ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's schedule-when is Barta held accountable

hawkhoundstooth

Team MVP
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2006
TCU and Minny; BYU and Nebbie; Stanford and N'West; Mich and Utah; Mich State and Oregon; Iowa and Illinois State? There won't be much tv exposure for the Hawks and Illinois State..Bump Elliott would laugh his head off over this schedule. How do you get players ready to play Illinois State? We pay a premium price for a coach and then play a 10 cent out of conference schedule..just to say we won x number of games. We won't ever again see a UCLA, USC, Oklahoma, or even a North Carolina State as long as Barta and Ferentz are around......what a shame and no wonder we have trouble recruiting against those guys listed above.

"How do you get players ready to play Illinois State?"

Do you mean motivationally or physically? If you can't get kids ready motivationally for the first game of a new season it doesn't matter who you are playing. Its just a natural. The hardest thing to understand out of a first game is a comment like: they weren't ready to play. That's hogwash (an Iowa clique) If you have ever coached you know that the hardest job the first game motivationally is to keep them in check. They are excited to unload on someone other than their teammates, they want to impress the coaches, vie for playing time, etc. If you can't get them ready physically for a less skilled team...well you'll have to ask the coach's about that.

Gotta do something to stay over .500. If that happens Iowa recruits won't even have MAC level offers.

As much as you guys complain about the record regardless of who we lose to and how we lost those games, making the schedule tougher (i.e. more losses) would only make for more complaining....but hey that's what you want...?

And yes that comment factored in the response to this comment about not being as mad about losing to better competition. You'd still f***in complain and tell me that it was rightfully so and what not.

I'm simply telling you that I already know what you people would do and that I don't give a f*** that you can't deal with it.

Just sayin......:D

TCU and Minny; BYU and Nebbie; Stanford and N'West; Mich and Utah; Mich State and Oregon; Iowa and Illinois State? There won't be much tv exposure for the Hawks and Illinois State..Bump Elliott would laugh his head off over this schedule. How do you get players ready to play Illinois State? We pay a premium price for a coach and then play a 10 cent out of conference schedule..just to say we won x number of games. We won't ever again see a UCLA, USC, Oklahoma, or even a North Carolina State as long as Barta and Ferentz are around......what a shame and no wonder we have trouble recruiting against those guys listed above.
Bump might laugh his head off, but Hayden wouldn't. Hayden came in and made sure the schedule had fewer big names as soon as possible. It took while but UCLA and Okla game way to Drake, UTEP, Northern Illinois and others.

So what are ISU, Pitt, Arizona, ASU, and Syracuse? Iowa is one of a minority of teams that actually play to Power 5 teams in non-conference. Some don't play any.

The other non-conference opponents of the teams mentioned, for those who were wondering:

Minnesota - Colorado St., Ohio, Kent St.
Nebraska - South Alabama, Miami (FL), Southern Miss
Northwestern - Eastern Illinois, Duke, Ball St.
Michigan - Oregon St., UNLV, BYU
Michigan St. - Western Michigan, Air Force, Central Michigan

Iowa - Illinois State (would probably beat 9-10 of the teams above), ISU (we can't do much about this one, but they are Power 5, sort of), Pittsburgh, North Texas

Michigan's schedule looks a notch more interesting, but otherwise I would call our's about par for the course among Big 10 teams.

Reactions: ping72 and ichawk24
The other non-conference opponents of the teams mentioned, for those who were wondering:

Iowa - Illinois State (would probably beat 9-10 of the teams above), ISU (we can't do much about this one, but they are Power 5, sort of), Pittsburgh, North Texas

Michigan's schedule looks a notch more interesting, but otherwise I would call our's about par for the course among Big 10 teams.

A couple of others, for fodder:

Ohio St. - Virginia Tech, Hawaii, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan
Penn St. - Temple, Buffalo, San Diego St., Army

And as always, it's worth mentioning that teams like Minnesota, Nebraska and Wisconsin aren't pseudo-obligated to play a D-1 (for now anyway) in-state rival in the non-conference slate, giving them more flexibility.

Reactions: Pepperman
Nice trollin, comparing Iowas worst game with other team's top game.

Iowa plays two P5 teams most years. Very few teams do that.

Pitt is similar to the team's you bitch about.

Adding Maryland and Rutgers is what cheapens the schedule. You lose games vs. UM, OSU, MSU, etc. so you can play Rutgers and Maryland. That's the real joke of e schedule....

More wins for Iowa.....theoretically.

Yeah...but people want to see those big games. I can remember the wins vs UM or PSU or OSU (few that there are) as opposed to games against Indiana or Minnesota. I remember some of those, just not as vivid. Everyone who was around remembers Nebby or UCLA 1982 or Michigan 85.

The Iowa non-conference schedule is driven by the head coach, not the AD. This is the type of schedule Kirk would like to play and he's said that many times.

Is the only way Barta can be "held accountable" is by being fired? How do you know he has not been "held accountable" already?

So you would fire an AD for a non-conference football schedule?

No. Please note that I was asking the original poster if the only thing that would tell him that Barta had been "held accountable" was Barta being fired.

My suspicion is that the original poster feels only a firing is "holding Barta accountable" when there could be other things already dropped on Barta that the poster would not know of but that would be "holding Barta accountable".

I don't think our Non-Con is that bad compared to other teams. Granted its not the 70's or early 80's Non-Con, but some Big 10 teams just load up the cupcakes. KF has had us play Arizona, ASU, Syracuse, Pitt, and Missouri backed out. Overall losing the traditional Big 10 games for Rutgers and Maryland is a lot worse.

Michigan and Nebraska both have pretty good OOC schedules. Michigan State playing Oregon and Air Force is no joke either.

I don't think our Non-Con is that bad compared to other teams. Granted its not the 70's or early 80's Non-Con, but some Big 10 teams just load up the cupcakes. KF has had us play Arizona, ASU, Syracuse, Pitt, and Missouri backed out. Overall losing the traditional Big 10 games for Rutgers and Maryland is a lot worse.
I think we understand you hate Rutgers and Maryland in the B1G.

I don't understand how anyone who is unhappy with the schedule can be happy about losing games vs OSU, UM, etc. so we can play Rutgers or Maryland.

I'm not happy we don't play osu or michigan as much.

But you didn't know that because I don't make it a point to pound it down your throat

Last edited:
If Barta is fired, it should be for giving out one of the most lopsided coaching contracts in college football history. It should not be because of the non-conference football schedule.

If Barta is fired, it should be for giving out one of the most lopsided coaching contracts in college football history. It should not be because of the non-conference football schedule.

Easy question, because it is late:

Do you, TankHawk, believe that, but for the "most lopsided coaching contract[] in college football history" Kirk Ferentz would have been fired?

Followup: Really?

Easy question, because it is late:

Do you, TankHawk, believe that, but for the "most lopsided coaching contract[] in college football history" Kirk Ferentz would have been fired?

My question to you, Mr. TheIowaHawk:
Is it your position that Gary Barta did not approve and sign one of the most lopsided coaching contracts in college football history?

Follow up: Really?

My question to you, Mr. TheIowaHawk:
Is it your position that Gary Barta did not approve and sign one of the most lopsided coaching contracts in college football history?

Follow up: Really?

Wait, so you don't even answer....you ask me a separate question, and then expect me to answer?

I know I'm the rare unicorn on this site, because I actually will answer.

No, of course that is not my position, no sensical (or even nonsensical) reading of my post above implies that. I will repost my questions to you:

Wait, so you don't even answer....you ask me a separate question, and then expect me to answer?

I know I'm the rare unicorn on this site, because I actually will answer.

No, of course that is not my position, no sensical (or even nonsensical) reading of my post above implies that. I will repost my questions to you:

No. I do not. And the topic was not about firing Kirk Ferentz. It was about should Gary Barta be fired for the Iowa program's non conference schedule. I did not state if I felt Mr. Barta should or should not be fired, I stated "If Barta is fired, it should be for giving out one of the most lopsided coaching contracts in college football history. It should not be because of the non conference football schedule."

If I was the new incoming university president and I was evaluating whether Mr. Barta should be retained, terminated, or allow his contract to run out, the 2 most compelling reasons to not retain would be the hiring of Todd Licklliter and the approval of a terribly one sided coaching contract with Kirk Ferentz that economically ties the hands of the university and doesn't allow decisions to made that may need to be made. I would grade him as at least satisfactory in most of the other areas that I am aware of and would grade him as exceeding expectations in fund raising which is one of the most important duties of his job. In the end, I would recognize that he corrected his mistake on the Lickliter hiring and it appears that he made a much better selection the second time around but I would really struggle with his decision on the Kirk Ferentz contract.

Have I answered your question to your satisfaction?

Yes, the topic was about the Non-Con....but you changed it to this lopsided contract.

So let's do some thoughtful analysis:

A. You believe it was the most lopsided, terrible, no good, very bad contract in the history of college football;
B. You do not believe Kirk Ferentz would have been fired regardless;

So what would have been different had he given out the exact same money, but for less years, and no buyout? Apparently, in your opinion, nothing.

Honestly, I'm glad you are intelligent enough to realize that KF was not going to be fired regardless of buyout. Sure, it gets talked about a lot, but never by those able to actually fire him.

I don't understand how anyone who is unhappy with the schedule can be happy about losing games vs OSU, UM, etc. so we can play Rutgers or Maryland.
Because there is nothing that can be done about that. All the complaining in the world isn't going to change the fact that Rutgers and Maryland are now in the Big 10.

Reactions: Cougar63
I'd enjoy watching Iowa/Oregon. Same with Baylor, TCU, any of the "we think we can score at will" teams.

Because there is nothing that can be done about that. All the complaining in the world isn't going to change the fact that Rutgers and Maryland are now in the Big 10.

Well then bitching about the schedule in general is pointless then. Just accept its crap and move on. I dropped my season tickets partly over it. If you want to keep lapping up and paying for Maryland and Rutgers instead of Michigan, MSU or OSU....go for it.

Well then bitching about the schedule in general is pointless then. Just accept its crap and move on. I dropped my season tickets partly over it. If you want to keep lapping up and paying for Maryland and Rutgers instead of Michigan, MSU or OSU....go for it.
What about the years they do play those teams?...............You still gonna bitch about having to play Maryland and Rutgers? Or will you go to the games paying for single game tickets?

In almost all years we will be giving up a games vs. traditional Big 10 foes for either Rutgers or Maryland.

As for paying to watch Iowa. Would you pay that cost to watch Iowa play Coe or Wartburg?

ADVERTISEMENT