ADVERTISEMENT

last 3 to finish the 2016 class

thawk1

Scout Team
May 31, 2015
my choices as follows:

6'5 Huerters out of NY: points of interest: listed as a pg by one reporter and a SG by a couple services: 4* by both Rivals and ESPN, range to NBA 3, dribbles equally well with either hand, catch and shoots, shoots off the dribble. high release point very athletic,

negative: need more bulk as he was only 175 when the article was written, but what HS JR doesn't, also needs to work on his defense.

Rackocevic: updated weight and height per ESPN: 6'11 215 lbs, was slowed by a ankle injury during the April period, range to 22.5' athletic and is a very good weak side defender and rebounder. can finish at the rim,
4* PF would fit in with what Fran wants, long lean and athletic F good hops and long arms,

negative: needs more bulk was recommended he could get up to 225. to battle inside better, to compare Gonzaga just got a commitment from Zach Collins a 6'10 220lb C rated 52nd overall by ESPN.

Painter 6'10 215 lbs true center good range and very good back to the basket moves. finishes around the basket with either hand athletic runs the floor with ease, good passer with excellent vision with the outlet passes. 4* by ESPN

negative needs to work on his facing the basket. in the 6-10' range also need more bulk

the last two would give Fran his own version of what Lute had with Waite and Special K. and all they did was anchor the middle on Lutes FF team.

alternatives
PG 6'5 Carr and F 6'8 Cook,

2 of (Painter, Cook, Rack, or Brunk) and either Moore, Simpson or Carr for the PG.

I do believe another scolly somehow opens up. Would like Huerters or Stevens to get that ride.

was wondering about Pemsyl if he does not recover from his knee surgery, another thought I had was if Pemsyl and Huerter both might RS as it has been mentioned that CM and Huerter both want to play together.

was wondering about Pemsyl if he does not recover from his knee surgery, another thought I had was if Pemsyl and Huerter both might RS as it has been mentioned that CM and Huerter both want to play together.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, and I'm sorry if I missed it, but how extensive was/is Pemsyl's knee injury?

From what I've seen regarding Huerter, I will be surprised if he elects to bring his game to Iowa. He's also the player of those listed that I would most like to see in Iowa City.

PG - Moore
PF - Cook
C - Painter

Wild guess. Of that group, Moore appears the likeliest early commit IMO. Don't know what to make of KJ Santos - he is still in the mix but his prospect with Iowa seems to be fading.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before, and I'm sorry if I missed it, but how extensive was/is Pemsyl's knee injury?

From what I've seen regarding Huerter, I will be surprised if he elects to bring his game to Iowa. He's also the player of those listed that I would most like to see in Iowa City.
The main competition for Huerter seems to be Maryland. They're in on a highly ranked SG which may have some bearing there.

With surgery these days, especially in Iowa City, Pemsl will likely be playing. If he's able, Fran could use his bulk in 2016.

Painter's rise in ranking is something I've come to expect when Fran starts pursuing someone. If he stays on the board long enough to get to IC, we could have a chance. Does he see himself fitting in Villanova's lineup next to Omari Spellman? That could be the deciding factor there.

Dream three for me would be Huerter, Cook, Painter. But there are many guys we are pursuing who can play some ball. And I keep reminding myself that this time last year Wagner, Moss, Williams and Jones were barely blips on our (fans) radar...but McCaffery and staff knew about them. Just never know until we know.

But, Huerter, Cook, Painter, Pemsl? That's a pretty good class.

the thing with Painter would/could be the draw of starting right away with Woody graduating, sometimes that is all it takes is the ability of starting from day one. I am hoping Pemsyl is fully healthy. and hope that he might RS to make sure his knee is ready for the BT season.

Pemsyl at 6'8 235 is the reason why I am not too worried about not getting Cook as Pemsyl brings that big body. to me height is more important. but everybody has their reasons for who they want and that is fine.

Last edited:
Pemsyl has 16 months + to recoup and get into playing shape. If the surgery was successful (and I assume it was), he'll be fine. I think as a freshman, he would probably only play limited minutes anyway.

I am intrigued by all of the kids that are listed as Iowa targets. I think of them, Iowa needs at least a PG and another big. After that I hope the staff gets the best player available at any position.

this is the best shape Fran has been in since he arrived. he has a shot a 4-6 4* recruits to fill 3 slots.

I'd be good with one of Moore/Carr, Huerter and one of Cook/Rak (with a preference for Moore and Cook). Really, any combo of those 5 would be fantastic.That would give them the best combination of best talent and filling needs.

And just for full disclosure, I couldn't care less if they sign a true C.

Word is that Pemsl is making a nice recovery so far, and he is still growing. We need a really good big, a really good guard who can shoot lights out, and the best available player. Those are my three.

Would not min taking two guys along with pemsl so we can balance out scholorships by class a little more evenly

Xavier Simpson planning an Iowa visit in June.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Talked w/ Xavier Simpson&#39;s dad. Said 4-star PG trying to fit visits in w/ busy June schedule. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Illini?src=hash">#Illini</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Hawkeyes?src=hash">#Hawkeyes</a> &amp; <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Boilers?src=hash">#Boilers</a> in consideration</p>&mdash; Derek Piper (@DerekPiperBSH) <a href="">June 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

my choices as follows:

6'5 Huerters out of NY: points of interest: listed as a pg by one reporter and a SG by a couple services: 4* by both Rivals and ESPN, range to NBA 3, dribbles equally well with either hand, catch and shoots, shoots off the dribble. high release point very athletic,

negative: need more bulk as he was only 175 when the article was written, but what HS JR doesn't, also needs to work on his defense.

Rackocevic: updated weight and height per ESPN: 6'11 215 lbs, was slowed by a ankle injury during the April period, range to 22.5' athletic and is a very good weak side defender and rebounder. can finish at the rim,
4* PF would fit in with what Fran wants, long lean and athletic F good hops and long arms,

negative: needs more bulk was recommended he could get up to 225. to battle inside better, to compare Gonzaga just got a commitment from Zach Collins a 6'10 220lb C rated 52nd overall by ESPN.

Painter 6'10 215 lbs true center good range and very good back to the basket moves. finishes around the basket with either hand athletic runs the floor with ease, good passer with excellent vision with the outlet passes. 4* by ESPN

negative needs to work on his facing the basket. in the 6-10' range also need more bulk

the last two would give Fran his own version of what Lute had with Waite and Special K. and all they did was anchor the middle on Lutes FF team.

alternatives
PG 6'5 Carr and F 6'8 Cook,

So you think they are too skinny and can't face the basket.

I'm glad Fran doesn't listen to all of your negative bashing.

We are in on some great players for sure. There are, of course, no guarantees that we are going to get any of them.

my wish list of (3)
PG Tony Carr or Cassius Winston
Nick Rakocevic
Tyler Cook

my guess list of (3)
PG Charlie Moore
KJ Santos or Kevin Huerter
one of these 3 Dylan Painter, Derrick Daniels, Nick Rakocevic

my first to commit guess list of (3)
(1st) Charlie Moore
(2nd) KJ Santos or Kevin Huerter
(3rd) Nick Rakocevic

fun thread speculating

I think xavier simpson is cousins with tyler ulis. Like his game, seems like a pest on defense and always see guys that cover his games in eybl about how he makes winning plays and us a leader on the court.

Word is that Pemsl is making a nice recovery so far, and he is still growing. We need a really good big, a really good guard who can shoot lights out, and the best available player. Those are my three.
Re: still growing.
That's what I heard too. Not sure the reliability of the source other than he's from Dubuqe, but he's heard his parents were told he would likely grow another inch or two and some of this unfinished growth has played a role in his knee issues.
Of course, this guy was just sure Andrew Brommer was an under the radar talent.

I was pretty impressed with Pemsl at the state tournament. While it was obvious he was gimpy, he was still very smooth and quick with the ball in the post. If he grows another inch or two and gets healthy, look out. He has a very solid build already.

Reactions: perryhawk
Re: still growing.
That's what I heard too. Not sure the reliability of the source other than he's from Dubuqe, but he's heard his parents were told he would likely grow another inch or two and some of this unfinished growth has played a role in his knee issues.
Of course, this guy was just sure Andrew Brommer was an under the radar talent.
Brommer WAS a good talent. His problem seemed to be between his ears. Good kid and all but just didn't have that fire.

Brommer suffered a knee injury before his SR season that is why Fran did not RS Olaseni, going into the season with a injured 6'9 Brommer and 6'9 Archie, Gabe was a insurance policy, but I agree Brommer was a very well thought of BB talent who just never put it all together.

looking at players being recruited that are still growing Rak has gone from 6'9 190 by ESPN to 6'11 215 lbs by ESPN. Painter at 6'10 215 lbs is reportedly still growing.

Pemsyl may or may not grow anymore, that will be determined on how his knees can handle the growing, Rivals list him as a 6'8 235 lb SF and ESPN lists him as a PF, me I will just call him a combo Forward and that is why I am not worried about Fran getting Cook or not. I am still hoping for these 3

6'5 Heuter
6'10 Painter
6'11 Rakocevic

the latter 2 as both can and will play both center and Forward and can play at the same time. I look at Rak taking Uthoff spot with Painter taking Woodbury's spot. Pemsyl already is as big as Cook and the team will have Wagner as a SO and Jones will be a SR.

to me Cook is a low priority in terms of need going forward. Fran may look at it differently and in the end the only opinion that counts is Fran's AND he will get who he get and fans should be happy either way.

6'5 Heuter
6'10 Painter
6'11 Rakocevic

^^Yes, please. Don't know how realistic it is but give me that class. Cook would be nice if we can get him, he looks to be the real deal.

huh? not sure what you are trying to claim here. are you a doctor?
not a DR but in other cases my son being one, the Dr told him he could grow to 6'3-6'4 and stopped at 5'11, growth spurts are hit and miss and with Knee surgery that can alter that prediction. if he grows he grows fine its not that big a deal a 6'8 235 lb combo is a wide body that teams will have to match up against.

reminds me of Rogers of Wake Forest a long time ago he gave fits to teams back then.

Cook is a big need.

Very strong, a low post offensive player and has the strength to defend as well

Interesting thread as Villanova is recruiting Huerter, Stevens and Painter. I guess Fran still has solid connections to his old stomping ground. Huerter would most likely play point (if the goes to Villanova) and if he reclassifies to 2017 there might be better spacing with Jalen Brunson and Phil Booth already in the house. Stevens is a bit of a 'tweener but we always seem to need size. The NC State loss still smarts. He has our offer on the table but appears to be exploring his options. Painter is visiting the campus next week. We need another big to complement Spellman. He may be a 'tweener as he might drop 10 to 20 in the conditioning process. First choices are Durham or Bamba but they are probably a stretch.

I started to periodically read this board a couple of years ago when we played and always enjoy to get your perspective.

Reactions: nu2u
with Pemsyl knee issues would that not hamper his explosiveness, also if Pemsyl should grow another inch or two I would think the difference would be minimal. Fran has been in on a lot of players early, so that really makes no difference,
Cook is rated # 79 overall
Pemsyl was is #133rd overall and will not be reevaluated. as for possible PF's that is up in the air, my favorite would still Rak who is rated 75th overall and at 6'11 215 lbs is just as athletic, taller by 3 inches and has a longer reach. but for body size Pemsyl fits that bill.

thx for responding though every opinion is welcome. and sometimes needed. I like to hear both sides of why somebody wants a certain player.

one more note Wagner is being compared to Basabe, again duplication in my opinion. it will be interesting who does end up committing then we can discuss what each brings to the team be it Height or bulk and/or athletic ability.

if anyone has anymore info on Pemsyl the updates will be appreciated.

with Pemsyl knee issues would that not hamper his explosiveness, also if Pemsyl should grow another inch or two I would think the difference would be minimal. Fran has been in on a lot of players early, so that really makes no difference,
Cook is rated # 79 overall
Pemsyl was is #133rd overall and will not be reevaluated. as for possible PF's that is up in the air, my favorite would still Rak who is rated 75th overall and at 6'11 215 lbs is just as athletic, taller by 3 inches and has a longer reach. but for body size Pemsyl fits that bill.

thx for responding though every opinion is welcome. and sometimes needed. I like to hear both sides of why somebody wants a certain player.

one more note Wagner is being compared to Basabe, again duplication in my opinion. it will be interesting who does end up committing then we can discuss what each brings to the team be it Height or bulk and/or athletic ability.

if anyone has anymore info on Pemsyl the updates will be appreciated.
I'm not as concerned with what another inch of height would do for Pemsl's ranking as what it would mean for which positions he could effectively defend. With his bulk, at 6'9", he could defend most post players. Cook or Rak could work well with a healthy Pemsl for different reasons. Cordell's shooting could make a physical tandem with Cook. CP's bulk would make up for Rak's lack of same.

Current comparisons to Basabe essentially mean athleticism without range. But both Cook and Wagner are more physical than Mel was. Both also have more range than Basabe did as a freshman. Cook's bulk and a little more height mean he can play a more physical game closer to the basket.

Cook also runs the floor and would be a guy that would threaten Aaron White's dunk record ;)

I like the idea of Cook and Pemsl together on the floor.

Cook also runs the floor and would be a guy that would threaten Aaron White's dunk record ;)

I like the idea of Cook and Pemsl together on the floor.
Yep no question. Other teams won't pemsl passes really realy well. Think he could be a point forward.

painter could be a point forward from day 1

Pemsl has a long, long way to go if he wants to be a point forward. i don't see him playing anything but the 4 or perhaps the 5 if he grows

Fran sees him as a 3 but I supposes you know more than Fran. with Fran everybody needs to stop thinking in terms of typical BB terms, from the type of players he recruits he is not into specific position for his players, he wants versital players that can play multiple position and does not seek to really want big bulky players.

Rak is now up to 215 lbs that is a full 25 lbs heavier, he has another year in HS to gain another 15 lbs that would put him at 240 lbs and he can run the floor just as well as Cook with better range on his shot.

in the end all that matters is who commits as there are only 3 rides left. Pemsyl has range on his shot and before his knee issues was explosive. this is going to be a fun group to watch in the recruiting process, this class could have 3 top 100 prospects in it.

I could care less what anyone in this recruiting class is ranked. But I do like that we are getting good interest from our top targets.

Don't know more than Fran.

What I do know from watching Pemsl play is that he needs to develop his game quite a bit if he is going to play the 3.

Sometimes coaches tell kids what they want to hear.

Also what we hear is that Pemsl may still be growing.

Watch his tape and then Painter's tape. You tell me who is the 3

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT