ADVERTISEMENT

Kirk wins

So, Minnesota was doing something against the rules and are whining because now they can get called out on it?

Seems strange that officials who are often only a few yards away couldn't get this right in the first place.

Seems strange that officials who are often only a few yards away couldn't get this right in the first place.

"It’s just too hard live on the field to know who’s blocking in the middle of the field and the ball’s way over on the boundary," Carollo said. "Did that block occur before he touched it? Did he touch it after 10 yards? So we said, ‘Let’s throw it up to replay. Let them look at it, they can slow it down."

Big Ten officials often get things wrong that occur right in front of their faces. Michigan Dave W. is a prime example. The bad part is that it has been occurring for decades. It would be nice to see the quality of officiating someday meet the quality of play on the field/court in the Big 10.

Good for Kirk. They are cheating and now crying because they can actually get caught doing it. That's like crying about a drug test that you didn't know you were going to have and then failed.

Reactions: ichawk24
Lol I read the OP link and the butt hurt is strong with Gopher fans. They're all talking about hoping they beat us 51-14 and do onside kicks to try and run up the score. Lots of F iowa's in there too.

My only concern now that Kirk is responsible for this rule change is that Kill actually will have his team come out with an onside kick on the opening kickoff and of course Iowa not having a single forward thinking brain among the staff on the sideline, will not be ready for it.....

Big Ten officials often get things wrong that occur right in front of their faces. Michigan Dave W. is a prime example. The bad part is that it has been occurring for decades. It would be nice to see the quality of officiating someday meet the quality of play on the field/court in the Big 10.

I'd like to see you do any better.

Everyone complains about officiating in all sports. The hard truth is it is really hard to do.

Lol I read the OP link and the butt hurt is strong with Gopher fans. They're all talking about hoping they beat us 51-14 and do onside kicks to try and run up the score. Lots of F iowa's in there too.

My only concern now that Kirk is responsible for this rule change is that Kill actually will have his team come out with an onside kick on the opening kickoff and of course Iowa not having a single forward thinking brain among the staff on the sideline, will not be ready for it.....

Sigh... This sounds exactly correct.

I'm going to laugh so hard when Iowa kicks an onside this year, recovers it and has it negated because of this rule. That just seems like something that would happen to good old Iowa..... who has some of the worst luck ever when it comes to kicking and recovering onside kicks.

Everyone complains about officiating in all sports. The hard truth is it is really hard to do.

No not really. For the most part Wrestling officiating in Iowa has been really good. The problem I have with Big Ten football officials is that they are often out of position and then throw a flag only to have to run over to pick up the flag and throw it again because that is how far out of the play they were. Now maybe that doesn't come through on the TV but it is plain as day when you are in the stadium.

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2015/...-gets-ncaa-rule-change-because-of-the-gophers

I haven't seen this posted. Kirk gets a bad rap right at the end of the article. The issue is, Minne cheats on this play and the refs can't control it. Now reviewable.
After looking at the comments afterthe article and the video of one onside kick therein, I'm more worried they will execute that well again and within the rules. It was 4-on-2 at the point of attack, they likely recover that one regardless...

I forgot, how many big 10 titles has he won and BCS games has he been in?

Take a look at some of the schools that he's coached at, genius. No way could Kirk survive at any of those places (see his tenure at Maine). Kill has 20 more wins and 20 fewer losses in 2 more years as a HC than Kirk has.

I realize we live in a world of hyper polarization, it is difficult at times to function in the realm of opinions that includes slight and similar. But in your case that Jerry Kill's victories at the like of Saginaw Valley State, Emporia State, and Southern Illinois are in any way equal to or as impressive with any wins he has achieved at Minnesota or Ferentz has achieved at Iowa is simply not true. Kill is 25-26 at Minnesota. Considering the challenges that the Gophers have experienced for several years I would say that is definitely a respectable achievement. I can point out that many of those victories came by way of a rather soft non-conference schedule, but regardless he has had more success than many who have coached there. Is he a good coach, sure I agree. However, there is simply no honest way you can say that his body of work is equal to what Ferentz 115-85 12 Bowl appearances in 16 seasons at Iowa has achieved.

Reactions: ozziesimmons22

Not to mention that no matter what call a Ref makes, at least one half of the equation is going to be upset about it.

Not to mention that no matter what call a Ref makes, at least one half of the equation is going to be upset about it.
Do you still get upset when you watch the game on your DVR if you decide to record it? Friggin' part time fan

Reactions: RalphKramden
I realize we live in a world of hyper polarization, it is difficult at times to function in the realm of opinions that includes slight and similar. But in your case that Jerry Kill's victories at the like of Saginaw Valley State, Emporia State, and Southern Illinois are in any way equal to or as impressive with any wins he has achieved at Minnesota or Ferentz has achieved at Iowa is simply not true. Kill is 25-26 at Minnesota. Considering the challenges that the Gophers have experienced for several years I would say that is definitely a respectable achievement. I can point out that many of those victories came by way of a rather soft non-conference schedule, but regardless he has had more success than many who have coached there. Is he a good coach, sure I agree. However, there is simply no honest way you can say that his body of work is equal to what Ferentz 115-85 12 Bowl appearances in 16 seasons at Iowa has achieved.

What are you even talking about? Ferentz has had 16 years at a major conference school. Kill has had a whopping 4. Kill has won more games in those 4 seasons than Kirk did in his first four years at Iowa.

Against peer teams with similar resources, Kill wins a higher percentage of games than Kirk does. This is an inarguable fact.

What are you even talking about? Ferentz has had 16 years at a major conference school. Kill has had a whopping 4. Kill has won more games in those 4 seasons than Kirk did in his first four years at Iowa.

Against peer teams with similar resources, Kill wins a higher percentage of games than Kirk does. This is an inarguable fact.
What the f*** are you talking about?......

Ferentz improved Iowa each year after his first, culminating with an unbeaten record in the Big Ten and a school record for wins. That was year 4, guy....

Who gives a f*** about consistently winning 5-7 games a season? Iowa fans sure don't or they'd be a lot happier with the job Ferentz is doing.......just sayin.

Btw Kill went 23-16 at Northern Illinois and is averaging just over 6 wins a season. That's about BAU for Minnesota if we're being honest. It's also worth pointing out that Kill had a 7 game leave of absence in 2013 when they went 8-5. But let's use that against Ferentz anyway because bitter fanboyz.....

By year 4, Kirk Ferentz not only had Iowa competing for a Big Ten title. They won it. And would be consisdered for the next 4 years after that before a brief dip and rebuild and then a mini resurgence by the end of the 2000s.

Minnesota will be happy with a 2nd place finish in the West division. That'll be major progress for them and knowing their fans they'll probably rub that in Iowa fans' faces regardless of where we finish and if we beat them, because "who hates Iowa?"........

Let me know when Kill wins two Big Ten titles, goes unbeaten in the conference, and coaches in two BCS bowl games and then you can come back and talk about how horrible a coach Kirk Ferentz has been at Iowa.

What the f*** are you talking about?......

Ferentz improved Iowa each year after his first, culminating with an unbeaten record in the Big Ten and a school record for wins. That was year 4, guy....

Who gives a f*** about consistently winning 5-7 games a season? Iowa fans sure don't or they'd be a lot happier with the job Ferentz is doing.......just sayin.

Btw Kill went 23-16 at Northern Illinois and is averaging just over 6 wins a season. That's about BAU for Minnesota if we're being honest. It's also worth pointing out that Kill had a 7 game leave of absence in 2013 when they went 8-5. But let's use that against Ferentz anyway because bitter fanboyz.....

By year 4, Kirk Ferentz not only had Iowa competing for a Big Ten title. They won it. And would be consisdered for the next 4 years after that before a brief dip and rebuild and then a mini resurgence by the end of the 2000s.

Minnesota will be happy with a 2nd place finish in the West division. That'll be major progress for them and knowing their fans they'll probably rub that in Iowa fans' faces regardless of where we finish and if we beat them, because "who hates Iowa?"........

Let me know when Kill wins two Big Ten titles, goes unbeaten in the conference, and coaches in two BCS bowl games and then you can come back and talk about how horrible a coach Kirk Ferentz has been at Iowa.
You forgot the , This is an inarguable fact.

Did Iowa buy off North Carolina to get them off the schedule and add a cupcake? Nope, but Minnesota did under Kill. Home and Home to boot.

"Gophers football coach Jerry Kill had talked to new athletics director Norwood Teague about wanting to avoid nonconference games against BCS opponents until the program was ready".

Did Iowa quit scheduling North Dakota State like Minnesota did, at Home no less? Nope, Iowa added them to their schedule.

I like Kill, but don't act like Knute Rockne just arrived.

Right now, I'd take Jerry over Kirk. Part of it is that I've seen enough of KF and part that JK is a pretty good coach. IDK if he's better than KF, but at this point it doesn't matter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT