ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa ranked 55th in Non Con Scheduling

Auger

HR All-American
Sep 14, 2007
Iowa ranks 55th in Non Conference scheduling over the next 5 years and ranks 13th in the B1G. If Iowa Football is going to improve Iowa needs to schedule better non conference games and improve their national image. On a side note only one SEC team made the top 20. Pretty sad coming from the conference many say is the best.

if we don't have the 'lame ducks' we are 2-10. even the lame ducks are beating us...
nerd.r191677.gif

Originally posted by makeachange:
if we don't have the 'lame ducks' we are 2-10. even the lame ducks are beating us...
nerd.r191677.gif
Hey douche, I was wondering if you saw this. It seems like Mark Stoop's boys get beat by mid majors too, most notably Eastern Kentucky. The players didn't even stand up for the cheap shot on their quarterback, but go ahead and think about him later when you're uh, doing your thing.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/4/15/8421335/kentucky-eastern-kentucky-fight-video

Originally posted by Auger:

On a side note only one SEC team made the top 20. Pretty sad coming from the conference many say is the best.
Completely agreed. They all get ranked pre-season, and then the other thing is the SEC's non-conference schedule is mixed in to the whole year. So the conference always looks to start so tough when you see a Thursday nighter between South Carolina and Texas A&M to kick off the year... but they play nobody in the non-con for the most part, and it is why they all stay ranked so highly. Well, that and the fact they do have some pretty damn good teams!

Yeah, we suck at football, so let's make the schedule as difficult as possible.

Brilliant idea.

This is what bad coaches do to get some wins. The guy can't even figure out who the best qb is or how to put the best rb into the game so he has to schedule crap teams and pray for blocked fg's to get some wins.

I will grant you that the SEC has not traditionally scheduled a lot of marquee, out-of-state, non-conference match ups. But by definition they cannot play any teams from the best conference in the country in the non-conference slate, which inevitably hurts their strength of schedule as well.

We, on the other hand, have no excuse.

If you want Iowa to play big time teams on the road every season, by all means, write the schedule.

For a goddam decade, threads like this are and continue to be utterly idiotic.

It takes 2 to tango. And the economics of modern day CFB means you have to have home and home series to even have a hope to make money.

No upper class non-con series will ever get signed for a home and home with Iowa because it hampers their budgets also. What you will see is more of the one-off games early in the year at neutral sites...but again, it's all about how much money you want to lose by scheduling them.

Say a neutral with Texas? Sure...if it's in Houston or Dallas. Kansas City? Not a chance in hell. Georgia? Yeah sure...if it's in Atlanta. Florida Gators? Of course they will, Tampa's NFL stadium would love to host us.

Iowa will most likely be destined for more H&H series with the Pittsburghs of the CFB world than ever before if the economics stay the same. And from the looks of it, those are even getting tougher to schedule. They're in the exact same boat as us.

But like I say...go ahead and call any SEC team you want...just so you know, Iowa to my knowledge has never played a home or away game with an SEC team in program history. The ACC? I believe a few games from the 60's and farther back with NC State and Wake Forest (maybe)...handful at most. Last B12 (not ISU) I believe was K-State in the early stages of Snyder's era and maybe the H&H with Nebby early in Kirk's.

But since the schedule snobs say it's possible, what the hell do I know.

Hard to get that bowl banner if you don't schedule three or four bad teams in the non-conference. Pretty gutless if you ask me. Who the hell cares if you win six or seven games if a couple of those wins are against crappy directional schools.

When Fry was here, we always played at least one big time opponent out of conference. We had games against UCLA, Tennessee, Miami, Nebraska, etc. That was when all of those programs were elite, too. It infuriates me that Iowa refuses to schedule an elite program. Wisconsin has scheduled LSU and Alabama. Minnesota played a home and home with USC.

If we can't get a home and home, do it on a neutral site.

This post was edited on 4/16 5:59 PM by hoks2415

Originally posted by bagdropper:

If you want Iowa to play big time teams on the road every season, by all means, write the schedule.

It takes 2 to tango. And the economics of modern day CFB means you have to have home and home series to even have a hope to make money.

No upper class non-con series will ever get signed for a home and home with Iowa because it hampers their budgets also. What you will see is more of the one-off games early in the year at neutral sites...but again, it's all about how much money you want to lose by scheduling them.

Say a neutral with Texas? Sure...if it's in Houston or Dallas. Kansas City? Not a chance in hell. Georgia? Yeah sure...if it's in Atlanta. Florida Gators? Of course they will, Tampa's NFL stadium would love to host us.

Iowa will most likely be destined for more H&H series with the Pittsburghs of the CFB world than ever before if the economics stay the same. And from the looks of it, those are even getting tougher to schedule. They're in the exact same boat as us.

But like I say...go ahead and call any SEC team you want...just so you know, Iowa to my knowledge has never played a home or away game with an SEC team in program history. The ACC? I believe a few games from the 60's and farther back with NC State and Wake Forest (maybe)...handful at most. Last B12 (not ISU) I believe was K-State in the early stages of Snyder's era and maybe the H&H with Nebby early in Kirk's.

LSU is playing Wisconsin at Lambeau Field next year.

I would rather Iowa played an elite program and lose by a couple touchdowns, than beat Northeastern New Hampshire State. Even if it means the difference between five and six wins.

This post was edited on 4/16 10:21 PM by hoks2415

Originally posted by hoks2415:
I would rather Iowa played an elite program and lose by a couple touchdowns, then beat Northeastern New Hampshire State. Even if it means the difference between five and six wins.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I think that's short-sighted. Going to a bowl game is simply huge. Doesn't matter if it's the Toilet Bowl and you lose it. Still better than not being invited.

Iowa's non-conference under Hayden Fry (overall record included after each year in parentheses):

1979 (5-6):
at #3 Oklahoma L, 21-6
#7 Nebraska L, 24-21
Iowa State W, 30-14

1980 (4-7):
at #7 Nebraska L, 57-0
Iowa State L, 10-7
Arizona L, 5-3 (basically the predecessor to 2004 Penn State)

1981 (8-4):
#9 Nebraska W, 10-7
at Iowa State, L 23-12
UCLA W 20-7

1982 (8-4):
at #3 Nebraska L, 42-7
Iowa State L, 19-7
at Arizona W, 17-14

1983 (9-3):
at Iowa State W, 51-10
at Penn State W, 42-34

1984 (8-4-1):
Iowa State W, 59-21
Penn State L, 20-17
at Hawaii W, 17-6

1985 (10-2):
Drake W, 58-0
Northern Illinois W, 48-20
at Iowa State W, 57-3

1986 (9-3):
Iowa State W, 43-7
Northern Illinois W, 57-3
UTEP W, 69-7

1987 (10-3):
vs #14 Tennessee L, 23-22
at Arizona W, 15-14
at Iowa State W, 48-9
Kansas State W, 38-13

1988 (6-4-3):
at Hawaii L, 27-24
at Kansas State W, 45-10
Colorado L, 24-21
Iowa State W, 10-3

1989 (5-6):
Oregon L, 44-6
at Iowa State W, 31-21
Tulsa W, 30-22

1990 (8-4):
Cincinnati W, 63-10
Iowa State W, 45-35
#3 Miami L, 48-21

1991 (10-1-1):
Hawaii W, 23-10
at Iowa State W, 29-10
Northern Illinois W, 58-7

1992 (5-7):
vs #17 North Carolina State L, 24-14
#3 Miami L, 24-7
Iowa State W, 21-7
at #13 Colorado L, 28-12

1993 (6-6):
Tulsa W, 26-25
at Iowa State W, 31-28
Northern Illinois W, 54-20

1994 (5-5-1):
Central Michigan W, 52-21
Iowa State W, 37-9
at #11 Oregon L, 40-18

1995 (8-4):
Northern Iowa W, 34-14
at Iowa State W, 27-10
New Mexico State W, 59-21

1996 (9-3):
Arizona W, 21-20
Iowa State W, 38-13
at Tulsa L, 27-20

1997 (7-5):
Northern Iowa W, 66-0
Tulsa W, 54-16
at Iowa State W, 63-20

1998 (3-8):
Central Michigan W, 38-0
Iowa State L, 27-9
at #4 Arizona L, 35-11

More on this later...

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

I would rather Iowa played an elite program and lose by a couple touchdowns, then beat Northeastern New Hampshire State. Even if it means the difference between five and six wins.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I think that's short-sighted. Going to a bowl game is simply huge. Doesn't matter if it's the Toilet Bowl and you lose it. Still better than not being invited.
How would you know?

Going to a bowl game with a 6-6 record is not huge, especially when a few of those wins were against terrible competition. Going 6-6 lands you in some hell hole like Detroit or Shreveport playing in front of 15-20,000 fans. No thanks.

So, yes I would rather watch Iowa play a storied program, even if it would sacrifice bowl eligibility.

So now back to the Hayden Fry era OOC scheduling.......

- Iowa faced 12 teams that finished the season ranked in the Top 25 over the course of Hayden Fry's 20 years here. All but one, surprisingly, finished in the Top 15 (#17 NC State in 1992).

- Of the 62 total non-conference games Iowa played in the Fry era, 44 (~71%) were from a major conference (or a major Independent)

- Iowa went 41-21 OOC under Fry (.661 win pct). However, Iowa was just 1-11 against the final-ranked opponents they faced, with the lone win coming in 1981 over Nebraska. It is worth noting that there were a few games where teams were ranked at the time when Iowa beat them, but they fell out by the end of the year; such as when Iowa upset then-#10 UCLA, also in 1981.

- Iowa also lost 8 games in a row against ranked opponents following that 1981 win over Nebraska during the remainder of Fry's tenure, and didn't win one again until 2003 against Miami, OH (the Ben Roethlisberger-led RedHawks finished the season #10 in the AP poll). That win and the 18-17 victory over #22 Northern Illinois in 2012 are the only non-conference wins over final-ranked opponents in the Kirk Ferentz era (coincidentally both wins being the only regular season defeats for the two MAC champions). So yes, there is something he is literally one-up on Hayden.
- Speaking of Ferentz, we can get into that a bit more later, but part of this post is to illustrate how many fewer ranked opponents Iowa has faced, not just since Kirk took over. but towards the end of the Fry era as well.

- Of the remaining 10 losses to unranked teams in OOC play in the Fry era, 4 were to Iowa State, and then one each to Arizona, Penn State, Oregon, Colorado, Hawaii and Tulsa. So of Iowa's 21 OOC losses, only two came to "mid-majors".

- Of the 44 games against major conference or Independent opponents, Iowa went 25-19 (.568), again with only one of those wins coming over a ranked opponent and 16 coming against Iowa State. That means Fry went 9-15 (.375) against major conference teams not named Iowa State, and 8-4 (.667) against non-ranked major conference opponents

- Hayden Fry's teams did sweep non-conference play 7 times in his tenure. Something Ferentz has done only 3 times in his 16 years. Though, it's also worth noting that the only year of those 7 that Iowa played a major team besides Iowa State was in 1983, when the Hawks won their only two non-conference games of that year at Iowa State and at Penn State. In the other 6 seasons, the remaining teams were from mid-major conferences. (That's not necessarily meant to sound like an indictment of any kind, especially considering Ferentz's own struggles with mid-majors).

- Lastly, in Fry's final 5 seasons, Iowa faced 8 major conference opponents. Of course, 5 times were against Iowa State. The other three were against Oregon and Arizona x2. Iowa went 5-3 against them, and 0-2 against the ranked opponents. They went 11-4 overall in the non-conference and 6-1 against mid-majors in those final years.

- For a quick comparison, in the last 5 years of Ferentz's tenure, Iowa has also faced a major conference opponent 8 times. The non-rivals being Pittsburgh x2 and Arizona. Iowa is 4-4 in those games, with 3 of those losses coming to Iowa State. They're 14-6 overall and 10-2 against mid-majors, with the losses being to Central Michigan in 2012 and Northern Illinois in 2013. It's also worth noting that Iowa has played 4 OOC games every year regularly since 2006.

So basically, excluding the addition of an extra non-conference home game, Iowa has played just as many mid-majors and major conference opponents from 2010-2014 as they did from 1994-1998.

Juuuuuuuuust sayin..................................................
lurk.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 4/17 7:03 AM by EvilMonkeyInTheCloset

Iowa ranks 55th in Non Conference scheduling over the next 5 years and ranks 13th in the B1G. If Iowa Football is going to improve Iowa needs to schedule better non conference games and improve their national image. On a side note only one SEC team made the top 20. Pretty sad coming from the conference many say is the best.

Didn't we just get our ass handed to us in the bowl game by a 6-6 SEC team?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by swagsurfer02:

Didn't we just get our ass handed to us in the bowl game by a 6-6 SEC team?
No.....that never happened. And these are not the droids you are looking for.............................

Imagine if Iowa actually played a tough schedule last year? This would have been another 4-win season. We failed to beat anyone with a winning record and that schedule was one of the easiest schedules I can think of in my 35 years of being a diehard.

I love the people who makes excuses for Kirk and the program ... That has to be tiring ... Because folks, this is a bad Iowa football team. Our roster is more along the lines of a UNI ... We got 7 wins last year ... only because of the cupcake schedule. If anyone thinks Iowa football is heading in the right direction and that Kirk is going to get this thing turned around you are completely fooling yourself ... The product on the field is what we are ... not very good ... not very experienced ... too many MAC-level players ... mediocre coaching ... It all points to Kirk ... the one many the koolaid drinkers still dig deep in trying to find excuses. I guarantee you Iowa football will get worse before it gets better ... After last year and this year, the cupcake schedules are gone. And for a coach who could only muster 7 wins against a mediocre schedule ... well ... what do you think happens when PSU, Michigan, and OSU are back on the schedule.

Remember, koolaid drinkers, we got embarrassed by MINNESOTA ... The Gophers! And then Tennessee made us look like a junior college team ... Iowa has lots and lots of problems ... And every year we let Kirk remain on the sideline we make the recovery period that much longer. If Kirk is not gone after this season ... well ... you think fan apathy is bad now ...

A few years ago when Iowa came to West Des Moines the place was packed and you had to get tickets ... This year there were maybe 3,000 fans in an 8,000 seat stadium. I know it was a practice ... but that says a lot about how fans are simply tuning out ... Just wait ... GareBare and the wonderous U of Iowa marketing department will pull out all the stops to get fans to come back ... Why do think Gary wanted the night games? With the hope of bringing fans back ...

It's interesting ... I had season tickets for 10 years and gave them up after the 2012 season ... And not once have I ever been contacted by the University to ask me why ... I work in the world of marketing and communications, and research ... If your fans leave ... you try to win them back ... Or at least understand why they left ... For me, the decision to not renew is because sure, bringing all of my tailgating stuff (tent, grill, etc.) was fun but the various groups I would come over with from Des Moines simply lost interest in going ...

Again, this will get worse before it gets better. You role out 6-win season, lose to ISU ... land in a mediocre bowl ... and see how fans react ... The diehards who just like to go because it's a "vacation" for them ... or the ones who say "careful what you wish for," or "you gotta support the boys on the field..." Blah, blah, blah ... That's why Iowa football is stuck in 2003 ... Because too many fans accept mediocrity ... We're little 'ol Iowa ... Our population base is too small ... Nobody wants to come to Iowa City ... You start telling yourself that often enough and that is what you become ... And that is what we are .. mediocre.

This post was edited on 4/17 9:14 AM by DesMoinesHawki

After playing them in Houston last year.

Wisconsin's OOC the last decade against what I could term major conference teams...

2014 - LSU neutral
2013 - ASU away
2012 - Oregon State away
2011 - Oregon State
2010 - ASU
2007 - Wash St
2005 - NC away

Take away the LSU games and it looks a lot like our OOC. They were able to get Hawaii, Fresno State, UNLV, Northern Illinois...but there was also Wofford, San Jose State, Austin Peay, Utah State, UTEP, Bowling Green, Western Illinois...

Originally posted by MoneyintheBanks:

How would you know?
That was a really, really dumb comment. You may retract it if you wish.

After playing them in Houston last year.

Wisconsin's OOC the last decade against what I could term major conference teams...

2014 - LSU neutral
2013 - ASU away
2012 - Oregon State away
2011 - Oregon State
2010 - ASU
2007 - Wash St
2005 - NC away

Take away the LSU games and it looks a lot like our OOC. They were able to get Hawaii, Fresno State, UNLV, Northern Illinois...but there was also Wofford, San Jose State, Austin Peay, Utah State, UTEP, Bowling Green, Western Illinois...
Take away my uncles balls and he would be my aunt.

Seriously, how do you try to take away the fact they played LSU last year, Alabama this year, and LSU again next year when talking about this? All that while Iowa plays ISU again obviously and Pitt for like the 4th time in 5 years. 2016, Iowa gets stuck with just ISU.

The OCC schedules are not even close to similar.

Going to a bowl game with a 6-6 record is not huge, especially when a few of those wins were against terrible competition. Going 6-6 lands you in some hell hole like Detroit or Shreveport playing in front of 15-20,000 fans. No thanks.

So, yes I would rather watch Iowa play a storied program, even if it would sacrifice bowl eligibility.
It depends upon your definition of "huge," but it's a very big deal. Hawks are fortunate that most of the bowls affiliated with the conference are pretty good. The exception would be Detroit. But however bad the bowl is, it's better than not going to a bowl.....unless you are an elite program, which Iowa is not.

You get the extra practice. You get the bowl experience, which is almost always a good one for the players, if not always for the fans. It's a big selling point to recruits. I think an assistant coach would rather be telling Joe Hotshot Prep that "we played in the Humanitarian Bowl" last year than "we watched all the bowls from home last year."

As to your last comment, that's your right, but your opinion differs from that of most fans and virtually all coaches. One of the first things Fry did when he got to Iowa City was weaken the OOC schedule. Same for Snyder at Kansas State. They realized that beating a bad team is better than losing to a good one.

Thatsfootball...as I have stated many times, it takes two to tango.

1) Just because you wish Iowa would schedule games like this doesn't mean it's possible. You have to have another team willing to enter into an agreement. You have absolutely no proof at all that Iowa has not tried to do this - because that is what the argument is implying.

You're Alabama's AD. Who do you want to play? Iowa, or Wisconsin? Wisconsin please. So, let's talk about playing Iowa anyway. Do you honestly think they are going to agree with anything (if a neutral site isn't possible) other than Iowa coming down there to play them at home?

Again, in Iowa's history - they have never played a regular season game at home or at their place against an SEC team. NEVER.

So...I take it then that you're all for this then? Let's let them get rich at Iowa's expense.

2) you're assuming Iowa's and Wisconsin's situations are exactly the same, which is categorically impossible to be true. Nationally...a series of Wisconsin versus Alabama or LSU versus those two against Iowa...do you honestly believe the TV folks are just going to go hell yeah, sign me up for some of that (in the vacuum you seem to believe is present)?

How many more TV sets does Wisconsin have? Millions?

There are more factors in place than us laymen will ever know. I am not forgiving the program on this, which is the mistake everybody here seems to label Ferentz supporters. Iowa does indeed need to up it's scheduling. I guarantee you, they are trying to do so in some fashion.

What we are seeing is the result of Iowa's historical difficulties in scheduling against these teams in an equitable way to where not only does the big time opponent get what they need, but Iowa does too.

Bowlsby said as much as this before he left. During a halftime talk with Dolph, I think it was late in the season his last year...he said he'd call SEC teams and negotiate for a home and home and ALL they would talk about was single or multiple games at their place.

All I am saying is it's much harder than just saying it needs to be done. And as I have often maintained...Iowa's history states the things the guys believe would happen merely by firing Ferentz or Barta with regards to scheduling simply will not necessarily happen!

How you guys cannot see this astounds me. You want to play a yearly game always at their place, go ahead, that is doable. Just don't come crying to me about Iowa never getting a home game out of it.

I mean, seriously. Why would schools do that, a home and home - or what Wisconsin is doing with the neutral stadiums, one each close to home? What is in it for them when you can get a Wisconsin instead?

If you ask me, Iowa is destined to schedule the Arizona States, the Oregon States, the Pittsburghs, the Arisonas, the Washington/States...teams one can claim are in the same exact pickle Iowa is in. History tells us this, and I see no reason why it would change unless Iowa rips off a 10 year run of say nothing less than 9-10 wins or more seasons...

Like Wisconsin has. And Iowa never has - even under Evy and Hayden.

Just because you say it can happen doesn't make it true.

Thatsfootball...as I have stated many times, it takes two to tango.

1) Just because you wish Iowa would schedule games like this doesn't mean it's possible. You have to have another team willing to enter into an agreement. You have absolutely no proof at all that Iowa has not tried to do this - because that is what the argument is implying.

You're Alabama's AD. Who do you want to play? Iowa, or Wisconsin? Wisconsin please. So, let's talk about playing Iowa anyway. Do you honestly think they are going to agree with anything (if a neutral site isn't possible) other than Iowa coming down there to play them at home?

Again, in Iowa's history - they have never played a regular season game at home or at their place against an SEC team. NEVER.

So...I take it then that you're all for this then? Let's let them get rich at Iowa's expense.

2) you're assuming Iowa's and Wisconsin's situations are exactly the same, which is categorically impossible to be true. Nationally...a series of Wisconsin versus Alabama or LSU versus those two against Iowa...do you honestly believe the TV folks are just going to go hell yeah, sign me up for some of that (in the vacuum you seem to believe is present)?

How many more TV sets does Wisconsin have? Millions?

There are more factors in place than us laymen will ever know. I am not forgiving the program on this, which is the mistake everybody here seems to label Ferentz supporters. Iowa does indeed need to up it's scheduling. I guarantee you, they are trying to do so in some fashion.

What we are seeing is the result of Iowa's historical difficulties in scheduling against these teams in an equitable way to where not only does the big time opponent get what they need, but Iowa does too.

Bowlsby said as much as this before he left. During a halftime talk with Dolph, I think it was late in the season his last year...he said he'd call SEC teams and negotiate for a home and home and ALL they would talk about was single or multiple games at their place.

All I am saying is it's much harder than just saying it needs to be done. And as I have often maintained...Iowa's history states the things the guys believe would happen merely by firing Ferentz or Barta with regards to scheduling simply will not necessarily happen!

How you guys cannot see this astounds me. You want to play a yearly game always at their place, go ahead, that is doable. Just don't come crying to me about Iowa never getting a home game out of it.

I mean, seriously. Why would schools do that, a home and home - or what Wisconsin is doing with the neutral stadiums, one each close to home? What is in it for them when you can get a Wisconsin instead?

If you ask me, Iowa is destined to schedule the Arizona States, the Oregon States, the Pittsburghs, the Arisonas, the Washington/States...teams one can claim are in the same exact pickle Iowa is in. History tells us this, and I see no reason why it would change unless Iowa rips off a 10 year run of say nothing less than 9-10 wins or more seasons...

Like Wisconsin has. And Iowa never has - even under Evy and Hayden.

Just because you say it can happen doesn't make it true.

BS, you don't have to schedule an Alabama, Florida, LSU. They wouldn't do a home and home. But you contact South Carolina, Ole Miss, Tennessee. These are the teams you have a better shot of a home and home arrangement with.

How would you know?
Actually I was just doing it to be stupid anyway, but if you're going to be salty about it...I'll pepper it on.

I'm sure you're painfully aware of this, but Ricky Stanzi has as many bowl wins as ISU.

Iowa has more bowl W's than ISU has appearances (14 W's to 12 overall)

And Bowl game winning percentages? Iowa .500 Isu...not so much .250

January 1st (or later) Bowl games (the cool ones) Iowa-8 ISU- (-1) (kidding) 0 and this is excluding Iowa's outback bowls and the TaxSlayer fiasco.

In the last 15 years Iowa has 6 bowl wins to ISU's 3.

Given the fact that I was trying to make a pretty lame joke, you can call it immature, but a 'really, really, dumb comment'? Old man, cmon. IN a couple years things will be right as rain in Ft. Kinnick, and we'll be back in the picture for decent bowl victories. But go ahead and take advantage of the Universities down years and spend some time on the board, just don't expect to win very many arguments.

This post was edited on 4/17 11:25 AM by MoneyintheBanks

How would you know?
Actually I was just doing it to be stupid anyway, but if you're going to be salty about it...I'll pepper it on.

I'm sure you're painfully aware of this, but Ricky Stanzi has as many bowl wins as ISU.

Iowa has more bowl W's than ISU has appearances (14 W's to 12 overall)

And Bowl game winning percentages? Iowa .500 Isu...not so much .250

January 1st (or later) Bowl games (the cool ones) Iowa-8 ISU- (-1) (kidding) 0 and this is excluding Iowa's outback bowls and the TaxSlayer fiasco.

In the last 15 years Iowa has 6 bowl wins to ISU's 3.

Given the fact that I was trying to make a pretty lame joke, you can call it immature, but a 'really, really, dumb comment'? Old man, cmon. IN a couple years things will be right as rain in Ft. Kinnick, and we'll be back in the picture for decent bowl victories. But go ahead and take advantage of the Universities down years and spend some time on the board, just don't expect to win very many arguments.

This post was edited on 4/17 11:25 AM by MoneyintheBanks
You honestly don't understand the issue. I suspect you didn't even read my post; you just saw an ISU fan posting about a bowl game, and let your imagination run wild.

I said it was a really, really dumb comment. I will amend that. It was a really, really, REALLY dumb comment.

Last chance to say "oops" and retract.

Iowa will not solve the weak non-conference issue until it gets rid of the albatross that is the ISU series. That series gives us little wiggle room in scheduling and puts a bottom feeder team on our schedule annually.

Now, you can all debate the losing to ISU, we're not a good program right now, etc. But the subject is Iowa's poor non-conference scheduling and I am providing a reason it will not get better, unless ISU somehow becomes nationally prominant which isn't going to happen.

Swag,

How do you know they haven't already done that?

Say Barta calls the teams you listed there. They turn him down for everything other than home games for them.

What do you do now? You're Gary Barta. How do you make a team schedule you for an equitable exchange of games?

Or, do you...because dammit we have to make the schedule harder no matter what...do you continuously throw a home game away every year and play down there very year against somebody?

Guys, freaking Minnesota was able to get a home and home with USC. Don't tell me that Iowa can't negotiate a home and home with a Tennessee, Arkansas, Miami, Texas A&M, Oregon, etc.

Swag,

Say Barta calls the teams you listed there. They turn him down for everything other than home games for them.

What do you do now? You're Gary Barta. How do you make a team schedule you for an equitable exchange of games?

Or, do you...because dammit we have to make the schedule harder no matter what...do you continuously throw a home game away every year and play down there very year against somebody?
How do we know? Because we aren't playing one of those teams. Because those teams would be jumping at the chance to play Iowa right now. Iowa is a down power 5 conference team. If you beat Iowa, then it's a better win than beating Northeastern Alabama State or a MAC Program. You're team can feel pretty good about that win. No one is scared to play Iowa. Half the teams in the FBS could have beaten Iowa last year. That's how we know.

Here are some other teams Iowa could schedule:

North Carolina
NCST
Virginia
VaTech
KSU
Missouri
Vanderbilt
Oklahoma State
Any PAC 12 team-History proves they schedule Iowa for a home and away.

A top program? Please... Right now, it's a guaranteed win at home and on the road. They would probably pay Iowa to come play them.

Maybe you're delusional. I don't know. You're argument doesn't hold water at all. Teams like Pitt, ASU and Syracuse scheduling Iowa kills your argument. The truth is that teams are willing to schedule Iowa. That is one thing that history proves.

Swag,

Say Barta calls the teams you listed there. They turn him down for everything other than home games for them.

Apparently we are in such a special situation no one else in the country fits into this category. I'm guessing Barta hasn't tried, and you know what I'm pretty sure he is feeling his seat a little warm as well.

We don't know that, swag.

Hey...if we change AD's and suddenly we get home and homes with every team you list, I'll eat my words.

And no swag...most the schools in the power 5 have the exact same issue we do. Just look at their schedules.

Originally posted by swagsurfer02:

BS, you don't have to schedule an Alabama, Florida, LSU. They wouldn't do a home and home. But you contact South Carolina, Ole Miss, Tennessee. These are the teams you have a better shot of a home and home arrangement with.
Swag, this year Ole Miss plays Tennessee-Martin, Fresno State, N.Mexico State and Memphis. They aren't playing those schools because they couldn't get a BiG team on the schedule.

Boise State has a home and home with Florida State in 2019 and 2020. How did a MWC team from Boise, Idaho negotiate a home and home with a blue blood from the Southeast?

This post was edited on 4/17 3:34 PM by hoks2415

Purdue negotiated a home and home with Virginia Tech. Iowa can't do that I guess.

Rutgers has a future home and home with Miami. I guess there is just no way Iowa could get Miami to play in Kinnick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT