ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs USA

overeasy

HR Legend
Jan 28, 2004
16-10 Iowa with 4 matches left. Parmely got a major. Joseph & Kemmerer last two matches. Kemmerer takes on Thomsen in the finale.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Ok...what do I know. There were 15 total matches. ..not 12 like I thought. USA up 30-19 going into the last match.

Kemerer will be fine. A year in the room and Thomsen will not touch Kemerer in college. Mark my words.

I was pulling for Kemerer but kudos to Thomsen. Kemerer's gotta get to his own shots and lose a couple pounds of cement in his shoes.

Final results, as announced on the live feed--I may be off on the score on a couple.

170 - Hoschlag over Entzel 1-0
182 - Moore MD Hansen 15-6
195 - Wilcke dec Johnson 3-2?
195 - Steveson dec Holloway 8-6
220 - Parmely dec Nino
285 - Orndorff dec Pena 6-3
113 - Doebel dec Furseth 5-2
120 - Schwarm dec Pepple 6-0
126 - Seipel dec Hellickson 10-4
132 - Brock MD Glynn 17-4
138 - Krivus dec Wenger 7-2
145 - Moran TF Meyer 18-3
152 - Joseph TF Straw 25-10
160 - Steiert dec Shields 3-2
145 - Thomsen dec Kemerer 6-4

Originally posted by TarpHawk:
I was pulling for Kemerer but kudos to Thomsen. Kemerer's gotta get to his own shots and lose a couple pounds of cement in his shoes.
I agree with the cement shoes, but Kemerer was in on the winning shot that was stopped for potentially dangerous. I thought they had about the same amount of offense. Great job out of Thomsen, he has gone from being blown out by Kemerer to losing respectably to outright beating him in a year. Would not be shocked to see Thomsen AA as a freshman the way he is going- 149 will be there for the taking.

Originally posted by TS568:
Originally posted by TarpHawk:
I agree with the cement shoes, but Kemerer was in on the winning shot that was stopped for potentially dangerous. I thought they had about the same amount of offense. Great job out of Thomsen, he has gone from being blown out by Kemerer to losing respectably to outright beating him in a year. Would not be shocked to see Thomsen AA as a freshman the way he is going- 149 will be there for the taking.
I would be very very shocked to see him AA as a freshman. Winning 1 out of 3 matches vs a high school kid does not mean much for being an AA. They went 9-4 at Suoer 32 and 6-3 at Dapper Dan. None of the matches were blow outs and Thomsen winning on his home turf in a close one was certainly not out of the question.

Surprised no one has mentioned that Wilcke wrestled and beat a kid ranked ahead of him in the national rankings.

Is that the same shields that AM just beat? He's kind of in a free fall isn't he?

Really thought Chase Straw would put up a better fight against Joseph. Cannot believe how easily Joseph scored on Straw. Joseph has the potential to be a great one in college.

Holloway has visited UNI and Ohio U. He mentioned that Ohio U felt like a small town which he liked. Also mentioned B1G has some awesome facilities but don't know where he was talking about Or why. UNI has 2 Mepo guys in Drain and Foster so that could play in but your guess is as good as anyone's. In a Burlington Hawk Eye article he mentioned ISU as well.

Johnson is only ranked ahead of Wilcke by Wrestling USA. He's not ranked in the top 20 at 195 by Flo or Intermat. (Wilcke is no longer ranked in the top 20 by Flo either.) It was a good win by Wilcke, but not like he knocked off Benick.

I hope the Iowa coaches know what they are doing with 197. Lets face it the state of Iowa has not prooduced a ton of upper weight talent out of high school and to seemingly not go after a top 10 197 pounder like Holloway seems very puzzling to me.

I agree with MVP. Someone mentioned Drain and Foster being at UNI potentionally playing a role on his decision. I would think having a current teammate, classmate and probably good friend headed to Iowa would play a bigger role.

Another "slow" kid being recruited? Good lord.

We need more athletes, plain and simple. Next year we need to recruit Mark Hall, Rudy Yates and Isaiah White hard. Then after that go after Spencer Lee. We get that foundation and the pieces will fall. Penn State, Ohio State, and Okie State aren't going anywhere and it's time to adapt or die.

Originally posted by depelland:
Really thought Chase Straw would put up a better fight against Joseph. Cannot believe how easily Joseph scored on Straw. Joseph has the potential to be a great one in college.

Straw isn't even ranked in the top 20 of his weight by InterMat and Joseph majored Stroker (#2 at 145) at Dapper Dan. I wasn't expecting it to be close.

Originally posted by pumpdog20:
Is that the same shields that AM just beat? He's kind of in a free fall isn't he?

Marinelli beat him and being the top ranked guy he was not an underdog. Then Shields lost a one point match to the #6(?) 160 guy - who's one of the biggest bloomers in the 2015 class.

I wouldn't call it a free fall. He's losing matches to tough guys. Just my take.

Originally posted by xjohnx:

Originally posted by MVPFAN:
Impressed with Holloway going that close with the #2 guy.
Anyone know where Holloway plans to go to college?
Andy Hamilton tweeted that he has narrowed it down to UNI, Iowa and Indiana.

Kemerer is a 4x PA finalist, 4x super 32 finalist. I did not see this most recent match but he has looked plenty athletic enough in other matches I have seen . He went OT with Joseph in last years finals before getting countered on his own move and getting pinned. He started as a 103 pounder. I just can't see someone do what he has at lower weights if they were that "slow footed" I know the PA season lasted like 3 weeks longer than ours and then he was right into Dapper Dan and then right into AGON and then back to Iowa again for this match. I am guessing he could use a bit of R&R and might be tired out some at this point.

I agree 100% about needing better athletes moving foreward,

This post was edited on 4/12 7:58 PM by MVPFAN

Originally posted by clhawks00:

Originally posted by xjohnx:

Impressed with Holloway going that close with the #2 guy.
Anyone know where Holloway plans to go to college?
Andy Hamilton tweeted that he has narrowed it down to UNI, Iowa and Indiana.
Great to hear we are in the mix. I really hope we can do what is needed to get him. He is a very athletic 197 prospect who would be much in the Mcintosh mold but he is bigger to start with.

Holloway is a brawler type with a very high motor from what I saw at state. He was as tough a wrestler as I watched at state also. I believe he wrestled the kid from Denver-Tripoli and just kept going at him non stop for all 6 minutes.

I agree and I think he's by far the best guy we got in this class. That worries me. In the past two years Cael has gotten Nolf, Nickal, Nevills, and now Joseph plus I hear Rasheed is supposed to be a hammer. Who has Iowa got besides Kem? Nobody I think who has the potential to be a NC. T&T are good enough to develop guys into low AAs, why not bring in those after you've gotten the big dogs.

I know I'm nitpicking here but hey we are Iowa fans and its national title or bust year in and year out.

Originally posted by DayHawk18:
I agree and I think he's by far the best guy we got in this class. That worries me. In the past two years Cael has gotten Nolf, Nickal, Nevills, and now Joseph plus I hear Rasheed is supposed to be a hammer. Who has Iowa got besides Kem? Nobody I think who has the potential to be a NC. T&T are good enough to develop guys into low AAs, why not bring in those after you've gotten the big dogs.

I know I'm nitpicking here but hey we are Iowa fans and its national title or bust year in and year out.
Great points. Our best recruit the past 2 years is a tad below Joseph who is their 4th best, maybe 5th if the Raheed guy pans out. Stoll is probably about where Kemerer is. I think Turk has some potential but certainly not in the same area code coming out as the PSU guys. It has been a while since we have had a guy you look at and think man I can't wait until this dude gets in the lineup and starts kicking some ass. We signed a lot of bodies this class but I can only see Kemerer as a guy who could help early on with Turk as a maybe if he goes 141 and really steps up. The rest are most likely down the road guys with a few who are just plain not likely to ever see the lineup. Yes we need those guys in the room and yes sometimes one will blow up and be great but hoping for that kind of thing is not going to win titles. Based on need and rank Holloway would be our second best guy this class. No top 10 overall with Kemerer being close to top 10 and the only top 20 overall,. He is the only top 50 overall even.

100% agree. I am by no means short changing any of the guys we signed because they have to be very good wrestlers. I think getting Holloway and Downey would be an excellent problem to have. We need more competition at the weights where we will be weaker after Burak. The fact that a hurt nick moore was by far our best option at 165 was a disgrace (not a shot at nick either and I really feel for him).

Now imagine a lineup with Spencer Lee, Rudy Yates, Kemmerer, Isaiah White, Marinelli and Mark Hall. I got excited just thinking about that. That's 6 potential NC's or high AA's. That's what wins titles. Having Dolloway/Downey and Turk and Stoll potentially developing into AAs just makes us that much more formidable in both duals and tournaments. Then after we bring those guys in we recruit those guys who are good partners in the room and maybe one or if we are lucky two of them develop more than we expected.

Everyone knows the State of Iowa produces less high end recruits as the "big two" (Pennsylvania and Ohio). While I don't think either of those States has better youth coaching, those two States are in the top 10 in the country for overall population and it is a numbers game to a certain extent. When you look at per capita numbers, Iowa produces a sensationally high number of quality wrestlers, but that does not help when it comes to recruiting. I mean that is all well and good, but no one is giving out a "per-capita" National Championship For this reason, I personally believe Iowa HAS to land all the top in State recruits. Then of course go get some studs from the East, which Iowa has and will continue to do in order to win championships.

I have always broken down recruits into three categories. Top 10, Top 20, and Top 35. For this tabulation I used top 35 recruits on DICW.

In the last 5 years the State of Iowa has produced 8 top recruits, of those Iowa has only managed to get 3 on their wrestling team. 3 out of 8.....37%

Meanwhile, Ohio has produced 19 top recruits and Ohio State managed to get 10 on their team..........52%

Then you have Pennsylvania which has produced 38 top recruits and Penn State has landed 9.........23%

Top 10 recruits

Iowa- 1.....and he went to Iowa State not Iowa.....0%
Ohio- 5.....and tOSU landed 4.....80%
Penn- 11.....and PSU has landed 5 of them.....45%

Now aside from State of birth and just top 10 recruits in the last 5 years (so eligible to wrestle next year). 50 total top 10 recruits obviously.

Iowa- 1 (Kemerer)
Ohio State- 9
Penn State- 8
Oklahoma St- 4
Michigan- 4
Illinois- 3
Arizona St.- 3
Northwestern- 2
Minnesota- 2
Wisconsin- 2
Cornell- 2
Virgina Tech- 2
Lehigh- 2
Iowa St- 1
Princeton- 1
Stanford- 1
Missouri- 1
Rutgers- 1

Think about this for a minute, same number of blue chip recruits as Stanford, Princeton, Rutgers, and Missouri.

Great points. Our best recruit the past 2 years is a tad below Joseph who is their 4th best, maybe 5th if the Raheed guy pans out. Stoll is probably about where Kemerer is. I think Turk has some potential but certainly not in the same area code coming out as the PSU guys. It has been a while since we have had a guy you look at and think man I can't wait until this dude gets in the lineup and starts kicking some ass. We signed a lot of bodies this class but I can only see Kemerer as a guy who could help early on with Turk as a maybe if he goes 141 and really steps up. The rest are most likely down the road guys with a few who are just plain not likely to ever see the lineup. Yes we need those guys in the room and yes sometimes one will blow up and be great but hoping for that kind of thing is not going to win titles. Based on need and rank Holloway would be our second best guy this class. No top 10 overall with Kemerer being close to top 10 and the only top 20 overall,. He is the only top 50 overall even.
Couple things, even if Iowa signed Holloway, Wilcke is still A) ranked higher than Holloway in the same weight class rankings and B) Wilcke is considered a top 100 recruit, Holloway is not. I would be all for getting Holloway, but Wilcke is the second best recruit for 2015 in this scenario.

Second, right now D1collegewrestling.net has Kemerer as a #10 ranked recruit and last year Stoll was #14 (this is more or less to the response you quoted). Also, when you get to the 50+ range it's more of a "tier". So Wilcke being ranked #62 means the talent gap between the #50 and 62 is far less than say the #10 and #22 guy. He might not be ranked #50, but in reality the sepration between him and some of the guys in the 40s probably isn't all that big. Part of the reason could be that Wilcke is a good football player, and hasn't had a chance to go to all the national tournaments like the guys ahead of him.

Iowa is coming off a season where they had two #1 ranked recruiting classes in the lineup, kind of hard to sign multple blue chips in every class when you have that much talent already in the room.

Originally posted by HawkTalk3:

Couple things, even if Iowa signed Holloway, Wilcke is still A) ranked higher than Holloway in the same weight class rankings and B) Wilcke is considered a top 100 recruit, Holloway is not. I would be all for getting Holloway, but Wilcke is the second best recruit for 2015 in this scenario.

Second, right now D1collegewrestling.net has Kemerer as a #10 ranked recruit and last year Stoll was #14 (this is more or less to the response you quoted). Also, when you get to the 50+ range it's more of a "tier". So Wilcke being ranked #62 means the talent gap between the #50 and 62 is far less than say the #10 and #22 guy. He might not be ranked #50, but in reality the sepration between him and some of the guys in the 40s probably isn't all that big. Part of the reason could be that Wilcke is a good football player, and hasn't had a chance to go to all the national tournaments like the guys ahead of him.

Iowa is coming off a season where they had two #1 ranked recruiting classes in the lineup, kind of hard to sign multple blue chips in every class when you have that much talent already in the room.
D1collegewrestling has not updated their ranking since August so that does not do much for me. Intermat was updated January 23rd which is still a bit old for my taste but certainly better than August. True per the march 25th intermat weight class ranking Wilke is #9 and Holloway #10. However since that ranking Wilke lost to an unranked kid from Wisconsin at USA folk and a win over the #18 at 197 at USA folk. Also a win in Iowa vs USA vs unranked at 197 Johnson. Holloway lost 8-6 to the #2 guy at 197 #8 overall. They are pretty close and Holloway could easily be ranked higher on a new ranking. The key though is Holloway is a 197 and Wilke is not which is why I said Holloway would be second best based on need. We need a 197 more than a 184 right now. Wilke is behind Brooks and Bowman at 184 who handled him last year at Fargo. Holloway behind 2 seniors (I don't like redshirting Burak if we plan on being a contender next year).

I agree that guys ranked at #40 to #50 or lower are fairly similar. We have too many of these guys and not enough impact guys. I don't put a whole lot into class ranking, sure we had two "#1" ranked classes but results have differed and really they often rank high based on quantity or how they appear to fit into a teams needs. Bottom line is getting people who will AA for you, preferably high AA. The 2010 class was #1 and was a flop by that ranking (to be fair the top 10 ranked classes that year most all did not pan out very well). We had 7 guys, 2 quit, 5 were starters with only 2 being AA Evans x3 and Telford x3. 6 AAs total with a 4th from Telford the highest. Minny had the most AAs with Ness, Dardanes twins and Schiller. OSU got a ton of mileage from Steiber with 4x#1. For 2011 class what we get from Grothus next year will be the it. the 2012 class was the best class Brands has had since being at Iowa (was not at iowa for Metcalf etc.) The 2012 class was ranked #1 and is living up to it. It has 5 AAs with 2 years left for all but Burak. Skon jumped ship and was #8, Gilman #10, Brooks #14, Clark #15, Meyer #49. Burak not ranked coming from OTC. Carton could be a starter next year. 4 top 20 guys to start, add in Meyer and 5 top 50. Burak was a nice hidden gem. 2013 class had Bradley #32 and Sorensen #62 or #27 (IMO Sorensen should have been no worse than 40s. Sorensen has been an impact guy, who knows on Bradley. Berge, Marlin and Miner did not pan out. For 2014 Stoll was #10 by intermat and the rest in the #50 or lower range. 2015 has Kemerer at 10-12 and Wilke and Turk below 50. The rest not ranked.

Total top 20 overall on the team counting 2011 thru 2015 classes= 5 (Gilman, Brooks, Clark, Stoll, Kemerer)= 3AAs 5th, 4th and 2nd.

Total top 50= 7 (add Meyer and Sorensen)-Add a 4th place AA. (note that D1collegewrestling.com had Sorensen #27 and Intermat #62 for a 44 Avg.)

Ranked 50 or lower who have finished a season as a starter- 2 (Grothus and Burak) AAs= 2 (8th and 7th)

This post was edited on 4/13 1:36 PM by MVPFAN

This post was edited on 4/13 2:08 PM by MVPFAN

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT