have super secret inside info, not trying to turn this into a bashing of FLO or Willie, I just hadn't heard anyone predict that Iowa would lose out on all three of those guys before that episode. It sure will be interesting to see where these three attend considering they have the potential to greatly effect the wrestling landscape during their college tenure.

Go Hawks

http://www.flowrestling.org/coverag...tions-and-MSUs-Coaching-Decision#.VZabaZ6PLcs

Reactions: Osprey Lion
People say "pop" instead of "soda" starting approximately west of Harrisburg. That's a sure sign that the western 2/3rds of the state is in the Midwest:)
I lived in Cumberland County just west of Harrisburg and every single person said soda. Might want to slide that over to west of Chambersburg. In all seriousness, Western PA fits in better with the Midwest than the Northeast or Middle Atlantic.

Flo boys just trying to get Iowa fans pissed again. I'd think the more love they gave to Iowa the more subscribers they would get from the top fan base. I'd find it crazy if ESPN didn't provide extra attention to the Yankees, LeBron, Tiger, Alabama football, Duke basketball, etc. to increase their ratings.

I understand they want to grow the sport so they are constantly pushing other programs but to keep the number one program out of "positive" discussions is crazy. I find myself being childish and wanting Iowa to win multiple titles to shove it up Flo's a*%. Damn it I'm rambling and falling into the Flowrestling trap again.

Anyways losing all three would definitely suck but I believe TnT and morning* have a plan in place and I'll trust it.

Reactions: el dub
Willie from Flo made it sound like it's down to Minny, tOSU, PSU, and Neb for Mark Hall. Said Okie St and Iowa were safely out of the running now.
First, why the hell would you say that on a podcast if the whole reason for Mark Hall to announce his decision on Flo is to gain as much media and publicity as possible for the sport of wrestling? It's one thing for Jason Bryant or Tony Hager to say it, but for a staff member of the very media outlet (Flo) that planned this huge media announcement is already blurting out that he has a very good idea that that biggest wrestling fan base in the entire country (Iowa) is already out of the running for Mark Hall is just stupid. It's bad marketing. Flo is an entertaining medium for wrestling, and they no doubt promote the sport, but it's moves like this that convinces me they have a bunch of frat/fan boys running the show over their in Austin. Wrestling needs sharper minds than that to represent them if they ever want to truly grow the sport.

Second, If what Willie said is true and Iowa's no longer an option for Mark Hall, than all the fireworks in China won't cheer me up over the weekend. Just kidding, but it would really be a big wet blanket though.

I'm still holding hope though that Hall could still come to Iowa. After all, Willie is the same guy who said he heard rumors that Tony Ramos was going to West Virginia. So, who knows where he got that info from.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
Willie from Flo made it sound like it's down to Minny, tOSU, PSU, and Neb for Mark Hall. Said Okie St and Iowa were safely out of the running now.
First, why the hell would you say that on a podcast if the whole reason for Mark Hall to announce his decision on Flo is to gain as much media and publicity as possible for the sport of wrestling? It's one thing for Jason Bryant or Tony Hager to say it, but for a staff member of the very media outlet (Flo) that planned this huge media announcement is already blurting out that he has a very good idea that that biggest wrestling fan base in the entire country (Iowa) is already out of the running for Mark Hall is just stupid. It's bad marketing. Flo is an entertaining medium for wrestling, and they no doubt promote the sport, but it's moves like this that convinces me they have a bunch of frat/fan boys running the show over their in Austin. Wrestling needs sharper minds than that to represent them if they ever want to truly grow the sport.

Second, If what Willie said is true and Iowa's no longer an option for Mark Hall, than all the fireworks in China won't cheer me up over the weekend. Just kidding, but it would really be a big wet blanket though.

I'm still holding hope though that Hall could still come to Iowa. After all, Willie is the same guy who said he heard rumors that Tony Ramos was going to West Virginia. So, who knows where he got that info from.

I guess I can't speak for everyone, but a comment from Willie Saylor will not stop me from thinking we have a shot at Hall. AND I don't think it'll deter many Hawk fans from watching the decision.

A couple weeks ago I thought Nebraska would be lock for him because of the Burroughs factor. Burroughs said he will probably compete through 2020. Except for the obvious reason of getting better why would Hall want to wrestle Burroughs everyday leading up to 2020. Its maybe the same reason David Taylor doesn't move to Nebraska to train with Burroughs everyday. I donno maybe I've got it all wrong.

If anything WIllie's comments make me think it is Iowa or Okie St. A school everyone thought was out of the running would be great content for Flo

Last edited:
And as far as saying Lee is going to PSU they just try to ruffle the feathers of Iowa fans because anytime any media outlet does that it moves the needle on clicks / podcast listens.

And as far as saying Lee is going to PSU they just try to ruffle the feathers of Iowa fans because anytime any media outlet does that it moves the needle on clicks / podcast listens.
.......as well as Suriano. Willie feels we'll miss out on all the top guys with the exception of Marinelli staying with us.

Well, now I know. But do they Wash or Warsh their clothes? I've always considered Wisconsin/Illinois border to be the cut off line.

Reactions: el dub
This just in from Willie at Flo.
Aaron Pico intends on giving his verbal to Penn State next month live on Flo!
Willie listed his source as the guy who talked to the guy who who once saw Pico warming up before a match.
Also, Willie said there's a strong indication that Snyder may transfer to PSU after he wins Gold at Rio. Him and Cael have plans to start up a fight club there in Happy Valley. Sources listed include Tyler Durdan and Meatloaf.

I guess I can't speak for everyone, but a comment from Willie Saylor will not stop me from thinking we have a shot at Hall. AND I don't think it'll deter many Hawk fans from watching the decision.

A couple weeks ago I thought Nebraska would be lock for him because of the Burroughs factor. Burroughs said he will probably compete through 2020. Except for the obvious reason of getting better why would Hall want to wrestle Burroughs everyday leading up to 2020. Its maybe the same reason David Taylor doesn't move to Nebraska to train with Burroughs everyday. I donno maybe I've got it all wrong.
I will 100% without question not be watching Mark Hall's "decision" on Flo or anywhere else. I'll find out where he chose eventually. If it's Iowa, great. If it isn't, life goes on, just like it always does.

There are several can't miss studs in every recruiting cycle. Iowa will for the foreseeable future be in the mix for the large majority of these types. We'll land some, we'll lose some. Same as always. Nothing to get worked up about either way (but it would be nice to hold the Big Trophy again for a change....................).:D

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT