ADVERTISEMENT

ISU goes with Murray St. coach Steve Prohm

Of all the guys they interviewed, this was the one I didn't want them to hire the most. I think they got a pretty good one with Prohm.

jI heard this on the radio earlier and said who the hell is Steve Prome? Nopw I see the correct spelling is Prohm. Who the hell is he? I truly never heard of him before. Of course, I had never heard of Fran McCaffery when Iowa hired him so I guess all is fair.

Reactions: Myvue
I'm stunned! I am not the smart guy I thought I was, which is the only thing about this that doesn't surprise me.

In hoops, I feel there are good coaches all over. Maybe they snagged a good one. Maybe not.

He has been to the tournament once in 4 years. If he does well he wont be in Ames long.

So you are sayin this dude will (also) bolt to the NBA?

CHAMPS001_zps6db155a3.jpg

They seemed to know they had TJ, and they took their time to come up with this guy, so you have to believe they did their homework.

Most national comments are positive.

But then I actually thought Lick was going to be a good hire.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
I think it’s a good hire and supposedly and up and comer……..but werent Gene Chizik and Steve Alford were ‘up and comers’ as well?……..At the end of the day it’s all about recruiting an player development.

He has a good nucleus in place in 2015. How will his style of ball translate to the current roster? Personally I think prognosticators are over-hyping the Cyclones in 2015/16. Isn’t this the same team who just lost to UAB getting beat on the boards badly in their last game? They lost their best rebounder in Hogue and the 6-9 JUCO guy out of Iowa Western recently bailed and moved on to St Johns. I think they might have another transfer big guy opportunity, but without another large body I don’t seen them significantly better this upcoming year than last. Perhaps I will be wrong but the roster is guard heavy.

Long term, is Prohm going to take the Hoiberg route, feasting on transfers, 5th year guys and JUCO’s, or is he going to go the High School route and develop players, or a mix of both?
I think Hoiberg did a great job of meshing the players he had (minus the Dejean Jones flame out), but keep in mind, many of these players had been developed before stepping on campus. Fred seemed to get too much credit of being a ‘great coach’ in my opinion when 3 out of 4 guys walking on campus had significant experience elsewhere.

He took a team to the NCAA in his first year 2012. Murray State was good when he took over. His schedule was a joke thus he never got a bid to the NCAA without winning his conference tournament.

Seems like a good guy and is well respected but who knows if it will work out on the court. It is so hard to tell. Hoiberg never even coached before and neither did Steve Kerr and then there are guys that have coached forever that don't make good head coaches at the major conference level. McDermott, Lickliter The one thing he seems to be able to do that should translate though is spot talent. He recruited two way under the radar guys and one is in the NBA and the other is going to get drafted this year. I think a lot of his success could depend on who he gets on his staff.

Has not made the tournament since 2012! His first year! I would be pissed if IOWA hired him! I hated Lick instantly too! Fran I was good with because in Vegas we use to make a ton betting against Siena then Fran took over and we were betting on Siena ! He won tournament games with teams he made! This guy has a nice record but look at the schedule and you will see its a Mirage!!

Hoiberg had a strategy that worked for him. This guy will benefit from a strong returning nucleus. The telling point will be where ISU stands in 2-3 years. The expected success this season may very well get him a lot of positive press this year. But Ames being the landing pad for renegade transfers is likely over. So can the new guy develop high school kids in a Power 5 conference?.

He may turnout to be a good hire, but I seem to remember a lot of Clone fans making fun of the McCaffery hire, being a mid-major coach and with limited post season tournament success, etc, etc, etc Of course, Fran never won the CIT Torunament!

Hoiberg had a strategy that worked for him. This guy will benefit from a strong returning nucleus. The telling point will be where ISU stands in 2-3 years. The expected success this season may very well get him a lot of positive press this year. But Ames being the landing pad for renegade transfers is likely over. So can the new guy develop high school kids in a Power 5 conference?.

The telling point will be next year's recruiting class.

With all due respect... kids commit earlier and earlier in recent years. I wonder just how much top tier talent is still undecided for next year? TJ is likely gone from Cloneville so we'll see what connections were coach related and how much success the new guy has in a much tougher conference.

With the departure of Hoiberg...if there was ever any doubt that coaches see ISU as a stepping stone, there isn't any doubt now. If I'm an ISU fan, extended program success is non-existent. They will NEVER keep a good coach for a very long time, in any sport other than WBB.

They seemed to know they had TJ, and they took their time to come up with this guy, so you have to believe they did their homework.

Most national comments are positive.

But then I actually thought Lick was going to be a good hire.

This^^^^ How many people thought Lick was good hire at the time. Guess we'll see in 2-3 years how good of a coach and recruiter he is.

With all due respect... kids commit earlier and earlier in recent years. I wonder just how much top tier talent is still undecided for next year? TJ is likely gone from Cloneville so we'll see what connections were coach related and how much success the new guy has in a much tougher conference.

With the departure of Hoiberg...if there was ever any doubt that coaches see ISU as a stepping stone, there isn't any doubt now. If I'm an ISU fan, extended program success is non-existent. They will NEVER keep a good coach for a very long time, in any sport other than WBB.

Most of the top 150 is undecided. While kids in football seem to commit earlier that doesn't seem to be the case with basketball.

He may turnout to be a good hire, but I seem to remember a lot of Clone fans making fun of the McCaffery hire, being a mid-major coach and with limited post season tournament success, etc, etc, etc Of course, Fran never won the CIT Torunament!
I don't doubt some ISU fan(s) ridiculed the McCaffery hire, but most of us know better. Sometimes mid-majors work -- Maury John, Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy come to mind -- and sometimes they don't work -- Ken Tricky, Lynn Nance and Greg McDermott come to mind. Or you could plug in Lickliter and Olson and Alford and McCaffery. I don't think there's any sure way to predict.

I don't doubt some ISU fan(s) ridiculed the McCaffery hire, but most of us know better. Sometimes mid-majors work -- Maury John, Tim Floyd and Larry Eustachy come to mind -- and sometimes they don't work -- Ken Tricky, Lynn Nance and Greg McDermott come to mind. Or you could plug in Lickliter and Olson and Alford and McCaffery. I don't think there's any sure way to predict.

Hey LC on cyclone fanatic they still ridicule the McCaffery hire. But don't let that get in the way you never do.

Well yeah, it's hard to say. He's been coaching since the late 90s but his only head coaching gig was Murray St. He had a good record there but so did the previous 2 or 3 coaches so the best you can say is that he was no worse than the coaches he replaced. Jury is still out, we will see what happens.

As to McCaffery, when he was hired, you could Google him and find a solid record of improvement. Less so with Prohm but who knows? Gotta watch him for a couple or 3 years.

Well yeah, it's hard to say. He's been coaching since the late 90s but his only head coaching gig was Murray St. He had a good record there but so did the previous 2 or 3 coaches so the best you can say is that he was no worse than the coaches he replaced. Jury is still out, we will see what happens.

As to McCaffery, when he was hired, you could Google him and find a solid record of improvement. Less so with Prohm but who knows? Gotta watch him for a couple or 3 years.

I don't know anything about Murray State but they are about to get their second point guard into the NBA while on Prohm's watch at Murray State. It's more than can be said for any of the teams in Iowa and quite an accomplishment for a smaller school to recruit such talented players. Could be though that the two point guard's talents were improved upon under Prohm. I read the point guard this year that is projected to be drafted midway through the first round is just a sophomore.

Actually Hoiberg did do a good job with developing 4 year players as well. Melvin Ejim, Georges Niang, Monte Morris, Naz Long. Then to get the vast majority of the transfers to fit in well was a great combination.

I think if Hoiberg wanted to be at ISU for his complete career you would have seen him finally get SOME 5 star high school talent, but Hoiberg was a very unique coach and neither ISU or Iowa will typically have a coach with that kind of star power and will find it very hard to get 5 star kids or even high 4 star kids unless they are from Iowa that have a tie to the state. Because of that, I think both schools would be well served to tap into some of the transfer market that Hoiberg used at ISU. Hoiberg said if he just went with the high school talent he knew he couldn't compete for championships and that's why he chose to take transfers.

Reactions: MTHawkeyes43
Looks like old Oxenberger or whatever his name is really got the shaft from his good friend Fred.

We shall see. Not sure I have ever seen national media go out and say when there is a new coach that it was an awful hire.

Not so much. He joined Prohm's staff and is making a quarter of a mill. Better gig than I've got right now.
Yep, Prom finally came through. I expect he was told he had to keep Oxtailburger on. He is sure making a lot less than the head coach makes and I am quite sure he was all but promised the job when he left to return to Iowa State.

Yep, Prom finally came through. I expect he was told he had to keep Oxtailburger on. He is sure making a lot less than the head coach makes and I am quite sure he was all but promised the job when he left to return to Iowa State.
You are mistaken. TJ was not promised the job nor was he guaranteed a spot on Prohm ' s staff.

I think its a good hire for ISU. This guy will do things different than the MAYOR did.

He is about player development and at Murray State he has some solid teams (mid major level) and unfortunately their schedule kept them out of this years tournament. He is a great overall guy and I have had the pleasure of hearing him speak at a couple of coaches clinics. He will be a good one for ISU. He will have a GREAT year next year and if that can translate into good recruiting then he will be fine. If they underachieve and struggle recruiting it could be a different story. He is a great X's & O's guy. He has had some great players at Murray State and don't kid yourself they have won A TON ballgames in his time there. I don't care if your playing OSU or Sisters of the poor you have to still win the games and they did that.

I doubt that very much. First, I don't think there are many, if any, coaches who would take a P5 head coaching job at which his superiors told him who he had to hire as assistants. Second, it makes no sense to think he was promised the head job.

Prohm's staff looks good to me. Nice balance of new guys and old, and recruiting ties to places ISU wants to recruit.

I doubt that very much. First, I don't think there are many, if any, coaches who would take a P5 head coaching job at which his superiors told him who he had to hire as assistants. Second, it makes no sense to think he was promised the head job.

Prohm's staff looks good to me. Nice balance of new guys and old, and recruiting ties to places ISU wants to recruit.
But gee, isn't there SOME reason he left to come to ISU? I mean, come on, he had left ISU once. Why did he come back? He must have thought he had a shot at the head job, right?

But gee, isn't there SOME reason he left to come to ISU? I mean, come on, he had left ISU once. Why did he come back? He must have thought he had a shot at the head job, right?
I don't doubt he thought he had a shot at the head job. My understanding is that the situation at Washington wasn't/isn't all that stable. He had applied for some other jobs, if I'm not mistaken. He and his wife were familiar with the town and the school.

But can we agree there is a difference between "he came back because he was promised the job" and "one reason he came back was the possibility of getting the job"?

Let logic enter your thinking process.
1. Who would have promised him the job? Fred obviously couldn't have. It would have to have been Pollard....but if that were the case, why didn't he get the job he was "promised"? If he had been promised the job, wouldn't both Fred and Jamie have been more supportive of him?
2. If he had been promised the job and screwed, would he have taken the assistant spot under Prohm? For that matter, would Prohm have asked him? Obviously there would have been some pretty nasty feelings involved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT