ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Moss

Unless there are significant changes we have yet to see he won't get drafted.
Woody will have significantly better stats this year. I'm fairly confident about that. That may or may not get him drafted. He's going to compete with few starters in the NBA. The only comparable starter I can think of is Tiago Splitter. But you can't teach 7'1"; and he's naturally active defensively- something rarer than you might think in the NBA. I'm also interested to see how the jumper he's been working on plays out in games this fall. It's looked good in the PTL. If he can hit that consistently when it counts, that could get him a roster spot right there.

NBA chances are very, very small for Woodnuts. His only real skill is his height.

Good kid who works hard but that's about it.

His only skill is height? I'm pretty sure he led the nation in eye pokes last year...that takes a lot more skill than hitting a free throw.

Woody will have significantly better stats this year. I'm fairly confident about that. That may or may not get him drafted. He's going to compete with few starters in the NBA. The only comparable starter I can think of is Tiago Splitter. But you can't teach 7'1"; and he's naturally active defensively- something rarer than you might think in the NBA. I'm also interested to see how the jumper he's been working on plays out in games this fall. It's looked good in the PTL. If he can hit that consistently when it counts, that could get him a roster spot right there.

Agreed. His improving shot, his true back to the basket game, and his ability to run the floor will all get him a serious look. He is not lumbering as posted above. And his defensive awareness and leadership are extremely valuable. His limitations, such as his length for his size and lack of explosion (not lack of athletic ability although too many limit athleticism to explosion) mean he'll not be a first rounder, but I could very much see him drafted for depth by any number of teams. The new question for all bigs in the NBA is: can they adequately guard guards off the pick and roll? He doesn't have to be a world beater at it, just good enough.

CR I'm not sure who you're watching but woody is both lumbering and non athletic. Now kaminski (sp) on the other hand is the opposite of woody, its not aw's fault it was the cards he was dealt. Just like i was dealt being a midget at hardly 5'6 :(

I think calling Woody "unathletic" is a huge disservice to what he's able to do on the court. Sure, he's not jumping twenty freakin' feet in the air, but the hustle he shows on defense in staying with his man, as well as the quick passes he provides through traffic, shows he's got a lot of athletic capability.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/c
I think calling Woody "unathletic" is a huge disservice to what he's able to do on the court. Sure, he's not jumping twenty freakin' feet in the air, but the hustle he shows on defense in staying with his man, as well as the quick passes he provides through traffic, shows he's got a lot of athletic capability.
I think people tend to get too hung up on his lack of jumping ability. He boxes out well, runs, passes, has good hands and generally good defensive instincts. And don't underestimate his mental toughness. If he can consistently hit the 12-15 footer, which he has shown flashes of doing, I think it will open up an NBA opportunity for him. I'm always amazed at the tall stiffs that manage to eek out a career in the NBA.

Regarding Woody:

He is never going to be what some folks think he needs to be. But if he does his job, does what he can do, and does it great? He could make the NBA.

Reactions: 2432Hawk
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/position/c
I think people tend to get too hung up on his lack of jumping ability. He boxes out well, runs, passes, has good hands and generally good defensive instincts. And don't underestimate his mental toughness. If he can consistently hit the 12-15 footer, which he has shown flashes of doing, I think it will open up an NBA opportunity for him. I'm always amazed at the tall stiffs that manage to eek out a career in the NBA.

Imo it's more the lack of reach that will keep him out of the nba than jumping.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the status of Isaiah's summer school? Summer school courses do not last long. 4-6 weeks. Some have ended already.

Hopefully we can get this young man on campus soon! It would be good to have him join for some of the summer coaching sessions. Every player can use time with our staff to focus on improvements and development before the season. Especially the yutes.

Moss will play.

He may be a bit raw in some respects, but:

- He can score from anywhere on the court
- He is pretty athletic
- He has an extremely good left hand for a right handed player - finished a lot with his left and passed on the move with it too
- Doesn't just have a few moves (crossover, spin, hop, etc) but can combo them on the same drive to the hoop

Probably needs help on his defense, but Iowa needs a few players that they can turn to on offense who can make stuff happen, and he just oozes that type of player. I don't expect much this year, but he could have a very nice career here and has the raw tools to be an NBA player if he works as hard as Marble did.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT