ADVERTISEMENT

Jeremiah Moody

If we have a shot at Hall at all, this is best for the Hawks. Word is there is bad blood between Racer and Hall.

Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM:

Originally posted by sloehawk:
Originally posted by PapaBearSLIM:
"JustWrestle133 posted on 4/14/2015:
A fully funded program only has 9.9 Scholarships to give out. So, while we don't know how much money recruits are getting exactly you can use some reasoning to figure out roughly where that money is going. Some kids qualify for academic money, some kids qualify for needs based aid, also a big difference for kids who qualify for in State tuition vs out of State, then you have kids who qualify for Pell Grants. This is all information which are bread crumbs to the larger picture.

All I said was Moody was not costing the program a lot of money of the 9.9 athletic Scholarships, which I maintain. I also maintain that Moody is a interesting recruit with a lot of upside."

Unless you know the particulars of each program as far as what money is assigned to what wrestlers and the whys behind how the coach is deciding to disperse money every year you shouldn't assume to know what a prospect is costing the program.

You just listed many of the reasons why you don't have any idea what scholly money is used on individual recruits and not the other way around. Best guy in the room may cost a full or no athletic scholly money and anything in between. Other guys could cost anywhere in there as well depending on what it took to get him on campus, how bad the coach wants him on campus and what money is available. To assume "x" amount is what any guy is getting based on where you slot him is silly.

Homework assignment for you:
Pull up Iowa's current roster and tell me how much of the 9.9 every guy is getting. If you are more than 50% accurate you either have privy to Iowas financials or you would have been better off using that bit of luck on a lottery ticket.
I think it's safe to say young Mr. Moody isn't breaking Iowa's scholarship bank, which is what justwrestle is portraying.
I know what he's saying. Although it was his post that prompted my response, my posts were not really for him personally or about Moody's situation specifically.

I've always thought the same thing whenever someone speculates about how much money kids are getting or "make sure we have money still available for x recruit" If we don't know how much money is available for incoming guys from year to year, what difference does it make? Discuss away on the recruits but since non of us are privy to what's going on with the money, why pretend we are. We don't know and it doesn't matter. So let the coaches worry about balancing the books and quit making statements, that are wrong more often than not, about scholly money.

Sorry for the mini rant on the subject guys, just a pet peeve of mine.
Understood. Agreed that the Coaches are the ones who have to deal with it, and since most here know that nobody knows, you just take it with a grain of salt and move on. An opinion, not an argument.

People speculate to be sure, trying to put together the money puzzle that comes with 9.9 scholarships. I do believe common sense and logic will get you pretty close in these situations, but ultimately it's the Coaches who have to worry about it I guess. As a fan, you just hope they are using the money to field the best team possible.

Now I want to know about the sweet condo in downtown Minneapolis that JRob got for you to attend home meets .........
wink.r191677.gif

Originally posted by HIWILLE:
If we have a shot at Hall at all, this is best for the Hawks. Word is there is bad blood between Racer and Hall.
Not sure it that's a factor, but if it is, so be it I guess.

Virginia Tech has a good program, odd since they were going off the face of the earth when Brands left (yes, it's sarcasm, and very much intended..). Racer is a real good recruit, he'll help them I believe. Sounds like a good spot for him to land. Good for him, good for them.

Racer is a talent, no doubt and will likely have success at VA tech. That being said, our coaching staff has stacked our roster at 157/165. I'm confident both Kemmerer and Marinelli will have better college careers than Racer. Moody looks like he could develop with a solid program like Iowa, so who knows. I'll be interested in watching him progress.

DayHawk18 I wouldn't call WI high school wrestling a "not so strong state.". Since 2004 how many Iowa High School wrestlers have gone on to make a World or Olympic team? I can only think of Schwab. Off the top of my head, Wisconsin has, Hall, Gruenwald, Lowney, Sieracki, Provisor, Thielke, and Dieringer and his Jr. World Silver last year wasn't too shabby either. There is an obvious leaning to Greco after high school in WI (probably due to the Greco success Hall had for so long) but look at what they did in Fargo etc. Wisconsin high school wrestling is every bit as tough of Iowa.

Wisconsin has produced a bunch of studs. Throw the Askren brothers in there, and that's a pretty salty list of guys who have gone on to do great things after high school. I think Wisconsin is underrated in terms of the high school talent they produce. Shoot -- I didn't realize Dieringer was a Wisconsin product until just a few months ago. They've produced some really tough kids over the years -- more than many fans realize, I'd guess.

Originally posted by WWDMHawkeye:
Wisconsin has produced a bunch of studs. Throw the Askren brothers in there, and that's a pretty salty list of guys who have gone on to do great things after high school. I think Wisconsin is underrated in terms of the high school talent they produce. Shoot -- I didn't realize Dieringer was a Wisconsin product until just a few months ago. They've produced some really tough kids over the years -- more than many fans realize, I'd guess.
Iowa natives in the past 20 years are just Schwab, Tolly Thompson, and the Brands brothers isn't it? Uggh... Hard to believe that's all there is. And the Brands have to be practically all of 20 years ago.

Iowa natives in the past 20 years are just Schwab, Tolly Thompson, and the Brands brothers isn't it? Uggh... Hard to believe that's all there is. And the Brands have to be practically all of 20 years ago.
Past 20 years? Are you kidding?
Jay Borschel, Lee Fullhart, Mark Ironside, Eric Juergens, Matt McDonough, Jeff McGinness, Cliff Moore, Derek St. John, Doug Schwab, Daryl Weber, Jesse Whitmer, Kyven Gadson, Andrew Long, Wes Hand, Trent Hynek, Trent Paulson, Travis Paulson, Joe Colon . . .Cory Clark, Thomas Gilman . . .

DayHawk18 I wouldn't call WI high school wrestling a "not so strong state.". Since 2004 how many Iowa High School wrestlers have gone on to make a World or Olympic team? I can only think of Schwab. Off the top of my head, Wisconsin has, Hall, Gruenwald, Lowney, Sieracki, Provisor, Thielke, and Dieringer and his Jr. World Silver last year wasn't too shabby either. There is an obvious leaning to Greco after high school in WI (probably due to the Greco success Hall had for so long) but look at what they did in Fargo etc. Wisconsin high school wrestling is every bit as tough of Iowa.

If Wisconsin gets to count Dieringer, I think it's fair to count Thomas Gilman and his Junior Bronze medal last year. Also, didn't one of the Paulson Brothers wrestle at a World tournament. 2010 maybe?

If Wisconsin gets to count Dieringer, I think it's fair to count Thomas Gilman and his Junior Bronze medal last year. Also, didn't one of the Paulson Brothers wrestle at a World tournament. 2010 maybe?

I misunderstood the issue here. Over the last 25 years Iowa has had US World Freestyle team members Terry Brands (4 time member; three medals - two gold and a bronze), Tom Brands (4 time team member - two gold, including Olympic Gold), Doug Schwab (two time team member), Tolly Thompson (two time team member - bronze medal), Travis Paulson, and Trent Paulson.

Wisconsin has had Ben Askren (one time team member - no medal) and Tim Hartung (2002 team member - DNC).

With rare exception, US greco wrestlers are guys that can't make the freestyle team. Don't get mad at me, that's just the truth.

Reactions: LBlindHawk
With rare exception, US greco wrestlers are guys that can't make the freestyle team. Don't get mad at me, that's just the truth.

With rare exception, US freestyle wrestlers are guys that can't make the Greco team. Don't get mad at me, that's just the truth.

That's the state of affairs currently - not 20 years ago. There have been a few guys who have tried to make the switch recently - that you are implying is an easy one - from freestyle to greco.

With rare exception, US freestyle wrestlers are guys that can't make the Greco team. Don't get mad at me, that's just the truth.

That's the state of affairs currently - not 20 years ago. There have been a few guys who have tried to make the switch recently - that you are implying is an easy one - from freestyle to greco.

I don't understand your post. Are yor saying the currently our best wrestler are on the greco side? If so, give some examples.

Past 20 years? Are you kidding?
Jay Borschel, Lee Fullhart, Mark Ironside, Eric Juergens, Matt McDonough, Jeff McGinness, Cliff Moore, Derek St. John, Doug Schwab, Daryl Weber, Jesse Whitmer, Kyven Gadson, Andrew Long, Wes Hand, Trent Hynek, Trent Paulson, Travis Paulson, Joe Colon . . .Cory Clark, Thomas Gilman . . .

I'm 99.999% sure not all of these guys made World or Olympic teams.

I'm 99.999% sure not all of these guys made World or Olympic teams.
If you'd read down a little further I say I misunderstood the topic and corrected my post to list Iowan on world freestyle teams.

I don't understand your post. Are yor saying the currently our best wrestler are on the greco side? If so, give some examples.

Our best wrestlers in Greco are on the Greco side...

If you want to assert that our top NCAA folkstyle wrestlers tend to gravitate towards freestyle, I will agree. The styles are closer and it leads to more success.

But our top Greco wrestlers now are training Greco pretty much exclusively, and training Greco at an earlier age.

I don't think Jordan Burroughs is going to switch to Greco and become dominant, or even make our world team.

First of all, my comment regarding the number of World Team or Olympic Team members to come from WI high schools was in response to WI being referred to as a "not so strong state." I merely pointed out the number of WI kids making those teams. I never insinuated WI was better or vice versa.. I literally typed as I went off the top of my head. I did omit Paulson, and Thompson, just as I forgot about Askren.
I think I made my point that that WI is far from being a "not so strong state" with regards to high school wrestling. Also, don't think for a second that Greco guys are those that failed at freestyle, or can't make the freestyle team. Our Greco guys are simply those that prefer Greco and decided to focus on that style with dreams of making/winning Olympic Gold. Since college wrestling does not prepare you as well for the next level of Greco, many do not compete at the college level. Instead they just train in Greco immediately after high school. Didn't anyone notice Hazewinkel could not make the World Team in Greco, so he moved to freestyle and made the Olympic Team? Go back and find the friendly match between Burroughs and Harry (now, since joining the Army, using his given name Justin) Lester. Lester hadn't wrestled freestyle or folkstyle in years. We don't have weaker wrestlers moving to one style over the other. We have wrestlers that would be good in whatever style they decided to focus on.
Back to the original thread. Moody has tremendous upside (besides, not ever making the line up is not a downside), you always need bodies in the room, he is a smart kid and got money because of academics etc.

Reactions: dicemen99
Oh Wisconsin has good high school wrestling but I do not believe it is a top tier high school state. It has produced a lot of talent but not so much depth. I'm actually from Wisconsin (Milwaukee area until I moved to Florida). I was merely replying to the general consensus about why we are recruiting Moody.

Our best wrestlers in Greco are on the Greco side...

If you want to assert that our top NCAA folkstyle wrestlers tend to gravitate towards freestyle, I will agree. The styles are closer and it leads to more success.

But our top Greco wrestlers now are training Greco pretty much exclusively, and training Greco at an earlier age.

I don't think Jordan Burroughs is going to switch to Greco and become dominant, or even make our world team.

Okay - truce. But I will go to my grave believing that nobody outside of Ray Brinzer voluntarily became a greco-roman wrestler. It's the lutefish of sport.

I am not trying to stir the pot but would it have been better to sign Racer or Moody? Based on they both probably didn't get any money.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

If we would have gotten Racer you could kiss any chance with Hall good bye!!!! That's about all I going to say about Racer....

Okay - truce. But I will go to my grave believing that nobody outside of Ray Brinzer voluntarily became a greco-roman wrestler. It's the lutefish of sport.

I don't think you fully understand the Greco culture. There are plenty of Greco guys who just love the style and grow up training under former Greco wrestlers. As bman546 mentioned above, a good number of them never wrestle in college and just go right into training Greco. It's hard to say how these guys would have done if they'd wrestled folkstyle for 5 years and gone into freestyle, but it's inaccurate to say that guys don't become Greco wrestlers by choice. There are plenty of examples to the contrary. It's not my favorite style, but some guys love it and choose to focus on it from an early age.

I don't think you fully understand the Greco culture. There are plenty of Greco guys who just love the style and grow up training under former Greco wrestlers. As bman546 mentioned above, a good number of them never wrestle in college and just go right into training Greco. It's hard to say how these guys would have done if they'd wrestled folkstyle for 5 years and gone into freestyle, but it's inaccurate to say that guys don't become Greco wrestlers by choice. There are plenty of examples to the contrary. It's not my favorite style, but some guys love it and choose to focus on it from an early age.

I just stated a tongue in cheek opinion. No need to make a big issue of it.

Didn't make a big issue of it -- just disagreed. With all due respect, that was some really subtle humor.

I misunderstood the issue here. Over the last 25 years Iowa has had US World Freestyle team members Terry Brands (4 time member; three medals - two gold and a bronze), Tom Brands (4 time team member - two gold, including Olympic Gold), Doug Schwab (two time team member), Tolly Thompson (two time team member - bronze medal), Travis Paulson, and Trent Paulson.

Wisconsin has had Ben Askren (one time team member - no medal) and Tim Hartung (2002 team member - DNC).

Was this just a "tongue in cheek opinion", too? Sure doesn't look to me like you're kidding here.

Last year he had a better showing in Fargo than he did in the WI freco tournaments a few months earlier. He'd have to be a double Fargo champ for that to be the case this year.

Last year he had a better showing in Fargo than he did in the WI freco tournaments a few months earlier. He'd have to be a double Fargo champ for that to be the case this year.

I was thinking something along these similar lines. He was the runner-up in both styles. Sure his finals match wasn't pretty, but he was a two-time finalist, not like he was awful.

There were quite a few state champions from Iowa that didn't win GR or FS titles this past weekend

Jeez, folks, why are we so negatively obsessed about a kid who (a) wants to commit to work his tail off in a "room" we all consider the toughest in the country and (b) is probably doing so with no financial incentives? Why can't we just admire the kids spunk (unless you are Lou Grant and hate spunk)?

Daniel Dennis...who wouldn't want to fill their team with a bunch of him every year...

GG, I like your post it, and I especially like the Lou Grant/MTM reference.

Once again, Moody was a Cadet last year, and he is wrestling in the Junior division this year. Also, he isn't supposed to be A grade D1 material. He is a project with a huge upside demonstrated by his very fast learning curve since he only started wrestling in 9th grade. There is no need or reason to knock a kid who does everything right. Excellent student, hard worker, very aggressive wrestler. I am turning in to Coach Gundy....
"Here's all that kid did; he goes to class, he's respectful to the media, he's respectful to the public, and he's a good kid. And he's not a professional athlete, and he doesn't deserve to be kicked when he's down."

Not only did Moody put up an impressive showing, but Bye finally got his act together. I'm tired of seeing Bye lose every time he faces anyone with another name!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT