ADVERTISEMENT

ISU to play Colorado in Sioux Falls 2015-2016

hawk44ever

All-Conference
Jan 12, 2006
Slow day so I saw this just released on ESPN, ISU will open 2015-2016 play vs. Colorado in Sioux Falls at the Sanford Pentagon. Wichita State and Memphis did this last year; Wisconsin and St. John's the year before.

What is the attraction of this game? Does Sioux Falls pay a ton of money for these teams to play there? I can't imagine this is a huge recruiting deal.

Doesn't answer your question but I would like to see Iowa schedule a game against USD or SDSU as a way of saying thanks to Mike and Woody

Originally posted by hawk44ever:

Slow day so I saw this just released on ESPN, ISU will open 2015-2016 play vs. Colorado in Sioux Falls at the Sanford Pentagon. Wichita State and Memphis did this last year; Wisconsin and St. John's the year before.

What is the attraction of this game? Does Sioux Falls pay a ton of money for these teams to play there? I can't imagine this is a huge recruiting deal.
Some exposure and you get an RPI a boost from neutral court.

The Pentagon is the brainchild of Kelby Krabbenhoft, CEO of Sanford Health and father of former Badger Joe Krabbenhoft - hence the Wisconsin connection. Kelby and Bo are good friends.

My understanding is that the initial showcase involving Wisconsin went extremely well and that ESPN immediately expressed interest In making it an annual event. Sioux Falls is nothing special in terms of recruiting but the Pentagon is a unique structure built to resemble some of the old gyms of the past, only with modern amenities. I could be wrong, but I believe Sanford covers all of the team's expenses and both teams get a cut of revenue ...which is modest but they do get national TV exposure.

also......forgot to mention that in addition the Pentagon, the 12,000 seat Denny Sanford Premier Center opened this year and hosted the Summit League tournament (won by NDSU). During that tournament, NCAA officials were in Sioux Falls to access the possibility of Sioux Falls hosting the "play-in" games currently venued in Dayton, Ohio. The talk around here is that the officials were impressed with the facility and the tournament management and that Sioux Falls is close but were concerned with the sufficiency of adjacent hotel space. Look for Sioux Falls to make a strong bid for the Dayton games in the next 3-4 years.
This post was edited on 3/16 4:11 PM by nu2u

Thanks- further research looks like it is part of ESPN opening basketball day. Article stated that Wichita State got $100,000 and all expenses paid this past year. Not sure what is usual for a visiting team to receive in conference and I know pre-season tourneys are usually break even..

Originally posted by nu2u:
The Pentagon is the brainchild of Kelby Krabbenhoft, CEO of Sanford Health and father of former Badger Joe Krabbenhoft - hence the Wisconsin connection. Kelby and Bo are good friends.

My understanding is that the initial showcase involving Wisconsin went extremely well and that ESPN immediately expressed interest In making it an annual event. Sioux Falls is nothing special in terms of recruiting but the Pentagon is a unique structure built to resemble some of the old gyms of the past, only with modern amenities. I could be wrong, but I believe Sanford covers all of the team's expenses and both teams get a cut of revenue ...which is modest but they do get national TV exposure.
Wisconsin received $260,000. Also,Sanford wanted the Badgers paired up with SDSU for the initial game but Bo refused as he said the Jacks would have an home court advantage.Lol

Commenting on the Woodbury/Gesell idea from above and similar to the Sioux Falls game, Iowa should schedule a game at the Tyson Center in Sioux City. Great venue for 5-6,000 tickets. That would be a great tribute to those two, McCabe and others (ok, not Cougill). Play UNO or another area team we are heavily favored to beat. We have recruited this area very well and it might serve us well in the future.

Originally posted by rillo 62:

Wisconsin received $260,000. Also,Sanford wanted the Badgers paired up with SDSU for the initial game but Bo refused as he said the Jacks would have an home court advantage.Lol
That's true. They played St John's instead of SDSU.

UNLV didn't have that concern. They played USD at the Pentagon this past year and won handily (but they were likely well aware that USD was rebuilding under 1st year HC Craig Smith).

Originally posted by hawk44ever:

Commenting on the Woodbury/Gesell idea from above and similar to the Sioux Falls game, Iowa should schedule a game at the Tyson Center in Sioux City. Great venue for 5-6,000 tickets. That would be a great tribute to those two, McCabe and others (ok, not Cougill). Play UNO or another area team we are heavily favored to beat. We have recruited this area very well and it might serve us well in the future.
I think that is a great idea also ...and it would be a good location to play one of the Summit League schools -USD, SDSU, NDSU e.g.

I heard Briar Cliff made a strong campaign to host the Hawks at Tyson a couple years ago for a preseason game. I don't think the finances made sense. BCU/Iowa and Morningside/USD in a one day exhibition event would be a fun show for the folks in western Iowa who can't get to many games.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

The was announced this morning in a press release by ISU at around 11:30 or so. Tickets went on sale at 1:00. Game sold out by 5:00 or so. Really like the idea and ISU will be featured as part of a seven game season kickoff marathon on ESPN.

also......forgot to mention that in addition the Pentagon, the 12,000 seat Denny Sanford Premier Center opened this year and hosted the Summit League tournament (won by NDSU). During that tournament, NCAA officials were in Sioux Falls to access the possibility of Sioux Falls hosting the "play-in" games currently venued in Dayton, Ohio. The talk around here is that the officials were impressed with the facility and the tournament management and that Sioux Falls is close but were concerned with the sufficiency of adjacent hotel space. Look for Sioux Falls to make a strong bid for the Dayton games in the next 3-4 years.

Awesome info and I would love to see Sioux Falls get a play-in game. Very underrated city. Has a Cedar Rapids feel/size to it, but seems nicer.

Originally posted by Isitfootballseason?:

Awesome info and I would love to see Sioux Falls get a play-in game. Very underrated city. Has a Cedar Rapids feel/size to it, but seems nicer.
Sioux Falls is nice. The Sanford Pentagon is part of a sports complex in one area of Sioux Falls. Awesome complex that includes youth soccer and 7 on 7 footballs fields, that our outdoors. The Sanford fieldhouse is an indoor facility for soccer, football and rehab and training place. Just north of the Pentagon is the Scheel's ice arena used I imagine for mostly youth hockey. The Pentagon has numerous courts on the perimeter that are used for youth bb leagues, adult leagues, and aau games. The centerpiece is the Heritage court, seats approx. 3400 with beautiful scoreboards and hd video set. Very nice complex.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT