ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's Ace Recruiter?

Auger

HR All-American
Sep 14, 2007
Read an article about how every major program in college football has an ace recruiter on staff. These guys may not have a future as a HC but they are dead eye put em in the bag recruiters. The article stated how important these guys are to sustaining success in the game today. My question, who is Iowa's ace recruiter? Seems like a program like Iowa would need one of these guys more then other programs would and should be willing to shell out the money to get one.

I'm surprised you didn't know we had one. He's got low expectations, does a great job of being optimistic about mediocrity, is clearly relentless etc etc. The recruits really like how he lists the highest * he can find of them, even if it means going to 10+ sites. He's put together a great 50 something ranked class that he's immensely proud of. Don't worry about recruiting, we've got a pain in the ass...I mean, Ace in the Hole.

I think I clearly lacks an "ace recruiter". The best recuiter on this staff based off of selling recruits with interest from other major programs is Chris White.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'm not sure there is such a thing as an "ace" recruiter. An "ace" recruiter is likely either dirty (directly dirty or turns eyes to bagmen/runners/boosters) or is recruiting to a power program that recruits itself.

Bobby Kennedy was a well-regarded recruiter at Texas. Chris White has a lot of recruiting energy and appears to be personable. I'm sure Levar Woods and Brian Ferentz come off as likeable guys. But they are not dirty and they have to sell the Iowa way--fundamentals, toughness, 3 years of physical development before playing, no twitter, living in Iowa, and conservative pro-style schemes. Not to mention a national perception that we are a last generation football program that is on decline.

But this recruiting year has been discouraging. We have lost a lot of recruits from urban areas and the south to non-traditional power teams, ranging from Nevada to Utah, to Indiana, and even Iowa State (although that kid flipped to Neb). We have a desperate need from LB/DE body types yet almost every kid we have recruited at that position (and we've recruited a lot) has turned us down.

Originally posted by MoneyintheBanks:
I'm surprised you didn't know we had one. He's got low expectations, does a great job of being optimistic about mediocrity, is clearly relentless etc etc. The recruits really like how he lists the highest * he can find of them, even if it means going to 10+ sites. He's put together a great 50 something ranked class that he's immensely proud of. Don't worry about recruiting, we've got a pain in the ass...I mean, Ace in the Hole.
roll.r191677.gif
Post of the day. Nice work!

so who is 2 and 3/4 classes is supposed to suddenly be this Ace recruiter.

GD was hired FEB 2012 after that 2012 class was signed and only was here for the 2013-14-15 recruiting classes.
Woods was officially hired in FEB 2012, but as a GA was given a waiver to maintain contact to commits in the 2012 commits
NP was named the DC and was still recruiting the DB's
Morgan was moved from the OL to the DL mainly to stop all the defections from the defensive side of the ball
Blythe was hired in FEB of 2012 after that 2012 class had signed and was named the OL coach

then these were hired in 2013 in time to start recruiting the 2014 class,
WR Coach Kennedy
RB/ST Coach White
MLB Coach Reid

then in spring of 2014
RC/DL Coach Wallace and is helping in finishing out the 2015 class and is/was the lead recruiter for 2017 commit Harris

just how is one of those supposed to be labeled a ACE recruiter at this stage,

to date these are the biggest commits by coach in the 2014 class.

Blythe 4* C Daniels who chose IA over Alabama and Home state school O$U
Kennedy top TX 100 WR Smith
White top FLA 100 RB Higdon
Wallace TOP 100 player Harris in the 2017 class,

and I know the haters can't stand this but TOS show 3 4* OL recruits and there are a total of 5 4* recruits by all 4 sites out of 17 recruits.

and if you have a problem with those OL recruits out of Iowa complain to Morgan as he recruits IA or are you degrading Mogan's ability to identify OL recruits?

Originally posted by Hawkeye2222:

GD was hired FEB 2012 after that 2012 class was signed and only was here for the 2013-14-15 recruiting classes.
Woods was officially hired in FEB 2012, but as a GA was given a waiver to maintain contact to commits in the 2012 commits
Morgan was moved from the OL to the DL mainly to stop all the defections from the defensive side of the ball
Blythe was hired in FEB of 2012 after that 2012 class had signed and was named the OL coach

WR Coach Kennedy
RB/ST Coach White
MLB Coach Reid

then in spring of 2014
RC/DL Coach Wallace and is helping in finishing out the 2015 class and is/was the lead recruiter for 2017 commit Harris

and I know the haters can't stand this but TOS show 3 4* OL recruits and there are a total of 5 4* recruits by all 4 sites out of 17 recruits.

and if you have a problem with those OL recruits out of Iowa complain to Morgan as he recruits IA or are you degrading Mogan's ability to identify OL recruits?
How many years does an asst coach get a pass for mediocre to poor recruiting at Iowa? Why do other programs replace asst coaches all the time and never miss a beat at recruiting? Why do you always cherry pick your data? Why do you think Iowa's recruiting is always good but yet we have been mediocre at football the past 5 seasosns? I guess you must think we have bad coaching then and our coaches suck a developing our talented recruits.

Originally posted by Auger:
Read an article about how every major program in college football has an ace recruiter on staff. These guys may not have a future as a HC but they are dead eye put em in the bag recruiters. The article stated how important these guys are to sustaining success in the game today. My question, who is Iowa's ace recruiter? Seems like a program like Iowa would need one of these guys more then other programs would and should be willing to shell out the money to get one.
I don't know what article you read or the source for this claim but it is absolute fantasy. There is no such animal.

Some recruiters are more successful than others, of course, but they often compete against each for the same prospect. And they lose often. A "dead eye put em in the bag" recruiter implies a "never fail" or almost always succeeds" recruiter and this is far from the truth. Successful recruiters are somewhat like excellent baseball batters - no one bats .1000 but if you are getting a hit 1 out of every 3 trips to the plate, you are near the top of your profession - not an exact analogy but similar in the sense that success comes with many failures.

This post was edited on 1/20 6:24 PM by nu2u

auger why are you so stupid, these new coaches had little to nothing to do with the recruiting that has led to the past 5 seasons, the 1st class that had a part in the 2014 season were 13 RSFR and 3 true freshmen, those players are just starting out, as I keep saying you want to blame somebody blame the coaches that are no longer here,

but you are to damn blind to see it. and all you want to do is lump the past coaches with the new coaches,

2012 4-8 past coaches
2013 8-5 runnerup to BT Champion MSU in the Legend division if that's what you call that a mediocre season you have a terrible problem with expectation still using the past coaches players
2014 13 RSFR and 3 true FR that were recruited by the new coaches and 2nd straight bowl game after that 4-8 season,

get over yourself already.

like I said the other schools were is a much better situation than Iowa was when those coaching changes were made, not to mention they were not in rebuild mode like Iowa is/was,

as much as you bad mouth Iowa recruits this is how the recruiting classes look

2013 1 4* in Wisniskie rated the 7th best TE by ESPN , you going to bad mouth him?
2014 2 4* in QB Weigers and ATH Scheel by 3 sites. TOS listed them as 3*'s
2015 5 4*'s OL Daniels by 2 sites, ATH Cook by 1 site, RB Higdon by 1 site, OL Levi P by 1 site and Landan Paulson by 1 site and this class is not finished, and 3 of those are 4*'s by 1 site.

that make 8 4* recruits the last 3 classes by this new staff and they already have a top 100 commit in the 2017 class commited. unless you were expecting 20 4* recruits in every class since these coaches were hired you clearly are CRAZY
chairshot.r191677.gif

CBS Sports ranks recruiters and Iowa's "Ace" is some old dude named Reese Morgan, ranked 99th out of the Nation's Top 100

5 of the nation's Top 7 are from the SEC.

Other 2 are from FSU and Texas.

Kilroy's excuse is he said iowa was in "rebuild mode". This isn't the pros to be in rebuild where you have free agency or salary caps and have to draft etc. Rebuild mode in college says you either recruited poorly or had poor player attrition. Especially with same HC in place is not saying anything good.

auger why are you so stupid, these new coaches had little to nothing to do with the recruiting that has led to the past 5 seasons, the 1st class that had a part in the 2014 season were 13 RSFR and 3 true freshmen, those players are just starting out, as I keep saying you want to blame somebody blame the coaches that are no longer here,

but you are to damn blind to see it. and all you want to do is lump the past coaches with the new coaches,

2012 4-8 past coaches
2013 8-5 runnerup to BT Champion MSU in the Legend division if that's what you call that a mediocre season you have a terrible problem with expectation still using the past coaches players
2014 13 RSFR and 3 true FR that were recruited by the new coaches and 2nd straight bowl game after that 4-8 season,

get over yourself already.

like I said the other schools were is a much better situation than Iowa was when those coaching changes were made, not to mention they were not in rebuild mode like Iowa is/was,

as much as you bad mouth Iowa recruits this is how the recruiting classes look

2013 1 4* in Wisniskie rated the 7th best TE by ESPN , you going to bad mouth him?
2014 2 4* in QB Weigers and ATH Scheel by 3 sites. TOS listed them as 3*'s
2015 5 4*'s OL Daniels by 2 sites, ATH Cook by 1 site, RB Higdon by 1 site, OL Levi P by 1 site and Landan Paulson by 1 site and this class is not finished, and 3 of those are 4*'s by 1 site.

that make 8 4* recruits the last 3 classes by this new staff and they already have a top 100 commit in the 2017 class commited. unless you were expecting 20 4* recruits in every class since these coaches were hired you clearly are CRAZY
chairshot.r191677.gif
You must be brain dead dude. One if you're going to talk about all these great Iowa recruits atleast spell their names right. Why is Iowa on avg a 7-6 team these past 5 seasons. This current coaching staff has actually gotten worse at recruiting then the past coaching staff according to rankings. You keep giving these guys passes on horrible recruiting. Wisconsin has had 5 times the coaching turnover in the past 5 seasons then Iowa and they don't miss a beat. Why did we have so many RS FR and FR play LB this year? Why will we have two undersized and inexperienced OT'S playing next year? Why is our WR depth so thin as well as DE depth? Why do you even agree that we lack the type of RB Iowa needs to be successful? Why is our overall OL depth thin. Why do we have 14 of 19 OLmen on our 2015 roster from the state of Iowa? Many of the asst coaches you defend started in 2011 and yet our recruiting has ranked in the 50's since then. Why do so many of the low rated recruits fail to develop under this staff?

Ace recruiter = 7-6 = Blow out bowl loss.
Now tell me again about the great recruiting going on at U of I.
And please don't leave out the stars.

you are either refusing to admit that most of these coaches were not even around and had "NOTHING" to do with the recruiting that led to 4 of the last 5 years, you keep trying to blame everything on coaches that were not even here,

that or you are completely BRAIN DEAD, enough already I get you hate everything related to KF, in the end after that 4-8 season Iowa has gone from 0-4* recruits to 1 4* recruit to 2 4* recruits to 5 4* recruits in 2015, how you can call that poor recruiting let alone a failure is beyond me

the 2015 class is not yet done so we have no Idea if Iowa will get anymore 4* recruits, this Friday 4* by 4 sites DT Daniels will be coming for his OV

also he may be just be a 5.7 3* OT Madden out of NJ @ 6'7 328 lbs is now available again and White was recruiting him.

as for White he did get a FLA top 100 player in RB Higdon, that was a pretty good catch.

Chris White seems like Iowa's best recruiter, hopefully Seth Wallace develops into a stud recruiter.

I think that is the biggest deficiency of Iowa's staff is that they don't have an elite recruiter. Ferentz seems to focus on getting coaches who are 'teachers' and because he puts too much emphasis on the developmental aspect of the program. I believe it was Kakert who said not that long ago that putting so much emphasis on being a developmental program has done a disservice to Iowa.

I think they got burned on some high profile guys that came here so then they started looking at just getting "iowa" guys, i.e. guys that were under recruited, come in with a chip on their shoulder, maybe guys that will need to switch positions or were undersized, etc.

The fact is Iowa is a program that does have to do a lot of developing but it shouldn't be all developmental, they need an ace recruiter who can bring in a few stud recruits each year that are good enough to step in as true freshman and start.

I think the move to getting Seth Wallace and giving him more staff is a move in the right direction, although it should have been done sooner as the SEC schools have recruiting coordinators with a staff twice as big. The other thing that was put off for too long was the facilities and those play a big part in getting a recruit. I mean when ISU is a couple steps ahead of you in the facilities department then you are definitely falling behind. But now Iowa has top notch facilities and I noticed a lot of the recruits at the Junior day have mentioned the facilities as being impressive and the BTN guys have also gave the facilities high remarks. So here is to hoping these two thing payoff with the 2016 class.

Originally posted by Auger:
Every pitching staff has an ace, only a couple are Cy Young worthy though

you are either refusing to admit that most of these coaches were not even around and had "NOTHING" to do with the recruiting that led to 4 of the last 5 years, you keep trying to blame everything on coaches that were not even here,

that or you are completely BRAIN DEAD, enough already I get you hate everything related to KF, in the end after that 4-8 season Iowa has gone from 0-4* recruits to 1 4* recruit to 2 4* recruits to 5 4* recruits in 2015, how you can call that poor recruiting let alone a failure is beyond me

the 2015 class is not yet done so we have no Idea if Iowa will get anymore 4* recruits, this Friday 4* by 4 sites DT Daniels will be coming for his OV

also he may be just be a 5.7 3* OT Madden out of NJ @ 6'7 328 lbs is now available again and White was recruiting him.

as for White he did get a FLA top 100 player in RB Higdon, that was a pretty good catch.
If you are going to continue to cherry pick your data and just choose the best rating on a recruit from 4-5 different sites then you need to look at the other side of the coin. I looked at a bunch of teams that we compete with that according to Rivals only have 2-5 4 star recruits. I then looked at what their recruits ratings are on other sites. If you want to keep telling everyone on here Iowa has 4-5 four star recruits then you should tell people teams that are a head of us in recruiting now have by your standards 6-12 four star recruits based on the best rating per recruit by all sites. Their were a few teams that only had 2-3 four star recruits based on Rivals ratings but they had a bunch of higher rated three star guys that were rated four stars by other sites giving them 6-9 four star recruits.

You do realize Davis and Brian have been with the team for three years meaning they have coached the guys on the team for three years and have been apart of three full recruiting classes all that rank poorly. Bobby, White and Reid have all been apart of Iowa for two seasons and have been developing players for two seasons and have been apart of 2 poor Iowa recruiting classes. Captain Kirk, Parker, Morgan and Woods have been apart of all the guys on the team development as well as recruiting. Our last three recruiting classes have been some of the worst at Iowa. Our player development over the past couple seasons has been the worst at Iowa in the last 16 seasons, except maybe the mid 2000's. Every coach on the team has had atleast 2 full years to coach up players and recruit their positions. Some of the guys you defend have had 3 or more full seasons to develop and recruit. I would give them a pass if they didnt miss on so many recruits this year.

Thank-you Auger. I was going to reply pretty much what you did. I'm sure 2222 will pick some cheeries for a comeback.
He pins his hopes on stars, most of look at the reality of lack of perfomance!

WR Coach Kennedy
RB/ST Coach White
MLB Coach Reid

then in spring of 2014

Kilroy, 1999 called, they want their NP named Defensive Coordinator at Iowa back.

in 2013 IA's defense ended up 7th in total defense, 8th in pass defense 20th in rush defense and 9th in scoring defense.

this season with 3 new LB and 2 new starters in the 2ndary the defense ended up 41st is scoring defense, 56th in rush defense after facing 5 of the top 15 rushers in the nation, 7th in pass defense and 17th in total defense,

to bad those new starter didn't play NFL 1st round draft picks in their 1st start. to make any of you happy.

Originally posted by -MDVOL:
CBS Sports ranks recruiters and Iowa's "Ace" is some old dude named Reese Morgan, ranked 99th out of the Nation's Top 100

5 of the nation's Top 7 are from the SEC.

Other 2 are from FSU and Texas.
Are they actually on the coaching staff or Alumni?
ohwell.r191677.gif

in 2013 IA's defense ended up 7th in total defense, 8th in pass defense 20th in rush defense and 9th in scoring defense.

this season with 3 new LB and 2 new starters in the 2ndary the defense ended up 41st is scoring defense, 56th in rush defense after facing 5 of the top 15 rushers in the nation, 7th in pass defense and 17th in total defense,

to bad those new starter didn't play NFL 1st round draft picks in their 1st start. to make any of you happy.
And what does that have to do with the fact you incorrectly listed NP was named Iowa's DC, when it should have been Phil Parker.

That is why 1999 was calling, because that is when Norm Parker was named DC. Geesh, it's like telling a joke to a blonde, and then having to explain it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT