ADVERTISEMENT

It will be hot Saturday. University of Iowa planning precautions for Hawkeyes’ season opener

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Saturday’s season-opening football game at University of Iowa’s Kinnick Stadium will coincide with temperatures that are forecast to climb above 90 degrees.

On Thursday, UI announced several measures it is taking to assist fans in the heat. Those include:

• Fans will be permitted to enter the stadium with multiple sealed water bottles of any size.
  • Concession stands will sell bottled water inside the stadium at a reduced price.
  • Fans who need a break from the heat will be able to use an expanded rest area outside the First Aid Station at the southeast corner of the stadium. It will provide shelter, cool air and hydration.
  • Johnson County Homeland Security & Emergency Management Agency has provided an air-conditioned tent in Krause Family Plaza.
  • UIHC physicians and students from the Carver College of Medicine will be onsite to assist with patients.

“Heat illness cannot be underestimated,” said Kinnick Stadium Medical Director Azeemuddin Ahmed. “Fans can reduce their risk by starting to hydrate with water days prior to the game and continue throughout the game, wear breathable fabrics, seek shelter regularly to avoid the sun and ask for medical help if needed,”

Fans tailgating prior to the game are encouraged to plan accordingly and stay hydrated.

If you or someone attending the game needs medical assistance while at the game, alert CSC stadium staff or ask those around to signal for help.

The No. 25 Hawkeyes host Utah State at 11:03 a.m. The game is sold out and will be televised on FS1 and broadcast on the Hawkeye Radio Network.

Reactions: JupiterHawk
I can’t help but notice the UI athletic department is actually trying to be “fan friendly” in a small way. The big difference would be allowing fans to bring in more “outside” water to the game....I can never remember “the Administration” bending rules like that for hot weather games. It’s been hotter for games than what it will be tomorrow....but maybe “the new management” has some fan friendly ideas and wants to implement them?

Reactions: cigaretteman
Got my wardrobe picked out:

1920085-thickbox_default_720x720.jpg

I can’t help but notice the UI athletic department is actually trying to be “fan friendly” in a small way. The big difference would be allowing fans to bring in more “outside” water to the game....I can never remember “the Administration” bending rules like that for hot weather games. It’s been hotter for games than what it will be tomorrow....but maybe “the new management” has some fan friendly ideas and wants to implement them?
  • Fans will be permitted to enter the stadium with multiple sealed water bottles of any size.

I foresee both teams playing a LOT of players tomorrow.

And I would not be surprised that if Cade Mac does play (still don't believe it's an absolute given that he does), he gets a quick hook if they can jump to a fairly comfortable early lead. Last thing I'd think they'd want for him is to be running around with a somewhat recovered soft tissue injury in that heat.

I foresee both teams playing a LOT of players tomorrow.

And I would not be surprised that if Cade Mac does play (still don't believe it's an absolute given that he does), he gets a quick hook if they can jump to a fairly comfortable early lead. Last thing I'd think they'd want for him is to be running around with a somewhat recovered soft tissue injury in that heat.
You are confident! I have real reservations about Mac playing very much football at all this season. I hope I’m wrong…just a gut feeling…..Kirk doesn’t seem to have a lot of luck with QBs….

I remember Northern Illinois a few years back. They had free water stations. You know it's dangerous when they give away water for free

Reactions: Thunderlips71
You’ve always been able to bring in sealed bottles. It’s the number you can bring in that’s different.

You’ve always been able to bring in sealed bottles. It’s the number you can bring in that’s different.
Understood……it always was “1” before…at least now it is multiple……and size is not limited, either. In the past you were limited to 1 sealed bottle of only “X” amount of ounces.
atleast this seems to be a move in a more friendly direction.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Hottest game I ever remember is Kickoff Classic in KC. They shut off the drinking fountains so you had to buy water. I spend most of the second half sitting in the shade under the stands

Reactions: EasyHawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT