ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Wieskamp

hawk-i bob

HR Heisman
Oct 1, 2007
Iowa City
spoke with HS coach whose has seen him play .... "approaches the game the right way and u can tell he works at it"...growing up a Hawkeye fan I would think he is ours'''' and Fran wasted no time getting him to Iowa City right after the Hoiberg offer.

as far as Devonte Lane...since the first thread on Hoiberg's offer got derailed...this reminds me a little of the Lohaus kid committing to UNI soon after they offered...Fran just wasn't ready at that point in time...I have always felt had Lohaus been a little more patient..he would have been offered & been in an Iowa uniform...Lohaus would have been Ellingson...not saying that is good or less good...and I certainly understand why Lohaus grabbed the UNI offer while it was available.

if Lane stays patient...its not impossible to think Fran will offer...

I'm slightly confused on your quote, did the HS coach say he thought he would be a Hawkeye, or is that your interpretation?

Not to hijack the thread, but since it's relevant recruiting news, Charlie Moore dropped 26 and 49(!) in games this weekend

spoke with HS coach whose has seen him play .... "approaches the game the right way and u can tell he works at it"...growing up a Hawkeye fan I would think he is ours'''' and Fran wasted no time getting him to Iowa City right after the Hoiberg offer.

as far as Devonte Lane...since the first thread on Hoiberg's offer got derailed...this reminds me a little of the Lohaus kid committing to UNI soon after they offered...Fran just wasn't ready at that point in time...I have always felt had Lohaus been a little more patient..he would have been offered & been in an Iowa uniform...Lohaus would have been Ellingson...not saying that is good or less good...and I certainly understand why Lohaus grabbed the UNI offer while it was available.

if Lane stays patient...its not impossible to think Fran will offer...
Also saw a little tidbit this morning in the St. Paul Pioneer Press (Charley Walters column), that Iowa State offered a scholarship to 6' 8' 8th grader Matthew Hurt from Rochester, MN. The Gophers have offered his older brother - Michael who is 6'7" (didn't say what class he was in). The same column said the "latest buzz" was Hoiberg would be the Bulls next Coach, not the Timberwolves. I personally don't think Freddy is going anywhere, just saw this in a column and mentioning it here.

Reactions: nu2u
Here watching the Barnstormers in a Fort Wayne. Weiskamp kid is special. AJ Green is very good as well. 15u stormers play next in finals here. Got to watch some other very good Iowa talent this week against the top Midwest talent.

I'm slightly confused on your quote, did the HS coach say he thought he would be a Hawkeye, or is that your interpretation?

weiskamp has said to the media he is a hawkeye fan....no secret there. I just wanted to know Curt Clarks' take on the kid....since his team played against him.

15u a Stormers win the Spiece in Fort Wayne. Joe Weiskamp was very solid. AJ a Green is a great talent. Might have been player of the game. Davonte Lane and Connor McCaffrey with very good for the 16u. Non Stormers I watched were Shammond Ivory and Ryan Kriener.

Interesting that the two best state players , recently, Barnes and McDermott, are both from Ames but neither attended school at ISU.

Shammond Ivory had another solid tourney. The Kriener kid put up 26 on John Teske the Michigan commit. I saw couple other games where he scored in the mid 20's. He's having big spring.

I like Kriener and his upside... saw one game last year on mediacom connections and was impressed with his ability to run the court for a big. Long arms too make him play bigger.

as far as Devonte Lane...this reminds me a little of the Lohaus kid committing to UNI soon after they offered...Fran just wasn't ready at that point in time...I have always felt had Lohaus been a little more patient..he would have been offered & been in an Iowa uniform...Lohaus would have been Ellingson...not saying that is good or less good...and I certainly understand why Lohaus grabbed the UNI offer while it was available.

Don't forget when UNI offered Lohaus the summer after his Sophomore year, the hyperactive heart issue was still a major concern. Until he had surgery following his senior year, it was common for Wyatt to dunk his head in a bucket of ice to slow down blood flow. This likely had many schools concerned, ala Hank Gathers at Loyola Marymount. I know Jeremy Morgan was a year ahead of Wyatt, but the offers to each may have helped UNI land, each.

I am sure the Lohaus' felt a loyalty to Ben Jacobson for the early offer. I have no inside information, but I doubt there was little anyone could do at any time to sway Wyatt from UNI. You might have noticed the Panthers offered Western Dubuque's Spencer Haldeman very early, too, perhaps as insurance in case Lohaus' health didn't pan out.

It has been UNI's pattern to offer in state kids early, and often to the exclusion of Iowa and Iowa State. Seth Tuttle turned out to be the best collegian of any Iowa high schoooler in the class of 2010 not named Barnes or McDermott. Our state has more than decent in state talent. UNI has mined it better than anybody, and will have the last 3 Gatorade Iowa players of the year. I think Iowa and Iowa State have taken notice, and are starting to pay more attention to what is closer to home.

I'm of the mind when it comes to Freshman high schoolers, I suppose you could almost toss offers out like candy, because they don't really amount to a hill of beans. A college coach's job is to have the best 19 - 23 year old players he can find. There is no way to know if a 15 year old, guard is going to fit that category. Remember Seth Bonifas from Dubuque Senior, who was offered as a soon to be Freshman in September, 2010 because he was 6-9? He never grew an inch. Never substantially improved, and was maybe 3rd team all state as a senior. MAYBE. Perhaps more likely honorable mention.

Fran, the Bonifas family, and Seth himself knew, he was D2. So, the verbal offer from September 2010 was allowed to evaporate into the wind by the spring of his junior year. He averaged 3 points a game as a Freshman at Missouri Western this season.

Wieskamp likely is tearing up AAU already this spring. If he can average 18 points a game as a varsity Freshman, I bet he looks pretty good against competition that's strictly 15 years old. He's a good shooter at 6-5. That's not easy to find. He has more savvy and court presence than Seth Bonifas will ever have. Bonifas had the body early, but never acquired the skill. Wieskamp has skill. The body likely will fill out. Iowa and Iowa State are hoping he'll add an inch or inches. If his body and skill set don't expand, no harm- no foul, literally, as he'll find his way to his appropriate level, and verbal offers from the spring of 2015 can be treated as ancient history.

Lane impresses me as a player who has always been stronger than others in his age group, but his frame is about maxed out as a Sophomore. 6-1 guards benefiting from brute force rather than skilled shooting are hard to project. If he doesn't get a reliable shot, his upside is tapped out.

Identifying teenagers and projecting if they can play in ___ years involves a lot of luck. It's not a science.
When Seth Bonifas was 6-9 in 2010, Dom Uhl was 6 feet and perhaps still in Germany.

It's easy being Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, and a few others where tradition, coaching, rabid fan bases and a history of NBA players allow for an annual parade of blue chippers.
Harrison Barnes was a Pre Season All American before he ever stepped foot on the floor.
Doug McDermott became a National Player of the Year at Creighton, but, if he had Barne's profile coming out of high school, his dad might still be the coach at Iowa State.
There is no way anybody saw Seth Tuttle being a 2015 All American back in 2010.

As UNI has shown, there is no real downside to getting in early, so, it's wise for Iowa and Iowa State to join suit. However, the fan bases should take a chill pill. It's really only an expression of interest, and that interest can always cool.

as far as Devonte Lane...this reminds me a little of the Lohaus kid committing to UNI soon after they offered...Fran just wasn't ready at that point in time...I have always felt had Lohaus been a little more patient..he would have been offered & been in an Iowa uniform...Lohaus would have been Ellingson...not saying that is good or less good...and I certainly understand why Lohaus grabbed the UNI offer while it was available.

Don't forget when UNI offered Lohaus the summer after his Sophomore year, the hyperactive heart issue was still a major concern. Until he had surgery following his senior year, it was common for Wyatt to dunk his head in a bucket of ice to slow down blood flow. This likely had many schools concerned, ala Hank Gathers at Loyola Marymount. I know Jeremy Morgan was a year ahead of Wyatt, but the offers to each may have helped UNI land, each.

I am sure the Lohaus' felt a loyalty to Ben Jacobson for the early offer. I have no inside information, but I doubt there was little anyone could do at any time to sway Wyatt from UNI. You might have noticed the Panthers offered Western Dubuque's Spencer Haldeman very early, too, perhaps as insurance in case Lohaus' health didn't pan out.

It has been UNI's pattern to offer in state kids early, and often to the exclusion of Iowa and Iowa State. Seth Tuttle turned out to be the best collegian of any Iowa high schoooler in the class of 2010 not named Barnes or McDermott. Our state has more than decent in state talent. UNI has mined it better than anybody, and will have the last 3 Gatorade Iowa players of the year. I think Iowa and Iowa State have taken notice, and are starting to pay more attention to what is closer to home.

I'm of the mind when it comes to Freshman high schoolers, I suppose you could almost toss offers out like candy, because they don't really amount to a hill of beans. A college coach's job is to have the best 19 - 23 year old players he can find. There is no way to know if a 15 year old, guard is going to fit that category. Remember Seth Bonifas from Dubuque Senior, who was offered as a soon to be Freshman in September, 2010 because he was 6-9? He never grew an inch. Never substantially improved, and was maybe 3rd team all state as a senior. MAYBE. Perhaps more likely honorable mention.

Fran, the Bonifas family, and Seth himself knew, he was D2. So, the verbal offer from September 2010 was allowed to evaporate into the wind by the spring of his junior year. He averaged 3 points a game as a Freshman at Missouri Western this season.

Wieskamp likely is tearing up AAU already this spring. If he can average 18 points a game as a varsity Freshman, I bet he looks pretty good against competition that's strictly 15 years old. He's a good shooter at 6-5. That's not easy to find. He has more savvy and court presence than Seth Bonifas will ever have. Bonifas had the body early, but never acquired the skill. Wieskamp has skill. The body likely will fill out. Iowa and Iowa State are hoping he'll add an inch or inches. If his body and skill set don't expand, no harm- no foul, literally, as he'll find his way to his appropriate level, and verbal offers from the spring of 2015 can be treated as ancient history.

Lane impresses me as a player who has always been stronger than others in his age group, but his frame is about maxed out as a Sophomore. 6-1 guards benefiting from brute force rather than skilled shooting are hard to project. If he doesn't get a reliable shot, his upside is tapped out.

Identifying teenagers and projecting if they can play in ___ years involves a lot of luck. It's not a science.
When Seth Bonifas was 6-9 in 2010, Dom Uhl was 6 feet and perhaps still in Germany.

It's easy being Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, and a few others where tradition, coaching, rabid fan bases and a history of NBA players allow for an annual parade of blue chippers.
Harrison Barnes was a Pre Season All American before he ever stepped foot on the floor.
Doug McDermott became a National Player of the Year at Creighton, but, if he had Barne's profile coming out of high school, his dad might still be the coach at Iowa State.

As UNI has shown, there is no real downside to getting in early, so, it's wise for Iowa and Iowa State to join suit. However, the fan bases should take a chill pill. It's really only an expression of interest, and that interest can always cool.

you are correct in pointing out Lane's outside shot..which IMO is the reason Fran is not ready to offer...it is interesting why ISU has offered this early.

As a Cyclone fan, I'd love to see Wieskamp playing in Ames, but that's really not likely.

He'll be a Hawkeye unless some bigger name steps in (ex - North Carolina, Kansas, etc) and really impresses him.

Here watching the Barnstormers in a Fort Wayne. Weiskamp kid is special. AJ Green is very good as well. 15u stormers play next in finals here. Got to watch some other very good Iowa talent this week against the top Midwest talent.
What other Iowa kids stood out?

So did Tuttle redshirt, since McD finished last year, if they were in the same class?

It has been UNI's pattern to offer in state kids early, and often to the exclusion of Iowa and Iowa State. Seth Tuttle turned out to be the best collegian of any Iowa high schoooler in the class of 2010 not named Barnes or McDermott. Our state has more than decent in state talent. UNI has mined it better than anybody, and will have the last 3 Gatorade Iowa players of the year. Doug McDermott became a National Player of the Year at Creighton, but, if he had Barne's profile coming out of high school, his dad might still be the coach at Iowa State. There is no way anybody saw Seth Tuttle being a 2015 All American back in 2010.

Seth Tuttle was in the 2011 class.

What other Iowa kids stood out?
I only watched Barnstormer teams and 17u Kingdom Hoops and Martin Brothers. Best Barnstormers were Green, Weiskamp and Lane. Kriener was best player I saw. Put 26 up two games that I saw him play against super pool teams. Used all kinds of mid range jump shots and a couple threes.

I only watched Barnstormer teams and 17u Kingdom Hoops and Martin Brothers. Best Barnstormers were Green, Weiskamp and Lane. Kriener was best player I saw. Put 26 up two games that I saw him play against super pool teams. Used all kinds of mid range jump shots and a couple threes.

heard that as well about Kriener. Really improved his stock and many more high majors are taking notice. Saw he also had a 38 point game early on. Not a high riser, but with 7'2" wingspan and he's constantly in motion he showed well as an active big man that can rebound and score, and is an excellent passer.

Wieskamp's highlight film isn't that impressive. I am kind of surprised that Iowa and Iowa State have offered so soon.

Wieskamp's highlight film isn't that impressive. I am kind of surprised that Iowa and Iowa State have offered so soon.

I hear ya, but not sure you can really build much of a highlight tape from 1 year of HS ball before he's really grown into his body. He'll likely be the #1 player in the state his senior year. With ISU and Wisconsin sniffing around, might as well get in on the fun. Especially since he's pro-Hawkeye.

He was just invited to the super soph camp put on by ESPN in Atlanta, for the top 100 sophs.

Wieskamp is the real deal. I've seen him play a number of times over the last two seasons in AAU, most recently two weeks ago. He has a chance to be a special player. You don't want this kid going to Wisconsin, ISU, etc.

He's got a bit of "old man's game" in him. Fun player to watch. Unique skillset in that he can do it all.

He isn't that athletic and has a very slow release. He seems like a kid that is advanced basketball skill wise for his age but will drop in rankings as others develop.

He isn't that athletic and has a very slow release. He seems like a kid that is advanced basketball skill wise for his age but will drop in rankings as others develop.

His highlight tape won't wow you but his skills are big time and he's only going to develop more too. He's come along ways from last Spring. If he committed to Iowa, you should be thrilled

weiskamp has said to the media he is a hawkeye fan....no secret there. I just wanted to know Curt Clarks' take on the kid....since his team played against him.

Ross Pierschbacher grew up an Iowa Hawkeyes fan as well, can someone remind what team he is playing football for? Not saying the kid will sign else where, just saying nothing is done until he signs and lands on campus.

I understand the concern. There is a risk when you project what a high school freshman will be by the time he is in college. What I come back to is the fact that the kid averaged nearly 19 points and 6 rebounds per game, as a freshman, playing in 4A. You probably have to go back to Matt Gatens for that kind of a freshman season in Iowa. And if that is "all" he turned out to be (Gatens wasn't that athletic either), I think that we would be ecstatic.

Iowa State already offered. Other teams are sniffing around. As much as it would be nice to recruit but not offer...not with this kid. Get him. I'm glad McCaffery pulled the guns out, Iowa State isn't UNI.

I'm kind of hoping that if it will land him we offer Ryan Kriener soon as well.

Ross Pierschbacher grew up an Iowa Hawkeyes fan as well, can someone remind what team he is playing football for? Not saying the kid will sign else where, just saying nothing is done until he signs and lands on campus.

yep ... never said its a done deal..same token Ross P is not Joe Wieskamp...2 different people...2 different sports 2 different coaches...Joe W has also played with Connor/Patrick....

images

Agreed on the slow shot. That's something he can work on. Disagree on the athleticism. It looks that way because he's so in control. He makes it look unbelievably easy. Kind of player people hate playing against.

ADVERTISEMENT