ADVERTISEMENT

Joey McKenna Transferring possibility

In the grand scheme of things yes he is. I only remember him starting to sit certain guys in duals a few years ago. In 2006 he pulled Alton Lucas's redshirt to fill a whole in the line up for Chris Vondruska who was injured at the time. Alton lost the match and Chris eventually came back and the spot was his which wasted the year for Alton. 1 of a few mistakes in his coaching career that I see now he's learned from
I believe IAChief was referring to 2017 when tOSU revved up their fans, had a large stadium full, then sat half their team and got smashed by the fun bunch.

I believe IAChief was referring to 2017 when tOSU revved up their fans, had a large stadium full, then sat half their team and got smashed by the fun bunch.
The only guys that sat were BoJo and Jake, also why I said in the grand scheme of things he's about winning

I was disappointed not to get McKenna because he's such a talent, but then I realized he's only helpful if he could still cut to 141, which I guess maybe he can't. He doesn't have a redshirt year to burn, so if he went 149 he'd sit behind Sorensen (I don't think he'd beat the great BS), then duke it out with Lugo for one year. If I were McKenna and I were willing to leave Stanford to become an NCAA champ and I could still make 141, I'd go to Iowa. But if I could only make 149, I'd probably go to tOSU.

And if I were Lugo I'd definitely go to Iowa, as I'd have Sorensen and Kemerer as training partners, a redshirt to burn, then two years in the lineup. But he's got to take full advantage of this RS year, because it's a long way from #9 to #1 or even #2 (giving due respect to Retheford).

Anyway, I'm feeling (a little) better about not getting McKenna.
Tale of the tape: McKenna vs.Lugo:

McKenna:
2015: TrFr, 7-1, redshirted, ranked #15 by wrestlestat
2016: RSF, 27-3, ranked #3 by wrestlestat, #2 NCAA seed, placed 3rd
2017: So, 31-3, ranked #3 by wrestlestat, #3 NCAA seed, R12
2018: Jr
2019: Sr
Prognosis: Supremely talented but has stagnated at Stanford and can't get over the hump at NCAAs.

Lugo:
2016: TrFr, 32-9, ranked #22 by wrestlestat, #16 NCAA seed, R12
2017: TrSo, 31-9, ranked #9 by wrestlestat, #8 NCAA seed, went 1-2
2018: RS
2019: Jr
2020: Sr
Prognosis: Talented with a lot of upside but has yet to AA in two tries, needs to find fifth gear and break away from the pack of "almost AAs"; Iowa is the place to do it.

I was disappointed not to get McKenna because he's such a talent, but then I realized he's only helpful if he could still cut to 141, which I guess maybe he can't. He doesn't have a redshirt year to burn, so if he went 149 he'd sit behind Sorensen (I don't think he'd beat the great BS), then duke it out with Lugo for one year. If I were McKenna and I were willing to leave Stanford to become an NCAA champ and I could still make 141, I'd go to Iowa. But if I could only make 149, I'd probably go to tOSU.

And if I were Lugo I'd definitely go to Iowa, as I'd have Sorensen and Kemerer as training partners, a redshirt to burn, then two years in the lineup. But he's got to take full advantage of this RS year, because it's a long way from #9 to #1 or even #2 (giving due respect to Retheford).

McKenna:
Prognosis: Supremely talented but has stagnated at Stanford and can't get over the hump at NCAAs.

Lugo:
Prognosis: Talented with a lot of upside but has yet to AA in two tries, needs to find fifth gear and break away from the pack of "almost AAs"; Iowa is the place to do it.

I was pretty impressed with him at Junior Trials. Very slick and tough to score on. I think he needs to put some meat on his bones and get a little bigger this year. Hasn't had a chance to do that so this redshirt year lifting and wrestling will do him good.

The kid from NW was huge compared to Lugo and will be a talent at 149 this year but eventually see him at 157.

I was pretty impressed with him at Junior Trials. Very slick and tough to score on. I think he needs to put some meat on his bones and get a little bigger this year. Hasn't had a chance to do that so this redshirt year lifting and wrestling will do him good.

The kid from NW was huge compared to Lugo and will be a talent at 149 this year but eventually see him at 157.

I was really, really impressed with him at the Junior trials. He has great skills and will thrive at Iowa with his wrestling partners and coaching. I will be very surprised if he is not a 2 time AA for Iowa. I think high AAs are in his future.

Reactions: IAChief32

McKenna:

Lugo:
McKenna does have a RS to burn. His first year was a GS.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Yah, I was really worried about PSU not being able to find him $.
The school needs a paper trail to show scholarships per NCAA rules, which is entirely different than the tens of thousands paid (under table) by the PSWC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT