ADVERTISEMENT

Jake Heinrich

Our fans don't believe in the star system, which is why we've won the last 30 mythical national championships in a row.

Good exaggeration. Can we all agree, with the many issues Iowa has had as of late, reviewing and offering in state talent specifically O-line talent has not been one of them. Let's trust in this specific situation, there may be more to the story as to why we haven't offered and let's have faith/hope that it's a good reason.

Reactions: ozziesimmons22
Wasn't it a situation where Iowa wanted him to attend a camp first before we would offer, but he said he wouldn't come unless we offered first?

OL recruiting has been weird the last few years. We refused to offer the kid who's dad played here and called Iowa his dream school (Ruhland?) and then ended up at Notre Dame. Same with with the Foster kid currently committed to Minnesota. Four star legacy player that we apparently didn't want. None of the in-state OL signed in the last class had any other major offers, while ISU signs two kids from our back yard that we barely even looked at, including one that had KSU and Oregon State offers (only in-state player in the last class that had any major out of state offers). Then this year we offer two more kids that nobody else wants and are completely ignoring Heinrich, who has offers from Oregon and Arkansas.

Just bizarre.

It is amazing that anyone on this site would question Iowa's ability to recruit and develop the offensive line. Kirk and his coaches are looking for kids that prove they deserve a Scholarship. If Heinrich refused to attend camp because he felt he was too good then I would probably pass also.

I trust their ability to recruit and coach O-lines bottom line.

OL recruiting is the least of Iowa's worries. I love how all the haters only look at the offers rather than what schools are showing interest, too. Some in-state kids commit early enough that they don't get other offers from Power 5 schools. And what is wrong with wanting kids to come to camp before offering? Maybe Iowa wants to put them through their own drills vs. better athletes than what these kids normally face in high school.

Reactions: RedAgentRadar
OL recruiting is the least of Iowa's worries. I love how all the haters only look at the offers rather than what schools are showing interest, too. Some in-state kids commit early enough that they don't get other offers from Power 5 schools. And what is wrong with wanting kids to come to camp before offering? Maybe Iowa wants to put them through their own drills vs. better athletes than what these kids normally face in high school.

I disagree with this, if schools think you are worth it they will come into your state and offer. Ross P, Christian F, Arara D...

Don't delude yourself. I'm not saying our instate guys couldn't be players, but don't act like an Iowa commitment scares off other programs.

Has anybody done a list of the lineman and their development for the past 8 or so years to show how the coaches do it?

Yes. Because the fans are the ones who control who gets offered. :(

No, and I don't believe anyone said they do. I was simply stating why we could be towards the bottom of the conference in recruiting lately and our fans don't see it as a problem. Mostly because our boys "try really hard".

It is amazing that anyone on this site would question Iowa's ability to recruit and develop the offensive line. Kirk and his coaches are looking for kids that prove they deserve a Scholarship. If Heinrich refused to attend camp because he felt he was too good then I would probably pass also.

I trust their ability to recruit and coach O-lines bottom line.
I am with you 100%.

Matt, can you share with us what your criteria is for a great/good/average/bad lines? Is there a measurable or is it solely an educated opinion?

I have in the past (I even did a play-by-play grading breakdown covering a whole game) but not many are interested in learning anything. Knowledge gets in the way of their ignorant rants.
P.S. - I called him an idiot because he said both OT's were walk-ons...and because he is an idiot:)

Reactions: cohawk
He's a 247 Composite, Scout and ESPN 4*
On this board star references are to Rivals. Only Kilroy uses other services. Otherwise, we'd have to accept that up until today (I haven't had a chance to check since we added 3 today) we only have 1 2 star....and that's not going to happen. This is a test of your sarcasm-o-meter BTW. Kind of

Last edited:
Apparently Jake Heinrich is making an announcement at 6 today as stated on his twitter account.

Welp, we know it won't be Iowa, I would guess oregon.

Still amazes me he, Ruhland last year, and Foster didn't get offers.

Yeah, I know, Iowa and OL history. But regardless, I'm not impressed with the in-state group they brought in last year.

Reactions: Stuart Bloom

Yeah, I know, Iowa and OL history. But regardless, I'm not impressed with the in-state group they brought in last year.
Why do we "know"?

I'd guess Arkansas or ISU.

I wonder if he is good friends with Lazard. You would have to really like ISU to commit at this point knowing there is a pretty good chance this will be the last year for CPR. Doesn't mean that will happen but I think it is bowl or bust for Paul this year.

Wasn't it a situation where Iowa wanted him to attend a camp first before we would offer, but he said he wouldn't come unless we offered first?

OL recruiting has been weird the last few years. We refused to offer the kid who's dad played here and called Iowa his dream school (Ruhland?) and then ended up at Notre Dame. Same with with the Foster kid currently committed to Minnesota. Four star legacy player that we apparently didn't want. None of the in-state OL signed in the last class had any other major offers, while ISU signs two kids from our back yard that we barely even looked at, including one that had KSU and Oregon State offers (only in-state player in the last class that had any major out of state offers). Then this year we offer two more kids that nobody else wants and are completely ignoring Heinrich, who has offers from Oregon and Arkansas.

Just bizarre.

This would be a more effective argument if these guys went on to be really good players. Otherwise it's just chatter.

Reactions: ozziesimmons22
Evidently Jake Heinrich's announcement today was stating he will announce his college commitment on July 4th. Source is his twitter site.

hmm an announcement for a pre-announcement. what a time to be alive. So is the consensus that Iowa definitely will not offer this guy and he is not coming to the promised land?

I'm not impressed with your post ;)

I have a buddy who's son plays for Urbandale. He told me last summer that Heinrich will never get an offer from Iowa. I didn't ask why, but there must be a reason, and he obviously knew what he was talking about. Did not sound like a character issue. He likes the kid.

So he won't attend an Iowa camp without first receiving an offer, then he has a public announcement to advertise the upcoming date of his school selection..... I think I can understand why he doesn't have an Iowa offer.

So he won't attend an Iowa camp without first receiving an offer, then he has a public announcement to advertise the upcoming date of his school selection..... I think I can understand why he doesn't have an Iowa offer.
None of this mattered to Bielema or his O line coach-Sam Pittman. They have a decent history of putting guys into the NFL. The Iowa staff simply made a choice to take other players. Their eval of Foster, Ruhland,Heinrich,etc...differs from all the other coaches that decided these guys were worthy of an offer.

I actually think the Paulsens are going to be absolute studs. We probably won't know anything for a couple of years but I've heard the staff is really high on them and if there is one area this staff is pretty good at projecting, it is offensive lineman.

That said, I would love to see a few rated kids with lots of power 5 offers grab the remaining schollys in the 2016 class.

I actually think the Paulsens are going to be absolute studs. We probably won't know anything for a couple of years but I've heard the staff is really high on them and if there is one area this staff is pretty good at projecting, it is offensive lineman.

That said, I would love to see a few rated kids with lots of power 5 offers grab the remaining schollys in the 2016 class.

You know, I agree with you. I think Paulsens will be good toward the end of their career but they're big projects. The scary thing is that Iowa is young on the OL two deeps, a unit where typically has had more upperclassmen.

Iowa's biggest problem, by far, is a lack of talent at receiver, back, and QB.

Not going after this particular o-lineman is a very minor issue by comparison.

Of course o-line is important.

That's not what I wrote.

For whatever reason they chose, not recruiting this specific o-lineman is a minor issue among the recruiting deficiencies of this staff.

Yes, o-line looks to be less than stellar for next year. Which he wouldn't have helped anyway.
And the quality of the o-lines in the past 5 years has been average to above average for Ferentz tenure.
Of the issues Iowa has had with performance on the field, offensive line play would be fairly far down the list.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT