ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa offense

DarkThunder#61

HR Legend
Sep 28, 2005
Just wanted to keep this stat fresh after I "stumbled" upon it while replying to a post in another thread. To be honest, I wasn't aware of the total number myself and given all the gloom and doom posting going on around here you would probably never have guess it, unless you looked it up of course......;)

In 2014, for all the complaints about how awful our offense is, and how predictable it is, and how boring it is, and how we need to change this and change that and get with the times.........

Iowa still managed 5,210 total yards of offense. That's only the 3rd time in Kirk Ferentz's career Iowa went over the 5,000 yard mark (2002, 2005) and is 2nd only to that 2002 team which racked up 5,518 yards. It is funny too because I found that out while trying to build comparisons to that 2005 team, which I thought we kind of had a similar season to.

Now, does this mean everything is okay? No. Iowa has plenty of room for improvement still and we did leave a lot on the table. Iowa was also good for 60th in the nation in total offense, if that tells you how much the game has changed just since 2002.

Scoring offense still leaves a lot to be desired as well, which is a separate entity to offense in yards. You could put up 500 yards of offense and still only score 13 points and lose by 10. THAT is the game of football.

Finishing drives with touchdowns should be the main complaint about the offense. Not rehashing how boring and predictable it is, unless you change it up and say how boring and predictable Iowa is at scoring 24 points a game. But none of those kind of posters would take the time to make that adjustment to their rants.

And of course the other side of the coin is the defense, which wasn't always able to do its job given certain deficiencies.

P.S. One more stat for you, Iowa averaged just over 31 minutes of Time of Possession, good enough for a tie for 20th in the nation. Another team tied for 20th......Alabama.
No, I know. I doesn't mean we're ready to compete for national titles. But it does mean, it may not be as bad as we want to think it is..........................that's all.

It was obvious that our offense could score. The problem was that we didn't seem to score until it was too late. There was a few games where we were down big and had nice comebacks. The frustration is with the lack of urgency early in the game. Mix that with on of the worst defenses in recent history and you have a problem.

Also, we had a crappy schedule to consider.

The past offenses that reached the 5000 milestone had a good Michigan team and Ohio State on the schedule.

Just wanted to keep this stat fresh after I "stumbled" upon it while replying to a post in another thread. To be honest, I wasn't aware of the total number myself and given all the gloom and doom posting going on around here you would probably never have guess it, unless you looked it up of course......;)

In 2014, for all the complaints about how awful our offense is, and how predictable it is, and how boring it is, and how we need to change this and change that and get with the times.........

Iowa still managed 5,210 total yards of offense. That's only the 3rd time in Kirk Ferentz's career Iowa went over the 5,000 yard mark (2002, 2005) and is 2nd only to that 2002 team which racked up 5,518 yards. It is funny too because I found that out while trying to build comparisons to that 2005 team, which I thought we kind of had a similar season to.

Now, does this mean everything is okay? No. Iowa has plenty of room for improvement still and we did leave a lot on the table. Iowa was also good for 60th in the nation in total offense, if that tells you how much the game has changed just since 2002.

Scoring offense still leaves a lot to be desired as well, which is a separate entity to offense in yards. You could put up 500 yards of offense and still only score 13 points and lose by 10. THAT is the game of football.

Finishing drives with touchdowns should be the main complaint about the offense. Not rehashing how boring and predictable it is, unless you change it up and say how boring and predictable Iowa is at scoring 24 points a game. But none of those kind of posters would take the time to make that adjustment to their rants.

And of course the other side of the coin is the defense, which wasn't always able to do its job given certain deficiencies.

P.S. One more stat for you, Iowa averaged just over 31 minutes of Time of Possession, good enough for a tie for 20th in the nation. Another team tied for 20th......Alabama.
No, I know. I doesn't mean we're ready to compete for national titles. But it does mean, it may not be as bad as we want to think it is..........................that's all.

Would you rather lead in yards or compete for championships? I would rather rank 101st in offense and win 10-12 games? The only stat that matters is the one you seem to never mention...wins and loses! The offense is boring...we run 15 plays out of 5 formations and then we hear how complicated it is? Not trying to be a debbie downer....lets be honest about what we have! That offense ranked 66th nationally, FYI.

Iowa's offense is, and has almost always been, centered around linebackers and linemen. And to a lesser extent, special teams.

Iowa's lack of success in my opinion can be traced back to a couple of years of recruiting and attrition.

It is what it is. Almost everyone is agreeing 2016, and 2017 should be significantly better. Myself included. Why is this? Why if we fill deficiencies at OT and DT will we be better this year? Because linebackers and improved special teams.

My questions this year are only these. Does a backup qb have an opportunity for some in game experience. Can this coaching staff really do what almost everyone already cedes they can do? Which is to say develop offensive and defensive linemen. If they can, we have a decent secondary, the special teams showed improvement last year, and as much as people have issues with rb's and wr's, we actually have some players at these positions this season.

What do I know? Last year at this time I would have thought our offensive line would be very, very good, and we could run the ball almost at will. Who knows if not being able to do this was a result of no down filed threat? It's all noise except it almost always comes down to less than 10 minutes of football each and every season making the difference, and wins and losses. .

Reactions: Bigfann1966
We can spin stats any way we want. I wouldn't center my argument around something where the hawks ranked in the 60s nationally though. The game has changed just a little since 1999. In fact, that's what everyone has been angry about all along. Too conservative in general. Times have passed him by, etc.

The defense wasn't good either, but the O? Couldn't score against Ball St and ISU!

Would you rather lead in yards or compete for championships? (Lead in yards of course, because I don't think Iowa has done that yet in the Ferentz era. We've already competed for and won Big Ten titles. Time for something new and exciting.) I would rather rank 101st in offense and win 10-12 games? (Was that a question?) The only stat that matters is the one you seem to never mention...wins and loses! (Because this isn't a discussion about our offense and how it pertains to wins and losses.........otherwise I would've spent more time focusing on our defensive issues as being just as much a contributing factor in our lack of victories in 2014. If you give up 51 points in a game, your defense is not doing it right....) The offense is boring (your opinion is valued, but it's still your opinion......unless you have facts to support that it's boring besides wins and losses. Iowa has won with no running back and the same pass plays we always ran under Ken O'Keefe. Teams just weren't ready for Drew Tate's playmaking ability in year one, and our defense saved our butts almost as many times as in 2009. Again, we're talking about whether the offense is boring. Not whether it's good enough to win championships. That's not what you're saying. You're saying it's boring and predictable. So prove it. Are wins and touchdowns the only things that makes an offense exciting and unpredictable?)...we run 15 plays out of 5 formations (Link? Or are you just exaggerating this to help your opinion?...........Btw, how does this compare to other teams since this seems to be an issue of concern?) and then we hear how complicated it is? (So basically you were exaggerating about the 15 plays in 5 formations.......got it, thanks.) Not trying to be a debbie downer....lets be honest about what we have! (Hey that's what I was saying in the other thread about the 2015 team!!! You should check it out. :))
That offense ranked 66th nationally, FYI. (Not that it matters.................but I was going off of total yards, not yards per game for last year, at least.

Fyi.....

We can spin stats any way we want. I wouldn't center my argument around something where the hawks ranked in the 60s nationally though. The game has changed just a little since 1999. In fact, that's what everyone has been angry about all along. Too conservative in general. Times have passed him by, etc.

The defense wasn't good either, but the O? Couldn't score against Ball St and ISU!
We can spin stats anyway we want. Yes, indeed...

My argument is that Iowa's offense is not as boring and predictable, in the literal sense at worst, as people would tell you...........................what did you think my argument was?

I know the game has changed. I've said that quite a bit in these threads. And I was talking about 2002, the only great Iowa offense, apparently, in the Ferentz era. This year's team had a little less than 400 fewer yards with much less talent.

Oh and I know that's what everyone's been angry about. They've taken those complaints and that anger and used it to manifest this belief, consequently, that the offense is boring and predictable. But the real issue is that Iowa isn't winning, or at least scoring enough points to win, regardless of what kind of yardage they put up. To be honest, I don't think people would care what kind of offense Iowa ran as long as it results it points being scored and games being won......but then again that's separate from something being boring. Iowa has won being boring, albeit unconventionally..If a boring offense (base I-formation) scores points and wins games, is it still perceived as boring by the fans? If an up-tempo, exciting spread offense scores lots points and the team still loses games (Texas Tech), how long will fans be satisfied with the unpredictability of the offense? That's why it's not all about the offense.

And to make a short point, long....that's why I'm encouraging people to reconsider how they define boring and predictable and what kind of connotation they attach to whatever they deem boring and predictable. There is a difference between boring and inconsistent.

Boring is Iowa failing to move the ball against Iowa State in the 2nd half of a low-scoring loss. Inconsistent is Iowa pulling off a 2011 Pittsburgh in a low-scoring win against Ball State.
Iowa fans are using wins and losses way too much to define Iowa's offense as boring and predictable.

Oh and Bigfann, you're a prime example of this, not to call you out, but I just recalled something you wrote. Do you think Indiana's offense is boring and predictable? Or what about Maryland's? Iowa outgained both those teams last year, though we split the series against both. Iowa also scored more overall than the Hoosiers and Maryland had 5 more points than us. If you don't care where Iowa ranks statistically on offense (as you said, you'd rather be 101st on offense and win 10-12 games), then you must base whether an offense is boring or not on how many games they win, because that's the only stat that matters, right? Indiana won 4 games and Maryland went 7-6 just like us, so they must have boring offenses too, right?
Or is it the manner in which they win, and only win, that counts?......

That's inconsistency, right there, folks.

Food for thought.

P.S. I'm not talking about how good, or bad, they are. I'm talking about what we're defining as boring and predictable.

Last edited:
Hey, why you picking on me... I actually like Indiana's offense, only watched Maryland the one time. I'm not going to look this up....but, did you consider their opponents?

Hey, why you picking on me... I actually like Indiana's offense, only watched Maryland the one time. I'm not going to look this up....but, did you consider their opponents?
Why does who they're playing matter as far as whether or not an offense is boring? And hey, you said wins and losses are the only stat that matters, so you like Indiana's offense that led them to 4 wins, but not Iowa's offense that led them to 7 wins, including one over Indiana where they scored 45 points.

That's inconsistency.

And I'm singling you out simply because there are others who share your opinion. So in a way I'm speaking to them as well.

And fwiw, Indiana did have a much tougher schedule than Iowa. They beat in-state FCS rival Indiana State, 28-10, then lost to Bowling Green, who played in the MAC championship. They scored arguably the biggest non-conference win of the season for the Big Ten with a 31-27 win at SEC East champ Missouri, and then followed that up with a 37-15 loss at home to Maryland :confused:. After a rebound victory over future-Iowa opponent North Texas, they lost 6 straight Big Ten games, giving up at least 34 points in 5 of them. This included road trips to Iowa, Michigan, Rutgers and Ohio State, and home losses to Michigan State (56-17) and Penn State (13-7). They then concluded the season with a narrow win over archrival Purdue.

Boring to me is our offensive scheme. Predictable to me is the ability for opposing coaches to defend against us and our play calling. I compare our offense to what Wisconsin does in basketball. Slow, conservative, grind it out ball....thou they are very good at it!

I'm glad Dark Thunder brought this to the board. Good post. I have been very upset with the offense, and I wouldn't have guessed that 2014 had the second-most yards gained in the KF era.

I'll say this - yards gained might not always equate to scoring points, but I'd guess the two correlate a lot. It actually kind of makes last year even more frustrating!

YEAR IOWA YPP
2014 5.5
2013 5.3
2012 4.7
2011 5.6
2010 6.2
2009 5.2
2008 5.8
2007 4.7
2006 5.8
2005 6.2
2004 4.6
2003 5.1
2002 6.4

7th most prolific offense on a yards per play basis (per Sports Reference) in the last 13 years.

And for fun, the defense:

YEAR OPP YPP
2014 5.3
2013 4.6
2012 5.5
2011 5.1
2010 4.9
2009 4.3
2008 4.4
2007 4.8
2006 4.9
2005 5
2004 4.3
2003 4.3
2002 4.9

2nd worst on a yards per play basis in the last 13 years seasons. The worst being 2012 when the Hawks were abysmal on both sides of the football.

Boring to me is our offensive scheme. Predictable to me is the ability for opposing coaches to defend against us and our play calling. I compare our offense to what Wisconsin does in basketball. Slow, conservative, grind it out ball....thou they are very good at it!
Describe our offensive scheme since you know it's boring. Reason I ask is because how would you know it's boring if you don't even understand it? What, because we don't win games? Because we struggle against lesser opponents? Because other angry fans said so?

Who are the coaches that consistently defend well year after year against our offensive schemes regardless of talent? I'm sure you'll say Northwestern, who we beat 48-7, this year. Maybe it was just a down year for Fitzy. How many Iowa fans still want Patrick on the Iowa sidelines once Kirk retires/is fired?

Teams will defend well against Iowa in a given week, and given year depending on how good or bad we are. But there isn't a single returning coach in the Big Ten who has Iowa's offense on "lockdown", outside of Ohio State, because they've rebuilt their monopoly over the conference, and we all let them, unfortunately.

And for fun, the defense:

YEAR OPP YPP
2014 5.3
2013 4.6
2012 5.5
2011 5.1
2010 4.9
2009 4.3
2008 4.4
2007 4.8
2006 4.9
2005 5
2004 4.3
2003 4.3
2002 4.9

2nd worst on a yards per play basis in the last 13 years seasons. The worst being 2012 when the Hawks were abysmal on both sides of the football.
Yeah......obviously, the defense had something to do with why we struggled. Not just because the offense was "boring and predictable".

While you may not be trying to help my argument....you're certainly not hurting it either.

One thing to consider is how much the game has changed since 2002. Yes, Iowa's offense statistically was better compared to past years, but where did it rank nationally? To me, the lack of a consistent running game is very troublesome.

Iowa runs a pro-style offense that leans toward the run. They still use a zone blocking scheme. It's a ok offense when you have the personnel to execute it consistently. We rarely seem to have the personnel as of late to be very effective. In the KF era the offense has rarely ever been "good". They try to play error free, ball control, hope the defense can bail you out football. Very conservative is why I don't like it!

Since 2010 we are 19-21 in conference play, 2-3 against Iowa State, barely above 500 overall. Who hasn't had trouble defending us? Sure the teams vary from year to year, but we consistently lose to teams we shouldn't. We get a lead and KF goes into Tressel ball mode and then blows it.

Norm P is the reason Kirk has had a comfy career at Iowa. His defense is the only reason we are having this conversation now, and why I think Kirk's time at Iowa is about over. The coaching is not good and players are not being developed like they were with the previous assistants. It seems like talented kids are leaving the program and our next best options are walk-ons? You can hit gold from time to time with walk-ons, I wouldn't try to build a program with them. Especially at the expense of chasing off of kids who are talented!

I don't expect Iowa to win the BIG every year, but we should be in the hunt more than twice in 15-16 years! Hopefully I half way answered the question?

One thing to consider is how much the game has changed since 2002. Yes, Iowa's offense statistically was better compared to past years, but where did it rank nationally? To me, the lack of a consistent running game is very troublesome.

What's even more troublesome to me is the amount of OL going pro compared with the results we are seeing on the field?

Reactions: Hwkfn1
YEAR IOWA YPP
2014 5.5
2013 5.3
2012 4.7
2011 5.6
2010 6.2
2009 5.2
2008 5.8
2007 4.7
2006 5.8
2005 6.2
2004 4.6
2003 5.1
2002 6.4

7th most prolific offense on a yards per play basis (per Sports Reference) in the last 13 years.
Again, I'm not trying to prove how good or bad Iowa's offense was. I'm trying to get people to change how they label Iowa's offense. Call it average if you want, but try harder if you want to call it boring and predictable. Inconsistency and questionable decision-making does not necessarily equal boring and predictable.

Also something else you need to factor in is the amount of plays Iowa has run each season:

2014- 951 (73.2 plays/gm)
2013- 932 (71.7 ppg)
2012- 793 (66.1 ppg)
2011- 866 (66.6 ppg)
2010- 806 (62 ppg)
2009- 846 (65.1 ppg)
2008- 835 (64.2 ppg)
2007- 814 (67.8 ppg)
2006- 855 (65.8 ppg)
2005- 840 (70 ppg)
2004- 813 (67.8 ppg)
2003- 855 (65.8 ppg)
2002- 867 (66.7 ppg)
2001- 741 (61.8 ppg)
2000- 808 (67.3 ppg)
1999- 715 (65 ppg)

The whole point of me posting the yards per play was to factor in the number of plays the hawks ran! Geez I thought that was obvious

Iowa runs a pro-style offense that leans toward the run. They still use a zone blocking scheme. It's a ok offense when you have the personnel to execute it consistently. We rarely seem to have the personnel as of late to be very effective. In the KF era the offense has rarely ever been "good". They try to play error free, ball control, hope the defense can bail you out football. Very conservative is why I don't like it!

Since 2010 we are 19-21 in conference play, 2-3 against Iowa State, barely above 500 overall. Who hasn't had trouble defending us? Sure the teams vary from year to year, but we consistently lose to teams we shouldn't. We get a lead and KF goes into Tressel ball mode and then blows it.

Norm P is the reason Kirk has had a comfy career at Iowa. His defense is the only reason we are having this conversation now, and why I think Kirk's time at Iowa is about over. The coaching is not good and players are not being developed like they were with the previous assistants. It seems like talented kids are leaving the program and our next best options are walk-ons? You can hit gold from time to time with walk-ons, I wouldn't try to build a program with them. Especially at the expense of chasing off of kids who are talented!

I don't expect Iowa to win the BIG every year, but we should be in the hunt more than twice in 15-16 years! Hopefully I half way answered the question?

There is just so much wrong in this post.

Would you rather lead in yards or compete for championships? I would rather rank 101st in offense and win 10-12 games? The only stat that matters is the one you seem to never mention...wins and loses! The offense is boring...we run 15 plays out of 5 formations and then we hear how complicated it is? Not trying to be a debbie downer....lets be honest about what we have! That offense ranked 66th nationally, FYI.
How many exciting offenses rank 101st? Which side of your mouth will you talk from next?

Again, I'm not trying to prove how good or bad Iowa's offense was. I'm trying to get people to change how they label Iowa's offense. Call it average if you want, but try harder if you want to call it boring and predictable. Inconsistency and questionable decision-making does not necessarily equal boring and predictable.

Also something else you need to factor in is the amount of plays Iowa has run each season:

2014- 951 (73.2 plays/gm)
2013- 932 (71.7 ppg)
2012- 793 (66.1 ppg)
2011- 866 (66.6 ppg)
2010- 806 (62 ppg)
2009- 846 (65.1 ppg)
2008- 835 (64.2 ppg)
2007- 814 (67.8 ppg)
2006- 855 (65.8 ppg)
2005- 840 (70 ppg)
2004- 813 (67.8 ppg)
2003- 855 (65.8 ppg)
2002- 867 (66.7 ppg)
2001- 741 (61.8 ppg)
2000- 808 (67.3 ppg)
1999- 715 (65 ppg)
I think it was obvious that the D let the bend dont break D - it broke against Wisasshole and The Cornholers.

How many exciting offenses rank 101st? Which side of your mouth will you talk from next?

Hahaha.... How many exciting offenses have you seen under KF? Almost all would rank in the middle of the pack. Defense is what kept us in games for most of his tenure here. I'm not saying I want a bad offense. The point is I would rather see us win, regardless of how he's doing it?

Last edited:
My complaint with the offense is that Iowa doesn't seem to do anything to ensure the ball is consistently in the hands of its best playmaker(s).

This is what college football is all about. The best offenses find ways to get the ball into the playmaker's hands as much as possible. They vary formations (sometimes in wacky ways) to ensure the best calculated risk for that playmaker. And more and more, the QUARTERBACK is considered to be one of these playmakers (using their feet / speed / quickness).

Tavaun Smith is this year's playmaker. Find him. Repeatedly. Then teams will have to lean his way and that opens the door for the TEs, RBs, etc. Get creative. Go for it on 4th and 2. Let's play like we're trying to win for a change.

Some excellent points DarkT #61. Never as good as they say or as bad as they say. Football is the ultimate chess match.

In the past, people complained that you should only use conference stats to compare teams, as OOC schedules add too much variability.

Iowa finished 5th in the B1G in points scored, 8th in points allowed.

Now we're starting the QB that everyone on the internet thinks is quite a bit better than Rudock.

Watch out.

a4-bp-blogspot-com__zknyzusi7yc_tlzqdt6jkri_aaaaaaaaavc_hvsewu0xz8c_s1600_beating_the_dead_horse-jpg.24735

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT