ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa ranked 55th in Non Con Scheduling

Maryland has a series with Texas. One game at Texas and one game at Landover, Maryland.

FL = NM State, East Carolina, FAU, FSU (In state rivalry)
GA = LA Monroe, Southern, GA Southern, GA Tech (In state rivalry)
KY = LA Lafayette, Eastern KY, Charlotte (?), Louisville (In state rivalry)
MO = SE MO St, Ark St, UConn, BYU
S Car = UNC, UCF, The Citadel, Clemson (In state rivalry)
Tenn = Bowling Green, Oklahoma, W Carolina, North TX
Vandy = W Kentucky, Austin Peay, M Tenn St, Houston
Bama = Wisconsin, M Tenn St, LA Monroe, Charleston Southern
Ark = UTEP, Toledo, TX Tech, Tenn-Martin
Auburn = Louisville, Jacksonville St, San Jose St, Idaho
LSU = McNeese St, Syracuse, Eastern Michigan, W Kentucky
Miss St - Southern Miss, NW State LA, Troy, LA Tech
Ole Miss = Tenn Martin, Fresno St, Memphis, NM State
TA&M - ASU, Ball State, Nevada, W Carolina

I'd say Louisville, LA Monroe, NM State, Western Carolina, and Western Kentucky have tougher non-cons that EVERY team listed here.

To say this is an Iowa problem only is simply not true. If the big bad ol' SEC is having issues, then everybody is.

To answer the question about being gary barta and everybosy turning you down. The answer is simple, call more teams. Enough excuses.

Originally posted by bagdropper:

FL = NM State, East Carolina, FAU, FSU (In state rivalry)
GA = LA Monroe, Southern, GA Southern, GA Tech (In state rivalry)
KY = LA Lafayette, Eastern KY, Charlotte (?), Louisville (In state rivalry)
MO = SE MO St, Ark St, UConn, BYU
S Car = UNC, UCF, The Citadel, Clemson (In state rivalry)
Tenn = Bowling Green, Oklahoma, W Carolina, North TX
Vandy = W Kentucky, Austin Peay, M Tenn St, Houston
Bama = Wisconsin, M Tenn St, LA Monroe, Charleston Southern
Ark = UTEP, Toledo, TX Tech, Tenn-Martin
Auburn = Louisville, Jacksonville St, San Jose St, Idaho
LSU = McNeese St, Syracuse, Eastern Michigan, W Kentucky
Miss St - Southern Miss, NW State LA, Troy, LA Tech
Ole Miss = Tenn Martin, Fresno St, Memphis, NM State
TA&M - ASU, Ball State, Nevada, W Carolina

I'd say Louisville, LA Monroe, NM State, Western Carolina, and Western Kentucky have tougher non-cons that EVERY team listed here.

To say this is an Iowa problem only is simply not true. If the big bad ol' SEC is having issues, then everybody is.
The big bad ol' SEC isn't having issues. Some (not all of them) purposely take the path of least resistance because they do not have Purdue, Indiana, Rutgers, Northwestern, Illinois, and, unfortunately now, Iowa to beat up on in conference. That isn't to say we couldn't be the Louisville in Auburn's schedule, UNC in SC's schedule, or Oklahoma in Tenn's schedule (obviously not a great comparison, as Oklahoma is far superior to us).

The only way across football this gets resolved is if we lose the NCAA and the power 5 mandate playing only each other, and an NFL style central scheduling is implemented.

I would be absolutely positively 100% behind that. it would destroy smaller time football...but we don't give a crap about that, do we?

Hok, Virginia tech is on the same level as pitt, and the other two games, pls minnesota are major markets and/or recruiting grounds.

Originally posted by SDHawkDoc:
Iowa is playing as good a schedule as it can handle for now. Maybe even too good.
This is the correct answer. Ferentz would get out coached even if he was going against Simpson or Upper Iowa.

Originally posted by hawkeyesports92:

Iowa is playing as good a schedule as it can handle for now. Maybe even too good.
This is the correct answer. Ferentz would get out coached even if he was going against Simpson or Upper Iowa.
So if the broadcast crew announcing the game ever says "credit Kirk Ferentz and staff for the gameplan they had today", they're lying?.....

Huh, never occurred to me that this was the case. Oh well.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

Originally posted by swagsurfer02:

BS, you don't have to schedule an Alabama, Florida, LSU. They wouldn't do a home and home. But you contact South Carolina, Ole Miss, Tennessee. These are the teams you have a better shot of a home and home arrangement with.
Posted from Rivals Mobile
Swag, this year Ole Miss plays Tennessee-Martin, Fresno State, N.Mexico State and Memphis. They aren't playing those schools because they couldn't get a BiG team on the schedule.

Look at the other teams Ole Miss is playing and get back to me
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Guys that are making excuses for the football program right now need to remember Iowa is 13th in the B1G at non con scheduling right now. If Iowa wants to be viewed as a top 6 or 7 program in the B1G we can't have such a sally non con. The program needs to market its program better.

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyInTheCloset:
Originally posted by hawkeyesports92:

So if the broadcast crew announcing the game ever says "credit Kirk Ferentz and staff for the gameplan they had today", they're lying?.....

Huh, never occurred to me that this was the case. Oh well.
You would think Beth and Joey know what they are talking about. Deal with it

This post was edited on 4/20 3:05 PM by hawkeyesports92

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Originally posted by Auger:
Guys that are making excuses for the football program right now need to remember Iowa is 13th in the B1G at non con scheduling right now. If Iowa wants to be viewed as a top 6 or 7 program in the B1G we can't have such a sally non con. The program needs to market its program better.
We have to keep the weak OOC schedule to have a chance at bowl eligibility with the current coaches.

Do you know how long its been since we have heard "credit kf for a great gameplan? " serious question I could be wrong but I dont have one from last year that stands out.

Scheduling non-conference games sucks. It needs to be restructured so you don't have to do it 10 years out. But, I would rather see better teams scheduled than what Iowa has right now.
If Baylor hadn't played SMU, Northwestern State, and Buffalo ooc last year, they would have been in the College Football Playoff.
Anyway, It's 4:20 on 4/20.

Originally posted by HAWK-N-402 (4):
Do you know how long its been since we have heard "credit kf for a great gameplan? " serious question I could be wrong but I dont have one from last year that stands out.
Maybe against Indiana
laugh.r191677.gif

It's really pretty simple math folks. Iowa wants 7 home games. With an 8 game conference schedule, that yields 4 conference home games, 4 conference away games and 4 other games. That means that 3 of the four non-con games have to be at home. One is Iowa State (apparently forever and ever amen), so every other year that's away. That leaves room for one other home/home with a major conference team and two opponents that are willing to play here with no reciprocal game at their home. That's what we've done....non con of ISU, home and home with another major conference team (AZ, ASU, Pitt, Syracuse, etc.) and two of the best quality teams that will play here with no game in their stadium. That's more than most SEC teams and, prior to the most recent few years, Wisconsin did.

With 9 conference games it gets worse. With a home and home vs ISU and 5 away conference games every year we lose the flexibility to play another home/home series. In the years we have 5 away conference games and 4 at home, we need three home games out of three non-con: that's ISU and two who won't demand a game a their stadium. In the years we have 5 conf. and home and 4 away, we need 2 out of three at home. The one not at home will be ISU. That, again, leaves two teams that will play at Kinnick with no game at their stadium.

So, here's the foreseeable future for non-con:

ISU (alternating there and here as always)
2 mac level or worse teams that will play at kinnick with no return game at their stadium.

Rinse and repeat.

You can whine, you can complain, but that's the simple economics. Many would like to drop ISU entirely or at least cut back to open the non-con options, but Barta has said it ain't happening.

Yet here we are again with people whining about our schedule....even though we've done more than many marquee teams and and there's virtually no chance it'll change.

Even if we add another game to the season, you're still not going to get 'Bama, Oklahoma, Texas, ND, etc to play a home and home with us unless we get a better national rep. Even then, there's little here for a recruiting base so for the most part they simply aren't interested.

It's not that hard to understand, but more whining and stomping of feet in a childlike temper tantrum is sure to help.....

Hwk-ISt8 gets it. Complain to Barta. The ISU series needs to be dropped entirely or amended to 2 on 2 off or some other configuration than home/home every single year. If not, once the BIG goes to 9 conference games you will NEVER see another Power 5 school in Kinnick EVER again. It will be Conference Games, ISU, MAC, FCS on every schedule from here on out. Iowa has proven in the past, and can easily do so again, the ability to schedule quality P5 games against PAC and ACC schools (see Pitt, Syracuse, Zona, etc). We're not talking ND, Bama, or Oklahoma every season, just some quality variety.

Here's the thing, most Iowa fans are not like us, message board warriors, they will not notice this until about 3 -4 years into it and then wonder why we never play anyone other than ISU. By that time schedules will be set for the next 5 years or so. That means you can look forward to ISU, MAC, FCS for the next decade or more unless something changes now and our AD learns some foresight (God help us there).

non conference strength of schedule has nothing to do with whether Iowa will be good or not. Look at Baylor and some of the SEC non cons.

• We frequently schedule 2 BCS non-conference teams in the same year.
  • When your instate rival is ISU, your non-con SoS is going to take a beatin'.
  • A mid 50's non-con SoS ranking isn't that bad on a national scale.
I would like to see us play better quality teams. But, I fear the trajectory of the program would mean tougher teams would equal losses. At this time, we need every win we can get to remain bowl eligible for more practice time. Not that ISU or Directional Michigan are guaranteed W's

Iowa will not solve the weak non-conference issue until it gets rid of the albatross that is the ISU series. That series gives us little wiggle room in scheduling and puts a bottom feeder team on our schedule annually.

Now, you can all debate the losing to ISU, we're not a good program right now, etc. But the subject is Iowa's poor non-conference scheduling and I am providing a reason it will not get better, unless ISU somehow becomes nationally prominant which isn't going to happen.

Setting aside the getting beat by ISU more often than not under Ferentz, if the problem is trying to get a tougher schedule...how does it make sense to drop what is often the ONLY P5 team on your non-con schedule? Wouldn't it be smarter to drop one of the medium schools or the 1AA schools on the schedule and find another P5 matchup? That said, it would be very foolish to make it harder to get to a bowl game...you can build your SOS against conference teams if that's the issue.

Maybe fans would like to see something else other than ISU, MAC, FCS, rinse, repeat, recycle every single year. When the BIG goes to 9 games the only P5 team we will be playing is ISU, that's it, unless the need to have a certain number of home games changes, which I doubt.

The only answer is for power 5 schools to be able to schedule other schools from power 5 conferences.

This has little chance of happening, but you would see some killer games inside Kinnick, especially now since we are down. Top teams would be lining up to play us.

How is a school like Ksu able to play a series with schools like Auburn (Thurs nite game) Miami and Southern Cal? All 3 of these teams were willing to play in Manhattan,KS. Was it a 2 for 1 type scenario?

The only answer is for power 5 schools to be able to schedule other schools from power 5 conferences.

This has little chance of happening, but you would see some killer games inside Kinnick, especially now since we are down. Top teams would be lining up to play us.

So drop all the MAC and FCS games and have a full schedule of P5 games? Will not happen as most P5 schools need to schedule as many home games as possible due to the finances of college athletics and the financial impact on the local community.

Right now we schedule home/home ISU, home/home P5, MAC, FCS, BIG. When the BIG goes to 9 game schedule the P5 game will be gone and we will be left with ISU, MAC, FCS. For economic purposes, buying home games with MAC and FCS is not going away, the only place to give on this future schedule is the ISU series, which is going to need to go to a 2 on 2 off schedule. Otherwise we will never see another P5 school on the schedule again.

How is a school like Ksu able to play a series with schools like Auburn (Thurs nite game) Miami and Southern Cal? All 3 of these teams were willing to play in Manhattan,KS. Was it a 2 for 1 type scenario?

They are not locked into a non-conference game against an in-state school. If KU was in the Mountain West (or BIG) than KSU would be in the same boat as us.

So drop all the MAC and FCS games and have a full schedule of P5 games? Will not happen as most P5 schools need to schedule as many home games as possible due to the finances of college athletics and the financial impact on the local community.

Right now we schedule home/home ISU, home/home P5, MAC, FCS, BIG. When the BIG goes to 9 game schedule the P5 game will be gone and we will be left with ISU, MAC, FCS. For economic purposes, buying home games with MAC and FCS is not going away, the only place to give on this future schedule is the ISU series, which is going to need to go to a 2 on 2 off schedule. Otherwise we will never see another P5 school on the schedule again.

Forgive my ignorance, when do we go to this 9 game conference schedule?

Yeah, we suck at football, so let's make the schedule as difficult as possible.

Brilliant idea.

Well by your logic since we ALREADY suck at football and we play a WEAK schedule…..why not play more high profile games. Assuming we continue to suck (at least by perception) we would look better because we would continue to suck against better/more high profile programs.

Also here is a news flash: GREAT PLAYERS WANT TO PLAY IN BIG GAMES

It amazes me that people don’t realize that a part of the reason we struggle to recruit better talent is maybe because our recruits take a look at the schedules they would be playing at Iowa and vomit. “Hey Mr. 4 star recruit….can we interest you in playing 11 am games against Northern Illinois, North Dakota State, UNI, etc etc etc”????

They will struggle with Illinois State and Iowa State this year. I don't think they need to worry about scheduling a top 25 non con game. Maybe if they were a top 15 team that would make sense.

Iowa ranks 55th in Non Conference scheduling over the next 5 years and ranks 13th in the B1G. If Iowa Football is going to improve Iowa needs to schedule better non conference games and improve their national image. On a side note only one SEC team made the top 20. Pretty sad coming from the conference many say is the best.
Playing a tougher schedule does not equate to improving. It just gives you a higher SOS ranking. I really don't give a flip what people in Arizona think about football here.

Starting after this season, the only way Iowa will ever schedule another BCS-level team outside of Iowa State is if they're willing to sacrifice a home game. Either that or the Big Ten gets rid of the 9-game schedule.

Iowa won't get another major-level program unless they're also willing to travel, or they get a one-off/neutral site deal, which is also essentially giving up a home game.

I don't think fans would mind this so much, but the school wants the money, and you can't really blame them when that is the way the vast majority of schools operate. (Hell some even get 8 home games every other year.....Ohio State.....just sayin).

And I want to make this clear, that I'm only telling you what obstacle the university is facing. Not whether or not they should go that route. That, I leave up to you fellas.

But anyway, starting in 2016 Iowa will be playing 10 of 12 games against power-conference opponents.

If you want Iowa to play big time teams on the road every season, by all means, write the schedule.

For a goddam decade, threads like this are and continue to be utterly idiotic.

It takes 2 to tango. And the economics of modern day CFB means you have to have home and home series to even have a hope to make money.

No upper class non-con series will ever get signed for a home and home with Iowa because it hampers their budgets also. What you will see is more of the one-off games early in the year at neutral sites...but again, it's all about how much money you want to lose by scheduling them.

Say a neutral with Texas? Sure...if it's in Houston or Dallas. Kansas City? Not a chance in hell. Georgia? Yeah sure...if it's in Atlanta. Florida Gators? Of course they will, Tampa's NFL stadium would love to host us.

Iowa will most likely be destined for more H&H series with the Pittsburghs of the CFB world than ever before if the economics stay the same. And from the looks of it, those are even getting tougher to schedule. They're in the exact same boat as us.

But like I say...go ahead and call any SEC team you want...just so you know, Iowa to my knowledge has never played a home or away game with an SEC team in program history. The ACC? I believe a few games from the 60's and farther back with NC State and Wake Forest (maybe)...handful at most. Last B12 (not ISU) I believe was K-State in the early stages of Snyder's era and maybe the H&H with Nebby early in Kirk's.

But since the schedule snobs say it's possible, what the hell do I know.
Wisconsin played LSU last year and play them in Green Bay this year.THAT is what we need to do instead of Illinois St or MAC teams.

ADVERTISEMENT