ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Only Scrimmage Not On Big Ten Network

Iowa Hog

HR MVP
Sep 30, 2001
No wonder the Big Ten Network ratings are so low. Iowa is the only school in Big Ten who has a scrimmage that is not televised.

Originally posted by Iowa Hog:
No wonder the Big Ten Network ratings are so low. Iowa is the only school in Big Ten who has a scrimmage that is not televised.
Yep, one of the top reasons the B1G Network is going to go off the air and fail is because they don't plan on putting the Iowa spring game on the air. In fact, the B1G is struggling greatly because they don't have more Iowa games on in general. The Iowa fan base is a very large one and very big and vocal. People like you prove it.

Yes, I am kidding. Your post does make me laugh however.

Personally I don't blame them for not televising a spring practice. I went to the first one and that was the last one I ever attended as it was the most boring, waste of time event I ever attended involving Iowa football. Spring games used to be so fun and for 11 years, prior to KF's decision to kill them, it brought together members of my family and family friends as a nice little weekend getaway to Iowa City in April. It was a great way to get together, have a good time, and get excited about Iowa football. Now it sucks and no-one who used to go wants to go anymore. This is another poor decision by KF which felt like a knee jerk reaction to injuries (which still occurs in pre-season in normal practice BTW) and I took as a middle finger to the fanbase.....but I will give him a little credit that they are starting to re-evaluate prior bad decisions and maybe this is another one they can re-evaluate and hopefully change.

Originally posted by InsaneHawk:

Personally I don't blame them for not televising a spring practice. I went to the first one and that was the last one I ever attended as it was the most boring, waste of time event I ever attended involving Iowa football. Spring games used to be so fun and for 11 years, prior to KF's decision to kill them, it brought together members of my family and family friends as a nice little weekend getaway to Iowa City in April. It was a great way to get together, have a good time, and get excited about Iowa football. Now it sucks and no-one who used to go wants to go anymore. This is another poor decision by KF which felt like a knee jerk reaction to injuries (which still occurs in pre-season in normal practice BTW) and I took as a middle finger to the fanbase.....but I will give him a little credit that they are starting to re-evaluate prior bad decisions and maybe this is another one they can re-evaluate and hopefully change.
Another reason among many why Iowa football just is not considered an exciting thing to many at its current state.

I would be see surprised to see more than 10,000 next Saturday at the spring game even if it is a nice day outside. It wasn't that many years ago we were reeling in 25,000 or more for the event.

I marvel at how a school like Nebraska still gets 75,000+ for their spring game almost annually.

Originally posted by frydaze:
Originally posted by InsaneHawk:

Another reason among many why Iowa football just is not considered an exciting thing to many at its current state.

I would be see surprised to see more than 10,000 next Saturday at the spring game even if it is a nice day outside. It wasn't that many years ago we were reeling in 25,000 or more for the event.

I marvel at how a school like Nebraska still gets 75,000+ for their spring game almost annually.
I guarantee you that the minute it is announced that Iowa is going back to an actual spring game format.....you will see a ton of excitement from the fanbase and you will, without at doubt, get the 25,000+ in the stadium to see the game and Iowa will have a televised event on the BTN.

Call me crazy, but it seems like low hanging fruit that this football staff could do to gain some interest from a fanbase whom's interest in the team is drastically declining.

Re:SEC Trouncing Big Ten Network

Poor programming selection like not broadcasting the Iowa Spring football game is not the only reason the Big Ten Network does not draw the audience of the SEC Conference, it was probably the choice of a commissioner to old to think clearly to chose Fox over ESPN.

The format makes very little difference to 95% of the fanbase. Nebby would still have 70,000 if it changed to exactly what Iowa does. Most fans don't even pay attention to the scoreboard in a spring game. Illinois spotted the 2nd/3rd teamers 17 pts to start the game. How realistic is that? They had players wearing 4 different colors. Defensive lineman played on both teams and were wearing black. Having the Des Moines scrimmage has hurt the attendance at the spring game as much as anything. Iowa football is not the only show in town like in Nebraska. IMO most people attend spring games to see the new faces that we may see next fall. We know we are not going to see a wide open playbook, QB's getting hit, or Parker's blitz packages. It's spring football!

He doesn't want to risk injury to the mid-2 star studs he keeps putting on the field.

3dgrin.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT