ADVERTISEMENT

John Kenney

• Thread starter anon_snp6dc585nnj4
  • Start date
Link?

***Edit*** Nevermind, sounds like he is back on Twitter.

This sucks.

Fun picture for everyone. How many guys left?

kenney.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: iowalaw
That class has lost a ton. They lost Spearman, Rucker, Kenny and Goebel three of the highest ranked recruits of that class. They have also lost Willies, Shimonek, and AJ Jones from that class and potentially Welsh because no one knows what is going on there. Powell already graduated so taking him out they have lost 1/3 of the class.

Last edited:
Hopefully he can find playing time at another school. Doesn't look like he was going to see enough of the field here.

Meh - Attrition. It happens. I saw Niemann, Jewell, Bower, Perry and Fisher ahead of him already. Plus Outsey and Mends were continuing to improve while Kenny was at LB. Also two talents in Hockaday and Garbutt coming.

I appreciate Kenny switching over to FB when we needed him and wish him the best of luck, but not a huge loss.

Meh - Attrition. It happens. I saw Niemann, Jewell, Bower, Perry and Fisher ahead of him already. Plus Outsey and Mends were continuing to improve while Kenny was at LB. Also two talents in Hockaday and Garbutt coming.

I appreciate Kenny switching over to FB when we needed him and wish him the best of luck, but not a huge loss.

Never want to lose a guy who has played a lot of minutes already though. Even if LB was looking like a long-shot, there could be injuries there... but I'm thinking he could have helped if there is a FB injury too.

I don't get this. none of the linebackers on the roster have set the world on fire yet. Perry and Fisher could be starters which is a scary thought and Garbutt and Hockaday are true freshman. LB talent and depth is a problem and this just makes it worse.

Yep, I've seen posts like this before. Funny how after a few injuries and/or graduations these posts are replaced by "what is hurting Iowa most right now is all the attrition the last few years" posts. Happened a few years ago with the DL and WRs, happened last year with LBs, and pretty much the last decade with RBs.

College athletics these days - if you arent starting right away, transfer. If you aren't babied like they promised in recruiting = transfer. So disappointing this is the way it is now. I remember the days when guys were just honored to even wear the black and gold, let alone play. Those days are long gone.

Reactions: LutherAce
Link?

***Edit*** Nevermind, sounds like he is back on Twitter.

This sucks.

Fun picture for everyone. How many guys left?

kenney.jpg
Delano Hill and David Kenney never made it to Iowa.

Of the 22 recruits that Iowa brought in for the Class of 2013, almost a third (7) have already transferred.

Transferred:

Colin Goebel
Anjeus Jones
John Kenny
Malik Rucker
Nic Shimonek
Reggie Spearman
Derrick Willies

Still in the program:

Nathan Bazata (starter)
Ike Boettger (starter)
LeShun Daniels (co-starter)
Brant Gressel (not in the two deeps)
Andre Harris (not in the two deeps)
Josey Jewell (starter)
Desmond King (starter)
Derrick Mitchell (not in the two deeps)
Jonathan Parker (not in the two deeps)
Matt VandeBerg (starter)
Akrum Wadley (not in the two deeps)
Solomon Warfield (not in the two deeps)
Sean Welsh (starter but not currently with the team)
Jon Wisnieski (not in the two deeps)

Also: Damond Powell (used up eligibility)

Of the 22 recruits that Iowa brought in for the Class of 2013, almost a third (7) have already transferred.

Transferred:

Colin Goebel
Anjeus Jones
John Kenny
Malik Rucker
Nic Shimonek
Reggie Spearman
Derrick Willies

Still in the program:

Nathan Bazata (starter)
Ike Boettger (starter)
Josey Jewell (starter)
Desmond King (starter)
Matt VandeBerg (starter)

Thanks for the summary Blair.

Furthermore looking at Rivals ratings, the highest rated players in the 2013 were given a 5.7 or below. Of the five players given a 5.7, only 1 remains on the team (Wisnieski) while four have left (Spearman, Goebel, Kenny, and Rucker).

Serious question - how many of our tranfers to other D1 schools in the last ten years ever had a good year or rest of career after they left? Cleveland comes to mind, Derby and Coker are questionable, maybe you could count Sokol for his one year. I am sure there are others.

Serious question - how many of our tranfers to other D1 schools in the last ten years ever had a good year or rest of career after they left? Cleveland comes to mind, Derby and Coker are questionable, maybe you could count Sokol for his one year. I am sure there are others.

Doesn't really matter, it's a problem for the program either way. Iowa has way to much turnover on top of all their other problems.

I don't get this. none of the linebackers on the roster have set the world on fire yet. Perry and Fisher could be starters which is a scary thought and Garbutt and Hockaday are true freshman. LB talent and depth is a problem and this just makes it worse.
He moved to FB because he couldn't make it at LB and had been passed up. The fact that he was moved back to LB tells you everything you need to know. He wasn't going to add depth. I liked the kid and the effort he gave, but he probably did the best thing for himself and Iowa by transferring. Some transfers make no sense and are frustrating, but not this one. I wish him well.

Derby just got drafted. Pretty sure I would say he had a "good" career after leaving.

Pat Harty:
"Of the 70 players who signed with Iowa over a 3-year period form 2011-13, 26 have left the program before using up their eligibility."

Yikes, apparently MSU has had 7 in that time.

Pat Harty:
"Of the 70 players who signed with Iowa over a 3-year period form 2011-13, 26 have left the program before using up their eligibility."

Yikes, apparently MSU has had 7 in that time.

What is the norm across all schools? That's the only way this is relevant. Iowa's is high, but how high?

What is the norm across all schools? That's the only way this is relevant. Iowa's is high, but how high?
Feel free to look it up. Just saw where this was posted. Also would want to point out that we should hope we have the least in FBS, as our coach goes out of his way to point out we are a "developmental" program. Attrition like this would be the last thing we need according to our coach.

Feel free to look it up. Just saw where this was posted. Also would want to point out that we should hope we have the least in FBS, as our coach goes out of his way to point out we are a "developmental" program. Attrition like this would be the last thing we need according to our coach.

I think development is going the way of the dodo bird. HS kids are receiving better lifting and nutrition regimens at a younger age. Similar to basketball, younger college athletes are contributing more and more each season. The captain has sacrificed recruiting talent in favor of good kids and "doing things right." Unfortunately attrition is as bad as ever with a half empty cupboard to start.

I really wish I could say something positive, but the truth is this staff has peaked.

I think development is going the way of the dodo bird. HS kids are receiving better lifting and nutrition regimens at a younger age. Similar to basketball, younger college athletes are contributing more and more each season. The captain has sacrificed recruiting talent in favor of good kids and "doing things right." Unfortunately attrition is as bad as ever with a half empty cupboard to start.

I really wish I could say something positive, but the truth is this staff has peaked.
Don't see much I disagree with here.

Benny Sapp went to UNI and had a nice career in the NFL. I think James Cleveland is playing some arena football down here in New Mexico right now, had a couple good seasons at Houston. Dezman Moses ended up at Tulane and, IIRC, ended up in the NFL for a couple years. Jewel Hampton has been a practice squad guy for the 49ers. Brandon Wegher is trying out with Carolina and Cody Sokol signed with KC. Those are some of the transfers I can think of that did ok. There are definitely far more that didn't pan out.

Coker was a washout. Sokol had an awesome year at La Tech. He's probably the hands-down winner among the group.

Derby just got drafted. Pretty sure I would say he had a "good" career after leaving.

He got drafted because he's a great athlete. His career college receiving stats (1 year) were 300 yards and 3 TDs. His QB stats were less than 50% completions and an insane amount of INTs. His college career sucked.

Hate to see him leave. He showed good ability last season with zero experience there and he could have been the starter next season. I see this as a big loss of a player with really good athletic ability. Good size, good speed, good blocker, team player by switching last season. Should have left him at FB.....

Hate to see him leave. He showed good ability last season with zero experience there and he could have been the starter next season. I see this as a big loss of a player with really good athletic ability. Good size, good speed, good blocker, team player by switching last season. Should have left him at FB.....

Seems obvious the kid did not want to play FB. It's a thankless job. He could have waited one season to play two more.

Transferred:

Colin Goebel
Anjeus Jones
John Kenny
Malik Rucker
Nic Shimonek
Reggie Spearman
Derrick Willies

Still in the program:

Nathan Bazata (starter)
Ike Boettger (starter)
Josey Jewell (starter)
Desmond King (starter)
Matt VandeBerg (starter)

7 of the 22 have already played significant minutes

We cannot recruit, we cannot retain quality players, we cannot change our philosophy on recruiting and where exactly is our program heading?

I guarantee this attrition is not normal.

Reactions: jurness
Schools like North Dakota State and UNI have success to some extent because of guys who transfer from larger schools. Michigan has had a tough of guys leave the program over the years. Nothing to panic about here. I think we were two schollys over the limit? Best wishes to John, hope he does well at his new school.

Well, which is it?

Posters say our recruiting sucks, then these very same recruits that suck transfer, and suddenly they're quality players? How does transferring suddenly make them better players?

[QUOTE="RocknRollface, post: 262209, member: 12326"]Doesn't really matter, it's a problem for the program either way. Iowa has way to much turnover on top of all their other problems.[/QUOTE]

Of course it matters. Its evidence that those choosing to leave were going to be of limited value going forward for the most part. If you are not good enough to play at Iowa maybe you will find some playing time at Timbukto State. Best of luck to them!

Well, which is it?

Posters say our recruiting sucks, then these very same recruits that suck transfer, and suddenly they're quality players? How does transferring suddenly make them better players?

Huh? I don't think many are expecting third string transfers to make a huge impact at a legit school. It's the fact Iowa is losing too many players in general. Low morale due to poor results and a program lacking curb appeal. The ship is currently leaking water but has yet to sink. Some passengers are jumping.

Of course, winning cures all.

[QUOTE="RocknRollface, post: 262209, member: 12326"]Doesn't really matter, it's a problem for the program either way. Iowa has way to much turnover on top of all their other problems.

Of course it matters. Its evidence that those choosing to leave were going to be of limited value going forward for the most part. If you are not good enough to play at Iowa maybe you will find some playing time at Timbukto State. Best of luck to them![/QUOTE]

Thats a complete assumption. Guys leave this program for all kinds of reasons and have many varying levels of success. They are also not given access to the same level of resources at lower levels.

Marcus Coker had success at Iowa and accomplished less at a lower level.

No matter what the reason that many guys leaving is a huge disadvantage for Iowa.

Well, which is it?

You have to be smart enough to understand what it means to be a developmental program. It means that your recruiting generally sucks, but you count on those players staying in the program long enough to become good. When you lose those players prematurely, instead of having seasoned upperclassmen playing significant roles, you replace them with inexperienced players that aren't very good to begin with. That's when you go 4-8.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT