ADVERTISEMENT

Jok the X-Factor next season?

Auger

HR All-American
Sep 14, 2007
The B1G is going to be loaded next season. I see MSU, Maryland and Indiana slugging it out for the top spot with Wisconsin, Michigan and Purdue a rung down from them. Ohio St, Illinois, Northwestern along with Iowa could be 4 teams battling all year to place between 5th - 10th in the league. I would hate to see Iowa take a step back and i'm hoping they can somehow grab a NCAA bid. I think if that were to happen Jok needs to take a big JR season step forward. Im thinking avg 12-13ppg and shooting mid 40% from the field.

Iowa obviously needs Uthoff, Mike, Uhl and Woody to all take steps forward as well but Jok is the clear x-factor in my mind. Hopefully he takes another step forward on D and his decision making skills improve as well. I think his Offensive game is just a nudge away from being the best on the team and one of the best in the league. Mike G is the next biggest x-factor on the team. I think the addition of a couple more athletic guards will help free Mike up a bit more. Iowa needs three guys next season scoring in double figures and I think Mike G can be one of those three.

Who is everyone elses X-Factor?

Reactions: KeyWest Tim
Jok needs to take a big JR season step forward. Im thinking avg 12-13ppg and shooting mid 40% from the field.

Iowa obviously needs Uthoff, Mike, Uhl and Woody to all take steps forward as well but Jok is the clear x-factor in my mind. Hopefully he takes another step forward on D and his decision making skills improve as well. I think his Offensive game is just a nudge away from being the best on the team and one of the best in the league. Mike G is the next biggest x-factor on the team. I think the addition of a couple more athletic guards will help free Mike up a bit more. Iowa needs three guys next season scoring in double figures and I think Mike G can be one of those three.

Fran obviously agrees with you concerning Jok but, as usual, he's even more optimistic than most of us.
Per Fran: "Uthoff should be one of the best players in the league. Woodbury should be one of the best centers in the league. Mike should be one of the best point guards in the league. I think Pete's got to take another jump. He took one last year. I'd like to see him take another jump and be an all-league-caliber player, a 15-, 16-point scorer. I think that's well within his capability."
http://thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowas-mccaffery-well-be-a-different-team-20150406

I hope I'm wrong. I don't have the faith in Jok that others do. I don't dislike him, but when I watch him play I'm not prone to see great things from him.

I repeat....I hope I'm wrong.

I think another X-Factor next season will be post play. Post play in the B1G is going to be better next season and a lot more physical. Maryland, MSU and Indiana all added physical post weapons and Purdue and Northwestern return talented centers. Wisconsin always seems solid in the post.

Iowa loses 24.5ppg and 12.1rpg next season from White and Gabe. Iowa will need someone to step up and bang down low and make up for a lot of those points and rebounds.

Despite all of our returning talent, I think the real X-factor for our success next season is for one or more of our eight newcomers to be a surprise factor and contribute scoring and rebounding immediately. We got less from our newcomers last year than any team in the Big Ten. Can't keep repeating that.

Jok is an obvious choice and the logical one. I'll go with Uhl based on what we are losing. He got some valuable PT last year and showed a knack for the ball in a similar fashion to White. Going to have to get some rebounding from him. He is quick to the ball and appears to have to pretty good hands. Won't necassarily need alot of scoring from him but with the size he brings he needs to be key on defense and on the glass at both ends. I look for a nice jump from him this year.

Jok is an obvious choice and the logical one. I'll go with Uhl based on what we are losing. He got some valuable PT last year and showed a knack for the ball in a similar fashion to White. Going to have to get some rebounding from him. He is quick to the ball and appears to have to pretty good hands. Won't necassarily need alot of scoring from him but with the size he brings he needs to be key on defense and on the glass at both ends. I look for a nice jump from him this year.
If Jok and Utoff can balance each other out on the wings and hit close to 40% from the three then I think you are going to see a lot more offense open up for this team. It is one thing to guard one tall wing that can hit the 3, but guarding two guys that are 6'6" and 6'9" on opposite sides of the court is damn near impossible. That will give Woody more room inside and it will give Gessel and Clemmons some easy looking shots.

I'm going to name an under-rated player: Mike Gesell

You can't overlook the importance of the PG position. If he is able to recapture the jump shot he showed in his FR and SOPH seasons, he seems poised to have an Aaron White type impact for his senior season.

At the beginning of last season Fran declared that "this is Aaron White's team" This year Fran will proclaim this to be "Mike Gesell's team". I believe he is up to the challenge.

Jok has much room for improvement. He is transitioning from a new starter as a sophomore to a veteran junior. And, McCaffery called him out by name as a guy that could score 15/16 ppg which I think would catch most everyone's attention and normally earn him the "X Factor" award.

However, in my ever changing opinion of what to expect, I believe the starting lineup will be Gesell, Clemmons, Jok, Uthoff and Woodbury. And the surprise co-winner of our "X-Factor" award is going to be Clemmons. The guy has a decent outside shot, can penetrate, and as a senior this is the year he breaks out of his shell of caution and comes to play.

The next closest thing to "X-Factor" is going to be the improved performance of our bench. Eight guys fighting it out for playing time and certainly we'll see some pleasant surprises among that bunch. I'm not ready to sentence anyone to a redshirt or the deep bench just yet. I would say that Uhl and Jones are likely two of our next five guys. But Hutton and Wagner are going to battle each other to earn minutes, as will Ellingson, Fleming, Moss and Williams for two guard spots. I don't think anyone redshirts, and I don't think things will be entirely settled until the Big Ten season is upon us. All of these new guys including Ellingson and Uhl are "X-Factors".

And finally. Style of play. Remember McCaffery has said we will have a different team next year. I don't think he meant just having six new guys. I think the normally tight-lipped Coach McCaffery is excited to have the kind of team that allows him to play his run but don't be stupid kind of offense he has been building towards.

So there are four "X-Factors".

Remember, last year we had eight experienced players returning. We only had two newbies after Ellingson was hurt. The opportunity and need for a newbie to step in was minimal. This year we've got room for up to four of our seven (counting Ellingson) to earn time. Have no concerns that some fresh blood will emerge, as subs...and if we're lucky in a couple cases even pushing the starters for minutes.

And finally. Gesell, Uthoff and Woody? As seniors. No reason to expect less than their best seasons!

Reactions: 1BigGalloot
Jok has much room for improvement. He is transitioning from a new starter as a sophomore to a veteran junior. And, McCaffery called him out by name as a guy that could score 15/16 ppg which I think would catch most everyone's attention and normally earn him the "X Factor" award.

However, in my ever changing opinion of what to expect, I believe the starting lineup will be Gesell, Clemmons, Jok, Uthoff and Woodbury. And the surprise co-winner of our "X-Factor" award is going to be Clemmons. The guy has a decent outside shot, can penetrate, and as a senior this is the year he breaks out of his shell of caution and comes to play.
Clemmons could start this fall. However, if he starts in February, we're not going dancing.
I do agree that having 2 reliable PGs is going to be a strength this year. Sapp and MG will see the floor together a lot at the end of games. But I really hope for the team's sake that someone else steps up to fill the 5th starting spot with Woody, Uthoff, Jok, and MG. Whoever that is is the real X-factor. It could be Uhl or Jones. It could be a frosh. But I keep coming back to what Fran said about this being a different type of team in 2015-16. We won't have the same front line. Fran has recruited for wing-power. That's where success will be for this team.

Hate to negative nelly on this one, but I am just not sure Jok will ever take that big step forward during his time at Iowa. His biggest problem being he just can't handle the ball.

Hopefully I am wrong, and would more that gladly be happy if I was wrong.

Why do people keep talking about Uhl and his 3 point shot? He shot 18% last year, I think.
Also, Ellingson may be good. He has practiced a whole year with the team. He shot well on the few attempts last year too.
If Jok and Utoff can balance each other out on the wings and hit close to 40% from the three then I think you are going to see a lot more offense open up for this team. It is one thing to guard one tall wing that can hit the 3, but guarding two guys that are 6'6" and 6'9" on opposite sides of the court is damn near impossible. That will give Woody more room inside and it will give Gessel and Clemmons some easy looking shots.

Hate to negative nelly on this one, but I am just not sure Jok will ever take that big step forward during his time at Iowa. His biggest problem being he just can't handle the ball.

IMO Jok's biggest problem is consistency. He handles well at times, and plays D well at times, but he goes through periods where he just zones out, and makes really negative plays. If he can stay more focused I really think he'll become one of our better players. Even though I'm not sure he'll ever be thought of as our best player, because of consistency, he can be very good.

I never felt Eric May would be able to handle the ball either, but he managed pretty well by the end.

Agree completely. Jok is a good guy to have around to catch and shoot from the perimeter. He's also a really good free throw shooter, but he won't draw a lot of fouls out by the 3 point line where he belongs, and unfortunately he's terrible in traffic in the lane for multiple reasons. He is a turnover waiting to happen if he has to dribble more than once, and I actually think Woody is a better ball handler, not good. Stay out by the 3 point line and see what happens.

IMO Jok's biggest problem is consistency. He handles well at times, and plays D well at times, but he goes through periods where he just zones out, and makes really negative plays. If he can stay more focused I really think he'll become one of our better players. Even though I'm not sure he'll ever be thought of as our best player, because of consistency, he can be very good.

Agree with everything here. After one game someone asked if jok was drunk, it actually appeared that he was almost, making some real crazy blunders. Hopefully he can mature and really put it together his last couple of years.

Jok improved greatly but does lack consistency in about every aspect of his game. He's shown a very nice upside. Having seen him play in HS I am very impressed with the significant improvement in his stamina and strength. I'm sure I'm not the first to observe that Jok's game tends to follow his first couple of shots.

I think, and hope, that Peter shows a substantial increase in consistency resulting in significantly more minutes and substantially more points. If not, that position will get even more competitive, especially if one of the freshman, and there are three contending for the spot, is an exemplary shooter. Any one of Moss, Fleming or Ellingson could shoot their way into some significant floor time at Jok's expense.

I'm going to name an under-rated player: Mike Gesell

You can't overlook the importance of the PG position. If he is able to recapture the jump shot he showed in his FR and SOPH seasons, he seems poised to have an Aaron White type impact for his senior season.

At the beginning of last season Fran declared that "this is Aaron White's team" This year Fran will proclaim this to be "Mike Gesell's team". I believe he is up to the challenge.

If MG can step it up, that would Be huge. Having more options to feed on offense next year will help. MG's biggest problem is knowing when to take it to the hoop. If he can improve on knowing when Not to force it, that will make an impact in itself.

he needs to be close to what Marble and White were when they were juniors, needs to stand out from everyone else

Obviously agree with the Gesell comment.

I said that last year as well, this team comes and goes with his play. When Mike plays well, we win. When he doesn't, it's a struggle.

Last edited:

This would be a major improvement to his game if he could find some handles. When his shot is falling, he can score in droves, but sometimes he really looks lost in the offense which he needs to get into sync with everyone else.

I liked DanL53's post. I will expand on his thoughts, and offer my two additional X factors at the end.

Less than a year ago, Jok was the knucklehead who couldn't drive a moped in downtown Iowa City without getting arrested. TWICE. He will improve in his last two years, but hanging too high of hopes on him is fools gold. Coach had 2 reasons for putting the 15/16 point a game scorer quote in the paper. 1) He was challenging and motivating Peter to have a great off season with an aspiration goal. 2) Coach also has to justify choosing Jok over Jeremy Morgan in 2012/13. Morgan was the more complete player (still is). Iowa chose Jok's upside. The clock is ticking on that upside to reveal itself.

Jok could be a 15 point a game scorer his senior year. Iowa will be looking for that with Uthoff's departure. I would posit it's not even in Iowa's best interest that he does, because that means he's getting 20 shots a game in 2016/17, and even with the quicker shot clock, that indicates the last two recruiting classes aren't progressing.

Gesell will be the team captain. If he isn't wearing an arm wrap on his right elbow this season, you can expect better shooting out of him, and from longer range. You'll remember he was always stepping in and knocking down 17 - 19 footers because he couldn't sling it from 20 ft., 9 in. Ironically, rest, instead of increased shooting time, is the key.

Yes, the seniors should all have their best statistical seasons, ever, but the per game average increase won't be off the charts, eye popping. An extra assist, 1 more rebound, a couple points. The cumulative effect will be positive.

Clemmons is a mature, steady influence who can defend. He made the biggest play in the biggest win of the season when he took the charge on All American Marcus Paige. His shot is improving, as the Gonzaga game showed. I'm sensing a Mont'er Glasper like senior offensive season from Clemmons. Glasper was a reliable 3 point shooter his last year.

Style of Play can't be underestimated. The shot clock change is going to rock the game, especially early. Staff's all over the country are trying to anticipate the impact. Rebounding becomes even more paramount. More shots means more misses. Iowa's lack of size doesn't have to be a problem. Less time for opponents to create offensive sets could mean less shots in the paint. Longer shots = longer rebounds. Running down longer rebounds on both ends of the floor will be key. Quickness and court awareness could be rewarded as much as size and bulk.

The seniors will be the glue that gets this team in the top half of the league. The league will be brutal. Iowa should be a lock to be in the top half, but, in a 14 team league, that could be 7th. (Also, Nebraska was a top half lock at this time, last year).

Whether this team regresses to the NIT, or makes it 3 straight NCAA appearances depends upon the bench. It's a lot of pressure to put on the newbies, but, it's a fact. Nobody knows how this is going to go. NOBODY.

If Iowa has an NCAA appearance locked up before the conference tourney, the bench did great.
If Iowa is a surefire NIT team, Freshmen be Freshmen.
Most likely, Iowa's first conference tourney game will be on Day 2. Another early exit won't be good. A win means the newbies passed their final.

Two things appear to be in Iowa's favor regarding the likelihood of bench success.

1) Shear numbers. Throw 8 spaghetti noodles on the wall, and I like the chances that 2 or 3 will stick.

2) Iowa's X factor will be impossible to scout. This jigsaw will produce surprises every game. Remember Uhl's baseline reverse layup against Ohio State? Who saw that coming? Thad Matta didn't!!!! http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2015/1/17/7629539/video-watch-dom-uhls-excellent-reverse-layup

This is going to be an interesting season.
Every child that's physically capable learns to walk.
Uhl, Ellingson, Baer and the class of 2015 will eventually walk.
If they are 6 to 9 month walkers, Iowa is a national surprise.
If they are 9 to 12 month walkers, and the upperclassmen produce, all is well.
If they are collectively slow to walk, Fran's annual progress stalls.

My first X FACTOR is something no Hawkeye can control.
THE BIG TEN SCHEDULE. Who plays who, where, and in what order will determine a lot. The home and homes and one game onlys have been announced, but the schedule doesn't come out until August. A lot of road games early, like Minnesota had last year, would be harrowing.

The biggest X FACTOR will be TEAM CHEMISTRY.
2013/14 didn't have it, hence 7 losses in its last 8.
2014/15 rallied around Gabe and the death of his father.
How the seniors and Jok welcome, motivate, encourage, get and demand ultimate performance from their virgin teammates will be the key to how far the Hawks fly in 2015/16. How well the newbies take instruction, and are physically/mentally/emotionally capable of accepting expanded and limited roles will make all the difference.

BigG....well said. I only disagree with the degree to which the seniors improve. I think we will see them have big seasons with substantial statistical improvement.

BigG....well said. I only disagree with the degree to which the seniors improve. I think we will see them have big seasons with substantial statistical improvement.

I think you will be right - The seniors will finish strong. Throw in a couple pieces of spaghetti and we have ourselves a good team...

Now get someone to pound Jok to the practice floor this off season, and/or Uhl improves by a good clip, then we will have a very good basketball team!

"Throw 8 spaghetti noodles on the wall, and I like the chances that 2 or 3 will stick.", that is my favorite line on this thread.

The PTL will be interesting. (Usual disclaimer; no, it can't tell us everything but it can be revealing about some things.)

I'd love to see some full on basketball games between our six returning guys, maybe toss in Ellingson to give them seven, and our seven newbies counting Baer. Some questions would be answered.

This would have been a great year to have a foreign tour.

The full on 7 on 7 basketball games DanL53 craves will happen nearly every day in practice starting in October. Practices are generally open to the public. There are going to be a lot of people wanting to see what DanL53 wants to see. I wouldn't be surprised if eventually Fran doesn't somehow close Carver down, or occasionally move practices into the practice gym.

"Throw 8 spaghetti noodles on the wall, and I like the chances that 2 or 3 will stick.", that is my favorite line on this thread.

The PTL will be interesting. (Usual disclaimer; no, it can't tell us everything but it can be revealing about some things.)

I'd love to see some full on basketball games between our six returning guys, maybe toss in Ellingson to give them seven, and our seven newbies counting Baer. Some questions would be answered.

This would have been a great year to have a foreign tour.

Yes it would have been a great year for a foreign trip... The new rule that allows coaches limited practice time in the summer with the players will help quite a bit tho.

All I know is that we need a scorer from that position.

Whether that is Jok or not they will need to find someone.
This might be a good rule of thumb to figure out a 5th starter, not who plays SF but who produces at SG. Last year at this time everyone was worrying about how to replace RDM at SG. White's monster senior season erased those concerns. Now we're looking for offense again at a wing spot to go with JU and Jok. Yeah, Jones could surprise but with 6-7 wing options, you have feel a 5th starter will be a wing player.

I liked DanL53's post. I will expand on his thoughts, and offer my two additional X factors at the end.

Less than a year ago, Jok was the knucklehead who couldn't drive a moped in downtown Iowa City without getting arrested. TWICE. He will improve in his last two years, but hanging too high of hopes on him is fools gold. Coach had 2 reasons for putting the 15/16 point a game scorer quote in the paper. 1) He was challenging and motivating Peter to have a great off season with an aspiration goal. 2) Coach also has to justify choosing Jok over Jeremy Morgan in 2012/13. Morgan was the more complete player (still is). Iowa chose Jok's upside. The clock is ticking on that upside to reveal itself.

Jok could be a 15 point a game scorer his senior year. Iowa will be looking for that with Uthoff's departure. I would posit it's not even in Iowa's best interest that he does, because that means he's getting 20 shots a game in 2016/17, and even with the quicker shot clock, that indicates the last two recruiting classes aren't progressing.

Gesell will be the team captain. If he isn't wearing an arm wrap on his right elbow this season, you can expect better shooting out of him, and from longer range. You'll remember he was always stepping in and knocking down 17 - 19 footers because he couldn't sling it from 20 ft., 9 in. Ironically, rest, instead of increased shooting time, is the key.

Yes, the seniors should all have their best statistical seasons, ever, but the per game average increase won't be off the charts, eye popping. An extra assist, 1 more rebound, a couple points. The cumulative effect will be positive.

Clemmons is a mature, steady influence who can defend. He made the biggest play in the biggest win of the season when he took the charge on All American Marcus Paige. His shot is improving, as the Gonzaga game showed. I'm sensing a Mont'er Glasper like senior offensive season from Clemmons. Glasper was a reliable 3 point shooter his last year.

Style of Play can't be underestimated. The shot clock change is going to rock the game, especially early. Staff's all over the country are trying to anticipate the impact. Rebounding becomes even more paramount. More shots means more misses. Iowa's lack of size doesn't have to be a problem. Less time for opponents to create offensive sets could mean less shots in the paint. Longer shots = longer rebounds. Running down longer rebounds on both ends of the floor will be key. Quickness and court awareness could be rewarded as much as size and bulk.

The seniors will be the glue that gets this team in the top half of the league. The league will be brutal. Iowa should be a lock to be in the top half, but, in a 14 team league, that could be 7th. (Also, Nebraska was a top half lock at this time, last year).

Whether this team regresses to the NIT, or makes it 3 straight NCAA appearances depends upon the bench. It's a lot of pressure to put on the newbies, but, it's a fact. Nobody knows how this is going to go. NOBODY.

If Iowa has an NCAA appearance locked up before the conference tourney, the bench did great.
If Iowa is a surefire NIT team, Freshmen be Freshmen.
Most likely, Iowa's first conference tourney game will be on Day 2. Another early exit won't be good. A win means the newbies passed their final.

Two things appear to be in Iowa's favor regarding the likelihood of bench success.

1) Shear numbers. Throw 8 spaghetti noodles on the wall, and I like the chances that 2 or 3 will stick.

2) Iowa's X factor will be impossible to scout. This jigsaw will produce surprises every game. Remember Uhl's baseline reverse layup against Ohio State? Who saw that coming? Thad Matta didn't!!!! http://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2015/1/17/7629539/video-watch-dom-uhls-excellent-reverse-layup

This is going to be an interesting season.
Every child that's physically capable learns to walk.
Uhl, Ellingson, Baer and the class of 2015 will eventually walk.
If they are 6 to 9 month walkers, Iowa is a national surprise.
If they are 9 to 12 month walkers, and the upperclassmen produce, all is well.
If they are collectively slow to walk, Fran's annual progress stalls.

My first X FACTOR is something no Hawkeye can control.
THE BIG TEN SCHEDULE. Who plays who, where, and in what order will determine a lot. The home and homes and one game onlys have been announced, but the schedule doesn't come out until August. A lot of road games early, like Minnesota had last year, would be harrowing.

The biggest X FACTOR will be TEAM CHEMISTRY.
2013/14 didn't have it, hence 7 losses in its last 8.
2014/15 rallied around Gabe and the death of his father.
How the seniors and Jok welcome, motivate, encourage, get and demand ultimate performance from their virgin teammates will be the key to how far the Hawks fly in 2015/16. How well the newbies take instruction, and are physically/mentally/emotionally capable of accepting expanded and limited roles will make all the difference.

Good post Big G.

Success next year will need to be the result of a team effort, much like this past year. I think Jok will continue to improve, but I am not sure that his mind will ever match his physical potential to become a great player. Uthoff will be one of the better players in the B1G, and Gesell will continue to be a team leader, despite "not being a good PG" (not my opinion). Add Sappy and probably one of the new pastas, and we should have a very solid backcourt rotation. I am still concerned about our ability to protect the basket and rebound. It would sure be nice if Woody would take another big step forward, and show that he can finish at the rim on offense and stay on the floor for at least 25 min/game. Again, one of the noodles (Uhl or maybe Wagner) need to show they can play smart and physical around the basket.

Should be fun to watch how the team develops.

Good post Big G.

Success next year will need to be the result of a team effort, much like this past year. I think Jok will continue to improve, but I am not sure that his mind will ever match his physical potential to become a great player. Uthoff will be one of the better players in the B1G, and Gesell will continue to be a team leader, despite "not being a good PG" (not my opinion). Add Sappy and probably one of the new pastas, and we should have a very solid backcourt rotation. I am still concerned about our ability to protect the basket and rebound. It would sure be nice if Woody would take another big step forward, and show that he can finish at the rim on offense and stay on the floor for at least 25 min/game. Again, one of the noodles (Uhl or maybe Wagner) need to show they can play smart and physical around the basket.

Should be fun to watch how the team develops.

Wow....this is fun thread. Good thoughts by all, really like Dan, Big G and HRH's thoughts. Like the pasta stuff too....nice. I mean from the years of barely ramen noodles with a Lick roster to a roster full of a delightful array of 10 or more classic Italian pasta roster lineups, the anticipation is like a Carly Simon song.

As far as Peter is concerned, not worried. Just too talented to not get better. I remember Jarrod struggling as an older soph too with the transfer and all. He just got sideways doing things on the floor that he didn't do this last year as a junior. See this happening with a lot of players. I remember so many people complaining about Peter's D last year at this time and he was matching up with the opposing team's best player down the stretch and doing a great job of it too. I think getting in better shape helped but his maturing with the speed of the game I am sure helped. Also, his rebounding and ups improved too. He's a talent.

Reactions: DanL53
Was looking for a funny spaghetti gif. Found this. Disturbs me.

0pastamaking1.gif

The B1G is going to be loaded next season. I see MSU, Maryland and Indiana slugging it out for the top spot with Wisconsin, Michigan and Purdue a rung down from them. Ohio St, Illinois, Northwestern along with Iowa could be 4 teams battling all year to place between 5th - 10th in the league. I would hate to see Iowa take a step back and i'm hoping they can somehow grab a NCAA bid. I think if that were to happen Jok needs to take a big JR season step forward. Im thinking avg 12-13ppg and shooting mid 40% from the field.

You're plain nuts!!!!
Indiana will never be in it again unless their players can coach themselves. Cream had plenty of 4 star players and couldn't get it done.
Iowa will never be bottom feeders again going forward. The Iowa program is already built up to have us in the top tier of the league every year that Fran is coaching.
Don't think because we lost some of our scoring that we'll take a step down next year. That will not happen as we have plenty of incoming fire power along with the current roster. I think we're going to be loaded next year.

Two questions:

1. What kind of shooter was Gesell before the injury. He seemed so hampered by the wrap this year, like he was short-arming his shots. I like him a lot. I think he can attack the bucket better than a lot of point guards can.

2. How highly recruited was Jok? How much did he drop when he got hurt in high school? Would he have gone to Iowa if he didn't get hurt?

Thanks for any input.

Two questions:

1. What kind of shooter was Gesell before the injury. He seemed so hampered by the wrap this year, like he was short-arming his shots. I like him a lot. I think he can attack the bucket better than a lot of point guards can.

2. How highly recruited was Jok? How much did he drop when he got hurt in high school? Would he have gone to Iowa if he didn't get hurt?

Thanks for any input.

How highly recruited was Jok? I think he only had offers from Iowa and Drake when he comitted, Iowa State had been recruiting him but had to stop based on some not allowed contact from one of their assistants who was also Pete's AAU coach.

How much did he drop when he got hurt in high school? He was concensus top10 prior to the injury and a 3 star when he comitted. How much of that was injury vs. development will really never be known, but he played basically 2 years in HS injured.

Would he have gone to Iowa if he didn't get hurt? Again, depends on how he would have developed had the patelar tendon tear not happened. I do know schools like Duke and Kansas were recruiting him prior to the injury, had they stayed involved it's very unlikely he would have gone to Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT