ADVERTISEMENT

last 3 to finish the 2016 class

Fran sees him as a 3 but I supposes you know more than Fran. with Fran everybody needs to stop thinking in terms of typical BB terms, from the type of players he recruits he is not into specific position for his players, he wants versital players that can play multiple position and does not seek to really want big bulky players.

Rak is now up to 215 lbs that is a full 25 lbs heavier, he has another year in HS to gain another 15 lbs that would put him at 240 lbs and he can run the floor just as well as Cook with better range on his shot.

in the end all that matters is who commits as there are only 3 rides left. Pemsyl has range on his shot and before his knee issues was explosive. this is going to be a fun group to watch in the recruiting process, this class could have 3 top 100 prospects in it.

Where has Fran ever said he thinks Pemsl is a 3?

Pemsl has a good, smooth inside game, and is a decent shooter from outside, but he is not a wing at the college level, offensively or defensively. I'm not going to say any of Rak, Painter, Cook are either as far as both ends of the court, but they are all likely more adept at it than Pemsl.

And before you go there, I like the Pemsl commitment and think he'll do very well at Iowa if he can overcome his injuries. He's just not a 3 though.

Cook
A breakdown PG
Best available player

Cook is actually my cornerstone recruit, assuming a breakdown PG will be signed. I think he's much more athletic than Basabe. Closer to Doug Thomas in term of explosiveness. Kind of reminds me of JaeSean Tate of OSU. I think Cook has more bounce but will have to prove he can play with a motor like Tate's. If he comes close, Tyler will be a very nice player.

I would be happy with any of the recruits we are hearing about. I like Painter. I like Rak. I just think Cook gives the team a higher ceiling. Hawks will already have nice athleticism on the wing and perimeter. Adding a tough and athletic player inside, I think, takes that team to another level. My vote is for the bounce, shoulders, and love of tough play TC possesses. I think he is the difference-maker

I could care less what anyone in this recruiting class is ranked. But I do like that we are getting good interest from our top targets.
then why do so many keep calling for Fran to get top 100 kids to be successful in the BT?

you do it as you try to be the know it all on this board.

Really? Here is a direct quote from Dan, just a few posts up:

"I could care less what anyone in this recruiting class is ranked. But I do like that we are getting good interest from our top targets."

You, on the other hand, are notorious for spouting off rankings and stars in nearly every post. Nobody here is disappointed with Pemsyl. He is not as athletic as Cook. Has nothing to do with where he's from (May was a hell of an athlete from Iowa, and white to boot). He just doesn't have the bounce that Cook does. Imo, he's more of a poor man's Georges Niang. He can be a great player without being a super athlete. Nobody is knocking Pemsyl or the team or Fran.

Really? Here is a direct quote from Dan, just a few posts up:

"I could care less what anyone in this recruiting class is ranked. But I do like that we are getting good interest from our top targets."

You, on the other hand, are notorious for spouting off rankings and stars in nearly every post. Nobody here is disappointed with Pemsyl. He is not as athletic as Cook. Has nothing to do with where he's from (May was a hell of an athlete from Iowa, and white to boot). He just doesn't have the bounce that Cook does. Imo, he's more of a poor man's Georges Niang. He can be a great player without being a super athlete. Nobody is knocking Pemsyl or the team or Fran.

C'mon IC, you know herbie is the only true fan of Fran and the Hawks, so if you disagree with him, you hate the Hawks and Fran (at least, that's how it plays out in his mind).

C'mon IC, you know herbie is the only true fan of Fran and the Hawks, so if you disagree with him, you hate the Hawks and Fran (at least, that's how it plays out in his mind).
no I hate anyone that lies about a prior coach, saying attenmdence was dropping in Davis's last few years, attendance didn't start going down until AFTER the PP incident under SA. and these were Davis's last 4 years,
95-96 23-9 11-7 BT 4TH place finish
96-97 22-10 12-6 BT T 2nd
97-98 20-11 9-7 BT T 5th
98-99 20-10 9-7 BT T 3rd
85-40 41-27 BT is not mediocre. with his attitude he will be in favor of running Fran off just like he was with running Davis off. now you back him all you want but don't bust my chops by doing so.

Last edited:
no I hate anyone that lies about a prior coach, saying attenmdence was dropping in Davis's last few years, attendance didn't start going down until AFTER the PP incident under SA. and these were Davis's last 4 years,
95-96 23-9 11-7 BT 4TH place finish
96-97 22-10 12-6 BT T 2nd
97-98 20-11 9-7 BT T 5th
98-99 20-10 9-7 BT T 3rd
85-40 41-27 BT is not mediocre. with his attitude he will be in favor of running Fran off just like he was with running Davis off. now you back him all you want but don't bust my chops by doing so.

What the hell does anything in this post have to do with the 2016 recruiting class?

"no I hate anyone that lies about a prior coach, saying attenmdence was dropping in Davis's last few years..."

You are the liar.

1987: 14,593 (For sake of time I'll skip all the season's Iowa avg'd between 15,000-15,500 per game.)
1991: 14,874
1997: 14,586
1998: 13,963
1999: 14,173

Attendance clearly was dropping. As to future figures...good luck trying to explain how anyone would know what WAS going to happen in the future.

"no I hate anyone that lies about a prior coach, saying attenmdence was dropping in Davis's last few years..."

You are the liar.

1987: 14,593 (For sake of time I'll skip all the season's Iowa avg'd between 15,000-15,500 per game.)
1991: 14,874
1997: 14,586
1998: 13,963
1999: 14,173

Attendance clearly was dropping. As to future figures...good luck trying to explain how anyone would know what WAS going to happen in the future.
blah blah blah you were clearly in favor of running Davis off because he was not winning enough, and called him out for becoming a mediocre coach, going 85-40 his last 4 years is not mediocre. you know no more about BB than anyone else on these board but continue to post like you know everything about BB.

blah blah blah you were clearly in favor of running Davis off because he was not winning enough, and called him out for becoming a mediocre coach, going 85-40 his last 4 years is not mediocre. you know no more about BB than anyone else on these board but continue to post like you know everything about BB.
ps that year Davis was a lame duck so attendance was down NOT BECAUSE OF Davis's teams as you try to make it out to be.

everything as Danl53 is the self appointed expert in everything BB.
Wtf are you talking about? Dan consistently provides an admittedly rosy opinion on Iowa hoops. He is quick to offer his thoughts (it's a message board, if you don't like him having an opinion, why are you here?) and often posts informative and thought provoking stuff. You don't have to agree with all of it, but you don't need to start calling him out for stuff he hasn't done. Nowhere has he claimed to be some expert or know everything. In my opinion, he is pretty humble about hsis posts and is a positive value add. I'm not sure I can say that about you Kilroy. You manage to derail thread and intimate things from posts I'm not sure anyone would ever intend. You're very outspoken with your opinion, stop acting you're the only one allowed to have one.

Reactions: LaoHawk
Hey Herby, glad you're back just in time for recruiting talk!! Dog eat your old password again?

I would personally and hopefully realistically like to see:

PG: Moore
SG: Santos/Huerter
PF/C: Rakocevic

Moore obviously brings a lot to the table as a true PG which we will need to Gesell and Sapp graduating.

Santos I really like his size and ability to get to the rim. I think he has really fallen in the ratings due to his wrist injury which in the long run could be a benefit because the blue bloods are backing off.

Huerter I don't know as much about but any time someone can shoot from the outside its a great thing.

I would love to see Rakocevic play the inside-out game like the Wisconsin bigs so often play.

Tubby Smith pulled Brommer's Minny offer after he was hired. He was not very talented.

He wasn't talented but he did have potential--he was quite agile and quick for his size. I think as time went on it became clearer and clearer that he never was going to realize that potential and I'm sure Tubby (rightly, it turns out) didn't want to risk a scholarship on a guy who wasn't showing much progression at his level. We took a shot partially because we were a bit more desperate for players and so we needed to gamble a bit more. He could've been an effective post player had he learned to use his size a little better and played with more aggression but he never did.

Getting Huerter would be a nice catch over a lot of competition. Absolutely need two centers/tall thick forwards. 6'9" or otherwise Hawks are tiny in 16-17.

The funny thing is that Dan was one of the few people polite enough to try to treat Herby like a normal person.

I learned along time ago , never attempt to engage Herby as if he were sane.

He's either a crazy person or a brilliant and extremely determined troll, either way you lose.

What am I missing on santos?

Every comment always includes some sort of injury.

Maybe he isn't the same player as he was projected

IDK...just asking

What am I missing on santos?

Every comment always includes some sort of injury.

Maybe he isn't the same player as he was projected

IDK...just asking

I don't know details, but it seems like Santos hasn't been able to stay healthy the past couple of years. Nice package of size and skills, if he can stay on the court.

I really think Moore or Simpson at point

Cook and/or Painter inside

Huerter will be tough to lure from out East.

I think Rak, Carr, Santos, Daniels and others mentioned are less likely.

To bump this...any word on whether Rakocevic will actually visit? Moore was in IC this weekend and Painter is scheduled next weekend. Rumors are Huerter is visiting Michigan. Wonder if he will come here as well. Cook would be a great get and some rumors are we stand high with Willie Jackson, which might impact Santos. I would love Tony Carr but that may be a tough sell. Are we still looking at Keita? Benson has an offer, Kreider not yet. Oh well, at least Fran is busy.

To bump this...any word on whether Rakocevic will actually visit? Moore was in IC this weekend and Painter is scheduled next weekend. Rumors are Huerter is visiting Michigan. Wonder if he will come here as well. Cook would be a great get and some rumors are we stand high with Willie Jackson, which might impact Santos. I would love Tony Carr but that may be a tough sell. Are we still looking at Keita? Benson has an offer, Kreider not yet. Oh well, at least Fran is busy.
Rakocevic did visit; I believe Cook did as well- both unofficially. Who is Kreider?

I'm not normally a pessimist, but does anyone else have any worries about Moore's size, and what it means for his ability to play in the Big 10?

On the one hand, his success in playing at a high level in Chicago is a good sign that he can withstand very good competition. And no doubting his speed, just from the video I saw. But 5"9, 5"10-ish point guards are going to have a much tougher time making it in the league that guys in the 6"1-6'2 category.

Maybe my opinion is clouded by seeing Dickerson's struggles last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT