ADVERTISEMENT

Jeremiah Moody

Welcome aboard Mr. Moody glad you going after your dream
What I have read love your grit and it seems like you know at your young age that it is going to be a battle.
Coming to the best place to train and learn from the Brands brothers wishing you the best.

Welcome aboard. He has done very well given what is a very late starting point and limited experience for the sport. Getting right to Iowa will be good for him as he needs to learn the skills to help his folk style game. He has used raw athletic skills to do well in free and greco where you can wing it easier.

Moody

I do not believe Mitchell Port ever won a state championship--and he went to HS 5-6 miles from the bad guys. IMO, yes there are odds--but you never know, this may be the one that beats those odds--IMO, that is a good thing.

Port was a state champ. Went undefeated his senior year and beat Zach Horan in the finals.

Moody seems like a super coachable kid with a lot of upside for sure. I think he's the kind of kid that will do what the Brands tell him to do and he will get better and better. Might not see him doing damage til his later years since he started so late in wrestling, but him along with (Mejia, Marinelli, Kemerer,) are the type of kids Iowa needs.

Originally posted by Ihawkd9times:
Interesting and i welcome this kid. I see some upside with his age and is definatly a late bloomer. Most kids with these credentials I would think big deal. But his case is different. Lets see where it takes him.

I highly recomend the kid go the OTC route for a year then come back and redshirt so we really give him 2 year then he would be RS Fr in 3.

While I I know this isnt the Brands preference as he want them to train under him and not in Colorado, and IMO I dont like this because other coaches poach and recruit these kids and some never make it back, this may be the 1 out of 10 exception. Nothing to lose going the Montell Marion approach. Let him grow up and get a few years under his belt to catch up.

And if he commits elsewhere, well we have recruited a ton of other 149/157 room type guys already. Plus that OTC year buys him some seperation in eligibilty from them. Sure we could lose him but the risk is worth the OTC year. Never thought id say that lol.
This post was edited on 4/10 10:16 AM by Ihawkd9times
Who's to say he wants to go to the OTC or if they would take him? Why would you actually want a kid with his upside to go elsewhere and risk losing him? He will develop in the Iowa room, too. He looks to be 65/74. Fits in well now, worse in next years class.

Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM:

Originally posted by sloehawk:
Are you guys sure he's a class of 2015 senior?
This last summer he placed at the cadet level in Fargo. Most cadets are going into fresh/soph/junior year not going into their senior year.

Interesting he did better at Fargo placing 3rd & 4th than he did at the WI gr/fs tournaments placing 3rd & 5th.

I watched the posted video and was less than impressed but he obviously did something right to make the the 3rd place match in Fargo freestyle. Trackwrestling is showing Moody with an 11-0 major dec over Jack Jessen last month. Jessen is just a freshman but was in the national rankings at some point and was the IL 3A runner up at 170. Very legit win.

Results indicate potential but hopefully he has another year of high school left. Otherwise he will be a 16 or 17 year old kid (depending on birth month) trying to survive in a top D1 room this year.
The article I saw from Andy Hamilton listed his records for his Junior Year (40-4) and his Senior Year (45-2). Said as a Junior he didn't qualify for State, as he had the 1,2,3 eventual placers in his Sectional. I was 17 when I graduated from High School way back when, which is apparently the case with Moody, which probably explains his still being in with the Cadets last year (I don't know the age group rules off the top of my head, but I presume this is why).
Did you turn 18 later in the year you graduated?

He won't turn 18 this year. With a 1998 birth year he begin 2015 as a 16 year old. He either started school early or skipped a grade at some point.

Age and development wise he's like a kid that started wrestling in 8th grade, placed 3rd in state as a junior and then opted out of his senior year to train with the Hawkeyes. It will be interesting to track his development.
I did indeed turn 18 later in the same year I graduated. If he is that young, it is unheard of kind of stuff, to me anyway (except for the 13 year old prodigies that end up at Harvard................).

I don't think we have to worry about him starting anytime soon. He'll be around the same weight as Marinelli it appears, among others. Happy for him regardless.

Are you guys sure he's a class of 2015 senior?
This last summer he placed at the cadet level in Fargo. Most cadets are going into fresh/soph/junior year not going into their senior year.

Interesting he did better at Fargo placing 3rd & 4th than he did at the WI gr/fs tournaments placing 3rd & 5th.

I watched the posted video and was less than impressed but he obviously did something right to make the the 3rd place match in Fargo freestyle. Trackwrestling is showing Moody with an 11-0 major dec over Jack Jessen last month. Jessen is just a freshman but was in the national rankings at some point and was the IL 3A runner up at 170. Very legit win.

Results indicate potential but hopefully he has another year of high school left. Otherwise he will be a 16 or 17 year old kid (depending on birth month) trying to survive in a top D1 room this year.
The article I saw from Andy Hamilton listed his records for his Junior Year (40-4) and his Senior Year (45-2). Said as a Junior he didn't qualify for State, as he had the 1,2,3 eventual placers in his Sectional. I was 17 when I graduated from High School way back when, which is apparently the case with Moody, which probably explains his still being in with the Cadets last year (I don't know the age group rules off the top of my head, but I presume this is why).
Did you turn 18 later in the year you graduated?

He won't turn 18 this year. With a 1998 birth year he begin 2015 as a 16 year old. He either started school early or skipped a grade at some point.

Age and development wise he's like a kid that started wrestling in 8th grade, placed 3rd in state as a junior and then opted out of his senior year to train with the Hawkeyes. It will be interesting to track his development.
I did indeed turn 18 later in the same year I graduated. If he is that young, it is unheard of kind of stuff, to me anyway (except for the 13 year old prodigies that end up at Harvard................).

I don't think we have to worry about him starting anytime soon. He'll be around the same weight as Marinelli it appears, among others. Happy for him regardless.
I believe our own football team had a DE/LB that was 17 when he joined the hawks, Reggie Spearman I think. AND, he didn't even redshirt...

Originally posted by bman546:
First, Jeremiah Moody has only been wrestling. since 9th grade ( as the article stated and we are all aware). Yes, as an incoming freshmen and even a sophomore, he will get his butt kicked in the room. However, to place in both styles at Fargo after only 3 years of wrestling shows how committed he is and how hard he has worked. Student athletes are measured by their upside, or how much they will develop over their college years. His rate of improvement has been nothing short of extraordinary. With all due respect though, he is young for a high school senior, He was still a cadet last year at Fargo, He has a 1998 birth year. However, his 3rd place in Greco probably showed more about him than if he had won. He lost his first round match, then he rattled off 9 straight wins to scratch and claw back to 3rd. The grind and the mental toughness to do that is also a window into his mentality. I am sure he will compete in the Junior division this summer so we will see how he does. Also, since Morningstar has experience with one of Moody's club coaches, I am sure he spoke extremely highly of his character and work ethic. I know he will take more than his share of beat downs in the room, but I also know he is mentally tough and focused enough to develop into a highly valued member of the team even if he never earns a spot in the line up. The value to the team is not limited to how many team points you earn at the NCAAs. It is based on did you make those around work harder and get better.
Great post.

Originally posted by SPOONER:

Interesting and i welcome this kid. I see some upside with his age and is definatly a late bloomer. Most kids with these credentials I would think big deal. But his case is different. Lets see where it takes him.

I highly recomend the kid go the OTC route for a year then come back and redshirt so we really give him 2 year then he would be RS Fr in 3.

While I I know this isnt the Brands preference as he want them to train under him and not in Colorado, and IMO I dont like this because other coaches poach and recruit these kids and some never make it back, this may be the 1 out of 10 exception. Nothing to lose going the Montell Marion approach. Let him grow up and get a few years under his belt to catch up.

And if he commits elsewhere, well we have recruited a ton of other 149/157 room type guys already. Plus that OTC year buys him some seperation in eligibilty from them. Sure we could lose him but the risk is worth the OTC year. Never thought id say that lol.

Who's to say he wants to go to the OTC or if they would take him? Why would you actually want a kid with his upside to go elsewhere and risk losing him? He will develop in the Iowa room, too. He looks to be 65/74. Fits in well now, worse in next years class.
Nobody said it. I did. All he is is upside at this time. Need to get creative on buying him an extra year before his eligibility clock starts. Of course he would have to be open to it. Thought that was implied.

I was throwing it out there and figured it would get someone all bent up for nothing. But lets be honest. the kid is nothing more than project at this point. He needs work. If The staff lost him to another program so be it. Its not like I was recomending Kemmerer for this. But from the sounds of it he seems to have that mentality that would find its way back in the room.

And would the OTC take him? I dont see any reason why not. They take about anyone. You act like Terry Brands cant make one call and have it lined up lol. Miklus went this route as well. Miklus found a way to delay his clock starting. Heck if Moody was interested in that then see if any other incoming kid would want to go with for a year so he isnt alone. Wouldnt be a bad idea for one of the Bett kids or a Guenther. Of course they have to be open to it but its a conversation i would explore if i was coaching.

Originally posted by SPOONER:

Nobody said it. I did. All he is is upside at this time. Need to get creative on buying him an extra year before his eligibility clock starts. Of course he would have to be open to it. Thought that was implied.

I was throwing it out there and figured it would get someone all bent up for nothing. But lets be honest. the kid is nothing more than project at this point. He needs work. If The staff lost him to another program so be it. Its not like I was recomending Kemmerer for this. But from the sounds of it he seems to have that mentality that would find its way back in the room.

And would the OTC take him? I dont see any reason why not. They take about anyone. You act like Terry Brands cant make one call and have it lined up lol. Miklus went this route as well. Miklus found a way to delay his clock starting. Heck if Moody was interested in that then see if any other incoming kid would want to go with for a year so he isnt alone. Wouldnt be a bad idea for one of the Bett kids or a Guenther. Of course they have to be open to it but its a conversation i would explore if i was coaching.
What are the costs of going to the OTC? Just wondered.

When I first saw the story I thought we got Jabari Moody and got real excited. Was a little disappointed when I realized that wasn't the case. Kids do improve however. I recall when Alex Meyer signed, someone on this board said he would never "sniff the starting lineup". Now Alex will be favored to finish next year as an AA. Guys who get it get tend to get better.

What about a prep year at Blair or Wyoming Seminary based on financial means? Good folkstyle coaching and practice partners which I believe would benefit him more than a year training freestyle due to his lack of knowledge and comfortableness in folkstyle plus a top notch year of education. He's a fantastic athlete and you never know what being in that training environment for a year could do for him.

Maybe in Jeremiah Moody the Hawkeyes have found the next Keith Gavin. If I am not mistaken Gavin was not a state placer in HS but ended up a multiple time AA and national champion. His placing at Fargo is hopefully and indicator of his growth potential. Welcome to the Hawkeyes Mr. Moody.

Gavin placed a couple times, 3rd his senior year. Phil Davis may be a better comparison. Started wrestling in 8th grade, never won a district title, best finish at states was 4th and he went on to be a four time AA and National Champ.

Originally posted by Flying_Tiger:
Gavin placed a couple times, 3rd his senior year. Phil Davis may be a better comparison. Started wrestling in 8th grade, never won a district title, best finish at states was 4th and he went on to be a four time AA and National Champ.
A comparison to Phil Davis would be highly complimentary. Davis is my second all-time favorite PSU wrestler -- just behind Kerry McCoy.

This is a great pickup. Costs next to nothing as far as $$$ and the kid has a high ceiling. Of course there is a chance he could bust, but that chance is there with every kid, heck one of Iowa's highest ranked recruits in the last five years is Nate Skoniecny and how did that work out. Misses happen, but you have to keep on swinging and this is a swing for the fences type of kid. He could be a home run or he could be gone in a year.

If he does work out though the ceiling is very high which is how you win championships.

He reminds me very much of Ty Walz, the Heavyweight at Virginia Tech. He started wrestling in 9th grade. As a Junior, he competed in Cadets at Fargo and won (he was young for his grade like Moody, and he beat a Freshmen Adam Coon in the finals). Here was a kid who did not qualify to the State Tournament as a Junior then he became a Cadet Freestyle National Champ. He was a 220 in High School and finally placed as a Senior, losing to Nick Tavanello now of Ohio State. He actually lost to Tavanello about a dozen times over three years at the same weight class. He was a tweener, too small for Heavyweight to big for 197. He was not ranked in the top 100 kids on DICW. He was an athlete with a high ceiling though and Virginia Tech gave him a shot.

He redshirted. Fast forward to this year, he is their starter and qualified for NCAA's and AA'd. Oh and he beat Nick Tavanello a long the way, as well as Billy Smith of Rutgers and Kroells of Minnesota two other guys he lost to in High School.

I love signings like this. Swing for the fences.

This post was edited on 4/13 8:16 PM by JustWrestle133

Just wondering here but how much did Larry get from Minnesota in terms of wrestling scholarship money?

Iowa offered more... just kidding... maybe....

You don't seriously expect me to answer that do you?

Originally posted by DayHawk18:
Just wondering here but how much did Larry get from Minnesota in terms of wrestling scholarship money?
Seriously?
chairshot.r191677.gif

Iowa offered more... just kidding... maybe....

You don't seriously expect me to answer that do you?
lol. Please post your bank statements and SSN when you get around to it

Lol no I didn't. A friend of mine, his son went to Illinois and he made sure to let us know exactly how much he was getting from every school. Never understood why parents would brag about that but wanted to see if you'd do the same. Good luck to him at Minnesota though (never thought I'd say that).

A fully funded program only has 9.9 Scholarships to give out. So, while we don't know how much money recruits are getting exactly you can use some reasoning to figure out roughly where that money is going. Some kids qualify for academic money, some kids qualify for needs based aid, also a big difference for kids who qualify for in State tuition vs out of State, then you have kids who qualify for Pell Grants. This is all information which are bread crumbs to the larger picture.

All I said was Moody was not costing the program a lot of money of the 9.9 athletic Scholarships, which I maintain. I also maintain that Moody is a interesting recruit with a lot of upside.

I would find it highly doubtful that Moody had any division I
interest. A third place showing in the smallest class division
would put him a doubtful division 3 level wrestler in college. However,
maybe there is more to the story than meets the eye.

The current class we signed has many wrestlers in it. I'd say many of them have way less potential upside than Moody. Good luck to him.

Watch this video and even though he gets outclassed at points, you tell me which prospect you would rather have for the next 5 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFSOJXk7Hn0

I think the double Fargo AA and the fact that he's only been wrestling since 9th grade makes him a little different than your typical 3rd placer in the smallest division in a not so strong state.

"JustWrestle133 posted on 4/14/2015:
A fully funded program only has 9.9 Scholarships to give out. So, while we don't know how much money recruits are getting exactly you can use some reasoning to figure out roughly where that money is going. Some kids qualify for academic money, some kids qualify for needs based aid, also a big difference for kids who qualify for in State tuition vs out of State, then you have kids who qualify for Pell Grants. This is all information which are bread crumbs to the larger picture.

All I said was Moody was not costing the program a lot of money of the 9.9 athletic Scholarships, which I maintain. I also maintain that Moody is a interesting recruit with a lot of upside."

Unless you know the particulars of each program as far as what money is assigned to what wrestlers and the whys behind how the coach is deciding to disperse money every year you shouldn't assume to know what a prospect is costing the program.

You just listed many of the reasons why you don't have any idea what scholly money is used on individual recruits and not the other way around. Best guy in the room may cost a full or no athletic scholly money and anything in between. Other guys could cost anywhere in there as well depending on what it took to get him on campus, how bad the coach wants him on campus and what money is available. To assume "x" amount is what any guy is getting based on where you slot him is silly.

Homework assignment for you:
Pull up Iowa's current roster and tell me how much of the 9.9 every guy is getting. If you are more than 50% accurate you either have privy to Iowas financials or you would have been better off using that bit of luck on a lottery ticket.

All I said was Moody was not costing the program a lot of money of the 9.9 athletic Scholarships, which I maintain. I also maintain that Moody is a interesting recruit with a lot of upside."

Unless you know the particulars of each program as far as what money is assigned to what wrestlers and the whys behind how the coach is deciding to disperse money every year you shouldn't assume to know what a prospect is costing the program.

You just listed many of the reasons why you don't have any idea what scholly money is used on individual recruits and not the other way around. Best guy in the room may cost a full or no athletic scholly money and anything in between. Other guys could cost anywhere in there as well depending on what it took to get him on campus, how bad the coach wants him on campus and what money is available. To assume "x" amount is what any guy is getting based on where you slot him is silly.

Pull up Iowa's current roster and tell me how much of the 9.9 every guy is getting. If you are more than 50% accurate you either have privy to Iowas financials or you would have been better off using that bit of luck on a lottery ticket.
I think it's safe to say young Mr. Moody isn't breaking Iowa's scholarship bank, which is what justwrestle is portraying.

I am not trying to stir the pot but would it have been better to sign Racer or Moody? Based on they both probably didn't get any money.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Parts of this conversation and the one in the "working class kids" thread illustrate a line of thought that I find problematic. I don't believe that starting kids wrestling at age 6 and focusing on that one sport is necessarily good for the kids - or for the sport. There seems to be a growing trend where the best youth coaching talent is gravitating to operating private clubs, ala Pablo Ubasa and, now, Jay Borschel. I know many middle school coaches and they are universally faced with the same set of challenges: little parental support, lack of facilities, not enough kids participating and multiple duties. Most of them are teachers and also coach other sports.

If we value the educational aspect of wrestling, if we believe that certain life lessons are best learned on the mat, then wouldn't middle school be a good place to get them started? The mindset that a late start is impossible to overcome or that "upside" has no value harms the growth of youth participation. The Beat the Streets programs are showing that kids can start in grades 6, 7 or 8 and have success. Four "late start" kids from Beat the Streets-Baltimore just finished as All-Americans at the NHSCA Middle School National Championships.

Okay, I'm climbing down off of the soap box and hoping that young Mr. Moody can prove the value of "upside".

I think it's safe to say young Mr. Moody isn't breaking Iowa's scholarship bank, which is what justwrestle is portraying.
I know what he's saying. Although it was his post that prompted my response, my posts were not really for him personally or about Moody's situation specifically.

I've always thought the same thing whenever someone speculates about how much money kids are getting or "make sure we have money still available for x recruit" If we don't know how much money is available for incoming guys from year to year, what difference does it make? Discuss away on the recruits but since non of us are privy to what's going on with the money, why pretend we are. We don't know and it doesn't matter. So let the coaches worry about balancing the books and quit making statements, that are wrong more often than not, about scholly money.

Sorry for the mini rant on the subject guys, just a pet peeve of mine.

I know what he's saying. Although it was his post that prompted my response, my posts were not really for him personally or about Moody's situation specifically.

I've always thought the same thing whenever someone speculates about how much money kids are getting or "make sure we have money still available for x recruit" If we don't know how much money is available for incoming guys from year to year, what difference does it make? Discuss away on the recruits but since non of us are privy to what's going on with the money, why pretend we are. We don't know and it doesn't matter. So let the coaches worry about balancing the books and quit making statements, that are wrong more often than not, about scholly money.

Sorry for the mini rant on the subject guys, just a pet peeve of mine.
+1

Originally posted by hawkfan31:
I am not trying to stir the pot but would it have been better to sign Racer or Moody? Based on they both probably didn't get any money.
Racer is not going to run off to VT for no money. Comparing him to Moody is like apples and oranges at this point. Racer would have required more investment, plain and simple. When you have Kemerer and Marinelli (not to mention Erickson and Young) coming in at 157/165 then you have to decide which gain best fits the payout required given they already have invested in other guys in the weight range. It sounds like Racer wanted to go to Iowa. The Iowa coaches obviously decided not to go that route. Time will tell if it was a good choice or not.

Originally posted by MVPFAN:

Originally posted by hawkfan31:
Racer is not going to run off to VT for no money. Comparing him to Moody is like apples and oranges at this point. Racer would have required more investment, plain and simple. When you have Kemerer and Marinelli (not to mention Erickson and Young) coming in at 157/165 then you have to decide which gain best fits the payout required given they already have invested in other guys in the weight range. It sounds like Racer wanted to go to Iowa. The Iowa coaches obviously decided not to go that route. Time will tell if it was a good choice or not.
There are other factors than talent and scholarship money to consider with Racer. This isn't a "Racer Or Moody" situation.

This isn't in reply to you MVP but just an observation. Here we have a talented kid in Moody who wants to come to Iowa, be in our program and see what he can develop into and we have fans actually saying they think he should go somewhere else. WTF is wrong with some people?

Reactions: Huck
Spooner,

Got ya, I was not in any way saying anything against Moody. I feel he is an upside situation all the way, Just pointing out him vs Racer is not really an applicable comparison. I agree with your comment about some of the previous suggestions.

ADVERTISEMENT